Old 05-29-2009, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedman1 View Post

sounds good. Interested in your thoughts after you get the treatments.

Will definitely post pictures and impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenish03 View Post

Did you order their GIK ArtPanel's or just the normal ones? I am interested to hear your feedback on the sound improvements. I would think it will be quite drastic considering the environment (glass/concrete/open spaces).

By the way, great looking setup and great view.

Was VERY tempted to go ArtPanel, but the issue in this place is that it's rented, which means no drilling into the concrete to hang anything. Otherwise, it would've been a great option for the back wall, in particular.

I've got 2 244's (to flank the TV), 3 242's (for the window side...not permanently mounting them. Will place and remove for movies, but not giving up that view permanently), and a pair of Tri-Traps on the way (to lay along the bottom of the back wall).

I also added a large area rug to the floor already.

You'll get a layman's perspective on the sound improvements, but I will definitely post my thoughts once everything is installed.

And thanks for the compliments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

New goodies:

GIK Acoustics 244 x 2

GIK Acoustics 242 x 3

GIK Acoustics Tri-Traps x 2

The 244's and the Tri-Traps showed up, so I thought I'd throw up a couple of pics.

Initial impressions? Wow. It took a minute, because I can't imagine this room would ever be easy to tame, but there is a DEFINITE difference. It's tough to describe, though. The best way I can think of is, is that the sweet spot is simply sweeter. The level of clarity is ridiculously improved. Had to actually turn up the sub which did the sub a LOT more justice. Everything is just tighter from top to bottom. I have the feeling that adding the 242's to lessen the impact of those huge windows will make an even bigger difference.

Needless to say, I'm really happy, and the experience in both assessing my room, and purchasing from GIK was great. Highly recommend.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice looking panels. Have you considered drapes/curtains for the windows (or maybe you already have them)? That does seem like a rather live room reflection wise. Nice set-up. Very clean looking.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv View Post

Nice looking panels. Have you considered drapes/curtains for the windows (or maybe you already have them)? That does seem like a rather live room reflection wise. Nice set-up. Very clean looking.

Thanks!

The pains of renting...curtains aren't really an option. The 242s will serve as reflection point cures when they arrive.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:22 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks for posting your impressions. The traps and colors chosen really fit that layout well.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
your setup keeps getting better and better. every time i revisit this, theres something new, and it somehow makes your place look even slicker

2.0 > 7.1
Old 06-30-2009, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphile View Post

your setup keeps getting better and better. every time i revisit this, theres something new, and it somehow makes your place look even slicker

That's flattering, thanks. I try to keep the upgrade bug at bay for as long as I can...but it doesn't last long.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Added an Emotiva XPA-3

Old 08-24-2009, 06:14 PM

Nice! I'm going to pull the trigger on a XPA-3 as soon as the funds allow. I really love your setup- it looks so professional. Are your panels a stock color or are they custom? I didn't see anything like that on GIK's site.

Edit: Make sure you post pics of your setup on the Emo forum. I think the guys over there will really like it too.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman193 View Post

Nice! I'm going to pull the trigger on a XPA-3 as soon as the funds allow. I really love your setup- it looks so professional. Are your panels a stock color or are they custom? I didn't see anything like that on GIK's site.

Thanks, Matt! Really appreciate that.

The panels are technically a "custom" color, in that, I had to pay the couple bucks extra to have them made with it. But they're a pretty standard color for them. It's the "Deep Burgundy" in the top row found here: http://www.gikacoustics.com/gom_fabrics.html
Old 08-24-2009, 06:24 PM

Thanks for link. Somehow I missed that page.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:11 PM

Roger That, your system just keeps on evolving. I like the look of that Emotiva in your setup. How has it affected the sound of your 5 series speakers? I have to admit that your original setup pictures are what inspired me to pick up a pair of 5Bs and a Bravus 10D. Thanks for posting such excellent pictures and for keeping us all in the loop as you continually upgrade and advance.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well...can't say that I'm responsible for inspiration often. hahaha

Seriously, though...truly flattering, thanks.

I haven't done much critical listening, nor any A/B comparison with my Onkyo. I can tell you that I have zero complaints, that's for sure. Clarity is amazing. But again...the 876 is kind of a beast, so I don't know that I improved it a ton.

I've only really watched TV on it so far. Hope to get in a movie or two this weekend to really put it to the test.

Buying this was more of a "too good of a deal to pass up" scenario than an "I need more power for this room" one. I hope to be in a bigger place in the next year, as well as throw some 6-series up front, so this was going to be an eventual "get" anyway.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:23 AM

Wow...amazing setup and place. I drooled at the view...of the home theater system!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ha! Thanks VeeM3. I appreciate it.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

...i need to stop checking your setup thread. everytime i do i get off of the computer, look at my setup and die a little on the inside

congrats on the emotiva!! im pretty sure there is some sort of unwritten rule saying if you post pics, you better have given it a good listen. get on that!

2.0 > 7.1
Old 09-14-2009, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh...I've definitely given it some good ear time since that post. I'm too lazy to do A-B, but there is definitely even more clarity than before. Pretty impressive what lots of clean power will get you.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello Roger That!

I'd like to extend to you a belated congrats on the addition of the GIK acoustic treatments and the new Emotiva XPA-3. With both of those additions, the Aperions must sound fantastic.

Is that an Antec cooling pad you have positioned atop the Onyko 876? And being that you have the Emotiva pushing your front three channels, do you find that the cool pad is still needed for the Onkyo?

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
Old 10-02-2009, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Hello Roger That!

I'd like to extend to you a belated congrats on the addition of the GIK acoustic treatments and the new Emotiva XPA-3. With both of those additions, the Aperions must sound fantastic.

Is that an Antec cooling pad you have positioned atop the Onyko 876? And being that you have the Emotiva pushing your front three channels, do you find that the cool pad is still needed for the Onkyo?

Regards.

ldgibson76,

As always, thanks for the kind words. SO happy with how things are progressing.

The cooling setup is this: http://www.coolerguys.com/ccstandk.html

I doubt the Onkyo still needs it, but I haven't really found another use for it, so I've just left it as-is for the time being. I'll have to take it off one of these days to see how much that sucker still heats up, if at all. It was REALLY hot with all 5 driven (prior to the fan).

Thanks again.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger That View Post

ldgibson76,

As always, thanks for the kind words. SO happy with how things are progressing.

The cooling setup is this: http://www.coolerguys.com/ccstandk.html

I doubt the Onkyo still needs it, but I haven't really found another use for it, so I've just left it as-is for the time being. I'll have to take it off one of these days to see how much that sucker still heats up, if at all. It was REALLY hot with all 5 driven (prior to the fan).

Thanks again.

It's good to hear that you are enjoying the modifications! and thanks for the link. It looks like a pretty nice product. Now, what have you decided to do as far as 2 channel music playback is concerned? Are you still using the PS3 for music? Your system is now ready for the new Emotiva ERC-1 Reference CD Player! i just don't know where you would position it on your rack.

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
Old 10-03-2009, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I mostly use AirTunes (iTunes + Airport Express + iPhone to control it) wirelessly from my iMac when listening to music (which isn't all that often).

I'm gearing up to buy a condo/house in the next couple of months, so I've been putting my energy into that, and will probably hold off on any more upgrades until I get settled into that place and assess any needs that arise with the new layout. Eventually, projector/screen, legit 2-channel setup (likely Emotiva ESP-1/ERC-1), more specific acoustic treatments (since I'll be an owner at that point, and can make decisions accordingly).
Old 12-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

sounds like a god list of upgrades. and you already know which company to get speakers from. those 6T's would sound incredible with some Emotiva equip

and i can +1 the appreciation for the cooling fan link. ive been looking for a product like that for a long time. thanks!

2.0 > 7.1
Old 12-14-2009, 08:11 PM

looks awesome. what are those speakers
Old 12-14-2009, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks.

Aperion Audio. All info on my setup can be found in the first post of the thread.