Almost complete..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 04-06-2009, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Over the last few years I have had fun swapping components in and out of my system 1 by 1 while I find the perfect set of components for my needs on a budget. My journey has been going on 7 years (most occurring in last 3 years), and I have had the opportunity to basically turn over my entire system. In fact, not one component of my original set up remains (including my tv stand)…..

Original Equipment List (as of May 2002):
• 27” Samsung CRT – purchased in 1998 w/ brother in college (retired)
• Paradigm Mini Monitors V.3 (retired)
• Paradigm CC370 V.3 (retired)
• Paradigm ADP170 V.3 (retired)
• Paradigm PDR12 V.3 (retired)
• Harman Kardon AVR225 (retired)
• Monster Cables (retired)
• Bricks & Laminate Shelving - DIY AV/TV rack college style (retired)
• Xbox (retired)
• Panasonic XV-S500 DVD Player (retired)
• Target Power Strip (retired)

Original system (pic take in 2003 - just married and moved into apartment):

I got married in 2003, and we were strapped our first year, so it wasn’t till late 2004 till the fun continued. Below are the upgrades I have gone through in chronological order. I’m sure I don’t have the timing correct on all items, but I’m estimating here (Primary System)

Upgrades:
• 50” Sony Wega RP LCD (retired) Fall 2004
• Sanus TV Stand (retired) Fall 2004
• Monster Power HTS 5100 Spring 2005
• Harmony 550 Summer 2006
• Squeezebox 3 (secondary) Fall 2006
• CIAudio VDC-SB (secondary) Fall 2006
• CIAudio VDA-2/VAC-1 (retired) Winter 2006
• Paradigm 60’s Summer 2006
• Paradigm ADP590 Fall 2007
• Blue Jeans Cables Fall 2007
• NAD C162/C272 (retired) Winter 2007
• Xbox 360 Winter 2008
• Outlaw 7500 Winter 2008
• Paradigm CC690 V.4 Spring 2008
• Salamander Synergy Triple 20 Summer 2008
• Outlaw RR2150 (secondary) Summer 2008
• SVS PC-13 Ultra Fall 2008
• Outlaw 970 Winter 2008
• REW Software/Hardware Spring 2009
• PDR AWM250 Mount Spring 2009
• Pioneer KRP-600M Plasma Spring 2009
Coming Soon:
• Oppo BDP-83 (still sulking as I’m not in the EAP, but programmed on my remote…)
• Squeeze Box Duet
• Outlaw 997

Current secondary system – many components above flowed through secondary system at some point:
• Outlaw RR2150
• Orb Audio Mod2 X 4 (soon to be retired)
• Orb Super 8 sub (soon to be retired)
• SB3/CIAudio VDC-SB
Coming Soon:
• NHT IW3’s
• NHT Classic’s
• Emotiva UPA-2??

If you follow my chronology in the primary system, you will notice that I jumped out of 5.1 to 2 channel for most of 2008. This was a period of time where I auditioned many receivers and amps. Couldn’t resist the NAD combo, which I loved, but home theater is first for me. I found the Outlaw 7500 and paired with a 970 – largest improvement so far. The Harmony Remote is the simplest but probably the most important piece I own. The SVS sub, well, that is has its own story as far as upgrades go: simply put – Amazing! The Pioneer is my most recent upgrade and it has enabled me to finally put my CC690 into commission, as it just didn’t fit under my Sony. The center channel has sadly been in storage since I purchased almost a year ago – couldn’t pass up the deal of a lifetime – you can imagine how excited I was to hook that up. The articulating mount for the TV helps me center the TV with the front stage by “floating” over the center.

My secondary system solely relies on the SB3, which is streaming lossless FLAC files from my computer over a wireless network. I plan to expand this to sync up another squeezebox in the primary system as well as the backyard this summer. (not pictured)

As of Fall 2004 (old house):

(please excuse the mess - I see the level and some tools out - I must have been still hanging pictures, etc.)

My theater today:

I know - I still need to run wires through the wall behind the TV. Should be done this weekend.

I say "almost complete", but who am I kidding? I love this hobby!

Thank you all here at AVS for all the help I have received over the last few years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-06-2009, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great shakes ! I LOVE your decor. That is killer ! This is definitely one of my fav's. I can't get over it. You have a aquired quite a collection of components not to mention the canvas on which they reside is a masterpiece. Well done

Live...Laugh...Love...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-06-2009, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks plasmattack! I have had a lot of fun watching your thread. Others have mentioned your enthusiasm on this board, I guess you inspired me to finally put my thread together.

Funny thing about the decor is that it just kind of grew off a few wedding presents back in 2003. My wife registered at Pier One on the registry which included the two giraffes and the large pot. We got the "kissing" mohogany carving on our honeymoon in the Dominican Republic. The foot stool was a gift to us from my folks a few years back. I fought the couch as I wanted club chairs for comfort, my wife wanted a couch. I knew better than to push back...

As for the components and gear, my wife had no say. That was mine with the help of my friends here at AVS forum along with some great deals from ebay, craigslist, audiogon, SVS, and Outlaw.

post #4 of 19 Old 04-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Really really like the setup. Talk about an evolution. Great job!

post #5 of 19 Old 04-07-2009, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I love that the SVS sub makes your giraffe look tiny...i had this funny image of a life size giraffe with a cylindrical sub towering over it...mmmmmm 24' sub.......

I love the mood your decor sets, must be great for watching moving and listening to music.

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

post #6 of 19 Old 04-07-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskurfer View Post

Thanks plasmattack! I have had a lot of fun watching your thread. Others have mentioned your enthusiasm on this board, I guess you inspired me to finally put my thread together.

Funny thing about the decor is that it just kind of grew off a few wedding presents back in 2003. My wife registered at Pier One on the registry which included the two giraffes and the large pot. We got the "kissing" mohogany carving on our honeymoon in the Dominican Republic. The foot stool was a gift to us from my folks a few years back. I fought the couch as I wanted club chairs for comfort, my wife wanted a couch. I knew better than to push back...

As for the components and gear, my wife had no say. That was mine with the help of my friends here at AVS forum along with some great deals from ebay, craigslist, audiogon, SVS, and Outlaw.

Thanks man! I look forward to your thread as well . I'm super glad that I inspired you to put it up, that's very nice of you to say. You got me thinking of what our wedding gifts were and they must not have been very nice because I don't remember them . That's even better for you though because not only is it killer decor but it has meaning and memories behind it. Pier One would have definitely been a great place to register. I wonder if my family would mind if we renew our vows and I register at Pier One .

I am keeping my eyes peeled also for great deals. So far other than getting my amp $70 off on sale and my TV online for $150 less than retail I've paid full price for pretty much everything I need to be a smarter shopper. The advice on here is by far worth paying for. It's awesome that it's free.

I know better than to resist the wife as well. I tried it a few times when we were dating and found that it wasn't optimal for my health I've found that she is pretty easy to get on board as long as I present it right When we were first married nearly 10 years ago she came home from work one day and I asked her if she would take me to pick up my brand new Dodge truck I had bought that day Guess I should have mentioned that one

Live...Laugh...Love...

post #7 of 19 Old 04-07-2009, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the compliments!

Roger That - the evolution of the system has been a ton of fun, I'm sure I will have some more, but my list of upgrades is no where near as long as it was 3 years ago.

premiertrussman - never thought of the giraffe contrast before. I like that! Those SVS subs are beasts, it is actually making that once large giraffe seem very small.

plasmattack - the tough part of finding deals is that it may be a very long while for the right deal to come about on the item that you are looking for. or - it may come 1 year prior to a need, as my center channel is an example of that. and when they do come, you have to be ready and act fast. I got my amp off of craigslist ($800 off), my brother-in-law actually did the transaction for me as it was 7 hours away from where I live and only 45 minutes from him. it is all worth it, and it is a lot of fun.. I got similar deals on my fronts (craigslist) and rear speakers (audiogon).

post #8 of 19 Old 04-07-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:

plasmattack - the tough part of finding deals is that it may be a very long while for the right deal to come about on the item that you are looking for. or - it may come 1 year prior to a need, as my center channel is an example of that. and when they do come, you have to be ready and act fast. I got my amp off of craigslist ($800 off), my brother-in-law actually did the transaction for me as it was 7 hours away from where I live and only 45 minutes from him. it is all worth it, and it is a lot of fun.. I got similar deals on my fronts (craigslist) and rear speakers (audiogon).

I hear you. Good deals favor those with cash in hand and a map to where they're project is headed . I've bought and sold quite a few things on Craigslist also. It's a great place for deals. I've started watching Audiogon as a recommendation of a fellow member. I'm now saving for a PS3, projector, screen, new mains, center, sub and surrounds and leather theater seating

Live...Laugh...Love...

post #9 of 19 Old 04-08-2009, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmattack View Post

I hear you. Good deals favor those with cash in hand and a map to where they're project is headed . I've bought and sold quite a few things on Craigslist also. It's a great place for deals. I've started watching Audiogon as a recommendation of a fellow member. I'm now saving for a PS3, projector, screen, new mains, center, sub and surrounds and leather theater seating

ps3 for gaming or blu-ray? I guess it is one of the best blu-ray players available.

I was looking into projectors as well, plenty of options at reasonable prices. I started looking at projectors 4 years ago and just recently left that idea. The progress on projectors in the last 4 years is incredible.

You can easily find many great options at the 2.5k mark offering 1080p. I didn't audition many subs, but i went with the feedback here on internet direct companies and decided on the svs ultra with no regrets. sounds as if you are where I was roughly 3 years ago. a very good start with a lot of fun ideas on where you are going with it.

good choice on theater seating if you can swing it. didn't meet the WAF here. I tried compromising with club chairs and got shot down....

post #10 of 19 Old 04-08-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:

ps3 for gaming or blu-ray? I guess it is one of the best blu-ray players available.

I was looking into projectors as well, plenty of options at reasonable prices. I started looking at projectors 4 years ago and just recently left that idea. The progress on projectors in the last 4 years is incredible.

You can easily find many great options at the 2.5k mark offering 1080p. I didn't audition many subs, but i went with the feedback here on internet direct companies and decided on the svs ultra with no regrets. sounds as if you are where I was roughly 3 years ago. a very good start with a lot of fun ideas on where you are going with it.

good choice on theater seating if you can swing it. didn't meet the WAF here. I tried compromising with club chairs and got shot down....

As long as I stay down here (basement), I can pretty much get away with anything . She is showing her face more and more down here but I keep reminding her this is my area I came down the other day and she was decorating my man zone !

I am going to open my mind and ears alike to ID's as far as speakers go and cruise that avenue for a bit to see what's available. You're right on the money about projectors. They aren't priced too bad for what your're getting. I think I'll take the Plasma and hang it in the bedroom and put the screen on the wall where the tv is now. I've heard nothing but praise regarding svs, they must make a stellar sub.

The PS3 will be a better Blu player than what I have right now plus I'll be able burn music to it and not to mention game it up! When I heard you could game on a projector I pretty much passed out .

Your setup looks friggin awesome so don't worry about getting shot down by the boss. You have got a home that is to be envied .

Live...Laugh...Love...

post #11 of 19 Old 04-08-2009, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmattack View Post

Your setup looks friggin awesome so don't worry about getting shot down by the boss. You have got a home that is to be envied .

I'll tell her that, or maybe I shouldn't....

This is the only room in the house that she went safari with. The rest of the house is old world, which I admit I really like, and I don't get into decor all that much. My wife and her sisters get a big kick out of it though.

ID rocks - my Outlaw components are ID. my future blu-ray is also ID (oppo). many members here love that stuff.

post #12 of 19 Old 04-08-2009, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
ndskurfer,

What a transformation!! Very nice equipment choices and the room looks fabulous! Tell the boss we here think she has done an outstanding job with furniture and colors!!

It took me a while to digest the long equipment list... Lots of great components, and you're still waiting for a few!! I'm keeping a close eye on the new Oppo myself, it'll be my first Oppo. I like the fact that it supports most formats plus the attention they pay to their clients' concerns. That's huge.

Nicely done!

post #13 of 19 Old 04-08-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:

I'll tell her that, or maybe I shouldn't....

This is the only room in the house that she went safari with. The rest of the house is old world, which I admit I really like, and I don't get into decor all that much. My wife and her sisters get a big kick out of it though.

ID rocks - my Outlaw components are ID. my future blu-ray is also ID (oppo). many members here love that stuff.

I understand. Most of our 1st floor and office is victorian. Heck even our bedroom has victorian 4 post canopy bed. Luckily I talked her out of going with the canopy. That would just be too weird for me I like the old school decor also myself. Props to both of you for a job well done .

Yea I'm interested in some ID stuff I must admit. I am eager to give the Vienna's a listen after everything I've heard and read lately. I'm raising my bar and accepting the fact I may have to save a bit longer but will be happier in the long run.

Live...Laugh...Love...

post #14 of 19 Old 04-11-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How do you like the PC13-Ultra with that near-field placement? Did you try any other placements before deciding to place it where you did? Do you have any problems with localization of the bass?
post #15 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post

How do you like the PC13-Ultra with that near-field placement? Did you try any other placements before deciding to place it where you did? Do you have any problems with localization of the bass?

I am a good 7 feet from my seating position to the sub, but there is minor localization. Unfortunately there is no room in front, or it will block the plasma. I did try all along wall using REW, and I decided on the corner placement which gave me the best mix of practicality and eq.

post #16 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 08:06 AM

looks good!

i live the color of the orange, do you min sharing the color code and the brand?

thanks
post #17 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusioncav View Post

looks good!

i live the color of the orange, do you min sharing the color code and the brand?

thanks

I'll tell my wife that she did a good job with the decor.

We got the paint from Lowes (Valspar, Signature Base 4, Pompei Orange Interior Satin - WV32015)

Thanks!

post #18 of 19 Old 07-26-2009, 10:07 PM

I'm also a HUGE fan of the decor going on in this room. If I had access to all of that I don't think I'd ever want to leave. Great theater

- Woof
post #19 of 19 Old 03-05-2014, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

More changes...

New house, new tv, new processor, new subs, and many other new items... Most are not pictured, the contractors just finished up last night. I can't wait to start getting it all the equipment in place.

Looking to sell my Paradigm Studios to fund JTR Triple 8HT-LP's. I have shelves behind the screen cut to the dimensions of my future speakers.. I can't justify buying them while owning the Paradigms. The Middle Atlantic rack is awaiting shelves yet. I have a few faceplates that I have already received. My electrical to the equipement closet should be finalized on Friday. My Sony HW50ES is ceiling mounted, the screen is Seymour XD 2.35:1 CIH at 138" diagonal (recessed into wall).

Hallways are still pending paint. The media room was just all repainted with a darker flat paint. The ceiling was bright white, I opted against dark, but is a few shades darker than what it was with a flat paint now.

2c1ac5c5-1d7f-4782-be90-e8b1a01be77f.jpg
slemmon likes this.

Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page