The Ever-Changing HT - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1726 Old 05-10-2009, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I love the current setup Tim. It looks fantastic and im sure sounds even better. I love hearing about all the projects and speakers you have taken on over time! Great to see your still enjoying the WB's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1726 Old 05-10-2009, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks BigRed. It was frustrating at times, but the end result was worth the effort.
post #33 of 1726 Old 05-24-2009, 02:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Very nice.
I need to learn some cable management tips from you.

Mike
post #34 of 1726 Old 05-24-2009, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

Very nice.
I need to learn some cable management tips from you.

Mike

Thanks much. I'd be glad to offer up my help with making your own cables if you want to go that route.
post #35 of 1726 Old 05-24-2009, 08:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Thanks much. I'd be glad to offer up my help with making your own cables if you want to go that route.

Thanks.
That would be one step.
My setup is complicated by having a pull-out and rotating Middle Atlantic Rack (see my signature link if interested), so speaker wires (at least) have to have some "give" to them.
I just need to quit adding/changing stuff and then tie everything down so it looks neater.

Mike
post #36 of 1726 Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Tim,

I am very interested in learning how to build those cables - yours look awesome! If it's not too much trouble for you, I'd love to learn how!

Thanks!
post #37 of 1726 Old 05-26-2009, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Tim,

I am very interested in learning how to build those cables - yours look awesome! If it's not too much trouble for you, I'd love to learn how!

Thanks!

Here's everything you'll need. No soldering involved.

Cable: Canare L-4CFB (pick the color of your choice)
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...fb&pagesize=20

Canare crimp RCA connectors

Canare TS100E 5-Way Cable Stripping Tool
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...ip&pagesize=20

Canare TC1 Crimp Tool
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...ol&pagesize=20

Canare TC1 Crimp Tool die set

Instructions on attaching connectors to cable (very bottom of page):
http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDis...oductItemID=40

The tools will set you back a few hundred dollars, but they will last a life-time and with the low cost of the cable and connectors you will still save lots over exotic ICs.

If you want to get fancy, go to www.cableorganizer.com and pick the braided sleaving and shrink tubing of your choice to dress the cables up.
post #38 of 1726 Old 05-27-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Here's everything you'll need. No soldering involved.

Cable: Canare L-4CFB (pick the color of your choice)

Canare crimp RCA connectors

Canare TS100E 5-Way Cable Stripping Tool
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...ip&pagesize=20

Canare TC1 Crimp Tool

Canare TC1 Crimp Tool die set

Instructions on attaching connectors to cable (very bottom of page):
http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDis...oductItemID=40

The tools will set you back a few hundred dollars, but they will last a life-time and with the low cost of the cable and connectors you will still save lots over exotic ICs.

If you want to get fancy, go to www.cableorganizer.com and pick the braided sleaving and shrink tubing of your choice to dress the cables up.

Thanks.

Mike
post #39 of 1726 Old 05-27-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Great thread, and glad to see you around again, Tim. It's about time your journey was documented in it's own deserving thread, and with great pics to go along no less! Nice!

Your system looks beautiful man, and I love the custom cooling rack job. Saaweet!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #40 of 1726 Old 05-27-2009, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Great thread, and glad to see you around again, Tim. It's about time your journey was documented in it's own deserving thread, and with great pics to go along no less! Nice!

Your system looks beautiful man, and I love the custom cooling rack job. Saaweet!

Thanks Bradon.

Things have not been the same for me around here since the perfect speaker thread went silent. It had it's ups and downs, but it was something I really enjoyed being a part of.

I hope the Salks are still shinning brightly for ya.
post #41 of 1726 Old 05-27-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Tim,

Great info, I totally dig the braided sleeves because it helps the cables from twisting and keeps them organized.

Thanks again,
Dan
post #42 of 1726 Old 05-27-2009, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dan & Mike -

Glad to help. Let me know if you have any questions once you get your hands dirty.
post #43 of 1726 Old 05-28-2009, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Thanks Bradon.

Things have not been the same for me around here since the perfect speaker thread went silent. It had it's ups and downs, but it was something I really enjoyed being a part of.

I hope the Salks are still shinning brightly for ya.

It's something I enjoyed having you a part of. We all learned a lot from you, and your adventure was certainly fun to follow. Ah yes...the good 'ol days.

Now we have a new thread to hang out in (this one). Sweet! Oh, and the Salk's are still blowing my mind. Good stuff!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #44 of 1726 Old 05-28-2009, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

It's something I enjoyed having you a part of. We all learned a lot from you, and your adventure was certainly fun to follow. Ah yes...the good 'ol days.

Now we have a new thread to hang out in (this one). Sweet! Oh, and the Salk's are still blowing my mind. Good stuff!

Well you certainly started quite a following. That Salk thread is massive.
post #45 of 1726 Old 06-26-2009, 09:47 AM

Liked: 10
Impressive!

I really like your rack and CF speakers. I love carbon fiber!
post #46 of 1726 Old 07-01-2009, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranormalg35 View Post

Impressive!

I really like your rack and CF speakers. I love carbon fiber!

Sorry I missed your post, but thank you! What self-respecting male doesn't love carbon fiber?! Lighter than wood, stronger than steel, and it's all shimmery and woven. What's not to like?
post #47 of 1726 Old 07-02-2009, 09:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Tim-

Great thread, very nice set-up.... one quick question-

based on your local, wouldn't the mac-mini be a no-no

Glad I found this-

Cheers
Kevin
post #48 of 1726 Old 07-02-2009, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Hey Tim, just stumbled across your thread today. Very cool to be able to get a nutshell version of your adventures in Audio, all in one place. Great photos and stuff, too.

I'm very glad to hear that the W/B + Classe + Mac-mini system is having some serious staying power for you. That you haven't made any changes in so long really says a lot.

Cheers

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #49 of 1726 Old 07-02-2009, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink109 View Post

Tim-

Great thread, very nice set-up.... one quick question-

based on your local, wouldn't the mac-mini be a no-no

Glad I found this-

Cheers
Kevin

Thanks Kevin. If you are referring to the evil MS empire, makes no difference to me since I work for Mario the plumber, if you get my drift.
post #50 of 1726 Old 07-02-2009, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

Hey Tim, just stumbled across your thread today. Very cool to be able to get a nutshell version of your adventures in Audio, all in one place. Great photos and stuff, too.

I'm very glad to hear that the W/B + Classe + Mac-mini system is having some serious staying power for you. That you haven't made any changes in so long really says a lot.

Cheers

Hey Greg! Good to hear from ya. Hope your new set-up is still treating you well.

I'll admit that there are still times when my system sounds better than others, but I've been through enough gear to know when it is best to leave well enough alone.

It would be nice to have the means to just switch things out every other year, just for a different perspective, but there is a lot to like about the WB / Classe combo, and thankfully, it doesn't nothing offensive that would get under my skin over time.
post #51 of 1726 Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 PM

hey hifi, the style that your set up has is sweet. do you run a sub in that room? if so which one? and if not, do you plan on adding one? ive never heard W/B speakers but i will admit i'd be be surprised if those speakers really handle the lower frequencies well. classy though, keep rocking!
post #52 of 1726 Old 07-07-2009, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhertenderlips View Post

hey hifi, the style that your set up has is sweet. do you run a sub in that room? if so which one? and if not, do you plan on adding one? ive never heard W/B speakers but i will admit i'd be be surprised if those speakers really handle the lower frequencies well. classy though, keep rocking!

tenderlips -

Thanks for the compliment. I admit that while this system sounds great, it was just as important that it make a visual statement too. Audiophile jewelry if you will. It's like owning a nice sports car. Sure you could trick out a Honda to match the performance of a Porsche for a lot less money, but I think most would still rather own the Porsche.

If you look behind the right front speaker, you will see a JL Audio F112 subwoofer in the corner. While it certainly is needed to get full range sound, the Discovery's (the main fronts) are solid down to 40Hz, and they can pump that out at very high levels without compression or bottoming out.

One of my goals was to get the biggest, most effortless sound out of the smallest package possible. I don't know if you noticed, but there are three 7" drivers in each of those "stand mount" Wilson Benesch speakers. There's the mid/bass driver on the face of the speaker, and then two more bass drivers in an isobaric clamshell configuration on the bottom of the speaker. Wilson Benesch affectionately refers to the Discovery speakers as "micro floorstanders", and that's really how they perform-- like a medium sized floorstanding speaker crammed into the size of a standmount. The smallish JL sub was also chosen for this reason. I owned a somewhat large Velodyne DD15 sub prior to the JL F112, and honestly, the JL with a 12" driver, clearly provides a more visceral and dynamic sound than the 15" driver in the Velo.

Here's a look at the isobaric woofer clamshell inside the Discovery speaker.

You can see one of the woofers hanging out the bottom of the speaker in the shot below. The other is tucked inside.

Now if you'll excuse me, I got to go rock out!
post #53 of 1726 Old 07-07-2009, 10:53 PM

thanks boss
post #54 of 1726 Old 07-07-2009, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks boss

So Mr. Lips , I see that you work for the Magnolia division of Best Buy. You must have access to some pretty nice gear at a discount. Which speakers do you own? Def Tech, Monitor Audio, ML, Vienna?

BTW - did you know that Magnolia AV originated here in WA state? It was named after a ritzy area of Seattle where the first shop was located.
post #55 of 1726 Old 07-14-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello Tim.

I don't know if you can recall, but a while back, we exchanged posts and shared some laughs regarding your system and your quest for speaker perfection, nirvana, infinite bliss, or something along the lines of complete satisfaction! In your case, a lofty goal being that you pretty much auditioned, borrowed, traded and/or owned nearly every highly regarded speaker system out there!

During your time with the Revel Studio2's, I said to myself "Finally, the man has found his speaker soul mate!" Yeah right! Just ended up being another fling! Then low and behold, you find probably one of the most obscure speaker brands in the industry, Wilson-Benesch! No doubt, a "for those who know, knows" type of high-end speaker company. Top shelf!
The Discovery's are if not anything else unique in the approach, concept and construction, and are beautiful and probably the best sounding "micro floorstanding" speakers available. They must be because you've had them for more than 2 weeks!

I really hope you've achieved nirvana this time! Your quest has been an adventurous one. Congrats!

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #56 of 1726 Old 07-14-2009, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Hello Tim.

I don't know if you can recall, but a while back, we exchanged posts and shared some laughs regarding your system and your quest for speaker perfection, nirvana, infinite bliss, or something along the lines of complete satisfaction! In your case, a lofty goal being that you pretty much auditioned, borrowed, traded and/or owned nearly every highly regarded speaker system out there!

During your time with the Revel Studio2's, I said to myself "Finally, the man has found his speaker soul mate!" Yeah right! Just ended up being another fling! Then low and behold, you find probably one of the most obscure speaker brands in the industry, Wilson-Benesch! No doubt, a "for those who know, knows" type of high-end speaker company. Top shelf!
The Discovery's are if not anything else unique in the approach, concept and construction, and are beautiful and probably the best sounding "micro floorstanding" speakers available. They must be because you've had them for more than 2 weeks!

I really hope you've achieved nirvana this time! Your quest has been an adventurous one. Congrats!

Regards.

ldg -

I've been wondering when you would come around. Of course I remember our exchanges. I really thought the Revels would be the end to my search too, and even I'm surprised that I had to delve into the world of obscure speaker brands to get what I was after. For God's sake what will it take to please me?!

I've come to realize that no speaker will ever be perfect, because the music I listen to varies in recording quality so much that no one speaker can get it right for all of them, but, I am off the speaker buying merry-go-round thanks to my acceptance of this fact, and the help of some EQ for those particulary dissatisying recordings.

Good to hear from ya!
post #57 of 1726 Old 07-14-2009, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey hifisponge!

I have a few things I need to get off my chest!

1st! I never commented on the photos of the back of your component rack. Why? Because I was insanely envious of your cables and cable management!
The fact that you constructed them really set me off! Man, I could never assemble an interconnect or power cord. For me, it's an adventure just applying velcro strips to keep things in some kind of order! Hifi, it looks great!

2nd! The Classe separates! You really went "bargain basement" with that choice! Geez! What great equipment. Now Classe and B&W are normally suggested by most hifi retailers to be in tandem. Did you ever try the Nautilus series speakers?

And 3rd! Your gaming room! OK! If my gaming room looked like that, the minute my kids entered the room unsupervised, they would be up for adoption! Just kidding. The room looks great and the speaker pkg, where did you find those?!

Other than that, we're cool!

Regards.

P.S. The painstaking detail you put into your main room in regards to the acoustic treatment is to be commended! Outstanding!

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #58 of 1726 Old 07-14-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:

So Mr. Lips , I see that you work for the Magnolia division of Best Buy. You must have access to some pretty nice gear at a discount. Which speakers do you own? Def Tech, Monitor Audio, ML, Vienna?

BTW - did you know that Magnolia AV originated here in WA state? It was named after a ritzy area of Seattle where the first shop was located.

i was aware of the back story, its a shame some of the mag AVs had to close out that way. i will admit we are well taken care of at bby, although i usually just get bombarded about it on this site so i try to keep it on the down low. at the moment, my system is two old polk towers that are soon to be replaced by the VA mozart grands in white! we finally carry that finish. HK 3490 stereo receiver and tivoli cd player. pretty basic, but i love two channel and my 5.1 is down the road. thanks for asking.
post #59 of 1726 Old 07-15-2009, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Hey hifisponge!

I have a few things I need to get off my chest!

1st! I never commented on the photos of the back of your component rack. Why? Because I was insanely envious of your cables and cable management!
The fact that you constructed them really set me off! Man, I could never assemble an interconnect or power cord. For me, it's an adventure just applying velcro strips to keep things in some kind of order! Hifi, it looks great!

2nd! The Classe separates! You really went "bargain basement" with that choice! Geez! What great equipment. Now Classe and B&W are normally suggested by most hifi retailers to be in tandem. Did you ever try the Nautilus series speakers?

And 3rd! Your gaming room! OK! If my gaming room looked like that, the minute my kids entered the room unsupervised, they would be up for adoption! Just kidding. The room looks great and the speaker pkg, where did you find those?!

Other than that, we're cool!

Regards.

P.S. The painstaking detail you put into your main room in regards to the acoustic treatment is to be commended! Outstanding!

Regards.

ldg -

First, you are riot! Second, I like having you around. It makes my efforts toward perfection all worth while. Third, if and when I die, my system is yours. I'm altering my will right after this.

I'm sure that if you were to sit down with me for 30 minutes, I could teach you how to make your own interconnects. Its no more difficult than a snap together model.

Yes, I have listened to the B&W 800 series, and I really wanted to like the 803D's as much as I liked the 802D's, but they are not all that similar. The 802D's are much to big for my room. I think the Classe gear would sound great with any good set of speakers though. It has very little if any character of its own, and a wonderfully smooth yet high resolution sound.

The speakers in the game room are Monitor Audio Radius's. I was going to go with a cheap HTIB in that room, but all of the all-in-one systems I listened to made me cringe. The little MA's though, those will make you think twice about small speakers. I like the sound in that room almost as much as the big room and it was a drop in the bucket of the total cost of the main system. Go figure.

PS - I'm still laughing.
post #60 of 1726 Old 07-15-2009, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i was aware of the back story, its a shame some of the mag AVs had to close out that way. i will admit we are well taken care of at bby, although i usually just get bombarded about it on this site so i try to keep it on the down low. at the moment, my system is two old polk towers that are soon to be replaced by the VA mozart grands in white! we finally carry that finish. HK 3490 stereo receiver and tivoli cd player. pretty basic, but i love two channel and my 5.1 is down the road. thanks for asking.

Sorry if I hit a sore spot with my reference to getting a deal from your place of work. I'm sure you know that I wasn't digging for a deal, just curious if you yourself had used it to your advantage. I go broke if I worked at an AV store.

I like your sense of style. Mozarts in white will make a statement for sure. Do the Mozarts come with the cool metal base like the Beethovens? That powder coated black base would provide a nice point of visual contrast, and a nice finishing touch to a gloss white speaker.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page