My Apartment/House Setup - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 230 Old 04-11-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The house is almost complete and I close on April 30th. I cannot wait to get moved in and setup all my gear

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 230 Old 04-11-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I like the color of paint you chose for the house. A nice, rich gray with the white trim. The inside looks to have a lot of open space. Where will the A/V system go?
post #213 of 230 Old 04-11-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I like the color of paint you chose for the house. A nice, rich gray with the white trim. The inside looks to have a lot of open space. Where will the A/V system go?

Thanks! It's actually blue but in the sun it does look gray. The a/v system will go on the wall to the left of the fireplace. I don't have a recent picture but here is one after the drywall was put up.

post #214 of 230 Old 04-11-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Nice job so far. Do you have the house wire for whole house audio/video/internet? My first house was a disaster in that regard so I made sure the second house was better. That's history now though so back to apt. living for awhile which is why the Sonos system is appealing to me. Anyway good job on the house so far I can't wait to see what the system looks like all put together. You've definitely had an interesting ride here since I first started following your thread.
post #215 of 230 Old 04-12-2012, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 View Post

Thanks! It's actually blue but in the sun it does look gray. The a/v system will go on the wall to the left of the fireplace. I don't have a recent picture but here is one after the drywall was put up.

That's even better. I thought it looked bluish-gray, but ultimately called it gray. It's hard to miss with the lighter-colored houses on either side.

The room looks plenty big. Certainly, I wish my room were bigger. What are the dimensions in there?
post #216 of 230 Old 04-12-2012, 08:48 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 View Post

Thanks!

The apartment complex is Camden Cotton Mills. It's a super nice place, they are currently remodeling the apartments and making them even better. They just finished renovating the terrace and it looks amazing. Again, thanks for the comments.

No prob, I am in University area. Anyways that sub is a monster.

im purple!
xbl:pumbaa071
psn:antishock
post #217 of 230 Old 04-13-2012, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

That's even better. I thought it looked bluish-gray, but ultimately called it gray. It's hard to miss with the lighter-colored houses on either side.

The room looks plenty big. Certainly, I wish my room were bigger. What are the dimensions in there?

Haha yeah the house certainly is hard to miss between the lighter colored houses. It is a very colorful neighborhood.

The room is around 15x20, perhaps a little bigger but I'm just going from memory.
post #218 of 230 Old 04-13-2012, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Nice job so far. Do you have the house wire for whole house audio/video/internet? My first house was a disaster in that regard so I made sure the second house was better. That's history now though so back to apt. living for awhile which is why the Sonos system is appealing to me. Anyway good job on the house so far I can't wait to see what the system looks like all put together. You've definitely had an interesting ride here since I first started following your thread.

Yes, I have the place all wired up. Future proofing in the a/v area should be easy enough too with the crawl space right below it. Thanks for the nice comments!
post #219 of 230 Old 11-14-2012, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I bought a new TV since my old one decided it did not want to work anymore...60" Sharp

NewTV.jpg
post #220 of 230 Old 11-15-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 View Post

I bought a new TV since my old one decided it did not want to work anymore...60" Sharp
NewTV.jpg

What about the Sharp led you to choose it? How is the picture so far?
post #221 of 230 Old 11-15-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

What about the Sharp led you to choose it? How is the picture so far?

Honestly, it was cheap and since our TV went out unexpectedly, we were not in the market for something really expensive. I tend to like plasma TV's more, however, we have a window directly behind the seating area and the reflection alone would annoy the heck out of me. The Sharp was a great price so we jumped on it. Cable HD picture quality meets my expectations (There are definitely better TV's for PQ) but Blu-ray, Apple TV 1080p streams and Netflix HD streams all look fantastic so I am pleased with the purchase.

Anyway, I plan to mount the TV this weekend and get everything finally setup.
post #222 of 230 Old 11-18-2012, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally mounted the TV and I have everything setup pretty much the way I like it

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg
post #223 of 230 Old 11-18-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My speaker guardian tongue.gif
CFDF3C18-D2C9-4BEF-A884-56472C8D511E-1034-0000006613115ADA.jpg
post #224 of 230 Old 11-18-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I still think your speakers are some of the best I've seen in awhile. I love the finish. Also, how's the new tv so far? Any differences between it and your previous set? Also, I really like the distressed look on the av console. You going to do any treatments? The wall looks kinda large compared to the tv.
post #225 of 230 Old 11-18-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

I still think your speakers are some of the best I've seen in awhile. I love the finish. Also, how's the new tv so far? Any differences between it and your previous set? Also, I really like the distressed look on the av console. You going to do any treatments? The wall looks kinda large compared to the tv.

Thanks! The speaker finish is certainly unique! As far as the TV goes, size alone is a huge upgrade. This 60" versus my 46" is a nice "shock". I wouldn't necessarily say the PQ is anything better, but taking advantage of 1080p on a larger set is worth the upgrade alone. Wall treatments are not really an option right now since it's the "family room". We compromised on this house not having a room to dedicate to home theater/2-channel so in a few years when we get a larger place I will have a more dedicated space. For now, it all fits my needs.
post #226 of 230 Old 11-21-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Honestly, it was cheap and since our TV went out unexpectedly, we were not in the market for something really expensive. I tend to like plasma TV's more, however, we have a window directly behind the seating area and the reflection alone would annoy the heck out of me. The Sharp was a great price so we jumped on it. Cable HD picture quality meets my expectations (There are definitely better TV's for PQ) but Blu-ray, Apple TV 1080p streams and Netflix HD streams all look fantastic so I am pleased with the purchase.
Anyway, I plan to mount the TV this weekend and get everything finally setup.

Like you, I'm a plasma guy. Too bad about the reflective window behind your seats, and dark curtains don't appear to fit the room's decor. The Sharp has a matte finish, I take it, which surely helps.
post #227 of 230 Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Like you, I'm a plasma guy. Too bad about the reflective window behind your seats, and dark curtains don't appear to fit the room's decor. The Sharp has a matte finish, I take it, which surely helps.

So i started thinking about it and I went out and bought a 60" Samsung E550 plasma to directly compare side by side. While the Samsung plasma was a little bit better, it wasn't a big enough difference for me to justify the extreme glare. If I had a dedicated room, it would work out much better, but it just ended up making me feel better about my decision to get the Sharp. Anyway, I hope you had a great holiday weekend!
post #228 of 230 Old 11-27-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So i started thinking about it and I went out and bought a 60" Samsung E550 plasma to directly compare side by side. While the Samsung plasma was a little bit better, it wasn't a big enough difference for me to justify the extreme glare. If I had a dedicated room, it would work out much better, but it just ended up making me feel better about my decision to get the Sharp. Anyway, I hope you had a great holiday weekend!

It was quiet in that I didn't go anywhere, but it was active. I took some time to reflect, and watched a little football. Friday I ordered a new cartridge for my turntable and took the headshell in to have the store mount it. That should be ready at week's end.

In my living room I don't have other placement options for my plasma. Fortunately, reflections aren't a major nuisance in here. If I were in the market for a TV I'd probably still want a plasma, though the 60" Elite looked really good when I saw one last year (except for an issue with cyan, since solved I believe).

Matte finishes are definitely helpful at diffusing glare, though, so it might depend upon the room ultimately. In a room like yours the LCD does seem a better bet, even if the Samsung gave a better picture.
post #229 of 230 Old 12-24-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey I hope you're having a Happy Holidays and a Merry Christmas with your loved ones! Enjoy your first Christmas at the new house and crank up the system a time or two, show those gorgeous speakers some love! biggrin.gif
post #230 of 230 Old 03-16-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

How are things going, Bigred? Anything new? Not necessarily with equipment; how's the house, for example?
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page