4Likes

post #61 of 156 Old 09-09-2009, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks, folks!!@@@

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 156 Old 09-30-2009, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Steve.

I just want to tell you that everytime I attempt to read your thread, I just get dizzy reading the system line up!!!! 5 Theta Digital Monoblocks?!!!!! And that's just the start.

Not to mention your room and system being showcased in SGHT magazine, to say that I'm impressed can be considered understatement of the year.

And I definitely commend you on the construction of the room. That's just incredible. I must give your wife a hi-five/fist bump for the idea! She's a keeper!

You have a remarkable setup.

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #63 of 156 Old 09-30-2009, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Hello Steve.

I just want to tell you that everytime I attempt to read your thread, I just get dizzy reading the system line up!!!! 5 Theta Digital Monoblocks?!!!!! And that's just the start.

Not to mention your room and system being showcased in SGHT magazine, to say that I'm impressed can be considered understatement of the year.

And I definitely commend you on the construction of the room. That's just incredible. I must give your wife a hi-five/first bump for the idea! She's a keeper!

You have a remarkable setup.

Regards.

My wife had no idea how her joke to get the wires out of the basement and build a room onto our home would result in my dedicated theater room keeping me out of our main house!

Latest additions to my theater room: PS Audio PerfectWave
Transport and DAC.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
post #64 of 156 Old 11-23-2009, 04:19 AM

Steve
congrats on the theatre, looks and I am sure sounds amazing.
Putting together a HT here in Australia, and as no Aussie distributor for Aerial, it is not possible to demo prior to purchase. Looking at your system it seems like a pretty ""much cost no object"" setup and interested that you went with aerial speakers. I am looking at having a curved woven screen with LCR behind the screen. Floorstanding speakers obviously dont work, have you heard the Aerial LR 5s and if so what is your opinion on these. I will use subs for the low end, probably SW12s, but again would value your review of these.
Any info other posters can give re aerials would be much appreciated. Have heard that LR7s may be in the pipeline, any insider info appreciated,as HT note installed until second half of 2010.
post #65 of 156 Old 11-23-2009, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I also have the PS Audio top line 1M I2S (HDMI) silver cable, which replaced a DVI Gear Super High Resolution 1M cable. Got it about two weeks ago. One of these days I will AB it with the DVI Gear one. Right now I am just enjoyin' two channel in my otherwise multi-channel system!

post #66 of 156 Old 11-23-2009, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabybay View Post

Steve
congrats on the theatre, looks and I am sure sounds amazing.
Putting together a HT here in Australia, and as no Aussie distributor for Aerial, it is not possible to demo prior to purchase. Looking at your system it seems like a pretty ""much cost no object"" setup and interested that you went with aerial speakers. I am looking at having a curved woven screen with LCR behind the screen. Floorstanding speakers obviously dont work, have you heard the Aerial LR 5s and if so what is your opinion on these. I will use subs for the low end, probably SW12s, but again would value your review of these.
Any info other posters can give re aerials would be much appreciated. Have heard that LR7s may be in the pipeline, any insider info appreciated,as HT note installed until second half of 2010.

My theater is hardly "cost no object". There are a number which are a lot more expensive.

Aerials are very dynamic and musical. The LR5s are quite nice, work nicely close to walls, but of course they ain't as good as my 9s placed appropriately into the room.

I got my Aerial subs back in 2000-2001. They are nice and look nice. Though I understand that JL Audio has some really good subs you might want to consider, too.

I haven't heard anything about LR7s but I haven't talked to Michael Kelly at Aerial in awhile. And new stuff is kept close to vest so folks buy current models.

Thanks for the kudos.

post #67 of 156 Old 01-09-2010, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here at AVS Forum, I have made an "arch enemy" over the years. I think he originally was Myrtycrafts, and I kept deleting him foolish "it all sounds the same" posts when I moderated the Tweaks and the AVS Special Guests Forum here at AVS Forums back 1999 - 2003. Later he changed to BluRay 1080p, then Doug Winsor for a long time. He kept getting banned.

Lately, he is masquerading as me, "Steve Bruzonsky", at a slow traffic AV forum website:

http://www.avrev.com/forum/preamps-a...fferences.html

High end processors VS low end processors/receivers, hardware differences?
I was wondering if anyone had some objective data or even and explanation as to why a high end processor would sound better then a low end processor/receiver. I understand that subjective listening plays a role in what people prefer and that some audiophiles look at audio more as a hobby but is there a hardware reason that impacts sound quality? I am not talking about double blind tests and the side that states everything sounds the same but as of yet I have not found any objective data that would justify this night and day difference. I have searched the internet for sometime and found a profile on photobucket that has quite a selection of photo's, yes some people will know the name but it is irrelevant, I will post them below. Mods if you want to change all the IMG pictures back into a text link that is ok.

If you are going to post something along the lines of the high end having a better design or using better parts could you please post some information to clarify those statements.

Thank you.

Theta digital casablanca III

ExtremePremium.jpg
Premium-BB-1796-DAC.jpg
Premiumclose.jpg
Six-Shooter-interior.jpg
Theta-3.gif
Thetaboards.jpg
ThetaCB3.jpg
Volume-control-card.jpg

Arcam FMJ AVR600/FMJ AV888

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/w...id_off_top.jpg
arcam-avr600-internal-dsp.jpg
arcam-avr600-internal-video.jpg
arcam-avr600-modules.jpg
arcam-avr600-power-amp.jpg
arcam-avr600-powersupply.jpg

B&K reference 70

P1010021.jpg

Cary cinema 11a

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/w...inema_11-2.jpg

Classe SSP-800

SSP800-Board1.jpg
SSP800-Board2.jpg
SSP800-Board3.jpg
SSP800-Transformer.jpg

Krell evolution 707

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/w...707inside2.jpg
707inside1.jpg

Lexicon MC-12

smr_41.jpg

Mark Levinson Nº 40

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/w...udio-proce.jpg
mark-levinson-no-40-ssp-video-proce.jpg

Mcintosh MX135 MX136

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/HPIM0635.jpg
42080587rx4.jpg
HPIM0632.jpg
HPIM0633.jpg
HPIM0634.jpg
HPIM0636.jpg
HPIM0637.jpg
HPIM0640.jpg
HPIM0641.jpg
HPIM0691.jpg
HPIM0710.jpg
mcd500insidetr9.jpg
mcintosh-mda-1000-inside-chassis.jpg

post #68 of 156 Old 01-09-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello Steve.

I won't get into the specifics of why because it's too time consuming! But, if you could somehow get your hands on a low-mid priced AVR and open it up, you will literally see the difference! One thing all of the other pre pro innards embedded in your post/inquiry have in common....., an ungodly amount of transistors and a very substantial motherboard!(one in the same). That alone speaks volumes.

Also, I must add, the attention to detail is remarkable on those products!

I know I haven't answered your question to your satisfaction, but it's a start!

Regards,

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #69 of 156 Old 01-09-2010, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Hello Steve.

I won't get into the specifics of why because it's too time consuming! But, if you could somehow get your hands on a low-mid priced AVR and open it up, you will literally see the difference! One thing all of the other pre pro innards embedded in your post/inquiry have in common....., an ungodly amount of transistors and a very substantial motherboard!(one in the same). That alone speaks volumes.

Also, I must add, the attention to detail is remarkable on those products!

I know I haven't answered your question to your satisfaction, but it's a start!

Regards,

You didn't read the entire post. That foolish post is copies from a different AV forum where Doug Winsor was masquerading as me. I didn't post that there at that forum. I've had a Theta Casablanca since 1997, upgraded several times, and of course its guts are much more complex than that of a much less expensive receiver. You don't have to convince me.

I just thought it was sort of funny that Doug Winsor, banned so many times with so many different names from so many audio or home theater forums, would post in my name on another forum where I wasn't active.
I have posted at that forum today as "stevenjbruzonsky" and I have requested that they pull his membership and delete his posts. HA!

post #70 of 156 Old 01-09-2010, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Back to my theater. I just luv my most recent acquisitions, PS Audio Perfectwave Transport and DAC. Best music I've ever had in my theater. Even the new Beatles mono set sounds great! And the Neil Young remastered CD set 1964-1972 is superb!!! I am enjoying music like never before!

I am hoping to this year upgrade my Theta Casablanca 3 with Six Shooter to the upcoming HDMI 1.3 audio upgrade (and then ditch the Integra 9.8 surround preamp which I have been using for this as an interim). But Theta still doesn't have a firm date on availability or cost and some of us wonder if it will ever come to fruition.

post #71 of 156 Old 03-31-2010, 07:47 AM

I am not worthy.
post #72 of 156 Old 04-01-2010, 06:41 AM

Never believed it for a second!!
post #73 of 156 Old 04-11-2010, 07:06 AM

Thanks for sharing all these good things.
post #74 of 156 Old 05-25-2010, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

About a week ago I replaced my Oppo BDP-83 blu ray, my Integra DTC-9.8 SSP, AND my Theta Compli DVD/SACD & DVD-A MC/CD with:

A brand spankin' new Marantz UD9004 Universal player, which does what I want for my purposes as follows:

DVD 480i "source direct"

Blu Ray HD "source direct" including 1080 24p

SACD both 2 channel and MC (multi-channel)

DVD-A (MC)

CD

Has 7.1 (I use 5.1) single-ended analog outputs MC AND
balanced AES/EBU analog outputs (latter use for two channel
CD and SACD).

So I do not need my Theta Compli anymore, as I was using for SACD and DVD-A two channela and multi-channel.

I have connected the Marantz's single-ended 5.1 (I don't use the entire 7.1) analog outputs; also the Marantz' AES/EBU 2.0 channel output, to
my Theta CB3's Six Shooter.

I anticipate that my PS Audio PerfectWave Transport and DAC will still be somewhat superior on two channel CD, or the other hi rez stuff the PS Audio can play.

It takes all of two seconds for me to disconnect the two channel Marantz and connect the two channel PS Audio, or vice versa, at the Six Shooter.

I am a very very happy camper!

Initial observations are that even hardly burned in yet that the Marantz
(using analog, not HDMI) sounds as good as it gets on blu ray, and excellent on all music sources.

Now I got some components and extra cables to sell. Consolidation is nice!

More info on the Marantz UD9004 at:
http://us.marantz.com/Products/2936.asp

post #75 of 156 Old 06-08-2010, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

About a week ago I replaced my Oppo BDP-83 blu ray, my Integra DTC-9.8 SSP, AND my Theta Compli DVD/SACD & DVD-A MC/CD with:
More info on the Marantz UD9004 at:
http://us.marantz.com/Products/2936.asp

Fantastic! Steve, i would be very interested to hear how the Marantz sounds via HDMI vs the Oppo.. i'm contemplating a new bluray player that can play my dvd-a's/sacds and has excellent video playback as well.. so very interested in the options. Also if you plan to sell the Oppo, i might be interested

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

post #76 of 156 Old 06-08-2010, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman S View Post

Fantastic! Steve, i would be very interested to hear how the Marantz sounds via HDMI vs the Oppo.. i'm contemplating a new bluray player that can play my dvd-a's/sacds and has excellent video playback as well.. so very interested in the options. Also if you plan to sell the Oppo, i might be interested

I got the UD9004 because of its outstanding analog out both stereo XLR and multi-channel single-ended. I only use its HDMI for video.

I have the UD9004 connected:
1. Via HDMI for video to my Lumagen Radiance XE.
2. Via multichannel analog single-ended interconnects to my Theta Six Shooter multichannel analog preamp.
3. Via stereo AES/EBU interconnects analog to my Theta Six Shooter multichannel analog preamp.
4. Via coaxial to my Theta CB3 (but I really don't use this except to compare the UD9004 analog multi-channel out on Dolby Digital DVD to the CB3 Extreme DACs - initially its pretty much a draw on Dolby Digital but oneverything else the UD9004 is supreme. As the UD9004 burns in I anticipate even Dolby Digital will sound better with the UD9004 analog out.

If you are interested in the Oppo, which I still have, do an AVS PM to me with your email.

Also, for discussion of the UD9004 in my system and my observations:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1250271

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1130981

post #77 of 156 Old 08-20-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

I have the UD9004 connected:
1. Via HDMI for video to my Lumagen Radiance XE.

Steve,

I am in the market for a video processor. I am between a DVDO or a Lumagen... Have you compared them?

Thx!
post #78 of 156 Old 08-20-2010, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfan123 View Post

Steve,

I am in the market for a video processor. I am between a DVDO or a Lumagen... Have you compared them?

Thx!

Sorry, I haven't compared them. I have been a Lumagen fan for years and the Radiance XE is my third Lumagen video processor.

I recently replaced one of my DirecTV HD DVRs, getting a HR24. The menu, guide, etc in this new unit is fast, makes all the prior HD DVRs slow in comparison! Currently I have one HR24 and also one HR23 in my home theater room.

post #79 of 156 Old 08-21-2010, 11:20 AM

Now that's awesome. But I know mine is better because mine is the one I have and the one a use.
post #80 of 156 Old 08-21-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Good for you!

post #81 of 156 Old 12-11-2010, 11:00 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi Steve:

If you don't mind could you explain what you mean by this

"Three Aerial Acoustics SW12 powered subwoofers (400 watts each). Front left subwoofer chained to front right subwoofer, which in turn is chained to surround subwoofer.
Theta Casablanca 3 surround processor (with 2 Xtreme DAC cards with 2 Xtreme DAC cards (accommodates 8
8 Xtreme balanced channels). Only six channels connected, five main channels plus one subwoofer, as the three subwoofers are chained for front left, front right and surround subwoofers."

I don't understand fully what you mean by chaining the SW12's, I see 3 SW12's in the front of the room, yet you refer to a surround subwoofer?
post #82 of 156 Old 12-11-2010, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Woops! Someone finally noticed my gaffe! You are correct. My three subwoofers are chained, so my system is set up with one subwoofer out from the Theta Casablanca 3 and Six Shooter, and then the 1st sub is out to the 2nd sub, and the 2nd sub is out to the third sub.

You got me, Lon!

post #83 of 156 Old 12-11-2010, 01:24 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

I am glad I asked, just wondering why you didn't configure tour extreme Dac for 5.3 since you have 2 channels open?

Was this done with music in mind vs movies.

The reason I am asking is because I am adding a second sub and trying to figure out the best configuration. I probably won't have a channel open on my extreme card for the second sub anyway
post #84 of 156 Old 12-11-2010, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

I am glad I asked, just wondering why you didn't configure tour extreme Dac for 5.3 since you have 2 channels open?

Was this done with music in mind vs movies.

The reason I am asking is because I am adding a second sub and trying to figure out the best configuration. I probably won't have a channel open on my extreme card for the second sub anyway

I originally used my CB2 with 2 Extreme DAC cards (8 channels) with thee sub outputs from the CB2. Then in 2005 I upgraded to CB3 with Six Shooter. I found that the speaker levels didn't work properly having one sub coming from the Six Shooter and the other two subs coming from the CB3 main outputs. And I started doing multi-channel SACD and DVD-A
which only had one sub channel. Then came HD DVD with only one sub channel. So I decided to only use one sub channel, and chain the three Aerial subs. Plus using a Velodyne SMS-1 I determined best placement for the three subs, given my room and AV gear, furniture and racks in room, was towards the front screen wall center, where the subs measure nicely towards flat!

post #85 of 156 Old 12-11-2010, 01:45 PM

WOW! That is amazing. Congratulations on such a nice play area
post #86 of 156 Old 12-11-2010, 01:52 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Great, Thanks Steve
post #87 of 156 Old 03-07-2011, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

While my Theta CB3 is in the "shop" for the CB3 HD (HDMI 1.4) upgrade
(since the 2nd week of January), I picked up (some great prices for used)
a Theta Generation VIII Series 2 DAC, and just got few days ago a pair of Theta Citadel 1.5 monoblock amplifiers. SWEET!

post #88 of 156 Old 03-08-2011, 06:02 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky
While my Theta CB3 is in the "shop" for the CB3 HD (HDMI 1.4) upgrade
(since the 2nd week of January), I picked up (some great prices for used)
a Theta Generation VIII Series 2 DAC, and just got few days ago a pair of Theta Citadel 1.5 monoblock amplifiers. SWEET!
Very nice.

Frank
post #89 of 156 Old 04-09-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My upgraded Theta CB3 HD arrives Monday (two days from today), and my PS Audio Perfect Wave P5 Power Plant arrives Tuesday!

post #90 of 156 Old 04-23-2011, 04:38 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Happy Easter Steve!!

Frank
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version