Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #121 of 155 Old 11-26-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just added the SOtM mBPS-d2s Intelligent Battery Power Supply to power the SOtM tX-USBexp card of my custom Media Server.

I know that some will say this is redundant, that I don't need the SOtM tX-USBexp or the SOtM mBPS-d2s Intelligent Battery Power Supply because I am using the Berkeley Audio Alpha USB converter.

The Berkeley has its own independent power supply for its reclocking and depends on the incoming USB cable for its power, from the USB card of the Media Server.

The SOtM USBexp card in the Media Server is powered by the same power that goes into the Media Server, except if you connect the SOtM battery power supply,
then the SOtM USBexp card automatically switches to the battery power.

Over at the Computer Audiophile forum, some audiophiles have "observed" better sonics using the Red Wine battery power supply, and the SOtM battery power supply at only $420 is about 1/3 the cost of the Red Wine so I figured, heck, why not?

The SOtM battery power supply has a front switch to turn it on and off - must be in on position for it work. If its in off position, then the USBexp card works off the same power that
goes into the Media Server.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 155 Old 01-26-2014, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

By next weekend, my five new Aerial Acoustics 7t speakers, and two new JL Audio Fantom f212-gloss subwoofers should arrive!
(I am selling my four Aerial Acoustixs 9 speakers, one Aerial Acoustics CC5 center speaker, and three Aerial Acoustics SW12 subwoofers.

Speakers are in nero black metallic like Ferrari cars!!@@

Exciting!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #123 of 155 Old 01-26-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Those 7t's are pretty damn special. I can't wipe the smile off my face since I installed mine. Please pm me if you plan on selling the Aerial subs.

post #124 of 155 Old 02-15-2014, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Now that my five Aerial Acoustics 7ts and two JL Audio Fathom f212-GLOSSY subwoofers are burnt in - I just added three of the brand new that just started shipping Theta Prometheus monoblocks, with a pair of Cardas Clear Light speaker cable for each monoblock-7t pair. The monoblocks and cables are still burnin' in - but they sound so good already I just ordered two more. So my system is now
five Theta Prometheus monoblocks, five Aerial Acoustics 7t speakers with five pairs Cardas Clear Light speaker cable. And Craig Shumer/VGI indicates that my CB3 HD SSP upgrade to CB4 hopefully is just around the corner.

Theta Digital just started shipping the Prometheus this week. Some are on way to Europe. I am first customer to have them! they are remarkable sounding. Transparent, fast, micro and macrodynamic. The easily beat the three Theta Digital Enterprises I had used for center and surrounds. And they are every bit as good as the Theta Digital Citadel 1.5s I've been using for front left and right, and the new monoblocks are still burning in! Compared to the Citadels, you can hear the even better dynamics of the Prometheus, which has a sound noise ratio of 124 dB (Citadel sound noise ratio of 103 dB).
The Citadels are somewhat more airy sounding with more "space" between instruments, whereas the Prometheus is I think more like a real acoustic venue where instead of as much separation (as with the Citadels) you get more focus and clarity and dynamics. Both are great amps and I luv both. But my system for surround sound, music, movies, tv now will be fully "balanced" with the same monoblock at each vector. My favorite demo/test disk is Telarc-Heads Up "Jazzin' Surround" SACD Sampler, which I have on my Media Server hard drive as a ripped SACD ISO file. WOW, it has never ever sounded this good!

post #125 of 155 Old 02-15-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Sounds awesome Steve. I have always had a "thang" for Theta products but just aren't in the cards for me at this point. Sure you are loving all the new upgrades.

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

post #126 of 155 Old 02-17-2014, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Photos of my new theater "front end", Aerial Acoustics 7ts, JL Audio Fathom f212-GLOSSY subwoofers, Theta Digital Prometheus monoblocks (first ones outside ATI-Theta in the entire world), Cardas Clear Light speaker cabling:

I luv the Prometheus so much that I have ordered two more so all five main channels are Prometheus!!!@@@

post #127 of 155 Old 02-17-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Replaced the Citadels? So the Prometheus amps are THAT good?

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #128 of 155 Old 02-17-2014, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Even not being fully broken in yet my impression is that the Prometheus is overall the equal and possibly better to the Citadel 1.5. though this may vary based on personal preference and system and room. Also, it gets hot here in Az - Citadel 1.5 runs at Class A all the way - whereas Prometheus Class D doesn't even get a warm tinkle! Hey, I luv the Citadel 1.5s and I equally luv the Prometheus from a performance standpoint. The Prometheus has practical advantage, size, weight, lack of warmth in temperature, which appeal to me in addition to its outstanding sonics!

post #129 of 155 Old 02-17-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruzonsky View Post

Even not being fully broken in yet my impression is that the Prometheus is overall the equal and possibly better to the Citadel 1.5. though this may vary based on personal preference and system and room. Also, it gets hot here in Az - Citadel 1.5 runs at Class A all the way - whereas Prometheus Class D doesn't even get a warm tinkle! Hey, I luv the Citadel 1.5s and I equally luv the Prometheus from a performance standpoint. The Prometheus has practical advantage, size, weight, lack of warmth in temperature, which appeal to me in addition to its outstanding sonics!

***fighting the urge to call VGI and order***

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #130 of 155 Old 02-18-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 59
How are you liking the 7t's so far?

post #131 of 155 Old 02-18-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

How are you liking the 7t's so far?

I luv the 7ts.

I had the Aerial 10Ts 1997 - 2008.

Then Aerial 9s 2008 - 2014.

Now, Feb 2014, the Aerial 7ts.

The 10Ts were Stereophile speaker of the year 1996!

The 9s were even better than the 10Ts, better bass and midrange primarily.

But the 7ts have a new tweeter that is clearly better than the 9s, better midrange than the 9s,

and much better bass in that you can now feel the bass and hear the bass vibrations without using a subwoofer!

Even though the 7t is rated only 2 Hz lower than the 9 for bass at -2dB, you can hear and feel the bass so much better than

with the 9. The 7t images better than the 9, too. For example, I have two rows of leather recliners in my theater, 3 in front and 2 in back, with one of the recliners in back directly in back of the front center recliner. For some time I have preferred the front row center for tv and movies (being in the "sweet spot" of all my full range speakers, but the back row center for music (being not as near field to the front left and right speakers). But the 7ts image so well that now the front center is equally as pleasing - Dave/Thezak last Friday said that the front center was so good that he actually preferred it to the second row center for music.  Now part of that is thanks to the 7ts, and part of that is thanks to the new Prometheus monoblocks (which have a soundstage not as airy with instruments not as separated as the Citadel 1.5s).

Don't get me wrong. The 9 is a great speaker. Especially at used prices and for those who can't afford 7ts. But the 7ts wonderful!

In particular as I am now using a 7t for the front center speaker as well!

post #132 of 155 Old 02-18-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

***fighting the urge to call VGI and order***

Looks like you are fighting the urge to order several JL Audio f212 subwoofers AND Prometheus monoblocks!!@@@@@@

Mebbe you should block yourself on AVS from reading my posts?

What speakers do you have for front left and right, center, and surround?

Keep in mind that amplifiers can be funny in that good amps may sound not so good with certain speakers and fantastic with certain speakers. Seems that Theta amplfiers have always sounded great with Aerial speakers, and the Theta Digital Prometheus with Aerial 7s certainly sound great together!

post #133 of 155 Old 02-18-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks like you are fighting the urge to order several JL Audio f212 subwoofers AND Prometheus monoblocks!!@@@@@@

Mebbe you should block yourself on AVS from reading my posts?

What speakers do you have for front left and right, center, and surround?

Keep in mind that amplifiers can be funny in that good amps may sound not so good with certain speakers and fantastic with certain speakers. Seems that Theta amplfiers have always sounded great with Aerial speakers, and the Theta Digital Prometheus with Aerial 7s certainly sound great together!

Oh nah, just the Prometheus amps man.  I've heard the F212's and prefer my current Seaton Submersive HP+ subwoofers, but those amps of your our outstanding.  My speakers are Triad Platinum LCR's for the front soundstage and Triad Gold LCR's for surround and rear channels.  I'm building a music room where I will be (likely) reinserting Legacy Audio Focus SE's and I'm thinking of using the Prometheus Amps for that room. 

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #134 of 155 Old 03-29-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hello, Mr. Steve. It has been a long time, brother. Any new upgrades? 4K PJ? Miss you man. Oh, BTW, I have been in Steve home theater several times. A job well done for the best theater I have been in and listened to. "Two thumbs up".smile.gif

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
post #135 of 155 Old 03-29-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterguy View Post

Hello, Mr. Steve. It has been a long time, brother. Any new upgrades? 4K PJ? Miss you man. Oh, BTW, I have been in Steve home theater several times. A job well done for the best theater I have been in and listened to. "Two thumbs up".smile.gif

Give me a call or AVS PM and come back over, Read above - all new speakers and monoblocks. The sound - today listened to two channel only and - its amazing how much my new setup sonically is better even though the "old" one sounded so darn good at the time. See my thread at the $20k forum on upgrades.

hometheaterguy likes this.
post #136 of 155 Old 03-29-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Give me a call or AVS PM and come back over, Read above - all new speakers and monoblocks. The sound - today listened to two channel only and - its amazing how much my new setup sonically is better even though the "old" one sounded so darn good at the time. See my thread at the $20k forum on upgrades.

Thanks, brother, I will. One thing I remember was when you turned your three Aerial Acoustics subs OFF, but the theater still had kick ass, in your chest pounding bass. Then, you fire up the three subs and it was even more righteous. Good seeing you again, brother.

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
post #137 of 155 Old 03-29-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

DXD-12012_QUATTRO_QUATTRO_600.jpg 167k .jpg file Very nice, you are using JL subs now. I was wondering what you thought about JL and if you would go with them sometime. Have you seen Ken Kreisels new generation of subs? http://www.kreiselsound.com/

Aspirin not included. DXD-12012 QUATTRO-QUATTRO $47995

32, twelve inch drivers.
12000+ Continuous RMS watts
True Peak Power** 24,000-35,200 watts
QUATTRO Four stacks of the
QUATTRO
WEIGHT 1289.6 lbs/585 kg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DXD-12012_QUATTRO_QUATTRO_600.jpg (166.7 KB, 9 views)

post #138 of 155 Old 04-24-2014, 10:25 AM

My Theta Casablanca III HD SSP shipped off to Theta Digital for the Casablanca IV upgrade yesterday!!!!

I'll have you over once I get it back and get the CBIV all set up and burned in, with DIRAC LIVE!!@@

post #139 of 155 Old 04-24-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

I thought I was perfectly happy with my Aerial 10Ts circa 1997 (Aerial CC5 circa 2000) and Bryston 7B monoblocks circa 1997.

Both had Bybee mods which at the time improved the sonics. But I got a really good deal when I bought that stuff, and good sales price when I sold that stuff, and great price on buying the new Aerial 9 and Enterprise monoblocks. I anticipated at least a bit of sonic improvement - but the significant additional transparency all around was frankly unexpected and wonderful.

Here's some front views of Aerial 9 and Theta Enterprise monoblock. Each Enterprise is on top of a set of three Symposium Rollerblock 2s.

LL

LL

LL

I really can't take those Theta amps seriously. They look like PC's
post #140 of 155 Old 04-24-2014, 01:58 PM

You can "take seriously" and enjoy whatever amps you want. Your prerogative. I could care less what your opinion is just like you could care less my opinion!

Those amps are old news and gone now anyway. As are a pair of Theta Citadel 1.5 monoblocks that I was using at front left and right since 2011. Now I have the theta Prometheus monoblocks - Class D and I luv 'em.

post #141 of 155 Old 04-24-2014, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

You can "take seriously" and enjoy whatever amps you want. Your prerogative. I could care less what your opinion is just like you could care less my opinion!
Take it easy partner.. It was a joke.. You are way to sensitive..
post #142 of 155 Old 04-24-2014, 02:00 PM

My five new Theta Prometheus monoblocks, reprinted from above:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Photos of my new theater "front end", Aerial Acoustics 7ts, JL Audio Fathom f212-GLOSSY subwoofers, Theta Digital Prometheus monoblocks (first ones outside ATI-Theta in the entire world), Cardas Clear Light speaker cabling:

I luv the Prometheus so much that I have ordered two more so all five main channels are Prometheus!!!@@@
post #143 of 155 Old 04-24-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post

Take it easy partner.. It was a joke.. You are way to sensitive..

Take it easy partner, I was joking you back!!!@@@@@@ Except the Prometheus monoblocks are real!!@@@

post #144 of 155 Old 05-12-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:

My Theta Casablanca III HD SSP shipped off to Theta Digital for the Casablanca IV upgrade yesterday!!!!

I'll have you over once I get it back and get the CBIV all set up and burned in, with DIRAC LIVE!!@@

Hopefully I'll have my upgraded Casablanca IV SSP back soon.

Meanwhile, for the past several weeks I've been setting up, and in the past week using, a Western Digital 16TB WDMyCloudEX4 network server.Big 5800 sq foot house. Wireless N Apple Airport Express base station upstairs in home office, whereI have the network server. Monster Cable Powerline extenders all the way at east main floor at my dedicated home theater room, and also powerline extender to basement at other side of home. To my surprise, wirless for my custom media server is working absolutely fine, no hiccups at all, on all the stereo stuff I'm playing all the way up to SACD ISO files. When I get my Casablanca IV and use multi-channel over HDMI to the CBIV, hopefully I'll find it works fine.

post #145 of 155 Old 05-25-2014, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I just finalized my JL Audio subwoofer setup. Here's photos:

hometheaterguy likes this.

post #146 of 155 Old 05-25-2014, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

For a complete discussion of my subwoofer setup, see:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1533189/optimizing-subwoofer-setup-for-audiophile-music-home-theater

post #147 of 155 Old 05-25-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

For a complete discussion of my Theta CB4 and observations, see:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1533199/my-new-theta-casablanca-4-a-high-end-audiophile-digital-preamp-as-well/0_10

post #148 of 155 Old 06-15-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Wow, bro, and to think you old setup was IMAX intimidating! So, you keep the Thetas and Aerials? Are you still using the Stewart VISIONARY ELECTRISCREEN and DWiN2? We may be in Phoenix this Summer, can you send us "tickets" to your new theater?

post #149 of 155 Old 06-15-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterguy View Post
Quote:

Wow, bro, and to think you old setup was IMAX intimidating! So, you keep the Thetas and Aerials? Are you still using the Stewart VISIONARY ELECTRISCREEN and DWiN2? We may be in Phoenix this Summer, can you send us "tickets" to your new theater?
Go back to the first post in this thread, which is updated for all my current home theater stuff.

You are WAY YEARS behind in my setup and system changes! Pretty much totally revamped my stuff in 2007-2008 and again during Feb - May this year!

post #150 of 155 Old 06-18-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Go back to the first post in this thread, which is updated for all my current home theater stuff.

You are WAY YEARS behind in my setup and system changes! Pretty much totally revamped my stuff in 2007-2008 and again during Feb - May this year!
Steve, you suck! , JK, you are my hero, brother! We have got to get in your room, for a new demo!

Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page