My Dedicated Audiophile Home Theater - Steve Bruzonsky - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #151 of 176 Old 06-30-2014, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Just added the two Acoustic Sciences Corporation 22" X 22" X 15" high custom SubTraps, placed under each JL Audio f212 subwoofer.

Just changed out my wireless networking to three Linksys WRT1900AC routers, using two programmed as access points.
darthray likes this.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 176 Old 07-05-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
He who dies with the "best" home theater hardware...wins, lol!
darthray likes this.

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
post #153 of 176 Old 07-15-2014, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I can't wrap my head around a $14,000 amp lol, I need to hear what they do in person and see if the price can be justified, badass set up though.
post #154 of 176 Old 07-25-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Just added the two Acoustic Sciences Corporation 22" X 22" X 15" high custom SubTraps, placed under each JL Audio f212 subwoofer.

Just changed out my wireless networking to three Linksys WRT1900AC routers, using two programmed as access points.
I just skim through this tread and you Sir, have an amazing set-up

I am surprise that you did not receive more Thumb-up or like than what you got!!!
I gave you one at the end, but they were so many post that deserved-it, it would have look as I was trigger happy.

Beautifull room and lots of thought about all big and small details.

Ray
post #155 of 176 Old 09-04-2014, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
looks awesome

Vizio m801d
Oppo 103d
Paradigm studio 20's, cc 490, atom monitors, PSA XV15se
post #156 of 176 Old 09-18-2014, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Velodyne sms 1

Are you still using your Velodyne SMS 1? If so, how meny ms have you aded fore the SMS 1? Have the Gotham myself, but i dont knov how much delay i can add vith the Gotham & Velodyne SMS in a chain.
post #157 of 176 Old 01-31-2015, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OKAY I have to ask,,,,,,,,,,How much have you spent on all of this ......The original add-on to your home, guessing around 10K back in 1997? and after that???? Thanks John
post #158 of 176 Old 02-01-2015, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatuppa View Post
OKAY I have to ask,,,,,,,,,,How much have you spent on all of this ......The original add-on to your home, guessing around 10K back in 1997? and after that???? Thanks John
Seriously? You think building an additional wing with a home theater room, hallway and bathroom onto an existing home costs pocket change of 10K?
Or did you mean 100k and the 10k is a typo?

Regardless - I never discuss what I pay for stuff, too much of a "gentleman" for that. HA!

I will say I got a real good deal when I built my home theater addition. My office neighbor was then a contractor, they had a slow time, so they built it for me, with a lot of my own input, at a reasonable percent above their cost, and they did a fantastic job!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
post #159 of 176 Old 02-01-2015, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
I can't wrap my head around a $14,000 amp lol, I need to hear what they do in person and see if the price can be justified, badass set up though.
The Prometheus monoblocks retail MSRP is 12 grand per pair. I had the very first of these, in the whole wide world, outside of Theta Digital itself, back in Jan 2014!!! These monoblocks are one of twelve CEPro products of the year for 2014!!!

My home theater at:
post #160 of 176 Old 02-01-2015, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannachin View Post
Are you still using your Velodyne SMS 1? If so, how meny ms have you aded fore the SMS 1? Have the Gotham myself, but i dont knov how much delay i can add vith the Gotham & Velodyne SMS in a chain.
I was using two Velodyne SMS-1s with three Aerial SW-12 subwoofers. When I revamped by speakers and subwoofers January 2014 I sold the Aerial subs and quit using the SMS-1s as no longer need them based on (1) placement of the subs on ACS subwoofer stands just to the inside of the Prometheus monoblock amplifiers, such that placement is only 6" shy heightwise of the perfect placement per Art Noxon of ASC's calculations for where to place subwoofers in a rectangular room; (2) as sub placement is perfect width and length of roomsie per Art Noxon of ASC; and (3) my Theta Casablanca IV SSP has Dirac as well.

http://www.tubetrap.com/bass_traps_a...-theater-3.htm Art Noxon's article on subwoofer placement!

My home theater at:

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 02-01-2015 at 09:38 AM.
post #161 of 176 Old 02-01-2015, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
I just skim through this tread and you Sir, have an amazing set-up

I am surprise that you did not receive more Thumb-up or like than what you got!!!
I gave you one at the end, but they were so many post that deserved-it, it would have look as I was trigger happy.

Beautifull room and lots of thought about all big and small details.

Ray
Thanks. Can't say I care about how many "thumbs up" I get. But thanks for yours. I will say that with "trigger happy" movies you can hear and feel the gunshots much better than the very best commercial movie theaters. HA!
markrubin and darthray like this.

My home theater at:
post #162 of 176 Old 02-01-2015, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

In recent months, my component changes are as follows:

Added a LG 55UB8500 55 inch 4k Ultra HDTV (under projection screen)

Changed from DireCTV HR24 HD DVR to DirecTV HR44 Genie with C41 Genie Client (the Genie shows a clearly better and more uniform brighter picture than the prior HR24).

Changed iPad from iPad3 to iPad Air 2

Changed HDMI Cabling from thick Blue Jeans BJC Series-1 HDMI cabling
(which even in short 6' runs I found had a bit better picture quality than their lower guage thinner HDMI cabling) to Monoprice 18Gbps Ultra Slim High Performance HDMI Cable w/ Redmere Technology (Except Blue Jeans BJC Series-1 HDMI cabling in wall to projector because its too much work to replace it if I don't need to). This Redmere technology is a small computer chip at each end of the cabling. I use only 6' HDMI cables because I have been advised by Lumagen and other experts that shorter HDMI cables can have reflections which lower the signal quality). These Monoprice cables are cheap and work as good or better than the much thicker cabling I was using previously. Not only does the Redmere technology ensure the signal coming in and the signal coming out are the same, but as the HDMI connectors and cables are lightweight, they connect perfectly and do not strain the HDMI connectors on the components.

My home theater at:
post #163 of 176 Old 02-01-2015, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here's whats really scary!

Last year, after I changed to the two JL Audio F212 subwoofers, I also placed them on two custom ASC
(Acoustic Sciences Corporation) sub stands! We then placed the screen a foot higher on the front wall - we determined this was the highest we should go to maintain best video quality.

So my front three Aerial 7t speakers and two JL Audio F212 subwoofers now are all under the line of sight to the front screen! My prior speakers, Aerial 9s, were taller.

A few months ago, a brainstorm came to me. No longer am I limited with the width of my screen no wider than the present 10.5 feet (128.5 inches) (2.35 screen) - I can now go 14 - 15 feet wide! I am waiting for
4k technology to mature some, and likely in the next 1-3 years I may change to a new projector and screen at least 14' wide.

My home theater at:
post #164 of 176 Old 02-01-2015, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Thanks. Can't say I care about how many "thumbs up" I get. But thanks for yours. I will say that with "trigger happy" movies you can hear and feel the gunshots much better than the very best commercial movie theaters. HA!

+1
Anyone with dedicated room with proper equipment, room acoustic treatments and calibrated properly.
Can enjoy a movie with better results than any commercial movie theater.

Ray
post #165 of 176 Old 04-29-2015, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I am having not a mid-life crisis, but a 60ish life crisis. How am I dealing with this?

Over a year ago, got rid of lotsa "old" stuff, and brought in "new" stuff - five Aerial 7t speakers, five Theta Digital Prometheus monoblocks, two JL Audio f212 subwoofers,
with Cardas Clear Light speaker cable.

Now, I have added two more Theta Digital Generation VIII Series III DACs (now have three total), for front left and right (been using a Gen VIII for this since early 2011), and now another DAC for center and subwoofer, and a 3rd DAC for surround left and right!

I have coming some Cardas Clear 1.5M AES/EBU digital cables, for the three Gen VIIIs,

I split the signal coming out of one Gen VIII subwoofer channel into two subwoofer channels, because bass out of the Gen VIII does sound a bit better and more cohesive than using the Extreme DACs in my Casablanca IV SSP.

I will be using my two year old Media Server with HDMI only for multi-channel, as I have a new CAPS4.0 Pipeline Media Server arriving any day now for 2 channel.

My home theater at:
post #166 of 176 Old 04-30-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 79
So now that you've had siginificant time with the 7T's, what do you think of them?

post #167 of 176 Old 04-30-2015, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post
So now that you've had siginificant time with the 7T's, what do you think of them?
I've had the five 7ts for 14 months now and they are outstanding speakers, just luv 'em!!@@@

My home theater at:
post #168 of 176 Old 05-27-2015, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Over a month ago picked up two used Theta Gen VIII Series 3 DACs, so now have three of them for 5.1 channels, and use a DH Labs Silver Sonic analog balanced splitter from the Theta CB4 SSP to my two JL Audio f212 subwoofers.

Less than two weeks my new Media Server arrived, a CAPSv4 Pipeline as sold by Small Green Computer with an outboard HDPlex linear power supply. Now I use my prior
CAPS3 Zuma (modded with larger case and an added Sapphire/ATI video card for multi-channel audio) only for multi-channel.

On two channel, the CAPSv4 Pipeline is even much better than what I had luved with my CAPS3! Appreciably quieter, one can turn up the volume on the CB4 "higher and higher". Drums, bass, everything simply clearly sounds better. Bottom line is the CAPSv4 has appreciably less power consumption and EMI/noise thus that cleaner background and greater dynamics. I played several recent jazz recordings all in hi rez - "Jazz Funk Soul"; "Hacienda" by Jeff Lorber Fusion; and two albums by David Chesky and the New Harmonic Jazz. Oh - also an old but goodie Billy Cobham album and the improvement in dynamics is beyond what I could have expected. Don't get me wrong - the CAPSv3 has been terrific for stereo - but once one hears the CAPS4 Pipeline, one cannot go backwards!

For two channel now I almost always listen with the CB4 in multi-channel DTS Neo6! I have matching top dog speakers (Aerial 7t), monoblock amps (Theta Prometheus),
and DACs (Theta Gen VIII Series 3) at each channel including subwoofer, and I am finding that the "extra" extrapolated speakers only enhance the otherwise two channel presentation without taking away!!@@@

My home theater at:
post #169 of 176 Old 05-30-2015, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky
Over a month ago picked up two used Theta Gen VIII Series 3 DACs, so now have three of them for 5.1 channels, and use a DH Labs Silver Sonic analog balanced splitter from the Theta CB4 SSP to my two JL Audio f212 subwoofers. Less than two weeks my new Media Server arrived, a CAPSv4 Pipeline as sold by Small Green Computer with an outboard HDPlex linear power supply. Now I use my prior CAPS3 Zuma (modded with larger case and an added Sapphire/ATI video card for multi-channel audio) only for multi-channel. On two channel, the CAPSv4 Pipeline is even much better than what I had luved with my CAPS3! Appreciably quieter, one can turn up the volume on the CB4 "higher and higher". Drums, bass, everything simply clearly sounds better. Bottom line is the CAPSv4 has appreciably less power consumption and EMI/noise thus that cleaner background and greater dynamics. I played several recent jazz recordings all in hi rez - "Jazz Funk Soul"; "Hacienda" by Jeff Lorber Fusion; and two albums by David Chesky and the New Harmonic Jazz. Oh - also an old but goodie Billy Cobham album and the improvement in dynamics is beyond what I could have expected. Don't get me wrong - the CAPSv3 has been terrific for stereo - but once one hears the CAPS4 Pipeline, one cannot go backwards!
For two channel now I almost always listen with the CB4 in multi-channel DTS Neo6! I have matching top dog speakers (Aerial 7t), monoblock amps (Theta Prometheus),
and DACs (Theta Gen VIII Series 3) at each channel including subwoofer, and I am finding that the "extra" extrapolated speakers only enhance the otherwise two channel presentation without taking away!!@@@
Yesterday and this AM finished recalibrating audio/speaker levels in my sytem. This is pre-Dirac. Will recalibrate with Dirac in near future.

In the past, I had calculated delays for all of my CBIV audio modes based on speaker & subwoofer distance from the front center row (two rows, front row three leather recliners, back row two leather recliners, with the front center recliner and the back left recliner having “me” or whoever is sitting there right in front of the front center Aerial 7t or right in the center of the front & surround left and right Aerial 7ts). But I have found that I like watching DirecTV at center front, but I like listening to music at the back left. And sometimes I like watching blu ray movies from the back left, too. So I thought – why not setup CBIV modes with calibrating “delay” and “level” for the speakers for both the front center and back left (again, only two recliners in back row, and the left is actually in the center of speakers from left to right)? So I did.

In the past, I have preferred using DTS Neo 6 for converting my media server USB 2 channel music (which I have set at 80 Hz 24 dB crossover and I always use my subs for 2 channel and every other music, movie and tv source in my system) into multi-channel. But now, after the above recalibrations, and with my new CAPSv4 Pipeline 2Ch music server being clearly more dynamic than my CAPSv3 modded Zuma music server, I find that there is a loss of dynamics using those modes. But I find that “Special Matrix” is simply wonderful to derive multi-channel from 2 channel music! No loss of dynamics at all. In order to always be able to on the fly compare 2 channel USB vs derived multi-channel using “Special Matrix”, using my Radio Shack analog sound level meter, I listened and raised the 2 channel (plus subwoofer) CBIV source up by 5 dB for each speaker & subwoofer level. Its obvious that I have noticed the loss of dynamics using the Dolby and DTS modes due to (1) now having three Gen VIII DACs for all channels, not just front left and right; (2) new CAPSV4Pipeline music server simply more dynamic than the CAPSv3 modded Zuma music server for stereo; and (3) my setting speaker distance and levels for the left back row (actually center as noted above).

I like to use the start of the blu ray movie “Prometheus” to hear and evaluate bass on my system for movies! WOW! Interesting I found the bass overall not as loud as before. But the bass is deeper, more musical, and so much more REAL! When the spaceship is hovering over the waterfall, I now hear the waterfall like when I visited Niagara Falls some years ago! I’ve always liked the back row for movies, liking the bass I would feel and hear – bass is great in the front row, but even better in the back row. Now that I have made a source setting for the CBIV based on my position at left back row (actually center as discussed above), with the proper speaker delays for that position, I found that the subwoofer speaker level for the back is quite a bit higher than the front, so I lowered the back subwoofer level to about equal the other speakers. And the result in doing this that I can really hear my system in all its glory!

My home theater at:
post #170 of 176 Old 06-11-2015, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Do you have an updated view of the Home Theatre. Impressive setup .
post #171 of 176 Old 06-11-2015, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

In the near future I'll take some photos and post them here. Thanks.

My home theater at:
post #172 of 176 Old 07-16-2015, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Great story on the evolution of your room and system. Thanks for the conversation and help regarding Theta equipment the other day Steve. Burning in the new amps now!
post #173 of 176 Old 07-16-2015, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
Great story on the evolution of your room and system. Thanks for the conversation and help regarding Theta equipment the other day Steve. Burning in the new amps now!
Glad to help. One of these days it will be nice to meet each other!

My home theater at:
post #174 of 176 Old 07-31-2015, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My current home theater pix!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	861570   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	861578   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	861586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	861594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	861602  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	861610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	861618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	861626  

My home theater at:
post #175 of 176 Old 07-31-2015, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Wow Steve that is beautiful.
post #176 of 176 Old Today, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I've recently added an Uptone Audio USB Regen (Amber) for my two channel USB media server - CAPSv4 Pipeline.

My home theater at:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page