My Dedicated Audiophile Home Theater - Steve Bruzonsky - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #181 of 186 Old 03-19-2016, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Over the past few months I've made a few changes:

1. Now using ROON software for 2 channel music instead of JRiverMC 21, the latter which I still use for multi-channel music.

2. Now using a Curious Cable .8M USB cable (for CAPSv4 Pipeline 2 channel music server)

3. Now using Lumagen 2143 for video scaling/processing (got a great price on one used), replacing my Lumagen Radiance XE. I did this only because the 2143 has built-in Darbee processing which I use.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 186 Old 04-14-2016, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

EGADS! ROON has just got WAY better in my audio/home theater system!!!@@@

My ROON setup, until tonight, was as follows:

CAPSv4 (Computer Audiophile forum server, version 4), USB out. With Roonserver loaded, designated as my primary music computer for ROON, because ROON would only use the USB out from the primary music server.

iPad Pro with the iPad Pro app for ROON, used as a controller only.

Also a Toshiba laptop, with the full RoonInstaller loaded, but used only as a controller as well.

Tonight, as I started listening to music with ROON, an auto ROON software install came up and loaded. I checked and found out the ROON version is now 1.2. And version 1.2 also has RoonBridge software, which now allows the full RoonInstaller to be installed on a computer remote, that is, from the media server that is outputting the USB music!

Now my ROON setup, as of late last night (Tuesday night) (EXCITING!) is:

CAPSv4 (Computer Audiophile forum server, version 4), USB out. With Roonserver and RoonBridge loaded, designated as a remote computer for ROON.

CAPSv3 Zuma (Computer Audiophile forum server, version 3) (modded a bit). I use this media server only for multi-channel out via HDMI using JRiver Media Center software (as ROON does not at this time do multi-channel audio). But NOW I have loaded the main RoonInstaller, the full ROON program, and I have this computer designated as primary for ROON. ROON’s database is now on this computer. This computer does all the filing, searching, internet connections, audio processing, etc now for ROON and my 2 channel audio – then the audio file goes through my wi-fi network to the CAPSv4 and out its USB. HA!

iPad Pro with the iPad Pro app for ROON, used as a controller only.

Also a Toshiba laptop, with the full RoonInstaller loaded, but used only as a controller as well.

ROON as configured prior to tonight, in my system, sounded better than JRiver Media Center 21, for stereo!

By moving all the PC “work” and “processing” over to the CAPSv3, the sonic improvement is astounding and amazing!!@@@

ROON is a terrific audio playing program for audiophiles and music luvers! Its metadata capabilities alone are reason to use ROON. But its audio quality particularly when you use a separate computer for the ROON processing, etc (as I use the CAPSv3), and use a media server pretty much only to pass on the audio signal (as I use the CAPSv4), is second to none! I am blown away! I wonder how long I will stay up listening to music tonite? Its already 2 AM!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 04-14-2016 at 02:09 AM.
post #183 of 186 Old 05-02-2016, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sonore and also Small Green Computer just started sales of their revolutionary new product, the Sonore MicroRendu - A Revolution in Music Server Price & Quality!

Read the review at:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...part-1/Product for sale at Sonore’s website, also at Small Green Computer for a “whole” $640! http://microjukebox.com/products/mic...nt=18223114884

MICRORENDU

• $ 64000

Connect your USB DAC to your network.
The microRendu allows you to play music from many different network music sources on your USB attached DAC.
POWER SUPPLY OPTIONS
iFi iPower Supply - 100-240VAC, 50/60Hz, ~1uV average audio band noise floor, for USA/UK/EU/AUS electrical outlets, with Active Noise Cancellation+

SPECIFICATIONS:
AUDIO
• Supported File Formats: FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, MP3, AAC, OGG, WMA, WMA-L, DSF, DFF
• Native Sampling Rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 352.8kHz and 384kHz
• DSD formats: DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256
• Bit Depths: 16, 24
• SPDIF output supports: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, and 192kHz both in 16 bit and 24 bit
CONNECTIVITY
• Network: Gigabit Ethernet RJ45
• USB: 2 USB ports
• SPDIF: 1 optical SPDIF digital output
• Power: 5VDC input
• Network Protocols: DLNA, , Squeezebox®, Roon RAAT
USER INTERFACE
• Android: App Available Online at Google Play Store - OrangeSqueeze
• iOS: App Available Online at Apple App Store - iPeng
• Roon iOS or Android App
DIMENSIONS:
• 3.5"x2.2"x.7"
• 1 lbs
POWER CONSUMPTION:
• 8 Watts
OPERATING ENVIRONMENT:
• 0° C to 40° C

I just ordered one! For now they are sold out.

I will be using it in my system in place of my CAPSv4 Pipeline, which I will sell. This component will be my RoonBridge, in lieu of the CAPSv4 Pipeline I am using right now for this purpose.My CAPSv3 Zuma will continue to be used for multi-channel audio over HDMI with JRiver Media Center; and also my CAPSv3 Zuma will continue to run the main RoonServer program to interface with internet music info and data and to do the processing/conversion of audio files and then send them via Ethernet to the MicroRendu which will output clean and isolated audio over USB to the rest of my system! I was hopin’ this would come about. Never expected so quick. For now, I will be using the MicroRendu with the external LPS power supply that came with my CAPSv4. Sonore is coming out with a premium LPS power supply particularly for the MicroRendu, which I plan to get once available, which should even give me somewhat improved sonics over my current LPS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: microRendu_.jpg
Views: 0
Size: 65.2 KB
ID: 1419066
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	microRendu_.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1419082  

My home theater at:

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 05-02-2016 at 05:55 PM.
post #184 of 186 Old 05-08-2016, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I love the Microrendu. Sonically, using the HDPlex linear power supply it at least equals, ifnot betters in some respects, my CAPSv4 media server!

To improve sonics ever more, I just ordered a Sonore Signature Power Supply for the Microrendu!

My home theater at:
post #185 of 186 Old 06-30-2016, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Let me explain again how I have used Roon in my system during this year so far:

1. Initially, I installed RoonServerInstaller64, on my then CAPSv4 (operated headless, using Teamviewer to remotely control the CAPSv4 from my PCs or iPad) (I didn't install the "full" RoonInstaller64 program because Windows 8.1 Pro had been optimized on my CAPSv4 to elimate unnecessary functions, including those necessary for Roon's video display). This program permitted me to utilize the CAPSv4 USB output for audio.

2. In April, Roon updated to version 1.2, a BIG DEAL! I was able to install RoonInstaller64 on my Toshiba laptop; and install RoonBridgeinstaller64 on my CAPSv4. Thanks to RoonBridge on my CAPSv4, I was able to have all the internet seeking for metadata & info, and audio processing, done by my Toshiba laptop; using the RoonBridge on the CAPSv4 only as the USB audio output.

3. I then substituted my CAPSv3 (which runs JRiver for multi-channel via HDMI) (which I quit using for 2 channel via USB once I got the CAPSv4) running RoonServerInstaller64 for the Toshiba laptop, as the CAPSv3 is fanless, and as when I run Roon I am not also running JRiver (which I now use only for multi-channel) at the same time as Roon.

4. In May, I replaced the CAPSv4 as a RoonBridge (outputting
USB audio) with the Microrendu (which comes Roonready, which is the same as loading RoonBridge onto a computer).

My current Roon setup:

CAPSv3 runs RoonServerInstaller64. Microrendu is Roon Ready.

WDMyCloudEX4 (Western Digital) 16 TB Server connects via ethernet cable to Linksys router/access point.

CAPSv3 connects via ethernet cable to Linksys router/access point.

Microrendu connects via ethernet cable to Linksys router/access point.

Microrendu connects via USB output/USB cable to Berkely Audio USB to digital converter.

Berkely connects via Cardas AES/EBU digital cable to Theta CBIV SSP.

Theta CBIV SSP connects via three Cardas AES/EBU digital cables to three external Theta Gen VIII Series 3 DACs.

I initially used the Microrendu with the HDPlex 100 watt linear power supply (LPS) that came with my CAPSv4, and it was a clear sonic improvement over the CAPSv4. After I few weeks, my new Sonore Signature Power Supply (with 2 Synergistic Research black fuses) arrived, and this was a substantial sonic improvement even more than before!

Note that my CAPSv3 (and now sold CAPSv4) Windows 8.1 Pro operating systems were optimized by Andrew Gillis, Small Green Computer (he also wrote the software for the Microrendu) to delete unnecessary functions for the best audio sonics and to avoid operating hiccups. I have personally experienced operating hiccups when using a computer without having Windows optimized for audio usage.

Having the main Roon core with all processing done on one computer, with another computer or component operating as a Roon bridge or endpoint, gives appreciably better sonics than having all of Roon done on one computer. And then add the Microrendu and I found the additional sonic improvement was simply breathtaking.

My home theater at:
post #186 of 186 Old 09-04-2016, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

So what have I done/changed the past few months:

For two channel stereo (and expanded to 5.1 channel sometimes on music): Started using ROON on my then CAPSv4 Pipeline about Jan. 2016. In April, ROON allowed me to run ROON Core on one computer, and use another computer as a ROON bridge, so I used my CAPSv3, retired from stereo use and still used with JRiver MC for multi-channel audio, as the ROON Core and the CAPSv4 as the ROON bridge. Then, May 2016, CAPSv4 is retired and sold and replaced by the Sonore Microrendu as a ROON endpoint.
Just a few days ago, replaced the CAPSv3 as the ROON Core with the Small Green Computer Sonic Transporter i5.

Added a pair of TP-LINK GB Media Converters between the Microrendu ethernet connection to the Linksys router/access point

Inserted a pair of PS Audio Quintets, each powered by one of my two PS Audio P5 power regenerators. One Quintet is used for computer & networking gear, including providing clean power to my new pair of HDPLex 100W LPS (linear power supplied). The HDPlex’s are used to connect DC power inputs of the Linksys router, Linksys switcher, Sonic Transporter i5,
Lumagen 2143 video processor, 2 TP-Link GB Media Converters, Western Digital WDMyCloudEX4 Server. The other Quintet is used for 3 DirecTV power plugs.

My home theater at:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page