My Dedicated Audiophile Home Theater - Steve Bruzonsky - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #181 of 199 Old 03-19-2016, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Over the past few months I've made a few changes:

1. Now using ROON software for 2 channel music instead of JRiverMC 21, the latter which I still use for multi-channel music.

2. Now using a Curious Cable .8M USB cable (for CAPSv4 Pipeline 2 channel music server)

3. Now using Lumagen 2143 for video scaling/processing (got a great price on one used), replacing my Lumagen Radiance XE. I did this only because the 2143 has built-in Darbee processing which I use.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 199 Old 04-14-2016, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

EGADS! ROON has just got WAY better in my audio/home theater system!!!@@@

My ROON setup, until tonight, was as follows:

CAPSv4 (Computer Audiophile forum server, version 4), USB out. With Roonserver loaded, designated as my primary music computer for ROON, because ROON would only use the USB out from the primary music server.

iPad Pro with the iPad Pro app for ROON, used as a controller only.

Also a Toshiba laptop, with the full RoonInstaller loaded, but used only as a controller as well.

Tonight, as I started listening to music with ROON, an auto ROON software install came up and loaded. I checked and found out the ROON version is now 1.2. And version 1.2 also has RoonBridge software, which now allows the full RoonInstaller to be installed on a computer remote, that is, from the media server that is outputting the USB music!

Now my ROON setup, as of late last night (Tuesday night) (EXCITING!) is:

CAPSv4 (Computer Audiophile forum server, version 4), USB out. With Roonserver and RoonBridge loaded, designated as a remote computer for ROON.

CAPSv3 Zuma (Computer Audiophile forum server, version 3) (modded a bit). I use this media server only for multi-channel out via HDMI using JRiver Media Center software (as ROON does not at this time do multi-channel audio). But NOW I have loaded the main RoonInstaller, the full ROON program, and I have this computer designated as primary for ROON. ROON’s database is now on this computer. This computer does all the filing, searching, internet connections, audio processing, etc now for ROON and my 2 channel audio – then the audio file goes through my wi-fi network to the CAPSv4 and out its USB. HA!

iPad Pro with the iPad Pro app for ROON, used as a controller only.

Also a Toshiba laptop, with the full RoonInstaller loaded, but used only as a controller as well.

ROON as configured prior to tonight, in my system, sounded better than JRiver Media Center 21, for stereo!

By moving all the PC “work” and “processing” over to the CAPSv3, the sonic improvement is astounding and amazing!!@@@

ROON is a terrific audio playing program for audiophiles and music luvers! Its metadata capabilities alone are reason to use ROON. But its audio quality particularly when you use a separate computer for the ROON processing, etc (as I use the CAPSv3), and use a media server pretty much only to pass on the audio signal (as I use the CAPSv4), is second to none! I am blown away! I wonder how long I will stay up listening to music tonite? Its already 2 AM!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 04-14-2016 at 02:09 AM.
post #183 of 199 Old 05-02-2016, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Sonore and also Small Green Computer just started sales of their revolutionary new product, the Sonore MicroRendu - A Revolution in Music Server Price & Quality!

Read the review at:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...part-1/Product for sale at Sonore’s website, also at Small Green Computer for a “whole” $640! http://microjukebox.com/products/mic...nt=18223114884

MICRORENDU

• $ 64000

Connect your USB DAC to your network.
The microRendu allows you to play music from many different network music sources on your USB attached DAC.
POWER SUPPLY OPTIONS
iFi iPower Supply - 100-240VAC, 50/60Hz, ~1uV average audio band noise floor, for USA/UK/EU/AUS electrical outlets, with Active Noise Cancellation+

SPECIFICATIONS:
AUDIO
• Supported File Formats: FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, MP3, AAC, OGG, WMA, WMA-L, DSF, DFF
• Native Sampling Rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 352.8kHz and 384kHz
• DSD formats: DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256
• Bit Depths: 16, 24
• SPDIF output supports: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, and 192kHz both in 16 bit and 24 bit
CONNECTIVITY
• Network: Gigabit Ethernet RJ45
• USB: 2 USB ports
• SPDIF: 1 optical SPDIF digital output
• Power: 5VDC input
• Network Protocols: DLNA, , Squeezebox®, Roon RAAT
USER INTERFACE
• Android: App Available Online at Google Play Store - OrangeSqueeze
• iOS: App Available Online at Apple App Store - iPeng
• Roon iOS or Android App
DIMENSIONS:
• 3.5"x2.2"x.7"
• 1 lbs
POWER CONSUMPTION:
• 8 Watts
OPERATING ENVIRONMENT:
• 0° C to 40° C

I just ordered one! For now they are sold out.

I will be using it in my system in place of my CAPSv4 Pipeline, which I will sell. This component will be my RoonBridge, in lieu of the CAPSv4 Pipeline I am using right now for this purpose.My CAPSv3 Zuma will continue to be used for multi-channel audio over HDMI with JRiver Media Center; and also my CAPSv3 Zuma will continue to run the main RoonServer program to interface with internet music info and data and to do the processing/conversion of audio files and then send them via Ethernet to the MicroRendu which will output clean and isolated audio over USB to the rest of my system! I was hopin’ this would come about. Never expected so quick. For now, I will be using the MicroRendu with the external LPS power supply that came with my CAPSv4. Sonore is coming out with a premium LPS power supply particularly for the MicroRendu, which I plan to get once available, which should even give me somewhat improved sonics over my current LPS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: microRendu_.jpg
Views: 0
Size: 65.2 KB
ID: 1419066
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	microRendu_.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1419082  

My home theater at:

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 05-02-2016 at 05:55 PM.

post #184 of 199 Old 05-08-2016, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

I love the Microrendu. Sonically, using the HDPlex linear power supply it at least equals, ifnot betters in some respects, my CAPSv4 media server!

To improve sonics ever more, I just ordered a Sonore Signature Power Supply for the Microrendu!

My home theater at:
post #185 of 199 Old 06-30-2016, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Let me explain again how I have used Roon in my system during this year so far:

1. Initially, I installed RoonServerInstaller64, on my then CAPSv4 (operated headless, using Teamviewer to remotely control the CAPSv4 from my PCs or iPad) (I didn't install the "full" RoonInstaller64 program because Windows 8.1 Pro had been optimized on my CAPSv4 to elimate unnecessary functions, including those necessary for Roon's video display). This program permitted me to utilize the CAPSv4 USB output for audio.

2. In April, Roon updated to version 1.2, a BIG DEAL! I was able to install RoonInstaller64 on my Toshiba laptop; and install RoonBridgeinstaller64 on my CAPSv4. Thanks to RoonBridge on my CAPSv4, I was able to have all the internet seeking for metadata & info, and audio processing, done by my Toshiba laptop; using the RoonBridge on the CAPSv4 only as the USB audio output.

3. I then substituted my CAPSv3 (which runs JRiver for multi-channel via HDMI) (which I quit using for 2 channel via USB once I got the CAPSv4) running RoonServerInstaller64 for the Toshiba laptop, as the CAPSv3 is fanless, and as when I run Roon I am not also running JRiver (which I now use only for multi-channel) at the same time as Roon.

4. In May, I replaced the CAPSv4 as a RoonBridge (outputting
USB audio) with the Microrendu (which comes Roonready, which is the same as loading RoonBridge onto a computer).

My current Roon setup:

CAPSv3 runs RoonServerInstaller64. Microrendu is Roon Ready.

WDMyCloudEX4 (Western Digital) 16 TB Server connects via ethernet cable to Linksys router/access point.

CAPSv3 connects via ethernet cable to Linksys router/access point.

Microrendu connects via ethernet cable to Linksys router/access point.

Microrendu connects via USB output/USB cable to Berkely Audio USB to digital converter.

Berkely connects via Cardas AES/EBU digital cable to Theta CBIV SSP.

Theta CBIV SSP connects via three Cardas AES/EBU digital cables to three external Theta Gen VIII Series 3 DACs.

I initially used the Microrendu with the HDPlex 100 watt linear power supply (LPS) that came with my CAPSv4, and it was a clear sonic improvement over the CAPSv4. After I few weeks, my new Sonore Signature Power Supply (with 2 Synergistic Research black fuses) arrived, and this was a substantial sonic improvement even more than before!

Note that my CAPSv3 (and now sold CAPSv4) Windows 8.1 Pro operating systems were optimized by Andrew Gillis, Small Green Computer (he also wrote the software for the Microrendu) to delete unnecessary functions for the best audio sonics and to avoid operating hiccups. I have personally experienced operating hiccups when using a computer without having Windows optimized for audio usage.

Having the main Roon core with all processing done on one computer, with another computer or component operating as a Roon bridge or endpoint, gives appreciably better sonics than having all of Roon done on one computer. And then add the Microrendu and I found the additional sonic improvement was simply breathtaking.

My home theater at:
post #186 of 199 Old 09-04-2016, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

So what have I done/changed the past few months:

For two channel stereo (and expanded to 5.1 channel sometimes on music): Started using ROON on my then CAPSv4 Pipeline about Jan. 2016. In April, ROON allowed me to run ROON Core on one computer, and use another computer as a ROON bridge, so I used my CAPSv3, retired from stereo use and still used with JRiver MC for multi-channel audio, as the ROON Core and the CAPSv4 as the ROON bridge. Then, May 2016, CAPSv4 is retired and sold and replaced by the Sonore Microrendu as a ROON endpoint.
Just a few days ago, replaced the CAPSv3 as the ROON Core with the Small Green Computer Sonic Transporter i5.

Added a pair of TP-LINK GB Media Converters between the Microrendu ethernet connection to the Linksys router/access point

Inserted a pair of PS Audio Quintets, each powered by one of my two PS Audio P5 power regenerators. One Quintet is used for computer & networking gear, including providing clean power to my new pair of HDPLex 100W LPS (linear power supplied). The HDPlex’s are used to connect DC power inputs of the Linksys router, Linksys switcher, Sonic Transporter i5,
Lumagen 2143 video processor, 2 TP-Link GB Media Converters, Western Digital WDMyCloudEX4 Server. The other Quintet is used for 3 DirecTV power plugs.

My home theater at:
post #187 of 199 Old 10-19-2016, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Amazing thread Steve. I came to your thread after searching the entire forum for the sonicTransporter i5 ! There aren't many photos of it on the web and in forums.

Are you able to share some pics, of the front, sides and back of the unit, just so I can see the ports available and the build of the unit.

It looks very cool on the main sales website and judging from your feedback in this thread, performs really well

Thanks in advance

sonicTransporter i5 running Roon Server > DirectStream Dac & Bridge II > Peachtree 220se > GE Triton Ones

Analysis Plus Speaker Cables, Interconnects & Power Cables
Elgar Ultra High Isolation Transformer
post #188 of 199 Old 10-19-2016, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em84 View Post
Amazing thread Steve. I came to your thread after searching the entire forum for the sonicTransporter i5 ! There aren't many photos of it on the web and in forums.

Are you able to share some pics, of the front, sides and back of the unit, just so I can see the ports available and the build of the unit.

It looks very cool on the main sales website and judging from your feedback in this thread, performs really well

Thanks in advance
Here are pictures of my Small Green Computer i5 Transporter!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1131.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1724001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1132.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1724009  

My home theater at:
post #189 of 199 Old 10-19-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Here are pictures of my Small Green Computer i5 Transporter!
Thanks Steve ! Do the HDMI and speaker ports actually work or have all video and sound output component's been stripped from the motherboard to keep the sonicT i5 as efficient as possible for storage and network playback only ?

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

sonicTransporter i5 running Roon Server > DirectStream Dac & Bridge II > Peachtree 220se > GE Triton Ones

post #190 of 199 Old 10-19-2016, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em84 View Post
Thanks Steve ! Do the HDMI and speaker ports actually work or have all video and sound output component's been stripped from the motherboard to keep the sonicT i5 as efficient as possible for storage and network playback only ?

Sorry, I only use the Transporter i5 for Roon Core with the Microrendu as a Roon Endpoint. You would have to ask Small Green Computer your questions, or post them at the Computer Audiophile forum.

My home theater at:
post #191 of 199 Old 10-19-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I only use the Transporter i5 for Roon Core with the Microrendu as a Roon Endpoint. You would have to ask Small Green Computer your questions, or post them at the Computer Audiophile forum.
Thanks Steve. I also have the microrendu and will be using it similarly to you. I wanted to know if the sonicT has stripped away unnecessary components (like video processing and audio output) the way has been done with the microrendu to optimise performance. I thought you may know or have asked in the past but I'll post in the relevant threads. Seeing those HDMI and speaker out and mic in ports made me curious.

Many thanks again for sharing and what a great system you have!

post #192 of 199 Old 12-02-2016, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Here's my now updated system info. I have recently added three HDplex 100 watt linear power supplies, which power all of my DC input components, giving me much cleaner and better sounding power than using the supplied DC bricks! (The only exception is my three DC bricks for my DirecTV system are plugged into a PS Audio Quintet, which is plugged into one of my PS Audio P5 Power Plants)
And most significantly, my 3 Theta Digital Generation VIII Series 3 DACs are gone (sold), replaced by the new Xtreme D3 DACs internal to the Theta Casablanca 4 SSP (surround sound processor), and which I have verified sound as good or better than when I was using the 3 Generation 8 DACs. Its really amazing. New technology, with the volume controls on and as part of the D3 DAC cards, give us the very best internal DAC cards for a SSP, with the resulting sound competitive and even better than most of the two channel DACs sold today!

Quote:
Below is current information on my theater and components as of December 2016!

STEVE BRUZONSKY’S HOME THEATER SYSTEM – December 2016

VIDEO DISPLAY AND PROCESSING:

Sim2 C3X 1080 3 chip DLP Projector

Lumagen 2143 video processor/scaler

ISCO IIIL Anamorphic Lens and Cineslide Multistand II, with PPL-XL custom extra long length Cineslide mount kit

Stewart Cine-V Curved Screen, 2:35 128” W X 54” H, with drop down side masking to 96” W for 16:9, 1.3 gain.

LG 55UB8500 55 inch 4k Ultra HDTV (under projection screen)

AUDIO VIDEO SOURCES & PROCESSING:

Theta Casablanca 4 surround processor (with DIRAC Live room correction) with 2 Xtreme D3 DAC cards (12 channels – ready for Dolby Atmos in near future, when the CB 4a becomes available with Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D, for which I will be adding four KEF THX in ceiling speakers and an ATI multi-channel amp for those speakers)
(I had three Theta Generation VIII Series 3 DACs connected via a full bandwith digital out card to the Theta CB 4, and when I recently added the D3 DACs I found that they sound as good or better than the Generation VIII DACs, which I have sold) (My current configuration is 5.1 channels, with the two subwoofers chained to each other).

Theta Compli Blu 3D Universal Player (Blu Ray, SACD, DVD-A, CD)

Oppo 103D Universal player (which I use to rip SACDs)

Amazon Fire HD

Customized CAPS3.0 Zuma Music Server (computer, assembled and purchased from Small Green Computer),
used for multi-channel HDMI output to Theta Casablanca IV SSP (using JRiverMC 21 software for multi-channel music).

Small Green Computer Sonic Transporter i5 used for ROON Core, and Sonore Microrendu, as ROON endpoint, for 2 channel stereo output over USB to Berkeley Audio Alpha USB Converter, then AES/EBU to Casablanca IV SSP). Powered by Sonore Signature Power Supply with Synergistic Research fuses

Western Digital WDMyCloudEX4 16TB network server (with more than 8TB for 2Ch music); and Western Digital WDMyCloud 8TB (with more than 4.5TB for multi-channel music) (in theater room, as fans make no discernable noise) (connected by CAT6a Ethernet cable to Netgear access point, which is then connected by CAT6a Ethernet cable to the CAPSv3 (multi-channel music player), MicroRendu.and Sonic Transporter i5 (two channel music player)

2 TP-Link GB Media Converters, placed between Linksys WRT 1900AC router and Microrendu

Berkley Audio Alpha USB Converter

3 Linksys WRT1900AC routers, programmed with one in upstairs home office as main router, and two as bridges – one in home theater, one at West main floor of home, for wireless network)

Netgear GS116NA 16 port ethernet switch

DirecTV HR44 Genie with C41 Genie Client
REMOTE:

Apple IPad Pro (for remote Music Server playback), using both JRemote and TeamViewer 10.

POWER AMPLIFIERS:

5 Theta Digital Prometheus monoblock amplifiers.

SPEAKERS AND STANDS:

5 Aerial Acoustics 7t speakers (including one for front center channel). Surround 7ts are elevated an additional 6 inches high by having OsirisGiza Mk II stands .

2 JL Audio Fathom f212 subwoofers (each subwoofer has two 12” woofers).

2 custom Acoustic Sciences Corporation SubTraps (22” X 22” X 15” high)

AUDIO AND VIDEO CABLES:

HDMI Cabling Monoprice 18Gbps Ultra Slim High Performance HDMI Cable w/ Redmere Technology and Blue Jeans BJC-FE HDMI cables, with Blue Jeans BJC Series-1 HDMI cabling in wall to projector

Five Pairs Cardas Clear Light 1.5M speaker cables (each speaker biwired with one pair)

Granite Audio Model 470 Silver Analog Interconnects (single-ended and balanced) for long runs from monoblock amplifiers to speakers.

Mogami microphone XLR subwoofer interconnects

Cardas Audio Clear AES/EBU 1.5M digital audio cables

Curious Cable Link USB cable (connecting Microrendu to Berkley Audio USB Converter)

Blue Jeans Cat 6a and Audioquest Cinnamon & Forest Ethernet Cat7 Cables

POWER ACCESSORIES:

2 - PS Audio Perfect Wave P5 Power Plants
2 – PS Audio Quintet (Each one connected to a P5, one used for computer & networking, and one used for 3
DirecTV plugs)
3 – HDPlex 100W LPS (Linear Power Supplied). Each of the PS Audio P5s feeds one of the HDPlex 100W LPS.
The HDPlex’s are used to connect DC power inputs of the Linksys router, Netgear switcher, Sonic Transporter i5,
Lumagen 2143 video processor, 2 TP-Link GB Media Converters, Western Digital WDMyCloudEX4 and WDMyCloud Servers.

PS Audio Soloist in wall power conditioner (for all non-amplifier components)

PS Audio Power Ports AC outlets

Granite Audio Model 560 and 555 power cords

Audioprism Noise Sniffer and Audioprism Quietline AC Filters

COMPONENT RACKS:

Michael Green Deep Clampracks, one 54" high and two 48" high

Michael Green Deluxe Justarack Tuning Boards (3)

Steve Blinn amplifier stands (2)

ROOM ACOUSTICAL TREATMENTS:

Michael Green Acoustical Crown Molding 5" (black) placed on bevel at wall/ceiling seams

Michael Green Pressure Zone Controllers (black): Four Mini Corner Controllers, placed at ceiling corners over ACM joints; Eight Wall Mount Controllers 36", one at each of four wall corners, two on each side wall; and Six Mini Echo Controllers, one centered above the screen at the wall/ceiling seam, one centered above the back cabinets' wetbar at ball wall/ceiling seam, and one placed on the ceiling above each Aerial Acoustics 10T speaker

FURNITURE:

La-Z-Boy Legend Power Leather Recliners. 1st row three recliners, with console including two cupholders inbetween the front row center and right recliners. 2nd row two recliners with console including two cupholders between them.

OTHER ACCESSORIES/TWEAKS:

Symposium Platforms, Ultra and Svelte.

Symposium Rollerblocks Series 2.

Cardas Caps (for components' unused RCA inputs/outputs)

Michael Green Cable Grounds.

Notes on Setup & Special Dedicated Room Construction and Features
Notes on Setup:
All speakers are floorstanding.
How far apart are the main speakers? 168" (14 feet) front left from front right, & surround left from surround right. 165" (13 feet 9 inches) front left from surround left, & front right from surround right. All speakers including front center are Aerial Acoustics 7ts. Center speaker is equidistant from front center as the other speakers. The four front and surround Aerial Acoustics 7t speakers are setup at about 2, 4, 8 and 10 o'clock on circle, tilted at the center front row "sweet spot" (two rows of leather recliners each row) listening/viewing position at about 45 degrees, with each of the four main 7ts facing another 7t diagonally at a 45 degree angle.
How far is the listener from the rear wall? Rear row 5 feet, and front row 11 feet from back wall.
Placement of the rear surround speakers? Rear surrounds are about 1.5 feet to the rear of the rear row listening positions. Rear surrounds are about 7.5 feet to the rear of the front row listening position.
How many rows of seat in the theater? 2 rows,3 leather recliners in front, 2 leather recliners in back, back row raised 8 inches on a platform. Back row left seat (2 recliners in back row) is right in the center sweet spot of the speakers from left to right. Front row center seat (3 recliners in front row) is right in the center sweet spot of the speakers from left to right.
Surround Processor Settings: I have Theta CB4 settings including Dirac and speaker levels with one setting for front row and another setting for back row. I primarily listen to music in the back row. I may watch movies/tv from front or back row.
Acoustic Treatments? Normally, the Aerial 7ts are too far apart for excellent imaging and sonics; however, thanks to the Michael Green Pressure Zone Controllers and acoustical treatments, this is preferred positioning for best home theater sonics. The Pressure Zone Controllers at the front of the room are adjusted for a solid phantom center image with only stereo playing for the front left and right 7t; and towards and at the back, the controllers are adjusted for more ambience.

SPECIAL DEDICATED ROOM CONSTRUCTION AND FEATURES:

Home Theater room dimensions are 18 feet 3 inches wide, 25 feet long and 11 feet 11 inches high. This is #3 on the Louden scale of best acoustical audio dimensions, to lessen the room node interaction at low bass frequencies as much as possible.

The room was added East of the Master Bedroom. A hallway and bathroom are between the Master Bedroom and the Home Theater room. The theater's cement foundation has seams between the theater and the hallway/bathroom, and also between the hallway/bathroom and the Master Bedroom, for vibration control.

Double masonite doors with wood and rubber seals around them lead from the Master Bedroom to the hallway, and from the hallway to the theater. Double 2 inch X 4 inch stud walls, with 1 inch air space inbetween, are between the Master Bedroom and the hallway/bathroom.

At the rear of the home theater, flat black cabinets with a wetbar in the middle are 20 inches deep with the 2 inch X 6 inch stud wall in back of the cabinets.

There is blown in cellulose insulation for all of the walls, which seeps into and perfectly seals all nooks and crannies, except the ceiling insulation is BAT (much of the ceiling is taken up by large oversized air conditioning ducts and there was insuficient room up there to squeeze in a blow in cellulose). USG Acoustical Sealant was used on all stud surfaces to minimize vibrations. Sound board, followed by gyp board, was installed on all of the walls and ceiling of the entire addition.

The air conditioning return is at the rear of the theater underneath the cabinets and is roughly about more than 10 feet long and 4 inches in height. The air conditioning is whisper quiet thanks to the oversized gentle turns insulated air ducts. The air return is located in the attic above the bathroom, with a separate air conditioning unit outside the room, and with the air conditioning unit on a concrete slab separated from the addition's concrete slab, so that the air conditioning is self-contained and totally separate from the rest of our home.

The local code requires at minimum the Home Theater room's windows, two windows four feet wide X 5 feet high. Each window is on the north and south side walls, with each window ending 7 feet from the front video screen wall, just behind the very front of the front left and right Aerial Acoustics 7T speakers. The windows consist of one double pane outside and a single pane inside. Each pane is on a separate wood insulated frame to minimize vibrations and maximize soundproofing. Manual Draper Lightblock shades ensure that the room remains totally dark for video.

Our home has a 400 amp electrical service. That service was originally split into two 200 amp panel boxes, one for the East and one for the West side of our home. With the new addition at the East of our home, its 200 amp service panel box has a new 100 amp circuit breaker, which is isolated from the 200 amp panel from which its fed, which feeds a third panel box which contains 19 dedicated 20 amp, 10 guage wire circuits for the Home Theater room only. However, I intentionally wired the Home Theater room and addition lighting, a ceiling dedicated 20 amp circuit (which can but is not presently used for the projector), and the addition air conditioning dedicated 30 amp circuit into the pre-existing East panel box, to help keep noise from those circuits out of the panel box and dedicated circuits for audio and video components. The 19 dedicated 20 amp circuits in the Home Theater room panel box are wall wired same electrical phase, skipping every even circuit in the panel box (otherwise, as in typical panel boxes which don't skip every even circuit, this results in doubling the AC power noise). 4 guage copper wire runs from the Home Theater panel box to a nearby 8 foot copper ground rod well buried in the ground. The house ground is a 4 guage copper wire from the East panel box. And a 4 guage copper wire connects the copper ground rod to the house ground. The Home Theater room electrical outlets are PS Audio Power Ports 20 amp (which replaced Hubbell one grade below hospital grade in August 2002). In 2007 added whole house surge suppression, Innovative Technology (Eaton) PTE160 for 400 amp panel and PTE0481S101 for home theater panel.

Home Theater room colors are optimized for front projection, black carpet over a cement foundation, black ceiling, and black side walls from the front screen wall out seven feet to the edge of the windows, the remainder of the room is dark gray (the dark gray looks like a medium to lighter gray when placed next to black).

Three black art deco style theater lights on each side wall.

Lutron Grafik Eye 3000 remote controlled lighting.

A black, remote controlled whisper quiet ceiling fan centered about two-thirds into the room from the front screen wall.

Boltz Multimedia racks for audio and video media.

Four Billy Bags amp stands are used as mobile end tables.

My home theater at:
post #193 of 199 Old 03-02-2017, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Here's my now updated system info. I have recently added three HDplex 100 watt linear power supplies, which power all of my DC input components, giving me much cleaner and better sounding power than using the supplied DC bricks! (The only exception is my three DC bricks for my DirecTV system are plugged into a PS Audio Quintet, which is plugged into one of my PS Audio P5 Power Plants)
And most significantly, my 3 Theta Digital Generation VIII Series 3 DACs are gone (sold), replaced by the new Xtreme D3 DACs internal to the Theta Casablanca 4 SSP (surround sound processor), and which I have verified sound as good or better than when I was using the 3 Generation 8 DACs. Its really amazing. New technology, with the volume controls on and as part of the D3 DAC cards, give us the very best internal DAC cards for a SSP, with the resulting sound competitive and even better than most of the two channel DACs sold today!
For the past few years, I had not listened that much to multi-channel music (primarily ripped SACDs) because my two channel has sounded so much better.

My two channel has been using a Berkley Audio Alpha USB converter and Cardas AES/EBU digital cable, with a dedicated 2 channel media server which for some time had been a CAPSv4 - but the most recent itineration is:

Small Green Computer Sonic Transporter i5, connected via ethernet cable from network switcher; Sonore Microrendu, connected via two ethernet cables with two fiber converters inbetwen the ethernet cables, from network switcher; and connected by very short Curious Cable link (USB cable) to Berkley Audio Alpha USB converter, connected via Cardas AES/EBU digital cable to Theta CBIV. Using ROON, with ROON core on the Transporter i5, and the Microrendu is a ROON endpoint.

My multi-channel has been using a custom/modded CAPSv3 with Sapphire/AMD video card, connected by HDMI cable to Theta CBIV. I had been using either a PS Audio silver HDMI cable or a BlueJeans Cable HDMI cable, both of which about sounded the same. Using JRiver Media Center software. And HDMI simply hasn't compared to two channel for the past few years in sonic quality.

In recent months a number of changes have made multi-channel music sound way better!

First, about 4-5 months ago, I sold my three external Theta Generation VIII Series 3 DACs, and installed new D3 internal DAC cards (thanks Craig Shumer/VGI for arranging all of this). I felt that the D3 DACs
sound as good as the external Gen VIIIs, although I can't say I noticed a noticeable change in sonics for multi-channel music.

About two months ago, I got a decent deal on a top line Audioquest Diamond HDMI cable (thanks again Craig/VGI, who didn't even suggest this, but I thought I'd try it as he is now an Audioquest dealer).
Unquestionably really nice sonic improvement where I started listening to more multi-channel music and really enjoying it - although, sonically, there was still a noticeable gap in performance.

In the past week, with ROON 1.3 recently coming out with multi-channel now a feature, I have migrated my multi-channel to ROON. So my current multi-channel setup is:

Small Green Computer Sonic Transporter i5, connected via ethernet cable from network switcher; custom/modded CAPSv3 with Sapphire/AMD video card, connected by ethernet cable to network switcher, also connected by Audioquest Diamond HDMI cable to Theta CBIV. Using ROON, Roon core on Transporter i5, Roonbridge on CAPS v3 (which has been using Windows 8.1Pro optimized by Small Green Computer for JRiver, which I just upgraded to a non-optimized Windows 10Pro).

You know those folks who keep telling us that we hear the placebo effect, what we expect to hear, or that what we believe we hear isn't accurate because we haven't done a proper blind test?
By this analysis: I expected a sonic improvement using ROON for multi-channel - but in now way did I expect multi-channel to improve so much that I would most of the time have trouble distinguishing the sonics of my two vs multi-channel. Before implementing ROON for multi-channel, for example, if I played some really well recorded two channel vocal/jazz music, there was still a stark detriment to the two vs multi-channel. Where multi-channel excelled was on say Chicago Quadio, some Heads Up Jazz, and other stuff with some good material in the surround channels, where even though two channel was more you are there, the multi-channel was fun! This is what I expected to improve with ROON for multi-channel!

So with ROON fully working for multi-channel, I started playing some music! Stuff like Chicago Quadio and some multi-channel jazz sounded better than before, no doubt.

then I got Alison Krauss' new album in 96-24. Had listened to it several times with my two channel setup. Now, I tried it with ROON over my multi-channel server, Wholy Batman! I was having a hard time distinguishing two channel Microrendu vs multi-channel CAPSv3 HDMI! In fact, I can play both two channel Microrendu and multi-channel HDMI at the same time, all I have to do is hit my remote to switch CBIV source inputs, and I can easily compare. On playing some marching band hi-res music, it also sounded close - though I thought perhaps the horns were maybe more dynamic and real with two channel.

I've had a nasty cold since setting this all up in past week, so I really haven't been in the mood for much critical listening! And I'm not in any hurry! When I feel better I'll have a few audio friends over to do some comparative listening and "see" what they think (Dave, you listening!).

Bottom line though - my "new " multi-channel HDMI is so darn good with ROON, etc that I am blown away. And most folks would be very happy with just using HDMI if they could get it to sound this good!

My home theater at:
post #194 of 199 Old 04-13-2017, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Final Verdict: On the best quality recordings, two channel Microrendu USB audio still sounds the best and most real and live in my system! But if one didn't have that and just had my HDMI multi-channel audio one would be most happy anyway! And on excellent multi-channel "discs" like Grover Washington "Limelight" with interesting and fun surround tracks HDMI audio is absolutely wonderful in my system!@@
CINERAMAX likes this.

My home theater at:
post #195 of 199 Old 05-24-2017, 03:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Steve,

Are you planning on upgrading your theater to accommodate Atmos? If so, what speakers will you use in addition to your Aerial 7T's?
post #196 of 199 Old 05-24-2017, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
Steve,

Are you planning on upgrading your theater to accommodate Atmos? If so, what speakers will you use in addition to your Aerial 7T's?
I've got four KEF Ci200RR-THX In-Ceiiing Speakers waiting to been soon installed, and an ATI AT526NC 6-channel Amplifier (200W RMS per channel) (Class D) that I'll be using for these Dolby Atmos speakers. Also, as soon as Theta Digital has the upgrade available for Dolby Atmos, my Casablanca IV SSP will be upgraded to IVa!

My home theater at:
post #197 of 199 Old 05-25-2017, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

I upgraded my network server from the Western Digital WDMyCloudEX4 16TB (with a mere .5GB RAM) to the latest greatest WDMyCloud Pro 4100 32TB (upgrading RAM from 4GB to 16GB)!
Using RAID 5 I was simply running out of space for my 11TB plus of two and multi channel music (RAID 5 takes up additional storage so that if a hard drive goes bad, you pop a new hard drive in and the server fills in the data).

Also, about 6 weeks ago I upgraded many of my ethernet cables to Audioquest Vodka, and changed the digital AES/EBU cable from Cardas Clear to Audioquest Diamond! Nice sonically!

My home theater at:

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 05-25-2017 at 08:06 AM.
post #198 of 199 Old 08-17-2017, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

FINALLY! My 4 KEF Ci2000rr-THX in ceiling speakers were installed two weeks ago today! I then had to move my three component racks back against the wall and resetup and reconnect all the components, which included my just arrived upgraded Theta Digital Casablanca IV to IV-A SSP with Dolby Atmos and DTS-X, and an ATI AT526NT multi-channel amplifier for the new in ceiling speakers. YEA!

Also setup a brand new Oppo UDP-205 4k blu ray universal player (the Theta Compli Blu 3d crapped out on me).

Also setup a brand new Sonore Signature Rendu, replacing the previous Sonore Ultrarendu and its external Sonore Signature Power Supply (for stereo USB out).

Very very happy camper!

My home theater at:
post #199 of 199 Old 08-17-2017, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

(Noted August 10, 2017):

My discoveries so far with the CB-IVA:

1. Darn - Upmix sounds nice using my 4 ceiling speakers on lots of stuff. As Cannga noted, adds a bit of spaciousness that you notice not with loud stuff but simply with low to medium musical or other noise (like wind) passages. However, if you set the mode to Upmix, then I figured out by observation/listening that if you play a Dolby Atmos soundtrack: (A) You will only get the base Dolby (e.g., Dolby True HD) and not the Atmos "top" channels - the Atmos "top" channels will be upmixed and synthesized, but you will lose the original mixes for the Atmos channels; and (B) the front display will show you this, because it will read only the base Dolby mode and not show "Atmos" as well. On blu ray, playing a passage at the start of "Prometheus", I did feel that in my system, it sounded somewhat more musical and cleaner using the "Direct" mode than the "Upmix" mode, although "Upmix" still sounds very nice. I could hear more of a difference playing the blu ray "3-D" from Kraftwerk with a Dolby Atmos Soundtrack, simply showing that you do not want to use "Upmix" as opposed to "Direct" when the soundtrack is Dolby Atmos. How "Upmix" vs "Direct" sounds to you for non-Atmos soundtracks may depend on the movie, your system, and your ears/brain. On multi-channel (mostly hi res) music from my CAPSv3 server, although "Direct" is somewhat cleaner, I sometimes prefer "Upmix". I NEVER have any idea directionwise that sound is coming from the "top"/ceiling speakers - my dealer Craig/VGI was certainly right in strongly recommending the KEF Ci200RR in ceiling speakers for me which match well with my main Aerial Acoustics 7ts (5 of them).

2. The non-HDMI digital inputs (coaxial, balanced, and I presume toslink which I have not bothered to test, and toslink is limited to 96k whereas coaxial/balanced go up to 192k) are limited to receiving 48k. Anything above and you either show a signal being received (on the front display) with no sound, or that no signal is received and no sound. Theta Tech John Baloff and Craig/VGI (my "super" Theta dealer) have been on top of this since I first reported this early last Monday, and Theta has determined that it is a command issue which is limiting the bandwidth of the SPDIF inputs at this time, which is set in the new DSP chip from an outside vendor. Theta is already communicating with the vendor so that a software upgrade will turn the filter to the correct bandwith, so that the other digital inputs will have the same bandwith and accept incoming digital signals up to 192k. I assume this will then be easily enabled in a firmware/software update for the CBIV-A. As the CBII-HD (operating at 48k) and the CBIV (operating at 96k, as does the CBIV-A) accepted incoming digital signals up to 192k for all digital inputs (not just HDMI), no one could have possible thought this would occur! But this should be fixed soon! I just replaced my Sonore Microrendu (and its top line Sonore Signature Power Supply, which I traded-in for great value) with a brand spanking new Sonore Signature Rendu (which as its own built in power supply with even better performance than the Sonore Signature Power Supply) - but I really am holding off on using it until this non-HDMI digital input is fixed by a software/firmware upgrade. I set the Sonore stuff to output 96k (downsampling/upsampling as needed) to the CBIV and now IVa - sounds much better than outputting 48k or 44k to the CBIV or CBIVA. I will be very glad when this is all done - hopefully soon - again thanks to Craig/VGI, John Baloff, and of course ATI/Theta's owner Morris Kessler who personally is on top of this issue! (You folks using basic streaming devices and sources that do not output above 48k will not know that this is even an issue - but I do, as I've been doing hi res stereo and multi-channel since 2011, and again, I reiterate, the HDMI inputs all handle up to 192k input and then the CBIV-A DSP processes at 96k - so this is an issue perhaps for 5-6 Theta luvers that I've seen post on this forum over the past several years, and most of you would never know or notice this if I didn't open my "big" mouth).

So far I am very, very impressed with the CBIV-A and its sonics!!! Oh - "Game of Thrones" on HBO sounds better than ever!

(Noted August 12, 2017):

Theta Digital CBIV-A – MARVELOUS!!!

My Long Road to the Theta Digital CBIV-A: My first Theta Digital purchase, a Theta Generation VA DAC, which I paired with a state of the art Citation 7.0 (analog) SSP, was 1993. Purchased the just out Theta Casablanca in 1997 and have upgraded as soon as available ever since (in the pre-HDMI digital CBIII-HD days even using the Six Shooter analog multi-channel preamp, and an Integra SSP to play blu rays analog out into the Six Shooter, with the CBIII from 2005-2011. In 2008 replaced my five Bryston 7B-ST monoblocks with five Theta Enterprise monoblocks. In 2011 replaced my front left & right Enterprises with Theta Citadel 1.5 monoblocks. In early 2014 replaced the Enterprises and Citadels with the very first in the world, out of the ATI/Theta factory, FIVE Theta Prometheus monoblocks. In 2011 I added a Theta Generation VIII Series 3 DAC for front left and right, and in 2014 I added two more Generation VIII Series 3 DACs, which replaced the Casablanca internal D2 DACs (which had replaced the Casablanca internal Superior DACs back in 2001). In 2016 the Generation VIII DACs were sold and replaced by two Casablanca internal D3 cards (12 channels, awaiting the Dolby Atmos upgrade), and I found no loss of sonics at all! Along the way I’ve had Theta disc players, Theta Voyager LD/DVD, then Theta Compli, then Theta Compli, Theta Compli Blu, and since 2012 Theta Compli Blu 3d.

Along the way, my speakers have been, starting when my dedicated home theatre room was built: As of 1997 – four Aerial 10Ts, Aerial CC3 center, five Vandersteen 2Wq subwoofers; 2001 replaced Aerial CC3 with Aerial CC5 center and added three Aerial SW12 subwoofers (and shortly thereafter sold off the five Vandersteen subwoofers); 2007 replaced the four Aerial 10ts with four Aerial 9s; early 2014 replaced the four Aerial 9s and Aerial CC5 with five Aerial 7ts, and replaced the three Aerial subwoofers with two JL Audio f212s.

As I initially “built” my multi-channel system along the concept of equidistant floorstanding speakers all around with equal electronics & speakers in each vector, if I made a change in any vector where equality was no longer I could hear it. In 2000 we soldered Bybee filters at the front left and right Aerial 7ts. After doing one speaker, and playing music, I was “pulled” to the Bybeeized speaker even though they were the same volume, as the Bybeeized speaker sounded better (though with more experience perhaps it sounded “different”, as I later realized that the filters may offer some sonic improvement but also perhaps some sonic loss of dynamics/microdynamics and didn’t use them on later speakers). Also, as we had yet to solder the Bybee filters into my center channel speaker, I noticed what a friend called a “hole” at the center channel, and compensated by turning up the center volume a few dB (even though it was louder using the dB meter). A few weeks later we soldered Bybee filters into the center speaker, the “hold” was gone, and I lowered the center volume to the same as my other speakers! In 2011 and for 3 years thereafter, with Theta Citadel 1.5 monoblocks and a Theta Generation VIII DAC at the front left and right but “only” Theta Enterprise monoblocks and Casablanca internal D2 DACs at the center and surrounds, although my system sounded “better” with the Citadels, particularly on two channel, I felt that I had lost some of the holographic imaging with my system more focuses on the front soundstage – with all of the marvelous holographic imaging restored with my 2014 “re-equalization” of five Aerial 7ts and five Theta Prometheus monoblocks!

Why tell you all of this? Because I was conflicted about upgrading to Dolby Atmos/DTS-X and adding four “top”/in ceiling speakers. I had thought about using four Aerial 5 speakers mounted off my 12 foot high ceiling for “top”/ceiling speakers, but not only was that too much $$, but even Michael Kelly of Aerial pooh poohed doing this stating that to sound right the Aerial 5s need to be a decent distance from the ceiling. I was deathly afraid that installing lesser amplifier and speakers for the “top”/ceiling speakers would detract from my sonics and that I was better off not upgrading and sticking with my “ground” based system (HA)!

I’d been going to a Dolby Atmos movie here and there at the Harkins Cine Capri (Tempe) and more recently AMC Stapley Dolby Cinema (Mesa). What I heard at times was not that much in terms of sounds coming clearly from above as a somewhat cleaner, clearer quieter better sounding movie (War for Planet of the Apes which I saw a month ago was the first Dolby Atmos movie where I really noticed sounded coming realistically from above).

Nonetheless, I am a bit of a technology home theatre junkie, and the addiction won out over my experienced judgment. Plus the fact that my long long longstanding Theta dealer, VGI/Craig Shumer, was of the opinion that one of the new ATI Class D multi-channel amplifiers and four KEF Ci2000rr in ceiling speakers would work well and sound excellentwith my on the ground Aerial speakers! And the price was reasonable, too! I actually got the new gear last December and I held off with the install until just over two weeks ago, as I was about to finally get my upgraded Theta CBIV-A with Dolby Atmos & DTS-X!
I took down all of my component racks and components (except I left monoblock amplifiers and speakers where they were) and moved out from the “component wall” so my installers would have room for ladder, etc to install the ceiling speakers (it was a good time to clean and condition all connections, which I did). The CBIV-A came back towards the end of July and my in ceiling speakers were installed two days later (Thursday July 27). Then the tedious task of moving the component racks back to the wall and loading the components, connecting all the cables, etc. Taking my time so as not to blow out my replaced right hip or two need any other joint replacements, and getting sore as hell in the process causing my hiatial hernia to act up for the first time in 6 months!
After parts of 2 days, my system is up (except for some adjusting and tweaking over the next few weeks). Even play a blu ray movie with my Theta Compli Blu 3d a few days later! And guess what! The next day, the Compli Blu 3d “died” on me. So I ordered and 2 days later (last Saturday) received a brand new Oppo UDP-205 4k blu ray player. (I got the heavier, more solidly built with video jitter reduction 205 instead of the 203 becausing the 205 is supposedly per a reviewer more musical for multichannel music and hoping that would translate over to movies as my system is so “musical” particularly as I am replacing the wonderful sounding over HDMI Theta Compli Blu 3d). Note the Oppo UDP-205 appears to be built more like a Theta player when it comes to weight, vibration control, better power supplies, etc. Since getting the Oppo a week ago, I have pretty much been burning it in around the clock playing the new Kraftwerk 3-D blu ray using the Dolby Atmos track (when I am out of room, leaving only the ATI multi-channel amplifier on for the “top”/ceiling speakers).

I have really liked using the “Upmix” mode for DirecTV programming, like “Game of Thrones”. Compared to my prior CBIV, I feel that the CBIV-A on DirecTV simply sounds at least a bit quieter and cleaner/clearer.

Note that I also have an Oppo UDP-103D blu ray player – which I’ve been using to rip SACDs, not for playing blu rays, as my Theta Compli Blu 3d simply sounded better for movies over HDMI (Theta players with upgraded power supply, etc have always sounded better then the corresponding Oppo players, which I have owned, in my system.) I recently compared the Kraftwerk Dolby Atmos track with the Oppo 103 & 205, and the 205 was clearly more musical, more dynamic, simply easily better sounding!
Meanwhile, I discover, which Theta is working to rectify with a software upgrade, that although HDMI inputs accept up to 192k, that the other digital inputs (I tested balanced and coaxial) only accept up to 48k. And I just received my brand new just out Sonore Signature Rendu to play two channel via USB out into my Berkeley Audio USB converter, then out balanced digital to my Theta CBIV-A SSP. Accordingly, the sonics with this new Rendu are just not there until the CBIV-A hopefully soon receives the software upgrade, and I am “merely” listening to my CAPSv3 HDMI multi-channel music server (which sounds better than ever with the CBIV-A, but my two channel via USB has always been my very best sounding musically). Although my multi-channel music sounds better than ever, since I moved by Western Digital MyCloudPR4100 AND Sonic Transporter i5 (both connecting via Ethernet) to my home office “far” away from my theatre room, that can perhaps account for some sonic improvement of my multi-channel music, not necessarily the upgraded CBIV-A (I think both “moves” contribute to better sonics.) I find that the CBIV-A’s direct digital mode is somewhat cleaner/clearer for multi-channel music, but sometimes I like the added ambience I get using the “ Upmix”mode.

A few days ago, I played “Deepwater Horizon”. However, I had the CBIV-A source input set for “Upmix”, thinking that when the SSP received a Dolby Atmos signal, it would automatically switch to Dolby Atmos. Sonics were nice, but I felt that something was missing. This is when I realized that on “Upmix”, the CBIV-A front display doesn’t show “Atmos”, and on “Upmix” the Atmos channels are being synthesized and you don’t get the original channels. To get the original Atmos channels, you need to set the source input for digital direct.
Last night, I played “The Girl on a Train” in DTS-X! No upmixing for the “top”/ceiling speakers this time! Even in DTS-X will the new Oppo UDP-205 (with audio jitter reduction circuitry for HDMI) sounds as good as my Theta Compli Blu 3d would have? I had my doubts! But alas, this is easily the best my system has ever, ever sounded on a blu ray movie. Spectacular. Cleaner, quieter, musically the best@! I am very very happy!

The BIGGEST improvement with the CBIV-A and Dolby Atmos/DTS-X is the extra crystal clear dialogue and “separation” of the dialogue from the “background” or “foreground” soundtrack/music. The fact that I have “lesser” speakers and amplifier for the “top”/ceiling channels is not something that I notice at all – so contrary to my expectations as discussed above. I do thank my dealer Craig/VGI because no doubt the KEF in-ceiling speakers work so well in my theatre with my ground floor Aerial 7ts.

THIS IS EXCITING! I GRADE THE CBIV-A UPGRADE AN A+!!!

OK. I put on "Deepwater Horizon" again, watching a few passages, this time using the CBIV-A's digital direct mode, where the CBIV-A display says "Atmos" and plays the original "top"/ceiling channels. Can clearly hear the sonic improvement over the "Upmix" mode. Nice!

Played some of the "Batman v Superman" blu ray. Just watched this abou two months ago with my CBIV system! Dolby Atmos in CBIV-A digital direct mode with front display saying "Atmos"!
Sounds even better than I remember (even though again I'm using the Oppo UDP-205 and not the Theta Compli Blu 3d I had used two months ago). My comments on sonic improvement as discussed above for the DTS-X track of "The Girl on a Train" stand as the same!! NICE! NICE!

I alsp played a bit of a 96-24 multi-channel blu ray of Julienne Taylor. Sounds great, as good as I remember a few months ago (my memory ain't good enough on this one to say better - but as good for me using the Oppo makes me very very happy)!

The CBIV-A is a KEEPER!!!@@@ As is the ATI multi-channel amp and KEF Ci2000RR-THX in ceiling speakers!

(Noted on August 16, 2017):

I watched the blu ray, Dolby Atmos, of "Alien:Covenant" last night! Again, using direct digital mode so I get all original channels in the soundtrack including "top"/ceiling channels. Sounded great!!!@@@ Best sonics ever for a blu ray with of course special effects galore done well! I've always had great imaging even pre-Atmos, but again, with Dolby Atmos, the surround sound and holographic 3D imaging is simply quieter and appreciably much better/more intense (in a relaxing way, which is outstanding) (I didn't think this would be possible) and of course dialogue is clearer than ever standing out more from everything else goin' on!

I am also starting to burn-in my brand spankin' new Sonore Signature Rendu, USB out for two channel. As noted above, until the CBIV-A gets a software upgrade so digital balanced/coaxial accepts up to 192-24 (right now accepts only up to 48-24), I have set the Rendu to output 44-16 redbook as 44-16 untouched, 48-16 or 48-24 as the original untouched, and I'm downsampling everything else to its even integers of either 48-24 or 44-24! And I must say, whether untouched, upsampled or downsampled, sounds marvelous! No matter how good the CBIV-A sounds over HDMI (and it does), its even better for two channel over digital balanced/coaxial (using Berkeley Audio USB to digital converter, and Berkeley recommends balanced digital as sounding best with also bnc digital sounding excellent as well).

I've already burned in the HDMI out on my new Oppo UDP-205 4k blu ray player. Now I'm burning in the Rendu.

I will soon be connecting analog stereo from Oppo to CBIV-A and burning in and trying that! I will also connect Rendu USB to Oppo, then via analog stereo to CBIV-A, and try that!

I also tried (I've done this before with prior Oppo/Theta blu ray players) using the Oppo connecting to my network and my music stored therein and playing over Oppo HDMI to CBIV-A.
As I always found in the past, this sound is pretty sterile - my HDMI out CAPSv3 music server sounds leagues better in this regard.

Stay tuned!

My home theater at:

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 08-17-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page