Franin HT - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 1228 Old 08-09-2012, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I connected using the Darbee Darblet and have to say Im impressed. Im at 50% and you can see the difference once activating the slider. Job well done I say smile.gif

Well I must say that was pretty fast shipping to your place. Congrates Frank. Mine should be at my place by Sat. afternoon.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 1228 Old 08-09-2012, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Well I must say that was pretty fast shipping to your place. Congrates Frank. Mine should be at my place by Sat. afternoon.

Thanks Al I was actually surprised myself smile.gif Saturday can't come any faster. Very easy to setup smile.gif

_________________________

Frank
Franin is offline  
post #723 of 1228 Old 08-09-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I watched my first movie get the gringo with the darblet and it looked really good. The details on the characters faces ( Mel especially ) was very clear. Will do some more testing tomorrow night with iron man.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is offline  
post #724 of 1228 Old 08-09-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Sounds like a worth while upgrade so far. Looking forward to more of your thoughts.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #725 of 1228 Old 08-09-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Sounds like a worth while upgrade so far. Looking forward to more of your thoughts.

Definitely a worthwhile investment Mike.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is offline  
post #726 of 1228 Old 08-10-2012, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I watched my first movie get the gringo with the darblet and it looked really good. The details on the characters faces ( Mel especially ) was very clear. Will do some more testing tomorrow night with iron man.

Is it a big improvement, a BIG improvement, or a noticeable one?
prepress is offline  
post #727 of 1228 Old 08-10-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Is it a big improvement, a BIG improvement, or a noticeable one?

For blu ray its a noticeable improvement. I cannot comment on SD,3D or games as I dont have them in my HT room. For its price its not bad if it was $500 I would really have to think about it but if it was more than that I would say NO. I couldn't argue ( though I did hold off for a bit in the beginning ) at $300AU landed for the job it does.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is offline  
post #728 of 1228 Old 08-10-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Hey Frank, I don't know if you know this answer or not. Can that Darbee Darblet be connected to any kind of video device? Like a plasma TV? I am not thinking about. My picture already looks great and on my small screen I am sure differences would be hard to see. I was just wondering that's all.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #729 of 1228 Old 08-10-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Hey Frank, I don't know if you know this answer or not. Can that Darbee Darblet be connected to any kind of video device? Like a plasma TV? I am not thinking about. My picture already looks great and on my small screen I am sure differences would be hard to see. I was just wondering that's all.

Definitely Mike. I think you will get the noticeable difference on blu ray also.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is offline  
post #730 of 1228 Old 08-10-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi Mike, I'll let you know first thing next week. I have one on the way and I will be hooking it up to a Sharp 70" display.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is online now  
post #731 of 1228 Old 08-10-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Hi Mike, I'll let you know first thing next week. I have one on the way and I will be hooking it up to a Sharp 70" display.
Sounds good. Only even you have a bigger TV then I do. I only have a 42" redface.gif. I just wonder if it would make a difference for me.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #732 of 1228 Old 08-10-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I could always throw it on my master bedroom 32" 720P LCD to see what it does.

BTW Hi Frank, sorry to hijack your thread.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is online now  
post #733 of 1228 Old 08-10-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

I could always throw it on my master bedroom 32" 720P LCD to see what it does.
BTW Hi Frank, sorry to hijack your thread.
Now that would be interesting. Yea, I am sorry also for taking over this thread.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #734 of 1228 Old 08-10-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
That's okay smile.gif

_________________________

Frank
Franin is offline  
post #735 of 1228 Old 08-11-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Watched the godfather last night. The Darbee really did its job well but by saying that there were some scenes with noise/grain( whatever you want to call it) where that was enchanced. I dropped it down to 45% where i found a happy medium.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is offline  
post #736 of 1228 Old 08-11-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I hope there turns out to be a middle ground somewhere that works for most movies. I would think having to adjust it many time would become a pain after awhile. Still glad though it seems to be doing its job. Looking forward to more reports.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #737 of 1228 Old 08-11-2012, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

I hope there turns out to be a middle ground somewhere that works for most movies. I would think having to adjust it many time would become a pain after awhile. Still glad though it seems to be doing its job. Looking forward to more reports.

Hi Mike I think 45% will be the perfect happy meduim for me. I agree though last thing I want to be doing is be adjusting while I watch a movie but seeing the Godfather there shouldn't be no more problems.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is offline  
post #738 of 1228 Old 08-12-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I wrote an email to stewart screen because I was looking into getting into masking for my stewart screen. Now the money is in the screen itself not the frame but what i wanted to is buy the vistascope frame which included the motorised masking without the screen so i can use mine. Im hoping that can be done as im not going to buy another screen. The reason why i prefer to go with stewart for the masking is that each screen has a serial that identifies the size and measurements of the screen ( ive been told ) so it would be easier for them to make it to my spec.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is offline  
post #739 of 1228 Old 08-12-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 7,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I wrote an email to stewart screen because I was looking into getting into masking for my stewart screen. Now the money is in the screen itself not the frame but what i wanted to is buy the vistascope frame which included the motorised masking without the screen so i can use mine. Im hoping that can be done as im not going to buy another screen. The reason why i prefer to go with stewart for the masking is that each screen has a serial that identifies the size and measurements of the screen ( ive been told ) so it would be easier for them to make it to my spec.

That sounds pretty big shooter. I thought when we last talked about masking you expressed no interest. What's changed? The Darblet that good it's making you change other pieces now?

__________________________________________

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Waboman is online now  
post #740 of 1228 Old 08-12-2012, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

That sounds pretty big shooter. I thought when we last talked about masking you expressed no interest. What's changed? The Darblet that good it's making you change other pieces now?

Its always been in the back of my mind but I dont think what Im asking can be done.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is offline  
post #741 of 1228 Old 08-12-2012, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 3,510
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

I hope there turns out to be a middle ground somewhere that works for most movies. I would think having to adjust it many time would become a pain after awhile. Still glad though it seems to be doing its job. Looking forward to more reports.

To each his own. Every room/screen/projector/ambient lighting condition and personal preference are different. While one may prefer 40%, another may prefer 65%. I have been living with it at this level for some time and it seems to work quite well. If it is adding artifacts, they are certainly not prominent nor bothersome (I do not see them). And I have no interest in ever changing the setting once I find an acceptable one. That sounds way too much like changing the tracking angle on every LP!!

But, to each his own.
audioguy is offline  
post #742 of 1228 Old 08-13-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

To each his own. Every room/screen/projector/ambient lighting condition and personal preference are different. While one may prefer 40%, another may prefer 65%. I have been living with it at this level for some time and it seems to work quite well. If it is adding artifacts, they are certainly not prominent nor bothersome (I do not see them). And I have no interest in ever changing the setting once I find an acceptable one. That sounds way too much like changing the tracking angle on every LP!!
But, to each his own.
I think we are saying the same thing. That was my point. I hope there is a setting where for each person who has this that works for them without constantly changing it, I did NOT mean that I was hoping there would be universal setting that would work for every one no matter, projector, screen or room. I just meant that I hope each person can find a setting that works for them as opposed to having to set it for 55% one movie then 69% another movie that 35% another movie. That's all.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #743 of 1228 Old 08-13-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

I think we are saying the same thing. That was my point. I hope there is a setting where for each person who has this that works for them without constantly changing it, I did NOT mean that I was hoping there would be universal setting that would work for every one no matter, projector, screen or room. I just meant that I hope each person can find a setting that works for them as opposed to having to set it for 55% one movie then 69% another movie that 35% another movie. That's all.

I understood what you meant Mike smile.gif

_________________________

Frank
Franin is offline  
post #744 of 1228 Old 08-13-2012, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Got my microphone holder from Audyssey today, Luke did a fantastic job getting the product to me. A+ service.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is offline  
post #745 of 1228 Old 08-13-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I understood what you meant Mike smile.gif
Cool. It seems like an affordable way to really improve you video.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #746 of 1228 Old 08-13-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
The jvc rs 45/x30 is quite cheap compared what we have to pay here. Were paying close to double. mad.gif

_________________________

Frank
Franin is offline  
post #747 of 1228 Old 08-13-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 7,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

The jvc rs 45/x30 is quite cheap compared what we have to pay here. Were paying close to double. mad.gif

That's because the delivery guys have to get past great whites, red back spiders, box jellyfish and who knows what other venomous critters to deliver your hifi gear.tongue.gif

__________________________________________

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Waboman is online now  
post #748 of 1228 Old 08-13-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,049
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

That's because the delivery guys have to get past great whites, red back spiders, box jellyfish and who knows what other venomous critters to deliver your hifi gear.tongue.gif

LOL! biggrin.gif Indeed, the Discovery Channel has us stateside believing that Australia is one giant adventure. I still think it is 8-) I mean....Kangaroos!!!

My lady and I actually plan on Visiting Sydney in a few years. It looks like an absolutely marvelous place...those beaches...those beaches.....need Frank's four F112's to make the sand jump!
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #749 of 1228 Old 08-13-2012, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

That's because the delivery guys have to get past great whites, red back spiders, box jellyfish and who knows what other venomous critters to deliver your hifi gear.tongue.gif

biggrin.gif apart from the great whites and jellyfish they rest are not bad. Though the red backs love our summer just dont walk into one or you will now about it.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is offline  
post #750 of 1228 Old 08-13-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

LOL! biggrin.gif Indeed, the Discovery Channel has us stateside believing that Australia is one giant adventure. I still think it is 8-) I mean....Kangaroos!!!
My lady and I actually plan on Visiting Sydney in a few years. It looks like an absolutely marvelous place...those beaches...those beaches.....need Frank's four F112's to make the sand jump!

Sydney is a lovely place Matt. The beaches are nice too. I'm on the other side of the country where the beaches are nice but the water is know becoming dangerous. I have never seen this much shark activity in my life. Kangaroos where we live usually are up north from us ( not familiar where there located on the other side of the country ) but you have to becareful at times because if you drive they sometimes jump out in front if you causing major damage to your car and you. My cousin was lucky many years ago that the car was just damaged.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is offline  
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off