Franin HT - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1081 of 1228 Old 03-31-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Happy Easter, Franin.
prepress is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1082 of 1228 Old 03-31-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Thanks Charles Happy Easter

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #1083 of 1228 Old 04-01-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 270
G'day, Franin.

How're things down under? Any new upgrades to that awesome HT of yours?

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is online now  
post #1084 of 1228 Old 04-03-2013, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 177
HI I would like to make a mention for the beginners who are still deciding wether to have a go themselves in calibrating there display how impressed Ive been with Calman 5. As a beginner myself who has no idea in calibrating manually SpectralCal Calman 5 has changed that( I kid you not). I initially bought it to try out the autocal feature but I didn't realise how easy it was as it provided you with help every step of the way in there workflow. I used a DVDO DUO to calibrate with my JVC RS60U and controlling it via PC was easy using DDC(Direct Display Control) making easy to use to without the need of a remote. I did both workflows basic and advance and I couldn't be more happier with the results. I sent the workflow to Spectralcal as they said I was definitely on the right track (all the DeltasEs was under 3). The result on screen was fantastic.
Im know looking at upgrading my Duo to a Lumagen. smile.gif

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #1085 of 1228 Old 04-04-2013, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

HI I would like to make a mention for the beginners who are still deciding wether to have a go themselves in calibrating there display how impressed Ive been with Calman 5. As a beginner myself who has no idea in calibrating manually SpectralCal Calman 5 has changed that( I kid you not). I initially bought it to try out the autocal feature but I didn't realise how easy it was as it provided you with help every step of the way in there workflow. I used a DVDO DUO to calibrate with my JVC RS60U and controlling it via PC was easy using DDC(Direct Display Control) making easy to use to without the need of a remote. I did both workflows basic and advance and I couldn't be more happier with the results. I sent the workflow to Spectralcal as they said I was definitely on the right track (all the DeltasEs was under 3). The result on screen was fantastic.
Im know looking at upgrading my Duo to a Lumagen. smile.gif

Which Lumagen? I understand the learning curve on them is steeper than with the Duo, but they do offer some improved performance.
prepress is offline  
post #1086 of 1228 Old 04-04-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Which Lumagen? I understand the learning curve on them is steeper than with the Duo, but they do offer some improved performance.

Actually I was told to wait because a 4K could be on the way. Dont get me wrong the DVDO is great but ever since I began video calibrating its got me curious to see if there is a big difference between a 11 point calibration vs a 21 point. Im hoping DVDO brings out a new VP or does more upgrades. They don't answer their emails which is a worry.

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #1087 of 1228 Old 04-04-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,152
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Good stuff Frank. I am glad all of this home calibration stuff is working out for you. Although I freely admit that you video setup seems quite complicated with the processor(s) you run and all your DVD players(if you still have them all). You are a better man then me when it comes to understanding video and setup stuff redface.gif.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

MIkeDuke is online now  
post #1088 of 1228 Old 04-04-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Good stuff Frank. I am glad all of this home calibration stuff is working out for you. Although I freely admit that you video setup seems quite complicated with the processor(s) you run and all your DVD players(if you still have them all). You are a better man then me when it comes to understanding video and setup stuff redface.gif.

Yeah I still have them all. In a way its okay as the old players like the Denon transports have no issue with audio dropouts in some recent movies that came out. My oppos did as well as my samsung but the Denons being that they haven't had an update for a number of years played them perfectly. Mate I was actually amazed that I learnt it on my own, usually Id be hiring calibrators to do the work and they would never explain much as it was a business for them which I totally understand but at $650 every time my wallet was hurtin. Spectracal calman 5 software was very helpful.

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #1089 of 1228 Old 05-03-2013, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Hi all
My wife ended up wanting the other couches back for the Lounge Room, I thought it was a good idea. Anyhow I went shopping and we bought a new lounge ( Last one actually) a 3 seater for front ( I sit in the middle ) and we used the black for 2 seaters on a riser.



Back of Room
Back of Room 2
Seats on a Riser

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #1090 of 1228 Old 05-03-2013, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Hi all
My wife ended up wanting the other couches back for the Lounge Room, I thought it was a good idea. Anyhow I went shopping and we bought a new lounge ( Last one actually) a 3 seater for front ( I sit in the middle ) and we used the black for 2 seaters on a riser.

Back of Room
Back of Room 2
Seats on a Riser

Hey buddy nice looking seats. Of course you sit in the middle one....that's a given. BTW how much did you pay for those very large HT equipment dusters that are on the back seats? tongue.gif

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #1091 of 1228 Old 05-03-2013, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Hey buddy nice looking seats. Of course you sit in the middle one....that's a given. BTW how much did you pay for those very large HT equipment dusters that are on the back seats? tongue.gif

Lol thanks HTG that's my wife input to my Home Theatre. I wanted plain cushions she wanted those I couldn't argue with the Mrs

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #1092 of 1228 Old 05-03-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Lol thanks HTG that's my wife input to my Home Theatre. I wanted plain cushions she wanted those I couldn't argue with the Mrs

Not if you want to continue spending money on this hobby. biggrin.gif

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #1093 of 1228 Old 05-03-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 2,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Frank, that new HT seating is extremely nice looking. I think those pillows help bridge the color difference between the front and rear rows. Very nicely done by you and Mrs. I wonder I they make biometric buttock-sensors to reject all persons (with a gentle electric shock) from sitting in the mighty center chair except for you. I smell an invention!
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #1094 of 1228 Old 05-03-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Not if you want to continue spending money on this hobby. biggrin.gif

I agree. smile.gif

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #1095 of 1228 Old 05-03-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Frank, that new HT seating is extremely nice looking. I think those pillows help bridge the color difference between the front and rear rows. Very nicely done by you and Mrs. I wonder I they make biometric buttock-sensors to reject all persons (with a gentle electric shock) from sitting in the mighty center chair except for you. I smell an invention!

Thanks Matt.

That was more the wife's idea to actually add the risers and the two chairs behind. Too be honest I was actually quite happy with just the three chairs since Im in there 98.5% on my own ( watch when kids go to sleep ), due to that I focused the Audyssey more towards my seating pos.

I like the idea of a biometric buttock sensor, the electric shock should come with a variable adjustment. biggrin.gif

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #1096 of 1228 Old 05-03-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I'm digging the new furniture. Adds a nice splash of color to your HT.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is online now  
post #1097 of 1228 Old 05-03-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I'm digging the new furniture. Adds a nice splash of color to your HT.

Thanks mate smile.gif

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #1098 of 1228 Old 05-04-2013, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Lol thanks HTG that's my wife input to my Home Theatre. I wanted plain cushions she wanted those I couldn't argue with the Mrs

Are they bought or made?
prepress is offline  
post #1099 of 1228 Old 05-04-2013, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Are they bought or made?

Bought wife chose them. They don't look that bad

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #1100 of 1228 Old 05-04-2013, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Bought wife chose them. They don't look that bad

Well, they do seem to match the front seats color-wise, so the difference isn't as stark. But, why no cushions for the front seats? Just curious. Those same cushions didn't come in black, did they?
prepress is offline  
post #1101 of 1228 Old 05-04-2013, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi again Frank, I hope I came across as just trying to make you laugh. The cushions do add a nice splash of color to the room. They will come in handy when you need to hide behind them when you watch horror movies. smile.gif

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #1102 of 1228 Old 05-04-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Well, they do seem to match the front seats color-wise, so the difference isn't as stark. But, why no cushions for the front seats? Just curious. Those same cushions didn't come in black, did they?

Well I'd prefer no cushions on the main seats.

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #1103 of 1228 Old 05-04-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Hi again Frank, I hope I came across as just trying to make you laugh. The cushions do add a nice splash of color to the room. They will come in handy when you need to hide behind them when you watch horror movies. smile.gif
All good it did make me laugh smile.gif

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #1104 of 1228 Old 05-04-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 2,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post



Well I'd prefer no cushions on the main seats.

I've tried cushions on my front (and only) row of theater seats and they just don't work well! Good move skipping the cushions up front. I found that people (myself included) ended up tossing them on the floor, since nobody wants pillows on their laps during a movie.
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #1105 of 1228 Old 05-04-2013, 11:01 AM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Those cushions are gnarly they would prevent any one to sit on these chairs, great as dusters to I bet! smile.gif Very new chairs
wse is offline  
post #1106 of 1228 Old 05-04-2013, 11:02 AM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I decided to buy spectral cal CALMAN 5 today. I'm looking forward in comparing Chromapure and Calman 5.

Are you a pro calibrator?
wse is offline  
post #1107 of 1228 Old 05-04-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Are you a pro calibrator?

Well I have leant how to use it, I guess you spend more time doing a better job on your own system. Once you get a better understanding you realise how much you get ripped by your calibrator, but then again they don't put that much effort in your system, I know mine didn't. But saying that I'm sure there are good ones that do. I wouldn't be labelled as a pro calibrator.
If you ever looking at calibrating calman 5 taught me how to do it. It's very easy smile.gif

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #1108 of 1228 Old 05-04-2013, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Those cushions are gnarly they would prevent any one to sit on these chairs, great as dusters to I bet! smile.gif Very new chairs

Oh well keeps the mrs happy smile.gif

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #1109 of 1228 Old 05-04-2013, 06:00 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Well I have leant how to use it, I guess you spend more time doing a better job on your own system. Once you get a better understanding you realise how much you get ripped by your calibrator, but then again they don't put that much effort in your system, I know mine didn't. But saying that I'm sure there are good ones that do. I wouldn't be labelled as a pro calibrator. If you ever looking at calibrating calman 5 taught me how to do it. It's very easy smile.gif

I hear you, I want to learn and do it myself the calibrator I used sucked and it cost me $500 frown.gif I was ripped off once too many:(

Was it hard to learn? Do they have idiot proof walk through? I am worried to screw up every thing then where do I go! It also gets me to have to recall rate the projector every time!
wse is offline  
post #1110 of 1228 Old 05-04-2013, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I hear you, I want to learn and do it myself the calibrator I used sucked and it cost me $500 frown.gif I was ripped off once too many:(

Was it hard to learn? Do they have idiot proof walk through? I am worried to screw up every thing then where do I go! It also gets me to have to recall rate the projector every time!

If I can do it, anyone can. They have what they call workflows. What you do is start with the basic tutorial and it guides you throughout . Then you go too advance tutorial it does the same. It will be hands on while you do each step at a time so you will be changing settings on your projector / video processor.

(The beauty about Calman 5 it has an Autocal feature which for each step you press that and it does the majority of the work for you, all you do is tweak. Personally its good if you go without it and achieve you settings at first because its good to understand the manual way, bit more work on your part but once you got a good understanding of it ( its not that hard ) you will be very pleased with yourself.
Write up a little guide for yourself that you can understand so next time when doing another calibration you forget anything important. But once you have the hang of it you will be doing it more than once smile.gif )

Once you got the idea how it works ( I kid you not its very easy ) then you can start on the Ht Advance workflow. It's the same but without tutorial. It stills shows the targets to reach, very simple. The trick is though you have sometimes you have to go back and forth checking your results. Depends how perfect you want it, because its your own you can spend the time achieving that.

Plus if you do get stuck the guys on calman 5 thread will be able to help as my self (depending on time). They're actually quiet helpful.

Btw what projector/ video processor you have?

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off