First-Time Home Theater Purchase (TV+Blu-Ray+Sound System) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2009, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I just closed on my home a week ago and I am trying to purchase some equipment and need some advice. I am pretty much set on the TV/mounting piece; however, I am open to suggestions as I am not sure overall. The reviews have been great on these two products.

I have already picked out the TV: Samsung 55" LED TV: UN55B8000

I like the size of this TV and plan on mounting it with this: Samsung Slim Wall Mount: WMN1000B

For the Blu-Ray player, I went with the: Samsung BD-P3600. The reason for this pick is due to the seamless WiFi capabilities, which I prefer. Is there a better player than this that you would recommend?

For the home theater system, I chose this based solely on various reviews: Sony HTSS360 5.1 channel

I have areas pre-wired for wall mounting; which is why I didn't want speakers on the floor. I would rather have a very clean look and sacrifice some audio quality.

The total price from Amazon.com comes to $3565.72.

Please let me know what you think. I plan on purchasing very quickly. I appreciate all the help in advance, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeM3 View Post

Hello,

I have areas pre-wired for wall mounting; which is why I didn't want speakers on the floor. I would rather have a very clean look and sacrifice some audio quality.

Please let me know what you think. I plan on purchasing very quickly. I appreciate all the help in advance, thank you!

You do not have to sacrifice too much sound quality if you go with wall mounted speakers. Look at Monitor Audio Radius series, these are excellent speakers:
http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picture...s_closeout.htm

or at other options... I don't know your allowance for your ht, but for a few hundred dollars you can get better sound overall.

Again, this all depends on your budget. If you can spend a little more I'd go separates vs htib.

I do like the Tv option.

Cheers
Old 09-09-2009, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

You do not have to sacrifice too much sound quality if you go with wall mounted speakers. Look at Monitor Audio Radius series, these are excellent speakers:
http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picture...s_closeout.htm

or at other options... I don't know your allowance for your ht, but for a few hundred dollars you can get better sound overall.

Again, this all depends on your budget. If you can spend a little more I'd go separates vs htib.

I do like the Tv option.

Cheers

Thank you for the advice. I am looking at those speakers right now. In terms of budget, I think my cap would be around $5k.

Do you also have any recommendations for the Blu-Ray player?

Thanks again,

Vee
Old 09-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The only thing I can think of is that if you are buying a $3K TV, you are going to want better sound than you are going to get out of a $250 home theater in a box. I am not saying that you need to spend a ton of money, but you probably want a receiver at a minimum and some decent speakers. You can get some really nice ones that are small, look nice and will blow that system away. Look at something like Paradigm Atoms. They are similar in size, sound great and cost about $300 a pair. You can get a 5.1 system with a decent subwoofer for around $1K and then spend $300 on a receiver. You will have a system that will be worthy of that nice TV.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeM3 View Post

Thank you for the advice. I am looking at those speakers right now. In terms of budget, I think my cap would be around $5k.

Do you also have any recommendations for the Blu-Ray player?

Thanks again,

Vee

oppo 83, definitely!