Yamaha RX-V663
Adcom GFA545II
2 Sonance Sonamp 260MKIIs
Sonance Sonamp 260x3 MKII
Sonance Sonamp MKII rackmount
Slim PS3 with 500GB HDD
Xbox 360 Arcade with 20GB HDD
Modified Sony SS-F7000 towers
Modified Sony SS-B1000 bookshelves (now upstairs in bedroom)
3 Pair Modified Sony SS-MB 350H bookshelves
2 Modified Sony SS-CN5000P centers
Sony SS-WM500 sub
DCM sub 710ii sub now dedicated to midbass only
Frankenstein sub
Yamaha YST-SW216 sub with new insides and a dayton 10 inch quattro driver
MSI GT725-212US laptop with 128gb ssd drive
Tripath T-Amp (for in the bedroom)
22 inch 1080 AOC monitor (in bedroom for use with second Slim PS3)
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 10-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
wow... you are definitely a one brand kind of guy... looks great... good dedication to putting it all together over an extended period of time...
post #3 of 54 Old 10-17-2009, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, i couldnt afford much more than the sony speakers. remember im a bagger at krogers and have a kid! and they sounded good at first. but i took em all apart and lined the insides with acoustic foam, added real crossovers (instead of little caps on the wiring inside) and re wired them with 12 gauge cable. they sound much better now. but the soundstage from the receiver i have now is small and wont push a full signal to them like they can really handle. so i bought a Yamaha RX_V663 to help this problem. and manage my mess of cables and support the new audio codecs. i cant wait to start adding individual amps to the pre outs on it either
post #4 of 54 Old 10-18-2009, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Hello kustus,

My friend has a couple of older Sony speakers, and while they are big and have that 70s look they sound really, really good!

I think you've done great so far! The system already looks clean. Keep the pictures coming as you add more gear. Props to you for taking them speakers apart and modding them!!

Hopefully the Yamaha is going to open them up quite a bit. The fun begins once you start adding individual amps...
post #5 of 54 Old 10-18-2009, 08:42 AM

Hey,nice setup!. I use "to" own some sony speakers,but i didn't like the sound from them.
post #6 of 54 Old 10-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustus View Post

thanks, i couldnt afford much more than the sony speakers. remember im a bagger at krogers and have a kid! and they sounded good at first. but i took em all apart and lined the insides with acoustic foam, added real crossovers (instead of little caps on the wiring inside) and re wired them with 12 gauge cable. they sound much better now. but the soundstage from the receiver i have now is small and wont push a full signal to them like they can really handle. so i bought a Yamaha RX_V663 to help this problem. and manage my mess of cables and support the new audio codecs. i cant wait to start adding individual amps to the pre outs on it either

i didnt mean for it to sound like that.. it was meant as a complement you are obviously talented to take what you can afford and make it sound better.. i have two floor stander sony speakers from the late 90's that i use as surround left and right speakers.. they work great considering the small amount of sound coming from the rear speakers anyway..

again props to you for creating something nice out of what you can afford.. you will be successful in your life if you continue that mindset!!
post #7 of 54 Old 10-18-2009, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

lol im sure you didnt mean it like that, but thanks again. im used to getting a bum rap for having them though, so i defend them because ive spent so much time on everything. it was only until i made friends with a guy that used to work at genesis audio that the guys at the store backed off me. he came over and said that with the modifications i made they sounded similar to revel loudspeakers with nice imaging and pretty natural sound only lacking bass. but thats a receiver problem. (they run perfect with my dads old adcom amp). he said i had nice stuff especially for a beginner. i would love to have a processor and individual mono blocks for everything and run tad reference 1's all around with some two jl audio gotham subs and tributaries wire with a qualia sxrd front projector but hey a guy can dream right?
post #8 of 54 Old 10-18-2009, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Nice set-up there! Go Sony! Hey, if it sounds good to you, then that's what it's all about. No doubt it rocks nicely.
post #9 of 54 Old 10-19-2009, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

thanks again everyone. my yammie should be in today or tomorrow, im very excited to hook it up and experiment
post #10 of 54 Old 10-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Looking good.
You're doing better than I was at 18. Those rear and side speakers look SO big oin your walls. I've embedded your pics for easier viewing:

post #11 of 54 Old 10-19-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

well thank you very much for embedding them for me. and the rear speakers are sorta big on my wall. they do have 8 inch drivers in them lol and i think the size on em are around 9in wide by 20in tall by 9in deep. so they are large for wall mounting. i used smarter speaker mounts from parts-express to hold em up. and 3 inch drywall screws to secure them into the studs. they wont budge. and remember im in an 11x12 bedroom, so everything looks big...the room's small
post #12 of 54 Old 10-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

did you say you had two subwoofers in that set up somewhere?.. the more i look the more i like your setup... i like the big speakers on the wall.. my polk audios are about that big, and i was thinking about putting them on the wall as well...
post #13 of 54 Old 10-19-2009, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

yes i have two subs in here, ill take a picture of the DCM sub once i get my yamaha installed and clean up a bit. its nice for a freebie. thanks everyone for the positive feedback
post #14 of 54 Old 11-06-2009, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

new setup, scratch the cd and dvd changer and the old sony receiver. add a yamaha RX-V663 and an onkyo M-282 power amp and a center stand. pics are on the way tonight
post #15 of 54 Old 11-06-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes i have two subs in here, ill take a picture of the DCM sub once i get my yamaha installed and clean up a bit. its nice for a freebie. thanks everyone for the positive feedback

Hey I have OR had to DCM powered subs I bought back about in 94. I think I got them at Circuit City. They were like 400$ each "i think"

They did "ok" but I was never happy with them. They would always bottom out or something?? They just never hit hard enough or loud enough. I wished quickly that I didnt sell my Cerwin Vega AT-12s "which I absolutely loved"..

I have rebuilt both my DCM boxes and put a 12 memphis audio mojo in each. They hit way deeper and sound better now. I need bigger plate amps as the 150wt ones are not enough..lol. I need a couple 500wt plate amps for them.

Anyways, just wanted to let you know there are more DCM owners out there.. Your setup looks good man. Keep up the good work.
post #16 of 54 Old 11-06-2009, 12:41 PM

The Sony speakers have some pretty good reviews on Amazon. I am cheap and almost bought them instead of my Boston Acoustics. I ended up getting a deal on the Bostons that I could not pass up.
post #17 of 54 Old 11-07-2009, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, im late on the photos, but i have some new ones. i have my El Cheapo Chico center stand build and in use. its not painted yet, but will be soon.

i have the new Onkyo M-282 power amp driving my mains

i took pictures of the ports on my towers to show the foam i put in them, along with pics of the backs of my bookshelves to show their modded binding posts and ports on the 350H's.

took pics of the small but mighty DCM sub i have... and plan on modifying with two tangband 6 1/2 neo subwoofers

and thats about if for now guys, im outta money i can spend freely for a while lol but cant shake the upgrade bug.

also, if anyone could embed the photos for me, it would be great. thanks everyone. im glad to be here on AVS and have my stuff up with the other nice setups
LL
LL
LL
post #18 of 54 Old 11-07-2009, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

more pics of stuff
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #19 of 54 Old 03-24-2010, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

more stuff is coming soon, moving to the basement and will show it off asap. new equipment is edited above
post #20 of 54 Old 03-25-2010, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Looking good man. I really like your setup. Can't wait to see it in the basement. Keep up the great work!!!
post #21 of 54 Old 03-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Good stuff! Looking forward to the basement pics as well.
post #22 of 54 Old 03-25-2010, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, its going really slow lately. hours are cut at work, and im working maybe 15-18 hours a week right now. which is roughly 175 bucks a week. and so far i bought all the drywall and 2x4s to frame it up, but i have been skipping lunches and jogging everywhere instead of spending money on food and gas to save revenue to put into it without compromising on bills and baby supplies. once i get my income tax return, maybe more upgrades will fall into place. but as of right now the individual amps, while small, are improvement enough to say the internal receiver amp is never going to be enough if i had to go back. they are that good, sound is louder, clearer, more defined, natural, more everything! thanks again guys
post #23 of 54 Old 03-25-2010, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Hang in there dude. Work will speed up again soon hopefully and you'll get back on track. Looking forward to your finished project.
post #24 of 54 Old 03-26-2010, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 39
post #25 of 54 Old 03-26-2010, 07:35 AM

Hey bud,

I agree with saving money to buy stuff (instead of financing it through a store or on a credit card), but make sure that your priorities are in order as far as your kid goes. Home theater stuff is fun, but children are way more important. Don't forget to save some money up in case your hours are cut completely (i.e., use your tax refund as the basis for an "emergency fund" instead of home theater toys).

I'm done preaching...just looking out for ya!
post #26 of 54 Old 03-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey, im late on the photos, but i have some new ones. i have my El Cheapo Chico center stand build and in use. its not painted yet, but will be soon.

i have the new Onkyo M-282 power amp driving my mains

i took pictures of the ports on my towers to show the foam i put in them, along with pics of the backs of my bookshelves to show their modded binding posts and ports on the 350H's.

took pics of the small but mighty DCM sub i have... and plan on modifying with two tangband 6 1/2 neo subwoofers

and thats about if for now guys, im outta money i can spend freely for a while lol but cant shake the upgrade bug.

also, if anyone could embed the photos for me, it would be great. thanks everyone. im glad to be here on AVS and have my stuff up with the other nice setups

Here you go:

post #27 of 54 Old 03-26-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Megadeth View Post

Hey bud,

I agree with saving money to buy stuff (instead of financing it through a store or on a credit card), but make sure that your priorities are in order as far as your kid goes. Home theater stuff is fun, but children are way more important. Don't forget to save some money up in case your hours are cut completely (i.e., use your tax refund as the basis for an "emergency fund" instead of home theater toys).

I'm done preaching...just looking out for ya!

I reread your mention of "not compromising on baby supplies," so glad to see you're on the right track.

Great setup, if I haven't already mentioned it!
post #28 of 54 Old 03-26-2010, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

yeah, im with you on the priority list, i have 650 or so saved up for just in case money...and thats all it is! plus since i live with my parents still, we wouldnt be without. but thanks for everyones support

and thanks Gelinas for embedding those picks for me
post #29 of 54 Old 04-13-2010, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

got my "new" sonamp in the other day. i got it on ebay for 20 bucks 40 if you wanna include shipping. TX to OH. so it was a good deal....well it seemed like a good deal. the picture and info from the buyer showed a like new MKII model that was not rack mountable. well needless to say it arrived 3 days later and it was a scratched up (mostly on top) with a BOSE vinyl sticker on the front covering a scratch on the front that wasnt that bad. i was kinda ticked, but hey even then it worked like new just like the others i have. but anyways i let him neutral feedback saying that item received was not on par with item shown and was slightly disappointed. a day later he sent me an email back calling me a dick and an ass for being ungrateful of the item i got for only 20 bucks? people are getting crazy lol. anyways if there is someone around columbus that would rather have a rackmount 260 instead of a regular one im game for trade. id prefer a regular one. oh, and just for the record that hideous BOSE sticker made the amp sound bad. once i removed it, it sounded better. so even just the name on your equipment can ruin it!!!
post #30 of 54 Old 05-04-2010, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

i decided that my little center channel didnt quite mesh with the rest of the speakers. it didnt sound bad, but it couldnt quite keep up with the fuller sound coming from the surrounds i have or with the fronts. so i looked on craigslist for some SS-B3000 bookshelves tho use as a center for cheap. if i got em new they would be 100 buck plus whatever shipping came out to be. but as it turns out some guy needed to pay some bills and was getting rid of his sony speakers for 150 bucks. i got a pair of 350Hs (same as my rears) another center channel like the one i had, a pair if F5000s to toy around with and also a pair of MB-150Hs (like the ones on my towers but yellow) so i went for it hoping they were in good condition, and they are! so im gonna change my stand once in the basement to hold the pair of new 350s i got and use em as a center. the basement is almost there guys! ill have pics up after its painted and the carpet is in. the just in case fund is up to 1500 bucks, so im not blowing it all away, im sticking to the budget as much as i can. i also get to upgrade the 350s in the meantime, so ill be busy still. thanks for looking everyone. ill try and post some pics of the incomplete basement for those who are curious about it.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Vizio 42 Inch Class Plasma Hdtv Vp422hdtv10a , Yamaha Rx V663 Receiver , Adcom , Sony Ss F7000 Left Right Channel Speakers Ssf7000 , Sony Ss B1000 5 1 4 Inch Bookshelf Speakers Pair , Sony Ss Mb350h Bookshelf Speakers
Gear in this thread - B1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page