Our Theater (Third and Final one) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Wow, I would be honored to have you come by. While my system does not even come close to the caliber of your system, it would be nice to get your opinion of it. What is your schedule after Christmas? I am off the week after Christmas. How about Monday the 28th or Tuesday the 29th? We can make a day of it. You can come over late morning around 11:00 AM, do some demos, have lunch, then I would want to follow you back to your place so I could experience the 4 SubMs in their full glory. Really any weekend from now until Christmas is a possiblity too. Your call. Let me know.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2009, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey bud I want to wish you and your new wife a Very Merry Christmas.

Are those Submersives broken in yet especially after watching Terminator Salvation?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
Old 05-16-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Wow!! Incredible setup! Awesome Job!
Old 05-16-2010, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll trade you for your speakers and for my hsu 3.1 speakers.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:37 PM

Very very cool!
Old 06-07-2010, 11:12 PM

Hi,

It is really a great collection and the excellent home theater. There it seems the most addictive to the movies. I have found only the bigger organizations only possess such collections. Great job man!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 311
My system has had a lot of changes since my last post. Front speakers are now Seaton Catalysts (LCR) and I will be installing next week 4 Seaton Sparks for side and rear surrounds. I will be installing a new PJ tomorrow (JVC RS55) to replace my 5 year old JVC RS2.

I have added a different music server (The Music Vault) which, amazingly enough presented the best 2 channel musical presentation I have ever heard. We even blind compared it to the 4 piece dCS stack ($77,000) and it was better.

My bride bought me new theater chairs to replace my trusty and comfortable Acoustic Innovation seating that I had for about 10 or 15 years. I have also changed the front ceiling to eliminate and vertically based null.

As an aside, when my wife and I met, I had 4 columns of equipment. It will soon be down to one !!

And I am in the process of selling all of my analog gear (REALLY tough decision). With about 1100 CD's (400 of which I have never heard) plus new purchases plus about 500 movies, I simply do not have enough time to listen to it all. AND, that is how I am financing the new PJ, speakers and setting up a fund for eventually buying a high end SSP once one is available that will do room correction better than my trusty Integra 80.2.

Most audiophiles are addicted and I am no different. One of the characteristics of all addicts is to blame someone else for their problems. I would like to nominate CraigJohn. I purchased some new wall mount speaker brackets and the only speaker that would fit were the Seaton Sparks so that is his fault. Furthermore, he has implemented wides in his system and raved about how wonderful it was. I needed more speakers to give it a try eventually, so the fact that I even purchased more speakers is also his fault. And in addtion, he introduced me to listen to stereo in non-two channel listening modes which FORCED me to get compatible speakers all of the way around. I feel better already

Just kidding. I am quite anxious to some day get to his part of the country (when there is no white stuff on the ground) and hear/see his system.

I will try to post some new photos once I figure out how to get a black and gray room to show up.

Current equipment list:

VIDEO EQUIPMENT:

JVC RS55 w/ Motorized Panamorph Anamorphic Lens
Screen Masking System by Somis Systems (one of a kind ! - he never built another one)
Stewart Filmscreen 2:35 120 x 51 inch screen

SPEAKERS:

LCR: Seaton Catalysts Powered Speakers on sand-filled Seaton Stands
SUBS: Seaton SubMersive HP (4);
Surrounds: Seaton Sparks (4) Powered Speakers

ELECTRONICS:

Integra 80.2 SSP
APS 1050 Power Conditioner (Front end and source equipment)
APS 2000 Power Conditioner (LCR speakers)
TacT 2.2XP with Aberdeen power supply ----------- This will probably be gone soon
Antelope Zodiac Gold Plus DAC --------------------- This will probably be gone soon

SOURCES:

Music Vault Music Server
Oppo BD83 Bluray Player
Direct TV DVR

ROOM STUFF:

Theater chairs by Berkline
RPG BAD Panels (both sides of screen)
RPG BAD ARC Panels (first reflection point)
Acoustic Panels by GIK
RPG Skylines
All four corners are bass traps and soffit around perimeter is as well

MISCELLANEOUS:

BlueJeans Speaker and Interconnect Cables
Control4 Equipment Controller
Old 01-11-2012, 04:21 PM

Liked: 14
You are a sick man...I like you!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Most audiophiles are addicted and I am no different. One of the characteristics of all addicts is to blame someone else for their problems. I would like to nominate CraigJohn.

Moi???? Whadid I do?

C'mon now... admit it... you were addicted LONG before you met me! Look in the paragraph above... 1,100 CD's, 400 of which you've never heard!!!

Quote:

I purchased some new wall mount speaker brackets and the only speaker that would fit were the Seaton Sparks so that is his fault. Furthermore, he has implemented wides in his system and raved about how wonderful it was. I needed more speakers to give it a try eventually, so the fact that I even purchased more speakers is also his fault. And in addtion, he introduced me to listen to stereo in non-two channel listening modes which FORCED me to get compatible speakers all of the way around. I feel better already

What??? I sell you some $50 speaker mounts and then you go spend thousands of $$$$ on speakers to put on them... and the speakers are my fault? Oh no. You ain't gettin; away with that! You have an addiction and you need treatment. I suggest you take 7 of these and call me in the morning:

Quote:

Just kidding. I am quite anxious to some day get to his part of the country (when there is no white stuff on the ground) and hear/see his system.

I will try to post some new photos once I figure out how to get a black and gray room to show up.

Current equipment list:

VIDEO EQUIPMENT:

JVC RS55 w/ Motorized Panamorph Anamorphic Lens
Screen Masking System by Somis Systems (one of a kind ! - he never built another one)
Stewart Filmscreen 2:35 120 x 51 inch screen

SPEAKERS:

LCR: Seaton Catalysts Powered Speakers on sand-filled Seaton Stands
SUBS: Seaton SubMersive HP (4);
Surrounds: Seaton Sparks (4) Powered Speakers

ELECTRONICS:

Integra 80.2 SSP
APS 1050 Power Conditioner (Front end and source equipment)
APS 2000 Power Conditioner (LCR speakers)
TacT 2.2XP with Aberdeen power supply ----------- This will probably be gone soon
Antelope Zodiac Gold Plus DAC --------------------- This will probably be gone soon

SOURCES:

Music Vault Music Server
Oppo BD83 Bluray Player
Direct TV DVR

ROOM STUFF:

Theater chairs by Berkline
RPG BAD Panels (both sides of screen)
RPG BAD ARC Panels (first reflection point)
Acoustic Panels by GIK
RPG Skylines
All four corners are bass traps and soffit around perimeter is as well

MISCELLANEOUS:

BlueJeans Speaker and Interconnect Cables
Control4 Equipment Controller

That's quite the equipment list! I can attest that it sounds even more impressive than the list of components. Thanks for updating your thread. Now quit slacking and get the pictures updated.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Old 01-11-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Moi???? Whadid I do?

C'mon now... admit it... you were addicted LONG before you met me! Look in the paragraph above... 1,100 CD's, 400 of which you've never heard!!!

What??? I sell you some $50 speaker mounts and then you go spend thousands of $$$$ on speakers to put on them... and the speakers are my fault? Oh no. You ain't gettin; away with that! You have an addiction and you need treatment. I suggest you take 7 of these and call me in the morning:

That's quite the equipment list! I can attest that it sounds even more impressive than the list of components. Thanks for updating your thread. Now quit slacking and get the pictures updated.

Craig

I told you he was a slacker. Nice equipment buddy. Now you ain't done till we see new pix so get you butt in gear and update your thread properly.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
Old 01-11-2012, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Craig -- where did you find that photo of that "speaker"?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

I googled "ugly speaker", then clicked on "Images". It was the ugliest of the bunch.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Old 01-12-2012, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just installed my RS55 to replace my RS2. First the good news: Way brighter than the RS2 and the color/dynamic range is really much better. BUT, the primary reason I did the upgrade was the incredible DLP like clarity that I saw at CEDIA. Unfortunately, that is not there (yet). I checked the focus and did a quick check and adjustment of the convergence but that did not really give me what I expected. I have tried various settings also. I'd be surprised if calibration fixes this and I wasn't planning on having it calibrated until I get close to 100 hours on it.

I am also having an issue on startup. When I first power the projector on, there is no red. I have to remove the HDMI cable (the same one that was on the RS2) and replug it and then the red come on!! I will order another HDMI cable and see if that fixes it but I don't think the cable is the issue.

I have yet to figure out how to find the eShift control to see if it is engaged but I am open to any ideas on either issue. I'm a bit bummed!

As Harry Pierson of TAS once said: "if it works right out of the box, it isn't High End"

I ordered the interconnect for my surrounds (which will be here on Monday, and I can run them through the smurf tubing and solder the one connector so the interconnects will be ready) and now have power where each will be located. I should get my Sparks either this coming Wednesday or Thursday. Since the mounts are installed, I should be up and running (it will take a bit longer to run Audyssey Pro now) sometime Thursday.

First movie: Probably Tron. I don't even know if I have a 7.1 movie but I suspect I do.

Tron at reference is quite amazing -- a major smile creator.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

From the RS-55 thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

FYI -

The service menu can probably be accessed the same way as for last year's models:

Press up, down, right, left, enter (press these buttons in this sequence and do it fairly fast). You may need to try several times to get the timing just right to bring up the service menu screen.

Perhaps e-Shift can be turned off there - for a direct comparison of the on vs. off image.

For reference, my RS-55 is both sharper AND smoother than my BenQ W10000, which was a VERY sharp DLP. I don't know why you're not seeing it.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

Old 01-19-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My 1.5 day project for installing my new Seaton Spark Surrounds took a mere FIVE days

Installing speaker mounts; getting power next to the speakers; running XLR interconnect through existing smurf tubing; soldering the other connection; mounting speakers; painting face plates; completed.

ANYTHING that could go wrong did. For example: (1) I ran the interconnect wire through the walls with the WRONG connector in the theater and did not realize it until all were done, and soldered at both ends. Multiple runs to Guitar Center (no where near my home) to get converters and extra pieces of interconnect; (2) my soldering abilities needed serious work – SERIOUS. What should have taken an hour or so, took ALL day!!!

Tomorrow I will run Audyssey Pro and see what I end up with.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

My 1.5 day project for installing my new Seaton Spark Surrounds took a mere FIVE days

Installing speaker mounts; getting power next to the speakers; running XLR interconnect through existing smurf tubing; soldering the other connection; mounting speakers; painting face plates; completed.

ANYTHING that could go wrong did. For example: (1) I ran the interconnect wire through the walls with the WRONG connector in the theater and did not realize it until all were done, and soldered at both ends. Multiple runs to Guitar Center (no where near my home) to get converters and extra pieces of interconnect; (2) my soldering abilities needed serious work - SERIOUS. What should have taken an hour or so, took ALL day!!!

Tomorrow I will run Audyssey Pro and see what I end up with.

Welcome to Murphy's Law! I'll be interested to see what you think of the new surrounds. Also, the new projector!

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

Old 01-20-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Fantastic setup Audio Guy. I can't wait to see the picks. And like you, I nominating Craig as an "influence" on me that I can push the blame onto. Don't forget Craig, it was you who "helped" me with treatments. It was you who "helped" me get the OPPO and and Integra 80.2. And it was you who convinced me to separate my racks. All of those were good things BTW. And I do shoulder some of the blame since I did follow your advice. Again, that is a great looking set of equipment you have audioguy and I look forward to the pics.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Old 01-20-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Fantastic setup Audio Guy. I can't wait to see the picks. And like you, I nominating Craig as an "influence" on me that I can push the blame onto. Don't forget Craig, it was you who "helped" me with treatments. It was you who "helped" me get the OPPO and and Integra 80.2. And it was you who convinced me to separate my racks. All of those were good things BTW. And I do shoulder some of the blame since I did follow your advice. Again, that is a great looking set of equipment you have audioguy and I look forward to the pics.

In the illegal drug world, there are pushers and users. Based upon what Craig did (with, for, to) you and me, it is apparent what category he falls into ;-)
Old 01-20-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually, Craig enlightened me on the value of listening to 2 channel music in surround. ----- way more fun (and realistic) than just using two speakers. While I have now invested many more thousands of dollars to get the best I can out of movies and music by upgrading my surrounds and adding two more, I am sure it will be worth the money and the (wasted) time.

My plan is to calibrate today and then try some music and movies. We are going to watch a movie tonight I have seen but my wife has not --- Hannah !!!
Old 01-20-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I go back and forth listening to music in strait 2ch and then listening to it in surround. I like it both ways to be honest. I do like watching concert videos a lot now. So if I read that right, you will have 6 surrounds once you add the two more? That is one bad ass system. Enjoy it .

My System
Old 01-20-2012, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

I go back and forth listening to music in strait 2ch and then listening to it in surround. I like it both ways to be honest. I do like watching concert videos a lot now. So if I read that right, you will have 6 surrounds once you add the two more? That is one bad ass system. Enjoy it .

I will be using four surrounds. I moved my older surrounds (Dunlavy) out of the room. I'm not ready to enter the heights/wides play ground yet. There seems to be a bit of disagreement over how good it really is! It would be an expensive experiment!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will be using four surrounds. I moved my older surrounds (Dunlavy) out of the room. I'm not ready to enter the heights/wides play ground yet. There seems to be a bit of disagreement over how good it really is! It would be an expensive experiment!

OK. The four should make for a nice surround sound experience. 120in screen plus all those speakers. Wow, that will be quite the setup. Don't hurt yourself.

My System
Old 01-20-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Nicely done audioguy! One thing that jumped out at me looking at the pictures though was although you have treatments on the side walls and back wall, you have hardwood floor up front, and didn't see any treatments behind the front speakers (couldn't see the ceiling) - any issues with floor / ceiling reflections, etc., or not an issue? Maybe that was addressed when you mentioned dealing with reworking the ceiling?

Quote:

I purchased some new wall mount speaker brackets and the only speaker that would fit were the Seaton Sparks so that is his fault.

Ha, I have to try that one - "hey honey, I found these nice tires on sale - shame they don't fit my Miata, I guess I'll need to find a new car to go with them..."

Quote:

Tron at reference is quite amazing -- a major smile creator.

I can't get enough of the first ten minutes after he enters the grid, and then the arena - must have watched that 20 times - really makes you feel like you're in the arena
Old 01-20-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Nicely done audioguy! One thing that jumped out at me looking at the pictures though was although you have treatments on the side walls and back wall, you have hardwood floor up front, and didn't see any treatments behind the front speakers (couldn't see the ceiling) - any issues with floor / ceiling reflections, etc., or not an issue? Maybe that was addressed when you mentioned dealing with reworking the ceiling?

Very old photos. Both sides of the screen have RPG BAD panels and the top and bottom are absorptive. The front ceiling is absorptive and bass traps!!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did my Audyssey calibration (with CraigJohn/Seaton sub distance mods) and played the "motorcycle" scene from Tron at Reference - 5.

WOW!! WOW!!!

I had no idea what I was missing!!!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 352
RS55 owners make me feel soooo soooo poor. lol....I'm definitely joking, but that's some serious gear you're pushing!!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We watched Hannah tonight and my wife who doesn't care about any of this stuff commented on how we were in the middle of everything, (we watched at about reference minus 7 !!!

A 7.4 Seaton System is FUN
Old 01-21-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hi Chuck,

Glad to hear you're enjoying the new speakers. Have you tried any music yet?

How about the new projector? Are you any happier with it than when we talked the other day?

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

Old 01-21-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The brightness of the projector is amazing. I can have overhead reading lights on and the picture is still bright enough. And the color is breathtaking. Great picture.

I have not listened to any music yet.

Craig: sending you a PM.

Also, when watching TV, and having the sound set to Dolby PLzII, only the rear speakers were playing and not the side ones?
Old 01-21-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The brightness of the projector is amazing. I can have overhead reading lights on and the picture is still bright enough. And the color is breathtaking. Great picture.

I have not listened to any music yet.

Craig: sending you a PM.

Also, when watching TV, and having the sound set to Dolby PLzII, only the rear speakers were playing and not the side ones?

Got your PM and responded.

PLIIz engages "heights", but at the expense of one set of surrounds. Try PLIIx instead. That should engage both sides and rears.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Seaton Sound Catalyst 12c , Seaton Sound Submersive H P , Integra , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player