AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Ten Years Later:

I found a picture of my audio rack(s) from 10 years ago and also have my most recent rack:.

The old rack contains about 33 pieces of equipment (excludes amps that were in my old theater).

The four piece dCS stack (transport, clock, upsampler, DAC), 4 room correction systems (3 for HT and one for 2 channel); Theta Casablanca which is 3 boxes (had 12 channles of digital outs so I used external DACs); 3 amps (rears, center); and A2D converter with separate power supply to convert my analog equipment to digital so it could be run through the room correction systems; an additional D2A converter with separate power supply; four separate power conditioners; turntable, TT speed controller; phono stage; VCR; TV and another amp to drive the speakers for the TV; DVD player/video processor; satellite receiver.

Below is my new audio rack (sorry for the poor quality -- taken with my iPhone) : It contains: Music Server (top shelf); Bluray player; Control4 Controller; DirecTV receiver; Power Conditioner; Lumagen Radiance Video Processor; TacT room correcton; DAC and Power Supply; Integra SSP (which contains the equivalent of 6 of the room corrections boxes from the first photo. Since all of the 11 speakers in the theater are powered, it is not a perfectly fair comparison but still demonstrates a SERIOUS reduction in black boxes.

There is NO comparison in the audio and video quality of my current home theater. This one KILLS the other one. For audio, it is a bit closer but given the price difference, it is a no brainer.

The MSRP of the equipment on my 4 racks is more than TEN TIMES the MSRP of my current equipment. I'll make that trade all day.

It is amazing what technology, a divorce, a crash in the economy and starting a new business can do to our toys. But I am SOO blessed. I would not trade where I am now versus where I was 10 years ago for anything !!! (And I'm not talking about my audio/video stuff)

Sounds like you've taken your own advice and eaten dessert first! Congratulations. Few of us actually get to do that.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 176 Old 02-22-2012, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Sounds like you've taken your own advice and eaten dessert first! Congratulations. Few of us actually get to do that.

Craig

I do now but I did not up until about 6 years ago. It was WORK, WORK, WORK --- BUSY, BUSY, BUSY. Never took anything but short vacations. Owned lots of toys (big houses, fancy cars, big boats, and bazillion dollar HT/audio systems) but took little time to enjoy any of it.

NO MORE !!!
post #93 of 176 Old 06-11-2012, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Our newest addition is the Darbee Darblet. VERY nifty. Probably the most bang for the buck video thingie I have ever purchased. I have some glitches on HDMI handshaking when I change inputs but once I get that ironed out, AMAZING.

It makes Blurays more three dimensional. See http://darbeevision.com/gallery.

It costs $250. The improvement is greater than adding my $4000 VP but the form factor needs serious work. Plastic; HDMI inputs on the sides; no Ethernet capability for upgrades. But for $250, it is still a bargain. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
post #94 of 176 Old 07-26-2012, 03:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Audioguy job well done this theatre looks great.

Frank

post #95 of 176 Old 07-26-2012, 03:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Our newest addition is the Darbee Darblet. VERY nifty. Probably the most bang for the buck video thingie I have ever purchased. I have some glitches on HDMI handshaking when I change inputs but once I get that ironed out, AMAZING.
It costs $250. The improvement is greater than adding my $4000 VP but the form factor needs serious work. Plastic; HDMI inputs on the sides; no Ethernet capability for upgrades. But for $250, it is still a bargain. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

I have been looking at the Darbee Darblet.

Frank

post #96 of 176 Old 07-26-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Audioguy job well done this theatre looks great.

Thank you. Your theater is amazing.

Quote:

I have been looking at the Darbee Darblet.

Don't look. Just buy one. It is an amazing piece and if you don't like it send it back (but you won't). Widescreen Review loved it and so will you.
post #97 of 176 Old 07-26-2012, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:

Hey Audioguy.

First off, I gotta say your HT is simply outstanding. Well done, sir.

That's great to hear your thoughts on the Darbee. I just bought one myself. Well, actually I ordered it, they're out of stock at the moment. It appears to be not very rack/cabinet friendly. I was thinking of just resting it on top of my projector, but then I have no place to plug in it's power cord. Where do you have yours setup at?

Growing Older But Not Up
post #98 of 176 Old 07-27-2012, 04:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thank you. Your theater is amazing.

Thank you smile.gif
Quote:
Don't look. Just buy one. It is an amazing piece and if you don't like it send it back (but you won't). Widescreen Review loved it and so will you.

Yes im looking into it. With the buzz going on about it and the positive reviews I might have to commit to one.

Frank

post #99 of 176 Old 07-27-2012, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Hey Audioguy.
First off, I gotta say your HT is simply outstanding. Well done, sir.
That's great to hear your thoughts on the Darbee. I just bought one myself. Well, actually I ordered it, they're out of stock at the moment. It appears to be not very rack/cabinet friendly. I was thinking of just resting it on top of my projector, but then I have no place to plug in it's power cord. Where do you have yours setup at?

Since the HDMI cables weigh more than the Darbee, I use a piece of BluTack to stick it onto my VP and keep it in place.
post #100 of 176 Old 07-27-2012, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Awesome set-up and dedication to your HT addiction sir. Hmm, that Darbee unit is very interesting.

Origin - mrmike929
PSN - mrmike929
Steam - mike929
post #101 of 176 Old 07-27-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi bud, long time since we last talked. I too am interested in the Darblet. I was the one who told Wabo about. It would be really cool to come back over and see what it does on your system. Hopefully that was not too forward. redface.gif

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #102 of 176 Old 07-27-2012, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will send you a PM with phone number. Give me a call and come by sometime next week. Since you were here, the picture and sound have improved dramatically.

The Darbee is AMAZING !!!
post #103 of 176 Old 07-27-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Will do sir. smile.gif

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #104 of 176 Old 07-27-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Audioguy just a quick question what setting do you have your darblet on, HD?

Frank

post #105 of 176 Old 07-29-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

HD at between 55 and 65 (on occassion lower and on occassion higher to about 70)
post #106 of 176 Old 08-02-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

As always I want to thank you so very much for allowing me to come see you personal Imax theater. If I ever pick a winning lottery ticket I will be buying the identical equipment you have so smartly put together. In the mean time I will slowly be updating my equipment to reflect the same choices you have made in order to follow the credo that Gary Reber of Widescreen Review has always used creating a system that is" the best that it can be." The Darblet does make a huge difference....IMO...of the images being display on your display and as soon as one of them become available I will be ordering one for my system.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #107 of 176 Old 08-02-2012, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

As always I want to thank you so very much for allowing me to come see you personal Imax theater. If I ever pick a winning lottery ticket I will be buying the identical equipment you have so smartly put together. In the mean time I will slowly be updating my equipment to reflect the same choices you have made in order to follow the credo that Gary Reber of Widescreen Review has always used creating a system that is" the best that it can be." The Darblet does make a huge difference....IMO...of the images being display on your display and as soon as one of them become available I will be ordering one for my system.

Nice to see you again. It's always fun to visit with others who have my addiction.

And as you have seen, the Darblet is a no brainer. I'm sure you will enjoy yours.

And thank you for the kind words. What you saw/heard is the accumulation of a hobby that started seriously about 1971. My first "multi media" system was laser disk and VHS based with two speakers and a Mitsubishi 50inch front projection TV. Then I added rear speaker and then I should have joined a 12 Step Program rolleyes.gif

But we do love to spend time in the theater for music and movies BUT SOON college football and Pro Football !!!
post #108 of 176 Old 08-02-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hi audioguy,

I asked this question on the dabee thread with still no reply even with the bump from waboman. Once you set your darbee is that is it you just leave it?

Frank

post #109 of 176 Old 08-02-2012, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi audioguy,
I asked this question on the dabee thread with still no reply even with the bump from waboman. Once you set your darbee is that is it you just leave it?

Yes and no. I initially set the level to about 45 (HD). Left it that way for a few weeks and then cranked it up to about 55. Left it that way for a few weeks and changed it to 70 today. I am looking for the spot for my room, screen, projector and personal tastes where I get the maximum benefit without any obvious negative side effects. Once I find that spot, that is where it will stay --- permanently!!
post #110 of 176 Old 08-02-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Hi audioguy,

Yes and no. I initially set the level to about 45 (HD). Left it that way for a few weeks and then cranked it up to about 55. Left it that way for a few weeks and changed it to 70 today. I am looking for the spot for my room, screen, projector and personal tastes where I get the maximum benefit without any obvious negative side effects. Once I find that spot, that is where it will stay --- permanently!!

Thank you for your reply. I just found out they have shipped mine.

Frank

post #111 of 176 Old 08-06-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Audioguy, I placed a preorder for the Darblet today. It is to ship tomorrow so maybe I'l have it by this weekend. smile.gif Thanks again for demoing it to me.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #112 of 176 Old 08-07-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

"...your personal IMAX theater."
smile.gif
Yup! Been there... experienced that. smile.gif

"...a system that is "the best that it can be."
smile.gif
Yup! That describes Chuck's philosophy to a T!

"The Darblet does make a huge difference...."
smile.gif
Yup! Based on Chuck's recommendation, I bought a Darblet. It's *everything* Chuck cracked it up to be... and then some. Some forum members have earned enough "cred" that when they tell you something, you can take it to the bank. Chuck is one of those guys. smile.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #113 of 176 Old 08-07-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Craig...did not know you too got on the Darblet Train. cool.gif Mine will be delivered by Friday afternoon. Yeah baby.biggrin.gif

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #114 of 176 Old 08-08-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Some forum members have earned enough "cred" that when they tell you something, you can take it to the bank. Chuck is one of those guys. smile.gif
Craig

Wow. That is very kind of you to say. Very! I am flattered!. Thank you.

My next recommendation is free if you can get it: The Datasat Trailer in Bluray. Unfriggingbelievable. Anyone with 1 or more (in this case, more is better) subs of the quality of the SubMersive (HP) needs to hear those 45 seconds. But play it at least at reference. It has a stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 version. Forget the stereo.
post #115 of 176 Old 08-11-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi buddy, I hope you had a successful trip to BBY on Thursday. What did you end up getting? So I have the Darblet in the chain now and I can not watch regular TV anymore and it's all your fault. tongue.gif

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #116 of 176 Old 08-11-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Wow. That is very kind of you to say. Very! I am flattered!. Thank you.
My next recommendation is free if you can get it: The Datasat Trailer in Bluray. Unfriggingbelievable. Anyone with 1 or more (in this case, more is better) subs of the quality of the SubMersive (HP) needs to hear those 45 seconds. But play it at least at reference. It has a stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 version. Forget the stereo.
I e-mailed Datasat and requested a copy. Your posts have been so effective at getting the word out that they are currently out of stock. eek.gif They said they would send me one as soon as they get some more.

I guess it's not just me who thinks you have "cred". smile.gif

Craig

PS. The Darbee is awesome! I have watched quite few of my "go to" reference video discs, (King Kong, Tron, ROTK, AoF.) It has improved every one of them significantly. Thanks again for that recommendation.

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #117 of 176 Old 08-12-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

The Darbee is awesome! I have watched quite few of my "go to" reference video discs, (King Kong, Tron, ROTK, AoF.) It has improved every one of them significantly. Thanks again for that recommendation.

You are welcome. It's addictive. Try living without it. HTG came by and went home and ordered one as well.

As noted previously, when you get the Datasat Trailer, particularly with your room/ speakers play it at as close to reference as you dare. You will not be disappointed.

Do you still have rear surrounds as well as side surrounds AND wides. If so, you will love it. If you have listened to the Trailer on youtube, it even has sound coming from way beyond my left and right computer speakers!!

The more movies I watch in my theater, the more I am blown away by both the video and audio. While I know that there are projectors that are superior to the JVC RS55 (that also cost about 10 times the price) I would love to hear a theater that is significantly better. The combination of Mark's speakers and subs and Audyssey make a pretty remarkable combination.

This reads like I am blowing my own horn and I surely don't mean it to sound that way. I am actually giving accolades to Mark Seaton, Integra/Audyssey and what I have gleaned from reading this forum and some of it's more knowledgeable members.
post #118 of 176 Old 08-12-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

No really Audioguy don't hold back and tell us how you really feel about your state of the art theatre. tongue.gif BTW Thanks for the PM...

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #119 of 176 Old 08-17-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Had the pleasure of experiencing this theater for about 90 minutes last evening. A...M...A...Z....I...N...G..... is I can say. It is, hands down, the best theater experience I have witnessed from the Audio to the Video presentation... I have seen and heard quite a few dedicated home theaters that I know cost quite a bit more than this one....but they didn't compare to it at all. Plus my job has taken me all over the country working with different theaters and those don't compare. Heck, Regal's flagship theater is 2 miles from my house and it doesn't sound as good as this room..

Since I am in the process of building my first dedicated room, I was also educated on things I didn't know about that I will need to know moving forward....mostly on the importance of room treatments and bass traps.

The size of those Seatons are something else. The pictures don't do the justice to just how well constructed they are..

I was a 150% Klipsch guy before last night... Still love my RF-7II's and RC-64II, but the Seatons are what I am looking for in a HT speaker. These will be in my theater at some point. Probably not right away...but soon after.

Thanks again for the experience!
post #120 of 176 Old 08-17-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jeff: Thank you for your very kind comments. The Seaton's are amazing. He does, indeed, build great products.

As for the room treatments, I will steal a quote from the folks at GIK: "It's ALWAYS the room". As I've said elsewhere, I would much prefer a $5,000 system in a great room than a $300,000 system is a poor one. I have heard both. No comparison.

I enjoyed our visit. And if you need any assistance as you move forward, please don't hesitate to call/write/email/text!!
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Seaton Sound Catalyst 12c , Seaton Sound Submersive H P , Integra , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page