Our Theater (Third and Final one) - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 176 Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 100
As things now stand, the title of this thread is no longer accurate. My wife and I are in the process of doing some downsizing and buying a new home near Lake Oconee, between Atlanta and Augusta It will not have a basement so the new "Forth and Final Theater" will be upstairs in what is called the loft. The space has ceilings lower than I would like (8 feet) but a huge room (19.5 x 27 feet). This is over 4000 cf but I am sure I will not use all of it. I may end up trying Dennis Erskine to help size up the theater and help me design acoustic treatment placement. But since I have no clue what he charges, that may not happen.

We should have the home completed sometime in August so until them, I get to do some planning.

Stay tuned !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 176 Old 03-28-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

As things now stand, the title of this thread is no longer accurate. My wife and I are in the process of doing some downsizing and buying a new home near Lake Oconee, between Atlanta and Augusta It will not have a basement so the new "Forth and Final Theater" will be upstairs in what is called the loft. The space has ceilings lower than I would like (8 feet) but a huge room (19.5 x 27 feet). This is over 4000 cf but I am sure I will not use all of it. I may end up trying Dennis Erskine to help size up the theater and help me design acoustic treatment placement. But since I have no clue what he charges, that may not happen.

We should have the home completed sometime in August so until them, I get to do some planning.

Stay tuned !!
The other day in Brolic's thread you stated that it is an oxymoron to use the terms "fiscal responsibility" and "HT enthusiast" in the same breath. Likewise, it is an oxymoron to use the terms "downsizing" and "4,000 cubic feet loft space" in the same breath. biggrin.gif

J/K! Congrats on the new home. I'm sure it will be equally spectacular to your current home, even if it is a *little* smaller. wink.gifwink.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #153 of 176 Old 03-28-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 64
You probably won't need all those subs, thus needing to sell a pair of them to a fellow forum member that is only about 3.5 hours away.... :-D
post #154 of 176 Old 03-29-2013, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

You probably won't need all those subs, thus needing to sell a pair of them to a fellow forum member that is only about 3.5 hours away.... :-D

Sorry! Will end up about same cf, BUT if I don't need them, I will let you know. Contact me in September!
post #155 of 176 Old 03-29-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Sorry! Will end up about same cf, BUT if I don't need them, I will let I know. Contact me in Septembet!

Sounds good. If the bug bites me before then, I might already be an owner of a pair of them.....

Good luck with the move and theater room layout.
post #156 of 176 Old 03-29-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

The other day in Brolic's thread you stated that it is an oxymoron to use the terms "fiscal responsibility" and "HT enthusiast" in the same breath. Likewise, it is an oxymoron to use the terms "downsizing" and "4,000 cubic feet loft space" in the same breath. biggrin.gif

Lolll.....I look forward to the day when downsizing to 4k cubic feet is something I can say. If either of you ever need to downsize your home theater funds, let me know. I can help. biggrin.gif Lol. Just playing.....Audiiguy, given what you did with this room, I'm sure the next one will be astounding.
post #157 of 176 Old 05-20-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Any updates on the "Fourth and Final One"? smile.gif (Kinda reminds me of the "Eagles: Farewell 1 Tour." biggrin.gif )

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #158 of 176 Old 05-22-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

O
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Any updates on the "Fourth and Final One"? smile.gif (Kinda reminds me of the "Eagles: Farewell 1 Tour." biggrin.gif )

Craig

Or maybe the Falcons against San Francisco in the NFC championship game.

In answer to your question, I'm in the planning stage since the house won't be ready until August. I'm looking into products that will help isolate this room from the rest of the house and am talking to some room design folks ((NOT Rives) to get some assistance and recommendations.

I have decided to use an AT screen from Seymour (based upon your enthusiastic recommendation). And if u ever have days off during mid week, I would love to come up and hear front wides and your system sometime between now and August to see if I need to wire for that eventuality in my design
post #159 of 176 Old 05-22-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

O
Or maybe the Falcons against San Francisco in the NFC championship game.

In answer to your question, I'm in the planning stage since the house won't be ready until August. I'm looking into products that will help isolate this room from the rest of the house and am talking to some room design folks ((NOT Rives) to get some assistance and recommendations.

I have decided to use an AT screen from Seymour (based upon your enthusiastic recommendation). And if u ever have days off during mid week, I would love to come up and hear front wides and your system sometime between now and August to see if I need to wire for that eventuality in my design

Will I get an invite once you get settled in the new place? biggrin.gif

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #160 of 176 Old 05-22-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Will I get an invite once you get settled in the new place? biggrin.gif

Of course!
post #161 of 176 Old 05-27-2013, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Nice setup. I hope the next one works just as well for you.

Can you tell me what make of CD/DVD shelves you are using in the first set of photo's.

Thanks
post #162 of 176 Old 05-27-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrecording View Post

Nice setup. I hope the next one works just as well for you

Can you tell me what make of CD/DVD shelves you are using in the first set of photo's.

Thanks

Thank you. Unfortunately the company that made the shelves folded. I tried to purchase a couple more DVD shelves and could no longer find them. They shipped world wide but were located near downtown Atlanta!
post #163 of 176 Old 05-27-2013, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thanks, I appreciate you responding to my question.

All the best with your move and new setup.
post #164 of 176 Old 05-28-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey man, how is Dirac Live treating you? I'm looking at going that route very seriously. How easy is it to setup?
post #165 of 176 Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Hey man, how is Dirac Live treating you? I'm looking at going that route very seriously. How easy is it to setup?

I am not PC savvy (embarrassing since I spent about 10 years as a computer geek) so had someone install Dirac. But running it is a no brainer. You can mess around with target curves till your heart's content. There are very specific instruction for measuring a single sweet spot, a sofa or a room. And you can switch between any set of up to 4 measurements/targets instantly.

And it sounds fabulous. And you won't believe how well the actual measured response looks (I use OmniMic) running through the filter - lots better than Audyssey Pro!!!

I have a friend with what is probably a $175,000 two channel system and he uses an external A to D converter and runs his mega awesome vinyl system through it in addition to his music server.

HIGHLY recommended!!.

If you decide to proceed I will recommend using the same mic preamp I purchased so let me know!
post #166 of 176 Old 06-08-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am not PC savvy (embarrassing since I spent about 10 years as a computer geek) so had someone install Dirac. But running it is a no brainer. You can mess around with target curves till your heart's content. There are very specific instruction for measuring a single sweet spot, a sofa or a room. And you can switch between any set of up to 4 measurements/targets instantly.

And it sounds fabulous. And you won't believe how well the actual measured response looks (I use OmniMic) running through the filter - lots better than Audyssey Pro!!!

I have a friend with what is probably a $175,000 two channel system and he uses an external A to D converter and runs his mega awesome vinyl system through it in addition to his music server.

HIGHLY recommended!!.

If you decide to proceed I will recommend using the same mic preamp I purchased so let me know!

I've spent the last few weeks researching, and I think I want to demo this software. I'm thinking about selling my 8801 and getting a Krell Foundation pre/pro. If I went that route, I'd combine Dirac Live with an Anti-Mode Dual Core and perhaps a Xilica processor. Which mic preamp do you use?
post #167 of 176 Old 06-09-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

I've spent the last few weeks researching, and I think I want to demo this software. I'm thinking about selling my 8801 and getting a Krell Foundation pre/pro. If I went that route, I'd combine Dirac Live with an Anti-Mode Dual Core and perhaps a Xilica processor. Which mic preamp do you use?

I don't know anything about the Krell ARES (Automatic Room Equalization System) room correction software so I don't know why you would also need the Anti-Mode. What is it about the Krell piece that you think is better than the 8801?

While my current room is flatter than most with no bass correction when using all four subs, I found that Audyssey did a fine job at bass correction eliminating any need for something like the Anti-Mode . Based upon my current experience using it (Dirac0 on my two front subs which have very poor frequency response when used alone, Dirac did a MUCH MUCH better job correcting them than the Anti-Mode. Much better. In fact, the Anti-Mode saw what are two peaks as one dip and did virtually no correction!

Here is the mic preamp I am using:

It uses XLR mic cords as I have an older but very accurate mic by Earthworks that I use.
post #168 of 176 Old 06-27-2013, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We are selling our home and had some pictures taken for the listing, some of which were of our current theater. I am posting here and in the first post.

craig john likes this.
post #169 of 176 Old 06-27-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31

Can you posts those on the Atlanta thread too?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #170 of 176 Old 06-30-2013, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Very nice room!

Are you selling your acoustical treatments or moving them to the new home/theater?

What are those treatments? DIY or a certain brand? If brand, which one and which model? Those appear to be nice diffusers on the back wall. Are those also fabric wrapped diffusers on the sidewalls (up front by the speakers) or are all the side wall panels just broadband traps? (They look rounded up front, but may just be the camera/picture)

I also love your chairs. I'm currently in the market for new chairs but do NOT want leather and the choices for microfiber are slim. What chairs are those? I know this may sound like a dumb question, but are they comfortable? Compared to a regular rocker/recliner type found in most furniture stores/living rooms?

I'm looking for a comfortable recliner, like the oversized "Catnapper" brand I have now, but with the features and style of an HT chair (cupholders, storage, tray tables, etc) in a black or at least dark/charcoal microfiber/suede and am coming up short unless I spend several thousand per chair and have no intention of doing that. wink.gif

Again, VERY NICE. I bet you're excited to be building a new home (just moved in to my new home 5 years ago) but at the same time, I bet it will be hard to leave the very nice theater you've built.

Can't wait for a new "final" thread!

Thanks,

--J

Thanks to EVERYONE that Helps Make These Threads so Awesome!

post #171 of 176 Old 06-30-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Very nice room!

Thank you
Quote:
Are you selling your acoustical treatments or moving them to the new home/theater? What are those treatments? DIY or a certain brand? If brand, which one and which model? Those appear to be nice diffusers on the back wall. Are those also fabric wrapped diffusers on the sidewalls (up front by the speakers) or are all the side wall panels just broadband traps? (They look rounded up front, but may just be the camera/picture)

The rear wall RPG skylines have not been sold but i have someone who has committed to buy them. The front side wall round "thingies" are RPG ARC BAD panels and i don't know if they will be used or not (my guess is they will not be used) and if that is the case, i will sell them. Go to the RPG web site (rpginc.com) and you can read what they do. The majority of the other panels on the side walls and ceilings are by GIK. I will probably keep the ones on the ceiling but sell the remainder. The treatment around the front screen is by rpg (bad panels) and gik and it will be staying with this home.
Quote:
I also love your chairs. I'm currently in the market for new chairs but do NOT want leather and the choices for microfiber are slim. What chairs are those?

They are out of business.
Quote:
I know this may sound like a dumb question, but are they comfortable? Compared to a regular rocker/recliner type found in most furniture stores/living rooms?

Incredibly comfortable. They are motorized recliners
Quote:
Again, VERY NICE. I bet you're excited to be building a new home (just moved in to my new home 5 years ago) but at the same time, I bet it will be hard to leave the very nice theater you've built.

Can't wait for a new "final" thread!
Thanks,

I am working with an acoustical engineer to assist in the desing of the new theater. Construction is to start the day after we close on the new house. The length of the new room will be the same as the current room; the width will be almost 2 feet wider BUT the ceiling height (when completed) will be about 7'11" and that is the only thing I don't like about the room.

And thank you for the kind words.
post #172 of 176 Old 07-09-2013, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Four subs? Wow. That's a pretty large space you have as well, and I guess four subs helps fill the room and balance the sound. From what specs I saw, those Seatons don't go that deep in bass despite their size (50Hz for the Seaton C12).

With more pieces comes more complexity, so downsizing can help simplify things. Given the theater you have now, I would say it's an awesome experience to watch/listen. The room itself looks inviting. But once you're in the new space, you can have something that will be just as satisfying which fits the new space.

Would downsizing mean getting rid of equipment only, or replacing something with something else more efficient space- or performance-wise?
post #173 of 176 Old 07-09-2013, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Seatons only do go to about 50hz but he did demo a model with a different DSP program that went down to 20hz. But having lived with this approach I would never buy a truly full range speaker again. With a two piece system, I place the mains where they provide the best imaging and the subs where I get the flattest response. And in every room I have ever had, that is never the same place.

The new room is being designed by a different person than the current room but it will look similar. I am going to put the center channel behind a new AT screen and get a different masking system. I am also going to try out the new Emotiva SSP if it ever gets released. Unlike my current situation where all of my equipment is in another room, in the new space, the current plan is to have the equipment behind the new wall that will be built to change the length of the room.

I really do not "need" 4 subs but the correct placement for two was asymmetrical and my OCD personality could not deal with it rolleyes.gif
post #174 of 176 Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Seatons only do go to about 50hz but he did demo a model with a different DSP program that went down to 20hz. But having lived with this approach I would never buy a truly full range speaker again. With a two piece system, I place the mains where they provide the best imaging and the subs where I get the flattest response. And in every room I have ever had, that is never the same place.

The new room is being designed by a different person than the current room but it will look similar. I am going to put the center channel behind a new AT screen and get a different masking system. I am also going to try out the new Emotiva SSP if it ever gets released. Unlike my current situation where all of my equipment is in another room, in the new space, the current plan is to have the equipment behind the new wall that will be built to change the length of the room.

I really do not "need" 4 subs but the correct placement for two was asymmetrical and my OCD personality could not deal with it rolleyes.gif

I took apart my setup partially once to correct the fact that one rack was about 2" farther forward than the other. But that was a free move, unlike adding two subs. Does your room setup now at least look balanced?
post #175 of 176 Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Does your room setup now at least look balanced?

Yes it does. I have two subs up front near the main LR speakers and two in the rear corner.

Attached is a view of the front where you can see both subs and the rear view shows one sub but the other is in the opposite rear corner but can't be seen as it is behind the seats.

post #176 of 176 Old 07-09-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes it does. I have two subs up front near the main LR speakers and two in the rear corner.

Attached is a view of the front where you can see both subs and the rear view shows one sub but the other is in the opposite rear corner but can't be seen as it is behind the seats.

Okay. I couldn't see all the subs. Good job.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Seaton Sound Catalyst 12c , Seaton Sound Submersive H P , Integra , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page