Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

They haven't arrived yet?

Have you got your Doobies DVD?

To be honest, I returned the iPad.

The DVD hasn't arrived yet, no. It will usually take a week or so once things ship from CCM. I'd start to look for it near week's end, though.

So the iPad didn't work out. Sorry to hear, but then did you really need it? As cool a gadget as it appears to be, it doesn't seem to have any real value other than being cool. I'm a big fan of Apple computers, but haven't taken the plunge on any of their other stuff.

Now, music is much more necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1294 Old 04-13-2010, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas View Post

What lead to this decision? I know it's kind of a love it or hate piece or technology, but your personal impressions would be appreciated as my father in law is currently debating getting one.

See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas View Post

Nice pick-ups, I've got a sweet spot for appetite for destruction. I know it's a bit older, but I've always loved Iron Maiden's The Number of the Beast as well.

Appetite, for me, is one of the top 5 (maybe higher) albums of the last 3 decades. Both Number Of The Beast and Piece Of Mind are classic metal albums. I remember buying them in the 80's on vinyl and admiring the art work. Eddie rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Well, if he's anything like me the excitement wears off and you realize that it really serves no purpose other than being a giant ipod. If that's what you want then cool. I just don't see the long term viability of the device. Just my .02 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

The DVD hasn't arrived yet, no. It will usually take a week or so once things ship from CCM. I'd start to look for it near week's end, though.

So the iPad didn't work out. Sorry to hear, but then did you really need it? As cool a gadget as it appears to be, it doesn't seem to have any real value other than being cool. I'm a big fan of Apple computers, but haven't taken the plunge on any of their other stuff.

Now, music is much more necessary.

PC, you hit the nail on the head. Exactly. It is a slick gadget. No question. But what did I need it for? I don't use it for reading, preferring the old fashioned way of books and newspapers. All I was doing was surfing the net. And the "coolness" factor wore off fast. My kids were disappointed to see it go, as they liked playing games on it. To answer prepress, no I didn't need it at all. It's the gadget geek in me that had to have it.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #273 of 1294 Old 04-13-2010, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I'm the same way. I was that way with my PSP. It was a cool gadget that could multitask yet it didn't do anything specifically well. It had a low resolution screen so movies didn't really look good on it. It had the annoying UMD so games had long load times. Nintendo definitely nailed it with the DS. The PSP also is a weak music player and the web browser sucks. Saying that, it was pretty cool to mess around with older games in emulation but that's not my cup of tea so the two that I've had were bought, played around with for awhile, and sold. I just can't get myself to actually want to own one for any amount of time. The DS does games perfectly for my needs and frankly if I want everything else the PSP does I can get a netbook. I definitely know where you're coming from.
post #274 of 1294 Old 04-15-2010, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

The iPad does have some usefulness in an HT setup, but even there, isn't necessary. The "gadget geek" appears to be dangerous, and an eye must be kept on him; perhaps this is the beginning of that realization. I have the "luxury" of limited funds and an uncertain job situation, so I have some immunity in the battle (though the limited funds in itself doesn't stop an upgrade; you work with it). Waboman, the setup you have now is a very good one, and should provide years of enjoyment. If a useful upgrade comes along, consider it. If not, know that your system is killer as is.

I bought a breadmaking machine several years ago, and can count on one hand the times I've used it. I have an ice cream maker that hasn't gotten work in about 6 years. Some of that is schedule/lifestyle changes (not all voluntary), but some of it is "moving on," whether it's my circumstances or me. Maybe I'll return to those items, who knows? But I doubt you'll return to the iPad, and for good reason.
post #275 of 1294 Old 04-16-2010, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Well, its official - I dont know you but I hate you!

Just Kidden, AWESOME system man!!
Love it even if I'm green with Envy
post #276 of 1294 Old 04-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Waboman is too cool to hate. If you need to hate someone, focus on Michael Dorn!
post #277 of 1294 Old 04-16-2010, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

post #278 of 1294 Old 04-17-2010, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The iPad does have some usefulness in an HT setup, but even there, isn't necessary. The "gadget geek" appears to be dangerous, and an eye must be kept on him; perhaps this is the beginning of that realization. I have the "luxury" of limited funds and an uncertain job situation, so I have some immunity in the battle (though the limited funds in itself doesn't stop an upgrade; you work with it). Waboman, the setup you have now is a very good one, and should provide years of enjoyment. If a useful upgrade comes along, consider it. If not, know that your system is killer as is.

I bought a breadmaking machine several years ago, and can count on one hand the times I've used it. I have an ice cream maker that hasn't gotten work in about 6 years. Some of that is schedule/lifestyle changes (not all voluntary), but some of it is "moving on," whether it's my circumstances or me. Maybe I'll return to those items, who knows? But I doubt you'll return to the iPad, and for good reason.

Hehe, yes, the gadget geek is a formidable, and dangerous foe. Fortunately, or unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) the Mrs keeps a close eye on the GG.

And like I said before, I've thrown in the HT towel and surrendered.

P.S. Lol. Years ago, the wife just had to have a breadmaker. So we bought one. Like you, it was used just a handful of times, now it sits in the cupboard collecting dust. Ha! Good purchase sweetie. Remember that when it comes time to upgrade the speakers.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #279 of 1294 Old 04-17-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

Well, its official - I dont know you but I hate you!

Just Kidden, AWESOME system man!!
Love it even if I'm green with Envy

Hi Bunga99. Thanks for the kind words... I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikarate View Post

Waboman is too cool to hate. If you need to hate someone, focus on Michael Dorn!

Haha. Thanks, hikarate.

Yeah, what's up with Dorn not signing my picture?

Growing Older But Not Up
post #280 of 1294 Old 04-21-2010, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They haven't arrived yet?

Have you got your Doobies DVD?

To be honest, I returned the iPad.

The Doobies DVD came todayand the case is broken.

When I return from the gym I'll call Collector's Choice Music and see what happens. I have enough collector's blood in me that a broken/cracked case won't do.
post #281 of 1294 Old 05-20-2010, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Waboman,

New Doobies DVD set arrived yesterday, and the case is good. We'll hope the discs are too.

I think you actually haven't bought anything new hardware-wise. Good for you! Your wallet will no doubt appreciate that. Now, how are you enjoying your system? The lack of obsession (along with the attendant distraction) over the latest gear can allow you to spend quality time with the system you have and appreciate it more, at least enough to avoid the upgrade virus for a while.
post #282 of 1294 Old 05-20-2010, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Waboman,

New Doobies DVD set arrived yesterday, and the case is good. We'll hope the discs are too.

I think you actually haven't bought anything new hardware-wise. Good for you! Your wallet will no doubt appreciate that. Now, how are you enjoying your system? The lack of obsession (along with the attendant distraction) over the latest gear can allow you to spend quality time with the system you have and appreciate it more, at least enough to avoid the upgrade virus for a while.

Hi prepress.

Congrats on the new Doobies DVD, and with an unbroken case too. Let me know how it is. As a matter of fact, I was spinning some Doobies on vinyl this afternoon.

Nope, like I said, I'm done buying for quite some time now. In fact, I even canceled my pre-order of Alice In Wonderland on BD. I'm gonna go the renting route for awhile. I am enjoying some quality time in the ol' HT. However, it's not with movies. All my tv shows are either ending their seasons or are ending altogether (24 and Lost most notably). I've had the same 3 movies from Netflix just collecting dust for far too long. I will have to watch them this weekend.

Enough about me. Do tell about your amp quest.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #283 of 1294 Old 05-20-2010, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Not gonna buy Alice? Oh come on man, you can do it!
post #284 of 1294 Old 05-21-2010, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I've played one of the Doobies discs, though on the inexpensive setup at work, and the preliminary verdict is mixed.

Disc 2 (the one I played) is from a Soundstage! on PBS in 1979. The song selection is good, but there are those mini-interview/comments intercut throughout. In fact, Long Train Running is barely heard. I'd prefer a straight concert, or at least songs uninterrupted by interview clips. That said, the performances are good, and there are 13 songs. Disc one has 13 songs too, and some overlap. I'll look forward to playng it. I'm inspired to go get Tolouse Street on vinyl, 180-gram if I can find it. Music Direct may have it.

On the amps, the plan is now to either keep my current B&Ks for now, or, if the job situation stabilizes (more layoffs are coming), I'll probably call Odyssey and see about some Stratos monos, maybe even (gasp) two pair for bi-amping.
post #285 of 1294 Old 05-21-2010, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Not gonna buy Alice? Oh come on man, you can do it!

Hehe. You can do it! I used to be a sucker for this crap. Now I'm just gonna rent.

P.S. I did pre-order Super Mario Galaxy 2. That's a must have.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #286 of 1294 Old 05-21-2010, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've played one of the Doobies discs, though on the inexpensive setup at work, and the preliminary verdict is mixed.

Disc 2 (the one I played) is from a Soundstage! on PBS in 1979. The song selection is good, but there are those mini-interview/comments intercut throughout. In fact, Long Train Running is barely heard. I'd prefer a straight concert, or at least songs uninterrupted by interview clips. That said, the performances are good, and there are 13 songs. Disc one has 13 songs too, and some overlap. I'll look forward to playng it. I'm inspired to go get Tolouse Street on vinyl, 180-gram if I can find it. Music Direct may have it.

On the amps, the plan is now to either keep my current B&Ks for now, or, if the job situation stabilizes (more layoffs are coming), I'll probably call Odyssey and see about some Stratos monos, maybe even (gasp) two pair for bi-amping.

I hate when they interrupt the musical performances with interviews. Drives me nuts. I just want the concert uninterrupted. Save all the foo-foo and interviews for after the performance.

I have the Mobile Fidelity SACD of Toulouse Street. I recommend it. However, the 180g vinyl will be cool too.

I completely understand your dilemma. Your B&Ks are working fine, but you long for the Stratos monos (Bi-amping is cool). Tough choices, my friend. The care-free, wild Wabo would say get the Stratos monos. But the new & improved Wabo says take a step back and enjoy your awesome setup. See how the job situation plays out. The Stratos aren't going anywhere. Wow! Did I say that?

Growing Older But Not Up
post #287 of 1294 Old 05-22-2010, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hehe. You can do it! I used to be a sucker for this crap. Now I'm just gonna rent.

Mario appears to have lost a step. Change his diet when he gets there.
post #288 of 1294 Old 05-22-2010, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hate when they interrupt the musical performances with interviews. Drives me nuts. I just want the concert uninterrupted. Save all the foo-foo and interviews for after the performance.

I have the Mobile Fidelity SACD of Toulouse Street. I recommend it. However, the 180g vinyl will be cool too.

I completely understand your dilemma. Your B&Ks are working fine, but you long for the Stratos monos (Bi-amping is cool). Tough choices, my friend. The care-free, wild Wabo would say get the Stratos monos. But the new & improved Wabo says take a step back and enjoy your awesome setup. See how the job situation plays out. The Stratos aren't going anywhere. Wow! Did I say that?

Well...one pair of the B&Ks was a demo pair and now and then a rocker switch sticks (the switches were replaced once before for this reason; one actually stuck in place, prompting the repair). But yes, they work otherwise. As for sound, I think (audiophile enters here) my "complaint" is that some recordings sound a bit harsh, not necessarily the amps' fault, but they may contribute. A more refined amp such as the Stratos should smooth things out a bit, plus more detail as I've heard. The Extremes use some of the same parts that the Parasound JC 1s use. But on video sources, no complaint about harsh anything. Smooth, clean, rich, if the source is that way.

The other issue is the room, since the soundstage is pretty flat, though nice and wide. Because of the room's construction the system sits on the long wall and fires across the short dimension, giving the image less room. My ears are about 9.5' from the plane of the speakers, and the rear wall is immediately behind me. And my bookcases may be diffusing things a bit, as they sit on the side walls; being bipolars, my Mirages like reflective surfaces on the sides and rear. I have some modest acoustic treatment to put up behind my seat and will see if that helps any.

You have space in that HT room. Your system can breathe, and you have great equipment to boot. I'm sure it's fun to listen to. As for the two channel setup, is that a large room? I don't remember.
post #289 of 1294 Old 05-22-2010, 08:10 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

he he were getting super mario galaxy 2. With the first one it started with my daughter playing it then I took over and I was hooked. I will come home from work and straight me and the little one will play super mario galaxy. Bowser didnt know what hit him when I took over. Buwhahahah!

Frank

post #290 of 1294 Old 05-23-2010, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well...one pair of the B&Ks was a demo pair and now and then a rocker switch sticks (the switches were replaced once before for this reason; one actually stuck in place, prompting the repair). But yes, they work otherwise. As for sound, I think (audiophile enters here) my "complaint" is that some recordings sound a bit harsh, not necessarily the amps' fault, but they may contribute. A more refined amp such as the Stratos should smooth things out a bit, plus more detail as I've heard. The Extremes use some of the same parts that the Parasound JC 1s use. But on video sources, no complaint about harsh anything. Smooth, clean, rich, if the source is that way.

The other issue is the room, since the soundstage is pretty flat, though nice and wide. Because of the room's construction the system sits on the long wall and fires across the short dimension, giving the image less room. My ears are about 9.5' from the plane of the speakers, and the rear wall is immediately behind me. And my bookcases may be diffusing things a bit, as they sit on the side walls; being bipolars, my Mirages like reflective surfaces on the sides and rear. I have some modest acoustic treatment to put up behind my seat and will see if that helps any.

You have space in that HT room. Your system can breathe, and you have great equipment to boot. I'm sure it's fun to listen to. As for the two channel setup, is that a large room? I don't remember.

Yeah, one thing I'd like more of are room treatments. I have a few ideas, but nothing I will implement in the short term. My room is actually pretty good for 2-channel music. For HT I use the Audyssey room correction. However, for 2-channel I'm still a purist, and don't like any type of eq applied to my music.

I've actually jumped onto the streaming bandwagon (kicking & screaming) and have been doing a lot of that lately. I rip the music with Apple Lossless and have an Airport Express connected optically to my McIntosh MCD500, so I can utilize it's DACs. I have the MCD500 connected via XLRs to my AVP. I use my iPhone as a remote and it actually sounds damn good. CD quality good? Nope, but the convenience is sooo nice.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #291 of 1294 Old 05-23-2010, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mario appears to have lost a step. Change his diet when he gets there.

Our favorite plumber has been hitting the Olive Garden all you can eat pasta a bit too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

he he were getting super mario galaxy 2. With the first one it started with my daughter playing it then I took over and I was hooked. I will come home from work and straight me and the little one will play super mario galaxy. Bowser didnt know what hit him when I took over. Buwhahahah!

Haha. I can just see ol' Franco unleashing the smack-down on poor, unsuspecting Bowser! The thunder from down under! Bwahahaha!!

Growing Older But Not Up
post #292 of 1294 Old 05-24-2010, 06:22 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

Our favorite plumber has been hitting the Olive Garden all you can eat pasta a bit too much.

Haha. I can just see ol' Franco unleashing the smack-down on poor, unsuspecting Bowser! The thunder from down under! Bwahahaha!!

I tell you there were some hard bits. But we passed them. I made sure Mario got his girl at the end.

Frank

post #293 of 1294 Old 05-31-2010, 01:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Remember that when it comes time to upgrade the speakers.

What better speakers would you upgrade to?

Panasonic TC-P58S2, Onkyo TX-NR1007, Onkyo DV-SP1000, Onkyo DV-HD805, Onkyo BD-SP807, Onkyo DX-V801, Onkyo UP-A1, Onkyo TA-RW411, Onkyo EQ-201, Yamaha Speakers NS700/750 Series, Blue Jean Cables
post #294 of 1294 Old 05-31-2010, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Yeah, one thing I'd like more of are room treatments. I have a few ideas, but nothing I will implement in the short term. My room is actually pretty good for 2-channel music. For HT I use the Audyssey room correction. However, for 2-channel I'm still a purist.

First, let me say you have a great looking HT. I just thought why you don't want to use audyssey for your 2 channel listening. Not having any room treatments and not using audyssey makes your whole room an eq. Audyssey can only help not make worse. I hope this helps. thanks

Ivan
post #295 of 1294 Old 06-01-2010, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by invers View Post

wow wow wow!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homank76 View Post

What better speakers would you upgrade to?

No plans to upgrade. I've had my speakers for awhile now, and every so often I like to think "what if..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino View Post

First, let me say you have a great looking HT. I just thought why you don't want to use audyssey for your 2 channel listening. Not having any room treatments and not using audyssey makes your whole room an eq. Audyssey can only help not make worse. I hope this helps. thanks

Ivan

Hi Ivan.

Thanks. I hear ya. I've had a few people tell me they swear by Audyssey for 2-channel. It may be time for this old dog to try it out. Can't hurt.

P.S. I actually do have two room treatments.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #296 of 1294 Old 06-01-2010, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For those interested, here's a McIntosh VU meter app for the iPhone/iTouch. The meter bounces along to your playlist. It's pretty cool and it's free.

Get yourself two iPhones or two iTouches and you'll have a pair of mono-blocks.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #297 of 1294 Old 06-01-2010, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
[quote=Waboman;18718719]Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Hi Ivan.

Thanks. I hear ya. I've had a few people tell me they swear by Audyssey for 2-channel. It may be time for this old dog to try it out. Can't hurt.

P.S. I actually do have two room treatments.[/QUOTE

It would be intresting to find out what you think. Like I said I don't think it can make it sound worst. Give it a try for a while, so you can adjust to it. Thanks for taking my advise. Hope to hear from you soon.

Ivan
post #298 of 1294 Old 06-12-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is interesting.

The old Waboman would have said "get the amps"; the new one advises caution. Well, there's another twist to the story.

While things are still a bit uncertain at work, it does seem a bit more stable for now. I was going to replace my VPI PLC with the newer (and supposedly better) SDS, since the PLC quit a couple of months back. But just as I was getting ready to actually make the move, something said try the PLC. So I just did, and it's working! I'm not sure what happened, but the PLC's going back into the system and the SDS is out of the picture, unless the PLC shows problems again.

And unless the B&Ks give me trouble, I'm planning to hang on to them until fall, at least. The upgrade jones just isn't that strong now, but I still have my eye on the Odysseys if the B&Ks falter. And it doesn't have to be both pair; having one fail will prompt a change, finances permitting.

By the way, aren't you glad your "gadget geek" is quiet? How much better does the system sound now that he's left?
post #299 of 1294 Old 06-15-2010, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is interesting.

The old Waboman would have said "get the amps"; the new one advises caution. Well, there's another twist to the story.

While things are still a bit uncertain at work, it does seem a bit more stable for now. I was going to replace my VPI PLC with the newer (and supposedly better) SDS, since the PLC quit a couple of months back. But just as I was getting ready to actually make the move, something said try the PLC. So I just did, and it's working! I'm not sure what happened, but the PLC's going back into the system and the SDS is out of the picture, unless the PLC shows problems again.

And unless the B&Ks give me trouble, I'm planning to hang on to them until fall, at least. The upgrade jones just isn't that strong now, but I still have my eye on the Odysseys if the B&Ks falter. And it doesn't have to be both pair; having one fail will prompt a change, finances permitting.

By the way, aren't you glad your "gadget geek" is quiet? How much better does the system sound now that he's left?

Hi Prepress.

Good to hear your PLC is still going strong. I think it was just testing your love for it.

I hear ya on the upgrade Jones. As long as your B&Ks are still rockin' no sense in replacing them... at least until fall.

My gadget geek got the better of me today, and I went down to my local AT&T store and pre-ordered the new iPhone 4G. *Sigh*, it was a week moment for me. I can already hear the Mrs yelling, "what's wrong with your 3GS iPhone!?!?" "But honey" I will say, "it's so 2009."

Growing Older But Not Up
post #300 of 1294 Old 06-16-2010, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Prepress.

Good to hear your PLC is still going strong. I think it was just testing your love for it.

I hear ya on the upgrade Jones. As long as your B&Ks are still rockin' no sense in replacing them... at least until fall.

My gadget geek got the better of me today, and I went down to my local AT&T store and pre-ordered the new iPhone 4G. *Sigh*, it was a week moment for me. I can already hear the Mrs yelling, "what's wrong with your 3GS iPhone!?!?" "But honey" I will say, "it's so 2009."

3G iPhones can be had for $99 now, you know. If the 4G will do something important better than the phone you have, then it's an upgrade. If I get a cell phone, I can make a case for "gadget geek" since I don't consider having one a necessity.

By the way, I was on Amazon the other day and ran across Takin' it to the Streets and Toulouse Street on CD for a ridiculously low price, so I pounced. Also a 3-DVD set featuring Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn and Patsy Cline called Queens of Country went into the cart, as did a pre-order of a new animated Batman Blu-ray. So the gadget geek's software division is still active, if a bit restrained of late. Not that I have anyplace to put the new aquisitions when they arrive.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Martin Logan , Marantz Av8801 , Jl Audio Fathom F113 Gloss 13 5 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page