My Rockin' Room - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-21-2010, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Well, the VPI PLC quit working again. It's SDS time, and this guarantees no amp moves for a while unless there's a malfunction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

3G iPhones can be had for $99 now, you know. If the 4G will do something important better than the phone you have, then it's an upgrade. If I get a cell phone, I can make a case for "gadget geek" since I don't consider having one a necessity.

By the way, I was on Amazon the other day and ran across Takin' it to the Streets and Toulouse Street on CD for a ridiculously low price, so I pounced. Also a 3-DVD set featuring Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn and Patsy Cline called Queens of Country went into the cart, as did a pre-order of a new animated Batman Blu-ray. So the gadget geek's software division is still active, if a bit restrained of late. Not that I have anyplace to put the new aquisitions when they arrive.

Hi prepress.

Yes, the 8GB iPhone can be had for $99. Not a bad deal. However, I currently have the 32GB 3GS and will be staying with the 32GB version when I get the new iPhone 4G on release day, this Thursday. I can't wait.

I hear ya, my friend. Amazon is a dangerous site. I was browsing it the other day and ended up pre-ordering four blu-rays!

Quote:

Well, the VPI PLC quit working again. It's SDS time, and this guarantees no amp moves for a while unless there's a malfunction.

That's too bad. I guess it was always meant to be the SDS in the end. When does it arrive?

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Old 06-22-2010, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Hi prepress.

Yes, the 8GB iPhone can be had for $99. Not a bad deal. However, I currently have the 32GB 3GS and will be staying with the 32GB version when I get the new iPhone 4G on release day, this Thursday. I can't wait.

I hear ya, my friend. Amazon is a dangerous site. I was browsing it the other day and ended up pre-ordering four blu-rays!

That's too bad. I guess it was always meant to be the SDS in the end. When does it arrive?

I haven't ordered it yet, as the PLC episode was just last night. I decided to go to a B&M store rather than online, which is more hassle but better for tax purposes. I'll go to Lyric Hi-Fi here in NY, where I got my Mac 301. There goes the rest of my tax refund.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been waiting for FedEx to deliver my new toy all morning. It finally arrived. The new iPhone 4G. Oh yeah, it's party time.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there any thought of using it in conjunction with the HT?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:18 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:

I've been waiting for FedEx to deliver my new toy all morning. It finally arrived. The new iPhone 4G. Oh yeah, it's party time.

Let us know what you think Waboman

Frank
Old 06-26-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I went to the store to check out and order the VPI SDS. While there I took a quick look at your Mac 501s. The demo pair can be had for 20% off MSRP. I'm actually thinking about it.

It'll likely wear off in a few days. I trust. If not, I'll have more questions for you.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there any thought of using it in conjunction with the HT?

I use the 'Remote' app to control all my songs in iTunes. I use the DAC's in the MCD500. Sounds darn good and it's soooo freakin' convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Let us know what you think Waboman

Franin, it's da shizzle. Word.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I went to the store to check out and order the VPI SDS. While there I took a quick look at your Mac 501s. The demo pair can be had for 20% off MSRP. I'm actually thinking about it.

It'll likely wear off in a few days. I trust. If not, I'll have more questions for you.

Alright, prepress! A new SDS and a couple o' Mac monoblocks. Now we're talking! Go big or go home.

There'll be no wearing off in a few days. Remember what Jessica says...

Old 06-27-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

The "old" Waboman is back. That didn't last long.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

prepress, Franin, Wabo and everyone else, how y'all doing?

LOL, I saw the huge line in front of the iphone store at our local mall and I immediately thought of Wabo, I was sure he'd find a way to be among the first to get one of these delivered to his house without having to wait in a long ass line...

Well done my friend!!

prepress, you are getting closer...
Old 06-28-2010, 04:43 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

LOL, I saw the huge line in front of the iphone store at our local mall and I immediately thought of Wabo, I was sure he'd find a way to be among the first to get one of these delivered to his house without having to wait in a long ass line...

Well done my friend!!

Hey ddgtr doing great how are you?

Frank
Old 06-28-2010, 04:44 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

All hail king Waboman.

Frank
Old 06-28-2010, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just when I think I'm out, Darth Franin pulls me back in.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well done my friend!!

Good to hear from you, dd. I saw those long lines on the news. Not being a fan of long ass lines, I figure why not chill at home and let the 4G to come to me.

Say, how goes your new HT build? Getting closer to "opening" day? I'm saving some bourbon to toast it's completion with you.

P.S. I believe prepress is getting closer. Darth Franin is workin' the Force on him.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

All hail king Waboman.

Lol. Don't make me bust out the boomstick.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Good to hear from you, dd. I saw those long lines on the news. Not being a fan of long ass lines, I figure why not chill at home and let the 4G to come to me.

Say, how goes your new HT build? Getting closer to "opening" day? I'm saving some bourbon to toast it's completion with you.

P.S. I believe prepress is getting closer. Darth Franin is workin' the Force on him.

Checking in for my weekly dose of JA...

LOL, The Force is strong with Darth Franin...

Opening day is really close. I am now working on room treatments, but have encountered some problems with flutter echoes in the higher area of the room. I need to get some diffusers above my absorption panels. Also upgrading my amp, I'm getting the x350.5 from Pass. Around July 8 I'm taking a 2 hour drive to go audition it vs. XA.5 class A monos... Stay tuned.

LD hasn't checked in in a while now, he must still be working on his room. These things take 3 times longer than one would think...

Cheers!!
Old 06-29-2010, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

"Darth Franin" has no power over me except I let him have it. It's the same with "Gadget Geek." This is true for everybody. I'm actually in more danger from the GG's software division; 3 more DVD titles on the way from Amazon: Rory Block, Santana, and Duke Robillard. Also stuff from Rediscover Music: The Rooftop Singers (CD) and Mel Tormé (DVD), plus a couple of DVD comps featuring guitar players.

I ordered the SDS Saturday. The store will call when they have it in, and I'll either go get it or have them ship it to me. Could I get along without it? Technically, yes. But I prefer the convenience and control it offers me and my VPI 'table. And it's legit because I'm replacing a failed component (the PLC).

So there.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm curious. What was the reason you chose Wireworld over other speaker cable brands? And which others (if any) did you try?
Old 07-07-2010, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well done my friend!!

I am well, and trust you are too. The current heat wave isn't helping, though. The power grid here in NYC is working hard, I'm sure.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Checking in for my weekly dose of JA...

LOL, The Force is strong with Darth Franin...

Opening day is really close. I am now working on room treatments, but have encountered some problems with flutter echoes in the higher area of the room. I need to get some diffusers above my absorption panels. Also upgrading my amp, I'm getting the x350.5 from Pass. Around July 8 I'm taking a 2 hour drive to go audition it vs. XA.5 class A monos... Stay tuned.

LD hasn't checked in in a while now, he must still be working on his room. These things take 3 times longer than one would think...

Cheers!!

Sounds like your new theater room is really coming together. Congrats on your amp upgrade. Very nice! July 8th is right around the corner, road trip! I look forward to your thoughts.

It has been awhile since we've heard from LD. He probably has the A/C cranked, sipping lemonade and enjoying his HT.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Darth Franin" has no power over me except I let him have it. It's the same with "Gadget Geek." This is true for everybody. I'm actually in more danger from the GG's software division; 3 more DVD titles on the way from Amazon: Rory Block, Santana, and Duke Robillard. Also stuff from Rediscover Music: The Rooftop Singers (CD) and Mel Tormé (DVD), plus a couple of DVD comps featuring guitar players.

I ordered the SDS Saturday. The store will call when they have it in, and I'll either go get it or have them ship it to me. Could I get along without it? Technically, yes. But I prefer the convenience and control it offers me and my VPI 'table. And it's legit because I'm replacing a failed component (the PLC).

So there.

Some nice purchases there, prepress. One can never have too much software.

Any ETA on your SDS?

Quote:

I'm curious. What was the reason you chose Wireworld over other speaker cable brands? And which others (if any) did you try?

It basically came down to a sweet deal on the Wireworld cables. With that said, I'm not sure I would spend that amount on cables again, regardless of the manufacturer or deal.

Perhaps I need to take Bluto's advice. Afterall, he is pre-med.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't heard from the store yet on the SDS. I understand VPI can be a bit quirky; I was also amazed to hear that it's a small operation. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow, I may call.

As for cables, I use Kimber 8TC, which is great and not that expensive (MSRP of $640 for two 6-ft. pair with bananas). Wireworld is supposed to be good, though I've never heard it. David Salz seems like a nice guy, though, and it's good you got a deal on the cables, as I imagine they're more expensive than mine (I can't see you going for WW's lower-end stuff with the 501s).

And as for Bluto's advice, that's why going to the doctor is a last resort for some. In fact, if you spent too much, perhaps it's because you listened to Bluto (also see Ephesians 5:18)?
Old 07-08-2010, 12:03 PM

Liked: 10
Hey Wabo,

Wanted to check in and say Hi, also let ya know I pulled the trigger on another pair of 501s for my 2 channel setup this time...woohoo, can't wait!

Old 07-08-2010, 08:33 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

Hey Wabo,

Wanted to check in and say Hi, also let ya know I pulled the trigger on another pair of 501s for my 2 channel setup this time...woohoo, can't wait!

Congrats mike on your purchase!!

Frank
Old 07-09-2010, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Waboman, I don't think I ever asked this so I will now. Do the 501s run hot in your setup? That would be important for me to know, since I still have (however faint) the idea of possibly going for the demo pair at the local dealer.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't heard from the store yet on the SDS. I understand VPI can be a bit quirky; I was also amazed to hear that it's a small operation. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow, I may call.

As for cables, I use Kimber 8TC, which is great and not that expensive (MSRP of $640 for two 6-ft. pair with bananas). Wireworld is supposed to be good, though I've never heard it. David Salz seems like a nice guy, though, and it's good you got a deal on the cables, as I imagine they're more expensive than mine (I can't see you going for WW's lower-end stuff with the 501s).

And as for Bluto's advice, that's why going to the doctor is a last resort for some. In fact, if you spent too much, perhaps it's because you listened to Bluto (also see Ephesians 5:18)?

Here's hoping you get your SDS sooner, rather than later.

Lol. I think it's because of Bluto's advice I spent as much as I did.

Quote:

Waboman, I don't think I ever asked this so I will now. Do the 501s run hot in your setup? That would be important for me to know, since I still have (however faint) the idea of possibly going for the demo pair at the local dealer.

The 501's run incredibly cool. No matter how much I crank it, the amps stay cool. Quite a contrast to the Krell class A amps they replaced. You could literally burn your hand after a quality listening session with the Krells.

I think a pair of 501's in the prepress household is a wonderful idea. If you need any help, just take Bluto's advice.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

Hey Wabo,

Hi KC,

That's a fantastic 2-channel system you're putting together. I can't wait to see some pics! Wow! Another set of 501's!! Way cool, amigo. I think you're gonna take the "big shooter" title away from Franin.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 501's run incredibly cool. No matter how much I crank it, the amps stay cool. Quite a contrast to the Krell class A amps they replaced. You could literally burn your hand after a quality listening session with the Krells.

I think a pair of 501's in the prepress household is a wonderful idea. If you need any help, just take Bluto's advice.

If I went there, it would be due to depression after seeing what the 501s did to my bank account .

For less money I could get two pair of Odyssey Stratos Extremes. Or those refurb JC 1s. Or four pair of Emotiva XPA-1s (yes, they've slipped back into the mix). It's like the cell phone thing: Part of me wants to make a move, but I lack a compelling reason. Of these amps, only the Stratos requires no additional purchases or system reconfigs, a strong point in their favor.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:01 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Hi KC,

That's a fantastic 2-channel system you're putting together. I can't wait to see some pics! Wow! Another set of 501's!! Way cool, amigo. I think you're gonna take the "big shooter" title away from Franin.

Big shooter!! I did not even know I had the title. Far from it. You folks are the big shooters I'm just a battler making ends meet.

Waboman is definitely the man who will have this title. With the gear he has I'm surprised they haven't done a write up of his home theatre room.

Frank

Tags
Martin Logan , Marantz Av8801 , Jl Audio Fathom F113 Gloss 13 5 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player