post #331 of 1294 Old 07-09-2010, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Big shooter!! I did not even know I had the title. Far from it. You folks are the big shooters I'm just a battler making ends meet.

Waboman is definitely the man who will have this title. With the gear he has I'm surprised they haven't done a write up of his home theatre room.

I would think that Cnet.com should do an entire running narrative of Waboman for all of the gadgets he has scored. Or maybe he's just planning for the future on a museum of electronics that were available back in the last and present century.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1294 Old 07-09-2010, 08:10 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Waboman also should have a booth in Cedia.

Frank

post #333 of 1294 Old 07-10-2010, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Whereas I would have to buy a ticket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #334 of 1294 Old 07-10-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

I would think that Cnet.com should do an entire running narrative of Waboman for all of the gadgets he has scored. Or maybe he's just planning for the future on a museum of electronics that were available back in the last and present century.

Hehe. I do have a lot of junk. I'm sure we all do. As we get older and move thru life, it's amazing the stuff that one accumulates. Nothing museum quality, I assure you.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #335 of 1294 Old 07-10-2010, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Easy now, Mr. 5 blu-ray players!

post #336 of 1294 Old 07-10-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Whereas I would have to buy a ticket.

Lol. Only to Franin's booth, that's where all the cool kids will be hangin' out.

post #337 of 1294 Old 07-10-2010, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Lol. Only to Franin's booth, that's where all the cool kids will be hangin' out.

How many BD players do you have, then? Maybe Franin will let you open a franchise.

post #338 of 1294 Old 07-10-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How many BD players do you have, then? Maybe Franin will let you open a franchise.

Two.

post #339 of 1294 Old 07-11-2010, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Two.

Ah, our systems are equal in that, at least. Mine are in the same system, though connected differently.

But equal only in that. Your system has outstanding equipment and must sound great. I know it's an HT, but I still think in terms of stereo and music (it's ingrained). Maybe this was asked before, but what are the specs on those Martin Logans? Recommended power, sensitivity in particular.

post #340 of 1294 Old 07-11-2010, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, our systems are equal in that, at least. Mine are in the same system, though connected differently.

But equal only in that. Your system has outstanding equipment and must sound great. I know it's an HT, but I still think in terms of stereo and music (it's ingrained). Maybe this was asked before, but what are the specs on those Martin Logans? Recommended power, sensitivity in particular.

You have a wonderful system. Don't sell yourself short. Both my BD players are low to middle end. Nothing fancy at all. I have one in my HT and the other in the family room, for the wife & kids. You have the beautiful Pioneer Elite 09. That's one helluva player.

Here's some info on my Martin Logan Prodigies. And a review by Stereophile magazine.

post #341 of 1294 Old 07-11-2010, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You have a wonderful system. Don't sell yourself short. Both my BD players are low to middle end. Nothing fancy at all. I have one in my HT and the other in the family room, for the wife & kids. You have the beautiful Pioneer Elite 09. That's one helluva player.

Here's some info on my Martin Logan Prodigies. And a review by Stereophile magazine.

Thanks for the info. I'm comparing some of the specs for your Prodigy to my Mirage M3-si. The Mirages have the same power handling (recommended 100–300 watts vs. 300) but are less sensitive (83 dB vs. 91 dB) and have a higher impedance (6 ohms nominal, 4 minimum vs. 4 nominal, 1 minimum). And for the heck of it, the M3-si is 2 pounds heavier. So yes, I believe the 501 will work with my speakers. And yes, this shows I'm still researching even though it's not clear I'm going to get new amps this fall. But having just had a viewing session with some company, I am certain that I want amps that run cool should I decide to change. Right now that probably means Odyssey Stratos or (despite the price and weight) Mac 501. And Emotivas don't run that hot, I hear.

Do you leave your 501s on all the time, or only when you're ready to use the system?

And, thanks for the compliment. The 09, coupled with my 111, gives a great picture.

post #342 of 1294 Old 07-11-2010, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I'm comparing some of the specs for your Prodigy to my Mirage M3-si. The Mirages have the same power handling (recommended 100-300 watts vs. 300) but are less sensitive (83 dB vs. 91 dB) and have a higher impedance (6 ohms nominal, 4 minimum vs. 4 nominal, 1 minimum). And for the heck of it, the M3-si is 2 pounds heavier. So yes, I believe the 501 will work with my speakers. And yes, this shows I'm still researching even though it's not clear I'm going to get new amps this fall. But having just had a viewing session with some company, I am certain that I want amps that run cool should I decide to change. Right now that probably means Odyssey Stratos or (despite the price and weight) Mac 501. And Emotivas don't run that hot, I hear.

Do you leave your 501s on all the time, or only when you're ready to use the system?

And, thanks for the compliment. The 09, coupled with my 111, gives a great picture.

So if your speakers are less sensitive I think the 501s will be even more of an improvement due to their high current design. I have mine set to trigger on with my Processor...only on when in use. As Wabo said, they run cool...I have felt them during extended "loud" sessions and only a trace of warmth when you touch them. Be like Tiger...just do it!

post #343 of 1294 Old 07-12-2010, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

So if your speakers are less sensitive I think the 501s will be even more of an improvement due to their high current design. I have mine set to trigger on with my Processor...only on when in use. As Wabo said, they run cool...I have felt them during extended "loud" sessions and only a trace of warmth when you touch them. Be like Tiger...just do it!

I responded in your thread, but here's more. The Odysseys are recommended to be left on all the time, which would add about $15 to my monthly electric bill. But they're much less expensive than the 501, which would add the expense of reconfiguring my system. As far as power consumption I haven't found out what the 501 pulls at idle, but it'd be nice to know for comparison. I'll keep at that.

post #344 of 1294 Old 07-12-2010, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I've been having so much fun with my vintage system, my HT started to feel bad. So I got another PS Audio PPP to make it all better.

Well now, this is it for me. I'm done. I'm waving the HT white flag.

This current setup should hold me for quite some time to come. What about HDMI 1.4 and 3D you ask? Well, I will tell you, Nein! Perhaps HDMI 1.4 if Denon makes it an upgrade for the AVP. I would like a couple of room treatments in the future, but no more.

Hi Waboman

Can you please tell me what you've got plugged into your 2 Power Plant Premiers? Do you have your amps connected to one? If so, how much load can one Power Plant Premier handle? I'm thinking of plugging in 3 Anthem A2 power amps. Would the Power Plant Premier be able to handle this?

Thanks in advance!
post #345 of 1294 Old 07-12-2010, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripclawsa View Post

Hi Waboman

Can you please tell me what you've got plugged into your 2 Power Plant Premiers? Do you have your amps connected to one? If so, how much load can one Power Plant Premier handle? I'm thinking of plugging in 3 Anthem A2 power amps. Would the Power Plant Premier be able to handle this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi rip.

I have my two 501's plugged into one PPP and the MC205 (5-channel amp) and the rest of the gear plugged into the other PPP.

My Denon AVP-A1HDC1 pre/pro draws 2 amps, the MC501's draw 6.6 amps each (only at peak continuous power), the Oppo BDP-83 draws 0.3 amp, and the MCD500 draws 0.3 amp. That's 15.8 amps full load current. The PPP is able to deliver 12.5 amps continuously, and has been designed to be able to dump additional current above that 12.5 amps on short term demands.

My biggest current draws are the amplifiers, but they usually draw less than two amps each. Their load is variable depending on their output. I talked to someone who has 501's and he measured his MC501 amps with an amp meter while turning up the volume and watching the output power meters. With his meters peaking 200 watts the amps were barely over 2 amps each. At 300 watts output the amp meter displayed in the range of 3.5 amps. This is for each amplifier. Doubling that would equal 7 amps load with both amps peaking 300 watts output, plus 2 amps for the Denon pre/pro, and less than 1 amp for the MCD500 and the Oppo BDP-83 together. Call it 10 amps continuous load for ease of calculation. That load will easily be supported by a single PPP. But since I also have the MC205 5-channel amp, another PPP was needed. Both PPP's are plugged into dedicated 20 amp circuits.

Hope this helps.

Hey, that was some wild World Cup action in your neck of the woods.

Here's a neat video with Paul McGowan explaining the PPP. Enjoy

post #346 of 1294 Old 07-12-2010, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

^ ^ ^

Thanks again. More info.

post #347 of 1294 Old 07-12-2010, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi prepress.

I turn them and the whole system off when not in use.

Quote:

Be like Tiger...just do it!

post #348 of 1294 Old 07-13-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:

Hope this helps.

It does indeed help. Many thanks!!

Can you please tell me what power cables you are using between your PPP's and your components? Also, what cables do you have running from your wall into your 2 PPP's?

Quote:

Yes, it was awesome!!! My country really put on a great show. My wife and I went for 2 games, and it was an unforgettable experience. I hope that you enjoyed the games as much as we enjoyed hosting it.
post #349 of 1294 Old 07-14-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

The Mac 501 consumes less than 50w at idle. In case you're figuring your electric bill .

post #350 of 1294 Old 07-16-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi rip.

I have my two 501's plugged into one PPP and the MC205 (5-channel amp) and the rest of the gear plugged into the other PPP.

My Denon AVP-A1HDC1 pre/pro draws 2 amps, the MC501's draw 6.6 amps each (only at peak continuous power), the Oppo BDP-83 draws 0.3 amp, and the MCD500 draws 0.3 amp. That's 15.8 amps full load current. The PPP is able to deliver 12.5 amps continuously, and has been designed to be able to dump additional current above that 12.5 amps on short term demands.

My biggest current draws are the amplifiers, but they usually draw less than two amps each. Their load is variable depending on their output. I talked to someone who has 501's and he measured his MC501 amps with an amp meter while turning up the volume and watching the output power meters. With his meters peaking 200 watts the amps were barely over 2 amps each. At 300 watts output the amp meter displayed in the range of 3.5 amps. This is for each amplifier. Doubling that would equal 7 amps load with both amps peaking 300 watts output, plus 2 amps for the Denon pre/pro, and less than 1 amp for the MCD500 and the Oppo BDP-83 together. Call it 10 amps continuous load for ease of calculation. That load will easily be supported by a single PPP. But since I also have the MC205 5-channel amp, another PPP was needed. Both PPP's are plugged into dedicated 20 amp circuits.

Hope this helps.

Here's a neat video with Paul McGowan explaining the PPP. Enjoy

How LOUD was this?

post #351 of 1294 Old 07-17-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay. Just to show I AM capable of a dark side moment:

Yes, a cell phone. But only for emergency or necessary calls. The landline phone is still the main man.

post #352 of 1294 Old 07-18-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

One last thing. The taps on the back of the 501 have allowance for bare or prepared wire connections, to be placed in the side access hole. Is that hole large enough for a standard banana pin?

Ok, I'm done.

post #353 of 1294 Old 07-18-2010, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripclawsa View Post

It does indeed help. Many thanks!!

Can you please tell me what power cables you are using between your PPP's and your components? Also, what cables do you have running from your wall into your 2 PPP's?

Yes, it was awesome!!! My country really put on a great show. My wife and I went for 2 games, and it was an unforgettable experience. I hope that you enjoyed the games as much as we enjoyed hosting it.

It's hard for me to justify spending mucho dinero on fancy power cords. I'll bite the bullet a bit on exotic speaker cables and such (still not 100% convinced on them either), but just can't do it for fancy-pants power cords. So with that said, I'm using the stock power cords that came with each piece into the PPPs.

Way cool you and your wife attended a couple of world cup games. Did you bring your Vuvuzela?

Also, congrats on Louis Oosthuizen winning the British Open. South Africa is on a roll.

post #354 of 1294 Old 07-18-2010, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How LOUD was this?

Lol. I wasn't there for his experiment. I assume he had the joint rockin' though.

Quote:

Okay. Just to show I AM capable of a dark side moment:

Yes, a cell phone. But only for emergency or necessary calls. The landline phone is still the main man.

Holy moly! The 'press got a cell phone!? Hey, what a minute... I'm thinking something is going on...

Quote:

One last thing. The taps on the back of the 501 have allowance for bare or prepared wire connections, to be placed in the side access hole. Is that hole large enough for a standard banana pin?

Ok, I'm done.

Honestly, it's been so long since I've actually looked at the back of my amps and fiddled with the speaker connections I just don't recall. I think KC answered this in his thread.

post #355 of 1294 Old 07-19-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:

It's hard for me to justify spending mucho dinero on fancy power cords. I'll bite the bullet a bit on exotic speaker cables and such (still not 100% convinced on them either), but just can't do it for fancy-pants power cords. So with that said, I'm using the stock power cords that came with each piece into the PPPs.

Way cool you and your wife attended a couple of world cup games. Did you bring your Vuvuzela?

Also, congrats on Louis Oosthuizen winning the British Open. South Africa is on a roll.

Thanks, Waboman. I also agree that spending too much on power cabling might be overkill.

No, we didn't bring our Vuvuzelas. :-) I expect to see a lot of this at the next World Cup in Brazil.
post #356 of 1294 Old 07-19-2010, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Honestly, it's been so long since I've actually looked at the back of my amps and fiddled with the speaker connections I just don't recall. I think KC answered this in his thread.

He did, but not really. The top of the tap accommodates bananas, but I asked specifically about the side hole because that would perhaps allow me to bi-wire using my current cables. To have to buy new cables would eliminate those 501s from any consideration due to the additional expense.

But then again, there are going to be additional layoffs at work, so I'm on hold anyway. Not sure if this will affect my area, but no need to be foolish and make a large purchase.

post #357 of 1294 Old 07-19-2010, 06:54 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:

But then again, there are going to be additional layoffs at work, so I'm on hold anyway. Not sure if this will affect my area, but no need to be foolish and make a large purchase.

Exactly!!

Frank

post #358 of 1294 Old 07-19-2010, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

He did, but not really. The top of the tap accommodates bananas, but I asked specifically about the side hole because that would perhaps allow me to bi-wire using my current cables. To have to buy new cables would eliminate those 501s from any consideration due to the additional expense.

Sorry if i didn't make it clear...so you have 2 sets of bananas (biwired?) to attach to each tap? I think you can do that...I just haven't tried it...

post #359 of 1294 Old 07-19-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry if i didn't make it clear...so you have 2 sets of bananas (biwired?) to attach to each tap? I think you can do that...I just haven't tried it...

Hi there KC,

It's a simple misunderstanding, don't worry. Yes, I'm using 2 pair of Kimber 8TC with my 2 pair of monos to bi-wire/amp my speakers. That would mean 2 bananas per tap. It would help the 501's cause if I don't have to replace my 8TC (probably with 1 bi-wire pair of 12TC, MSRP around $500 for 6 ft.).

But as I said, this has to wait because of the situation at work. In fact, I learned today 3 people in the unit adjacent to mine were laid off. I'm sure those demo 501s won't wait forever, but I need to wait, at least a while longer.

post #360 of 1294 Old 07-19-2010, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are some inexpensive ones from Pangea (9 and 14 AWG, too). Audio Advisor has them.

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Martin Logan , Marantz Av8801 , Jl Audio Fathom F113 Gloss 13 5 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page