My Rockin' Room - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 1294 Old 07-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Member
 
KahunaCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: White Rock, BC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Hi there KC,

It's a simple misunderstanding, don't worry. Yes, I'm using 2 pair of Kimber 8TC with my 2 pair of monos to bi-wire/amp my speakers. That would mean 2 bananas per tap. It would help the 501's cause if I don't have to replace my 8TC (probably with 1 bi-wire pair of 12TC, MSRP around $500 for 6 ft.).

But as I said, this has to wait because of the situation at work. In fact, I learned today 3 people in the unit adjacent to mine were laid off. I'm sure those demo 501s won't wait forever, but I need to wait, at least a while longer.

No need to rush into anything until you are ready...

I noticed on Agon under the McIntosh section someone sells spade to banana adapters so you could easily use your current Kimbers...

Sorry Wabo, feel like I am hanging out in your house...without being invited...
KahunaCanuck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 1294 Old 07-22-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

Sorry Wabo, feel like I am hanging out in your house...without being invited...

Lol. No worries, KC. You and anyone else have an open invitation. The door is always open.



Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is offline  
post #363 of 1294 Old 07-22-2010, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Lol. No worries, KC. You and anyone else have an open invitation. The door is always open.



Great So now that we have an open invite I'm bringing Mini Me with me to get my missing socks back.


Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #364 of 1294 Old 07-22-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Great So now that we have an open invite I'm bringing Mini Me with me to get my missing socks back.

Just make sure lil' Mini is bringing along a suitcase with my one million dollars in it. Oh, and I could use a few of these too.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is offline  
post #365 of 1294 Old 07-22-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I own a couple of these. Is this what you had in mind?


Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #366 of 1294 Old 07-22-2010, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

I own a couple of these. Is this what you had in mind?

Yes! Finally, sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their head! Though the ill-tempered sea bass sound intriguing too.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is offline  
post #367 of 1294 Old 07-24-2010, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Yes! Finally, sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their head! Though the ill-tempered sea bass sound intriguing too.

You mean this ill-tempered Seabass?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yab9fyO3M14&NR=1

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #368 of 1294 Old 07-24-2010, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

You mean this ill-tempered Seabass?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yab9fyO3M14&NR=1

Yeah, that ill-tempered sea bass will do just fine.

I forgot how funny that movie is.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is offline  
post #369 of 1294 Old 07-27-2010, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
prepress is offline  
post #370 of 1294 Old 07-27-2010, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I give up.

Why? This isn't fun to U? This is called letting off some steam. It's the end of July, it's fricking hotter then hell all over the country. Please join in and show us something to amuse us.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #371 of 1294 Old 07-28-2010, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Why? This isn't fun to U? This is called letting off some steam. It's the end of July, it's fricking hotter then hell all over the country. Please join in and show us something to amuse us.

Actually, I thought the post was funny. It was to me.

Anyway, in order to contribute something, and since I have no laser-toting sharks, not to mention a pool for them to swim in, here.
LL
prepress is offline  
post #372 of 1294 Old 07-28-2010, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Actually, I thought the post was funny. It was to me.

Anyway, in order to contribute something, and since I have no laser-toting sharks, not to mention a pool for them to swim in, here.

Start your own thread damn it. lol We need an equipment list, pics of your family and all available angles of your equipment. Not just one measly thumbnail of your TV. Give him hell Wabo!

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #373 of 1294 Old 07-29-2010, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Actually, I thought the post was funny. It was to me.

Anyway, in order to contribute something, and since I have no laser-toting sharks, not to mention a pool for them to swim in, here.

Holy moly!! Is that a pic of the prepress system? Very cool. It's nice to see what we've only heard and imagined it to be. Good work and thanks for sharing that.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is offline  
post #374 of 1294 Old 07-29-2010, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Start your own thread damn it. lol We need an equipment list, pics of your family and all available angles of your equipment. Not just one measly thumbnail of your TV. Give him hell Wabo!

Lol. Cracks me up. This is a breakthrough for the 'press. It's all about baby steps. In no time soon he'll be sailing.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is offline  
post #375 of 1294 Old 07-29-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yes maybe I was a bit harsh on him. As longs as he takes his time and does not try to hit ludicrous speed.

I also wouldnt want the press to get all worked up over it.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #376 of 1294 Old 07-30-2010, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Lol. Cracks me up. This is a breakthrough for the 'press. It's all about baby steps. In no time soon he'll be sailing.

Where's Christopher Cross when you need him?
prepress is offline  
post #377 of 1294 Old 07-30-2010, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Where's Christopher Cross when you need him?

You just got to look in the right places

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #378 of 1294 Old 07-30-2010, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Yes maybe I was a bit harsh on him. As longs as he takes his time and does not try to hit ludicrous speed.

I also wouldnt want the press to get all worked up over it.

I see your Schwartz is as big as mine.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is offline  
post #379 of 1294 Old 07-30-2010, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Where's Christopher Cross when you need him?

Caught between the moon and New York City.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is offline  
post #380 of 1294 Old 07-31-2010, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Caught between the moon and New York City.

Is that the best that you can do?
prepress is offline  
post #381 of 1294 Old 07-31-2010, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
hikarate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is the most coverage Christopher Cross has got in 30 years.
hikarate is offline  
post #382 of 1294 Old 07-31-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Caught between the moon and New York City.



Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #383 of 1294 Old 07-31-2010, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Waboman,

I picked up the VPI SDS today, rather than have the store ship it. While there, I took another look at your 501s. The demo pair isn't sold yet, but I am pretty sure I'm waiting until October to make a final decision on an amp upgrade.

I did learn that if I got the 501s I couldn't use my Kimber 8TC. The side hole on the binding posts is the wrong size. So it would be either revert to the Tara Labs RSC I still have or get a bi-wire pair of 12TC.

By the way, when you guys post photos, how are you getting them on here so hi-rez looking (some of them, anyway). Isn't there a 500KB limit?
prepress is offline  
post #384 of 1294 Old 07-31-2010, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Is that the best that you can do?

Well, I could fall in love. But that's no fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikarate View Post

This is the most coverage Christopher Cross has got in 30 years.

Haha. Just think, now when someone does a search on Christopher Cross, they're gonna get directed to AVS.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is offline  
post #385 of 1294 Old 07-31-2010, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Waboman,

I picked up the VPI SDS today, rather than have the store ship it. While there, I took another look at your 501s. The demo pair isn't sold yet, but I am pretty sure I'm waiting until October to make a final decision on an amp upgrade.

I did learn that if I got the 501s I couldn't use my Kimber 8TC. The side hole on the binding posts is the wrong size. So it would be either revert to the Tara Labs RSC I still have or get a bi-wire pair of 12TC.

By the way, when you guys post photos, how are you getting them on here so hi-rez looking (some of them, anyway). Isn't there a 500KB limit?

Prepress,

Congrats on your new VPI SDS! Way cool. Have you got it hooked up yet? Thoughts? Opinions? Talk to me.

Don't let a little thing like cables keep you away from the 501s.

As for posting hi-rez and larger pics, you need an image hosting site. I use Photobucket. But there are others like Flickr too. Then simply upload your photo to the site and copy it's Img code and paste it on the forum. You don't even need to add the [Img] tags because they're included. Perty fun, yet simple. You can also choose the size of your pics.

Examples:

Here's my famous watermelon cocktails. I took this with my cell phone.


Here's a pic of my TT. I took this with a real camera, i.e. not a cell phone.


More stuff.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is offline  
post #386 of 1294 Old 08-01-2010, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Prepress,

Congrats on your new VPI SDS! Way cool. Have you got it hooked up yet? Thoughts? Opinions? Talk to me.

No, still in the box. In fact, I haven't opened the shipping box or even taken the rope and handle off. I hope to set it up sometime today after I get home from church.
prepress is offline  
post #387 of 1294 Old 08-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Member
 
KahunaCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: White Rock, BC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Pre, there is a solution see here: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....New-Fit-other- it's from the Mc section of Agon...so I think the kimber will be fine...
KahunaCanuck is offline  
post #388 of 1294 Old 08-01-2010, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

Hey Pre, there is a solution see here: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....New-Fit-other- it's from the Mc section of Agon...so I think the kimber will be fine...

That looks promising. One pair can use the banana port, and I can use those adaptors for the other pair. I didn't know McIntosh made those. Good find, KC.
prepress is offline  
post #389 of 1294 Old 08-01-2010, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Ok, I connected the SDS, which was pretty simple. I used the strobe disc to check proper speed (though I don't think it was absolutely necessary), and listened to four sides: one each from Yes; Bola Sete; Blood, Sweat & Tears; and El Chicano. The records all sounded as I remember them sounding, so the setup is good. Good enough, anyway.

As for an improvement over putting the VPI table straight into my LCR2400, I won't say I heard any big difference. I got the SDS more for control than anything else, as it means I don't have to move the belt around to go from 33-1/3 to 45 rpm speed.
prepress is offline  
post #390 of 1294 Old 08-01-2010, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

That looks promising. One pair can use the banana port, and I can use those adaptors for the other pair. I didn't know McIntosh made those. Good find, KC.

They don't. Those are not OEM. If that matters.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is offline  
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Martin Logan , Marantz Av8801 , Jl Audio Fathom F113 Gloss 13 5 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off