My Rockin' Room - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1294 Old 10-05-2010, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 403
My Bluejeans Series-1 Belden Bonded-Pair HDMI cable broke the other night. To my chagrin it's falling apart. WTF! I again said aloud. This is a 50' cable that I have running thru the walls and ceiling. It's not easily swapped out. Again, I said WTF!

Sent Blue Jeans Cable an email. Their reply in a nutshell, said how fragile HDMI connectors are and that they can't accept returns on any cable over 30 days old (mine is over the limit.) The best they can do for me is a discount on B-stock cable. Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect. But it is what it is.

Been one of those weeks so far. Yesterday my Blue Jeans HDMI cable broke rendering my HT inoperable and tonight my kid opened my wife's car door smack into my car door leaving a nice big ding.Serenity now!
LL
LL
LL

Growing Older But Not Up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1294 Old 10-05-2010, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The obvious question (one of them, at least): how did this happen?
post #453 of 1294 Old 10-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Wabo thread has taken a dark turn. I see this as an ill omen and will be extra cautious today. I recommend everyone else do the same.
post #454 of 1294 Old 10-05-2010, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikarate View Post

The Wabo thread has taken a dark turn. I see this as an ill omen and will be extra cautious today. I recommend everyone else do the same.

Maybe blasting the video too loud?
post #455 of 1294 Old 10-05-2010, 10:46 AM

I feel your pain buddy!!

Can you somehow tie the new one to the old one and pull it through?
post #456 of 1294 Old 10-05-2010, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

The obvious question (one of them, at least): how did this happen?

The weight of the cable itself was too much for the cheap HDMI connection and it pulled itself apart.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #457 of 1294 Old 10-05-2010, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Indeed it has.

They say bad things come in threes.

1. Broken HDMI cable
2. Big ding in my car door
3. ????

Growing Older But Not Up
post #458 of 1294 Old 10-05-2010, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

I feel your pain buddy!!

Can you somehow tie the new one to the old one and pull it through?

Thanks, KC.

That's my plan. I'm hoping it goes smooth & easy and I don't hit any snags.

I ordered this cable in 50' w/ the Ethernet. It should arrive Friday. I'm ready for HDMI 1.4 now, baby!

My HT has only been down for 3 days and I'm already going nuts.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #459 of 1294 Old 10-06-2010, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Indeed it has.

They say bad things come in threes.

1. Broken HDMI cable
2. Big ding in my car door
3. ????

3. JA shows up at my house instead of yours...

Wabo, sorry, just couldn't help it!!

Hey, on a more serious note I am really sorry about that cable. I ran mine (in anticipation of a projector) through a 1 1/2" pvc pipe, this way it would be really easy to fish in case something happened.

Hope everything works out...
post #460 of 1294 Old 10-06-2010, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The weight of the cable itself was too much for the cheap HDMI connection and it pulled itself apart.

This reminds me of why I returned those Pangea AC-9s. As I struggled with connecting one to an amp, the other end came out of the plug. The things were too heavy (7-gauge!) and inflexible. Fifty-foot anything is going to be heavy, even HDMI, and if it's 24 AWG then it's stiffer as well. Sorry to hear.

Replacing it will be a pain, but what other option is there? Running it along the baseboard, a la cable? Meantime, use the 2-channel rig to keep warmed up.
post #461 of 1294 Old 10-06-2010, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks, KC.

That's my plan. I'm hoping it goes smooth & easy and I don't hit any snags.

I ordered this cable in 50' w/ the Ethernet. It should arrive Friday. I'm ready for HDMI 1.4 now, baby!

My HT has only been down for 3 days and I'm already going nuts.

While it is my own self-doing, if it makes you feel any better, my system has been in continual limbo for the past 10 months! Serves me right for angering the audiophile Gods by selling off what was as close to audio perfection that I've ever owned, thinking that I could do just as well for less.

Now that I have a solid plan to rebuild my system, I'm flat out of cash.... and it will likely be months before I have enough to even just place the down payment for the speakers.

Right now, all I have are set of $500 mini-speaker from my den to use for what used to be my state-of-the-art sound system. Oh the humanity!
post #462 of 1294 Old 10-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Hifi,

Your post reminded me of the episode where the continuum made Q human
post #463 of 1294 Old 10-06-2010, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hifi,

Your post reminded me of the episode where the continuum made Q human

I had to look up that reference since I'm not a Trekie, but thanks to Wiki, I get the analogy. It has been a humbling experience.
post #464 of 1294 Old 10-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

It will just make getting that new gear setup that much sweeter when the time comes.
post #465 of 1294 Old 10-06-2010, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It will just make getting that new gear setup that much sweeter when the time comes.

Yes it will. Reminds me of the 3 months I spent on a crabbing vessel in Alaska as a teenager. It was a living hell, but when it was over, everything for a while after just seemed like cake.
post #466 of 1294 Old 10-06-2010, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Yes it will. Reminds me of the 3 months I spent on a crabbing vessel in Alaska as a teenager. It was a living hell, but when it was over, everything for a while after just seemed like cake.

Tim, this is incredible!! Not too many people have the balls to do that!! And btw, very nice gesture sending V3 those goodies!
post #467 of 1294 Old 10-06-2010, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Tim, this is incredible!! Not too many people have the balls to do that!! And btw, very nice gesture sending V3 those goodies!

Ha! Don't think too highly of what I did. I was young, didn't think past my nose, and was lured in by the promise of a small fortune for 3 months work. Of course, I didn't read past the fine print of the contract and I only made it home with $1K to show for all of that agony. I could have made more working at McDonalds, and I wouldn't have had to work amongst what could have only been prisoners on work release that were on that crab boat.
post #468 of 1294 Old 10-06-2010, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

While it is my own self-doing, if it makes you feel any better, my system has been in continual limbo for the past 10 months! Serves me right for angering the audiophile Gods by selling off what was as close to audio perfection that I've ever owned, thinking that I could do just as well for less.

Now that I have a solid plan to rebuild my system, I'm flat out of cash.... and it will likely be months before I have enough to even just place the down payment for the speakers.

Right now, all I have are set of $500 mini-speaker from my den to use for what used to be my state-of-the-art sound system. Oh the humanity!

What!? I swear I just saw your HT with those gorgeous B&W 805Di's and a new Denon AVR. What happened? What I'd miss? Room is spinning, getting dizzy...

Quote:

That is too cool. Your very own Worlds Deadliest Catch life experience.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #469 of 1294 Old 10-06-2010, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

While I try and gather my senses after reading Tim's $500 mini-speaker reduction, I just watched Halladay pitch only the second no-hitter in playoff history. Congrats to him & Phillies fans. Now it's time to watch my Twins wax the Spankees.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #470 of 1294 Old 10-06-2010, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What!? I swear I just saw your HT with those gorgeous B&W 805Di's and a new Denon AVR. What happened? What I'd miss? Room is spinning, getting dizzy...

Room is spinning ....

Well, as you know, I sold off the lovely Wilson Benesch and Classe, and it has been a downward spiral from there. First up, Canton, nope-- too metallic sounding and couldn't get the midrange to sound right. Next B&W, nope-- edgy, overly sharp highs and lack of coherence between the drivers. Next Dynaudio C1, nope-- neutral from top to bottom, but they just didn't "move" me. Then (and currently) Audio Physic Virgo 25, nope-- great sounding speakers, but the side-firing woofers won't play nice with my room.

Soo... back to Wilson Benesch I go. IF ... I can scrape enough pennies together to get that plan off the ground anytime soon. Then, once the speakers are purchased, I'll save some more and wait some more for Lexicon to release their next flagship processor. My best guess is that it will take me 3-6 months to get the speakers, and a year minimum for the processor.

post #471 of 1294 Old 10-06-2010, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

That is too cool. Your very own Worlds Deadliest Catch life experience.

Maybe if you would stop by your thread HERE instead of hanging out at Bluray.com you would be able to keep up. lol

Bummer about the HDMI cable. Maybe you should not trip over the wires next time.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #472 of 1294 Old 10-07-2010, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Room is spinning ....

Well, as you know, I sold off the lovely Wilson Benesch and Classe, and it has been a downward spiral from there. First up, Canton, nope-- too metallic sounding and couldn't get the midrange to sound right. Next B&W, nope-- edgy, overly sharp highs and lack of coherence between the drivers. Next Dynaudio C1, nope-- neutral from top to bottom, but they just didn't "move" me. Then (and currently) Audio Physic Virgo 25, nope-- great sounding speakers, but the side-firing woofers won't play nice with my room.

Soo... back to Wilson Benesch I go. IF ... I can scrape enough pennies together to get that plan off the ground anytime soon. Then, once the speakers are purchased, I'll save some more and wait some more for Lexicon to release their next flagship processor. My best guess is that it will take me 3-6 months to get the speakers, and a year minimum for the processor.

Very cool journey you've been on, my friend. I now recall the Dynaudio's & Cantons. For some reason I was fixated on those beautiful B&Ws. Plus, I'm just getting old.

I see your pilgrimage to A/V nirvana is leading you back to the Wilson Benesch. You've come full circle. Very cool.

What's the latest news on a new Lexicon pre/pro? I've had many Lexicon processors over the years. Starting with the DC-1, MC-1 and MC-12B. I've been a fan of theirs, but haven't followed them since I sold my MC-12B a couple of years ago.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #473 of 1294 Old 10-07-2010, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Maybe if you would stop by your thread HERE instead of hanging out at Bluray.com you would be able to keep up. lol

Bummer about the HDMI cable. Maybe you should not trip over the wires next time.

I see we have the AVS equivalent of Dr. Phil. I'm just trying to spread the love, Dr. HTG.

And if LDG would finally come over and work his cable management magic, I wouldn't be tripping over the darn cables!

Growing Older But Not Up
post #474 of 1294 Old 10-07-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very cool journey you've been on, my friend. I now recall the Dynaudio's & Cantons. For some reason I was fixated on those beautiful B&Ws. Plus, I'm just getting old.

I see your pilgrimage to A/V nirvana is leading you back to the Wilson Benesch. You've come full circle. Very cool.

What's the latest news on a new Lexicon pre/pro? I've had many Lexicon processors over the years. Starting with the DC-1, MC-1 and MC-12B. I've been a fan of theirs, but haven't followed them since I sold my MC-12B a couple of years ago.

It has been interesting, and I wish I were one to enjoy the journey more than I do, but it is a relief to know that I can get off the merry-go-round for a while.

There was a string of talk about the new Lex processor on the last page of my thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...139308&page=37

It seems to be a ways out still, but there may be something shown at CES in Jan? I hope.
post #475 of 1294 Old 10-08-2010, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It has been interesting, and I wish I were one to enjoy the journey more than I do, but it is a relief to know that I can get off the merry-go-round for a while.

There was a string of talk about the new Lex processor on the last page of my thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...139308&page=37

It seems to be a ways out still, but there may be something shown at CES in Jan? I hope.

Very cool. This new Lex processor definitely has my interest piqued. I wonder if I should start saving my pennies now? Nah, my kids don't need to eat. Food is overrated. Daddy needs a new processor!

Growing Older But Not Up
post #476 of 1294 Old 10-08-2010, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Look what the nice UPS guy just dropped off. That's right, my new HDMI cable! Right in time for the weekend. Now comes the un-fun chore of getting this thru the ceiling.

P.S. Is that a Robin Hood bluray just waiting to be watched? I think it is.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #477 of 1294 Old 10-08-2010, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, remembering our humanity may bring some perspective. It might be that you rediscover the power of the music itself, not being distracted by the equipment. A "purist" kind of thing. Then, when you're able to put your system back together, the music will be even more enjoyable. A thought, anyway.
post #478 of 1294 Old 10-08-2010, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Actually, remembering our humanity may bring some perspective. It might be that you rediscover the power of the music itself, not being distracted by the equipment. A "purist" kind of thing. Then, when you're able to put your system back together, the music will be even more enjoyable. A thought, anyway.

I think I'll always be a gear-head as much I am music-lover; it's in my genes.

Music and movies are an enjoyable recreation, but they are passive, so I think I will always be looking for something to "do" with my system to make it better, or perhaps just different.

But at least I will try to be more conservative and patient with my decisions in the future.
post #479 of 1294 Old 10-08-2010, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pulling my new HDMI cable thru the ceiling turned out to be a much more daunting job than I had anticipated. But I got-r-done.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Once I started pulling the cable thru, I realized it's not gonna fit thru my ceiling bracket.

Time to bust out the tools.

You can see the masking tape I used to connect the defective cable to the new good cable.

Almost there...

Job complete. Whoosh. Now where's my beer?

Growing Older But Not Up
post #480 of 1294 Old 10-09-2010, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pulling my new HDMI cable thru the ceiling turned out to be a much more daunting job than I had anticipated. But I got-r-done.

Spoiler  
Once I started pulling the cable thru, I realized it's not gonna fit thru my ceiling bracket.

Time to bust out the tools.

You can see the masking tape I used to connect the defective cable to the new good cable.

Almost there...

Job complete. Whoosh. Now where's my beer?

Ok, spoiler question. Shouldn't you use something more sturdy than masking tape for the repair (or were you going to paint the cable, too? )?
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Martin Logan , Marantz Av8801 , Jl Audio Fathom F113 Gloss 13 5 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page