My Rockin' Room - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #781 of 1294 Old 12-13-2011, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ddgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In A Government Yard In SacTown
Posts: 1,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

We've actually had a "warm" spell the last two days. As I type this it's currently 36° outside. All the snow has melted.

Great to hear you've been enjoying your SFs. They sure are gorgeous speakers. I've not had the luxury of listening to them. How do they perform with rock n roll music? Sorry, but the Wabo can't do classical.

Hehe. You finally got rid of your rotary dial. How is the 4S? I hear Siri is a sassy lil' wench. I'm still slumming it with the plain old 4 version.

Yeah, they can handle pretty much everything you throw at them, including rock. I mentioned classical because to my ears it was where they clearly rose up to the challenge. What kind of rock do you like?

Definitely took me a bit to get used to the iphone; overall I'm not crazy about it because it's just one more way the people can find you no matter where you try to hide...

Now Siri!!! Hmmm... I must confess that at the beginning I did talk dirty to her, haha, just to see what she replies. I stopped after she kinda got pissed and snapped back at me, how the hell can a computer get pissed?? I did get a few extremely funny replies, I was on my back laughing... They could have made her a bit softer. On another note, I hear in England Siri is a man!
ddgtr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #782 of 1294 Old 12-17-2011, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post


Yep. The Herculoids arrived yesterday. The revisiting of my early teens continues.

Hey, prepress.

The Herculoids were great. They don't make cartoons like that anymore. Enjoy!

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is online now  
post #783 of 1294 Old 12-17-2011, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Yeah, they can handle pretty much everything you throw at them, including rock. I mentioned classical because to my ears it was where they clearly rose up to the challenge. What kind of rock do you like?

Definitely took me a bit to get used to the iphone; overall I'm not crazy about it because it's just one more way the people can find you no matter where you try to hide...

Now Siri!!! Hmmm... I must confess that at the beginning I did talk dirty to her, haha, just to see what she replies. I stopped after she kinda got pissed and snapped back at me, how the hell can a computer get pissed?? I did get a few extremely funny replies, I was on my back laughing... They could have made her a bit softer. On another note, I hear in England Siri is a man!


I have no doubt the SF's can handle everything thrown at them. I'm pretty much into anything, as long as it rocks.

I hear ya on how easy it is to track someone with these smartphones. Here's a pretty scary article. Get your tinfoil hat out.

Quote:


An Android developer recently discovered a clandestine application called Carrier IQ built into most smartphones that doesn't just track your location; it secretly records your keystrokes, and there's nothing you can do about it.

How to test your Android device for the Carrier IQ rootkit.

For the iPhone to prevent 3rd parties from spying on you:

Go to....
  • Settings
  • General
  • About
  • Diagnostics & usage
  • Make sure it's set to "Don't Send"

It's a brave new world out there. Sometimes I yearn for the simpler things, like a rotary dial.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is online now  
post #784 of 1294 Old 12-25-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Good Afternoon and a Very Merry Christmas Jeff.

So have you called in the HAZMAT crew after the Christmas present Nuke went off? Have a great day sir.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #785 of 1294 Old 12-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Member
 
KahunaCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: White Rock, BC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Merry Christmas Wabo! Cheers to you & yours!
KahunaCanuck is offline  
post #786 of 1294 Old 12-25-2011, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ddgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In A Government Yard In SacTown
Posts: 1,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wabo, Merry Christmas!!
ddgtr is offline  
post #787 of 1294 Old 12-29-2011, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Good Afternoon and a Very Merry Christmas Jeff.

So have you called in the HAZMAT crew after the Christmas present Nuke went off? Have a great day sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

Merry Christmas Wabo! Cheers to you & yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Wabo, Merry Christmas!!

Thanks guys.

A happy holidays to you too.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is online now  
post #788 of 1294 Old 12-31-2011, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hope you and your family have a great 2012 my friend. Happy New year bud.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #789 of 1294 Old 01-02-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Hope you and your family have a great 2012 my friend. Happy New year bud.

Thanks, amigo. Ditto to you and yours as well.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is online now  
post #790 of 1294 Old 02-19-2012, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
By the way, according to Salamander the a la carte version of the Synergy Triple 30 (frame, shelves and back panels) weighs about 170.
prepress is offline  
post #791 of 1294 Old 02-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Senior Member
 
THE_FORCE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Sussex, UK
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where's my Haagen Dazs man ?!
THE_FORCE is offline  
post #792 of 1294 Old 02-19-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

By the way, according to Salamander the a la carte version of the Synergy Triple 30 (frame, shelves and back panels) weighs about 170.

Howdy, prepress.

Now imagine loading that up with gear. Man, I wish I would have opted for the casters option.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is online now  
post #793 of 1294 Old 02-19-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FORCE View Post

Where's my Haagen Dazs man ?!

Lol.


Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is online now  
post #794 of 1294 Old 02-19-2012, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ddgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In A Government Yard In SacTown
Posts: 1,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi Wabo, you've been pretty quiet lately at least on this section. Good to see you back again. I trust all is well with you and yours... Any upgrades or additions in the near future?? Of course having the ML + MC combo in da house doesn't give you many upgrade options, lol...
ddgtr is offline  
post #795 of 1294 Old 02-20-2012, 02:12 AM
Senior Member
 
THE_FORCE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Sussex, UK
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Lol.


NooooOOOOOOO!!
THE_FORCE is offline  
post #796 of 1294 Old 02-20-2012, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Howdy, prepress.

Now imagine loading that up with gear. Man, I wish I would have opted for the casters option.

I've narrowed it to the Synergy and the Billy Bags 3003 model. The BB weighs 5 lbs. less, and matches my Sanus Euros better, but the shelves are a fixed 7" height. Synergy has adjustable shelves, an advantage if I downsize my system and want/need to have only one rack; the MC501s could go into it.

In my current apartment the casters wouldn't matter much since there's only one place the rack can go so it won't move. Now with the BB, it's high enough off the floor that I could get under it to clean a bit. And for the foreseeable future I won't be moving, so the thought process continues.

I guess you wouldn't buy the casters and rework the setup to install them at this point, eh?
prepress is offline  
post #797 of 1294 Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Hi Wabo, you've been pretty quiet lately at least on this section. Good to see you back again. I trust all is well with you and yours... Any upgrades or additions in the near future?? Of course having the ML + MC combo in da house doesn't give you many upgrade options, lol...

Howdy dd.

What's going on, amigo? Yeah, I guess I have been pretty quiet here. I don't have anything I'm upgrading or anything in the pipeline. I'm still drooling over those gorgeous Cremona Auditor M's. And then I start thinking, hey! I believe the double D owes me a mai tai and some Dungeness crab.

How are things with you?

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is online now  
post #798 of 1294 Old 02-20-2012, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FORCE View Post

NooooOOOOOOO!!




Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is online now  
post #799 of 1294 Old 02-20-2012, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I've narrowed it to the Synergy and the Billy Bags 3003 model. The BB weighs 5 lbs. less, and matches my Sanus Euros better, but the shelves are a fixed 7" height. Synergy has adjustable shelves, an advantage if I downsize my system and want/need to have only one rack; the MC501s could go into it.

In my current apartment the casters wouldn't matter much since there's only one place the rack can go so it won't move. Now with the BB, it's high enough off the floor that I could get under it to clean a bit. And for the foreseeable future I won't be moving, so the thought process continues.

I guess you wouldn't buy the casters and rework the setup to install them at this point, eh?

I do like the Billy Bags line too. Keep in mind, it will give you a completely different look. I don't think you can go wrong either way. What's this downsizing nonsense? Downsizing? What's that? If anything, you'll need room for expansion. Possibly three more 501's?

Casters would have been nice so I could easily move the cabinet in and out and work behind it. As is, I have to contort myself back there and it's a real PITA, let me tell you.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is online now  
post #800 of 1294 Old 02-21-2012, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I do like the Billy Bags line too. Keep in mind, it will give you a completely different look. I don't think you can go wrong either way. What's this downsizing nonsense? Downsizing? What's that? If anything, you'll need room for expansion. Possibly three more 501's?

Casters would have been nice so I could easily move the cabinet in and out and work behind it. As is, I have to contort myself back there and it's a real PITA, let me tell you.

In other words, buying the casters and installing them isn't an option. Or did you miss that part of my post ?

There's also Quadraspire QAVX racks, but I need to get pricing information on them. I suspect the price lies somewhere between BB and Synergy. As for downsizing, my circumstances would change once I retire (in 9-10 years, Lord willing) and I may need to downsize. You never know.
prepress is offline  
post #801 of 1294 Old 02-22-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

In other words, buying the casters and installing them isn't an option. Or did you miss that part of my post ?

There's also Quadraspire QAVX racks, but I need to get pricing information on them. I suspect the price lies somewhere between BB and Synergy. As for downsizing, my circumstances would change once I retire (in 9-10 years, Lord willing) and I may need to downsize. You never know.

Installing the casters now is not an option.

The Quadraspire looks like a nice, clean, contemporary design. 9-10 years will be here before you know it. Then it's nothing but cold drinks and cool tunes.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is online now  
post #802 of 1294 Old 02-29-2012, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Well, after 2900 hrs on my projector lamp, the warning light and onscreen message appeared. *Lamp Replacement* Although I do have a new lamp sitting here, I think I can get a few more hours out of this one.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is online now  
post #803 of 1294 Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Well, after 2900 hrs on my projector lamp, the warning light and onscreen message appeared. *Lamp Replacement* Although I do have a new lamp sitting here, I think I can get a few more hours out of this one.

Morning Sir, 2900 hours seems to be pretty good longevity.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #804 of 1294 Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Morning Sir, 2900 hours seems to be pretty good longevity.

Whassup, HTG?

Yeah, I got 2 1/2 years and over 2900 hrs out of the current lamp. Not too shabby. But tonight she up and died on me. Right before a move too, wouldn't you know it.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is online now  
post #805 of 1294 Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 269
I've never changed a lamp in a pj before. I used this opportunity to remove and clean the inner filter, which was long overdue, and also wipe down the "prism." I then slapped in the lamp, screwed in the screws and she's done. I'm still waiting for the filter to dry. The hardest part was navigating the ladder from the garage thru the house without hitting anything.

Here's the old lamp. It's a high pressure mercury lamp so it will need to be recycled properly.


Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is online now  
post #806 of 1294 Old 03-02-2012, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
^^^
Did the Borg lose a piece of one of their ships? Be sure it doesn't try to assimilate you.
prepress is offline  
post #807 of 1294 Old 03-02-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,041
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Well, after 2900 hrs on my projector lamp, the warning light and onscreen message appeared. *Lamp Replacement* Although I do have a new lamp sitting here, I think I can get a few more hours out of this one.

Was it easy to change wabo?

_________________________

Frank

Franin is offline  
post #808 of 1294 Old 03-03-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

^^^
Did the Borg lose a piece of one of their ships? Be sure it doesn't try to assimilate you.

Resistance is futile, prepress.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is online now  
post #809 of 1294 Old 03-03-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Was it easy to change wabo?

It was very easy to change, franin. It was like having a brand new pj again. With my dieing lamp I had the iris fully opened and the power set to high. This new lamp was blinding. I closed the iris to -6 and set the power back to normal.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is online now  
post #810 of 1294 Old 03-03-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ddgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In A Government Yard In SacTown
Posts: 1,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Howdy dd.

... And then I start thinking, hey! I believe the double D owes me a mai tai and some Dungeness crab.

Any time, my friend, any time!!
ddgtr is offline  
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Martin Logan , Marantz Av8801 , Jl Audio Fathom F113 Gloss 13 5 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off