Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You really need to use REW or some sort of measurement software with it. With REW, you figure out what your response is and then use the EQ Filter function in REW for it to suggest the filters to be used by the MiniDSP, either export those into the MiniDSP software or input them in yourself.

Have a look at the thread I posted in the DIY forum ....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1303605

It's a great tool with REW or other measurement software. Not as plug and play as the ASEQ1, SMS or Antimode, but incredibly tweakable.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
pbc
AVS Special Member

Here is what I ordered btw ....

MiniDSP 2x4 RevA (DC power option: Phoenix terminal block - 5 to12VDC)

... plus $10 for the 4 way advanced plug in. Based on the recent post in their forum, looks like they are creating a subwoofer specific plug in (allows for adjustments lower than 20hz if required, more delay, but only 2 ch vs 4 ch outs)...

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Very nice.

I will definitely check this out.

Thank you.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
Old 01-04-2011, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PBC nice job on the subs. I've toyed with the ideal of making my own speakers. So the question I have for you is, Are there any benefits of making your own subs vs buying?

Also, I have heard many answers (pros and cons) but I want your opinion. I noticed in one of your pictures that you run basic speaker wire. Do you feel there is any difference in less expensive wire vs expensive wire?

Thanks
Bud
Syracuse, NY
Old 01-04-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I do not think you can get any flatter response then that. Might have to check into the DSP. I remember Penn talking about it.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
Old 01-04-2011, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

I do not think you can get any flatter response then that. Might have to check into the DSP. I remember Penn talking about it.

... I'm not complaining, but I am a bit shocked at how steeply it rolls off at 11hz or so. So I'm wondering if that's the Mic's limit, or some sort of electronic limiter in the AV7005? I'd have thought the slope of the roll off would not have been that steep!

What can I say, I want single digits.

Quote:

Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efmrrt View Post

PBC nice job on the subs. I've toyed with the ideal of making my own speakers. So the question I have for you is, Are there any benefits of making your own subs vs buying?

Also, I have heard many answers (pros and cons) but I want your opinion. I noticed in one of your pictures that you run basic speaker wire. Do you feel there is any difference in less expensive wire vs expensive wire?

Tons of benefits of making your own subs. One of the biggest being the knowledge you gain about how subwoofers work, their limits, compromises, etc. The biggest annoyance, at least in terms of the ones I made, is the need to turn on the pro amp separately (no auto on), and the slight fan noise I hear from it (still searching for a suitable low noise fan that I can mod it with that will cool it enough). As for cost, hard to say. My subs would cost someone in the US say $2500max to build, including the QSC RMX5050 (which can put out 1600 to 1900 watts per channel at 4ohm). I could have built them significantly cheaper had I gone with larger boxes (or a ported box) and a much smaller powered amp, or less expensive drivers, etc. etc. But I didn't want a low cost option. Can't say I regret it either after being able to pump up several scenes past reference and still hearing clean output with no distortion in boxes that are only 18x22x24 in size.

Speaker wire? I use basic Home Depot inwall stuff for my rears and surrounds. For my fronts I've used 3 kinds now. First was Audioquest CL4 (think it was called CL4?), then some Best Deal Cables (http://www.bestdealcables.com/c-15-speaker-cables.aspx) that I won in a forum contest. Recently I build my own out of Canare 4S11 speaker wire and GLS interconnects off of Amazon (hate the interconnects, look cool, but difficult to work with especially with low gauge wire).

Can't say I've heard a difference in any of them. Is it possible some speaker wire sounds different than another? Maybe. But I'm someone that just prefers a decently built speaker wire vs a brand name of any sort or uber expensive one. I did some research and settled on Canare 4S11 wire simply because of how well built it was. Added some black tech flex to it and will shortly add some black shrink to make it look a bit better (only had black electric tape lying around when I first made them) ...

Quote:

Old 01-04-2011, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PBC thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Thanks
Bud
Syracuse, NY