Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 109 Old 01-06-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
***EDIT 5/28/12: Updated to accurately reflect gear and new photos.***

So, I bought a condo...upgraded the theater in addition to the living space.

Here's the old apartment setup/thread.

Video:
Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (Broken In, Patched, and Calibrated by D-Nice)
Panasonic PT-AE4000U
DaLite Contour Electrol 119" (HP Fabric)

Audio:
Onkyo PR-SC5508
Emotiva XPA-2
Emotiva XPA-5
Aperion Verus Grand Towers Front
Aperion Verus Grand Center
Aperion 5B Surround
Aperion 4B Surround Back
(2) Rythmik F15HPSE Subs

Sources:
DirecTV HR24 HD-DVR
Playstation 3
iTunes/AirTunes/AirPlay
Apple TV

Misc:
Salamander Synergy Stand (Maple/Black)
GIK Acoustic panels/bass traps
Harmony One
Tartan Cables
Emotiva Cables
Monoprice Cables
Panamax 5300

Pics:

And here's a pic with the screen down:

***EDIT 5/28/12: Updated to accurately reflect gear and new photos.***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 Old 01-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Wow Roger That, you really stepped it up.

Congratulations on your new condo, it looks awesome. I particullary like the floor to ceiling windows. I'm sure you're enjoying your upgraded front speakers, plasma, and projector.
Very nice indeed.
post #3 of 109 Old 01-06-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Nice, you have what I would consider a pretty cool pad. I like your system and even if this is quick and dirty you did a pretty damn good job. The rear speaker wires are gonna be a pain from the looks of it. I'm sure you'll figure out a solution.

As for the HTPC, I am in the process of adding all my physical media to mine right now. I went the lazy route and just bought a HP desktop from someone on Craigslist. Everything checked out fine and I'm pretty happy right now. My specs aren't anything amazing:

AMD Phenom X4 1.8GHZ quad core processor.
5GB DDR2 ram.
640GB HDD
Nvidia integrated graphics with 512MB ram
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

I use Windows Medica Center and from messing around with it so far it's pretty awesome. I can't wait to get all my media on this HDD and whichever one I add to the PC. All my music is being ripped in WMA Lossless and all the movies are being ripped without compression so I can get the best looking image I can get. I'm pretty impressed so far. Just need a better graphics card, a dual tuner tv card, along with another HDD and a larger power supply.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 109 Old 01-06-2010, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

pcweber111: I might do exactly that...just buy something pre-made. I hate that idea knowing that it's so much cheaper to build yourself (or even have someone do it), but time is also money.

Thanks again, gents.

post #5 of 109 Old 01-06-2010, 01:05 PM

Very nice
post #6 of 109 Old 01-06-2010, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
BEAUTIFUL set up, Roger!! Gotta love that panoramic view in the background... Absolutely breathtaking! I feel your frustration regarding wiring options. I've been combing the Forum for inspiration on how to tackle similar cabling issues as I redecorate my apartment living/viewing room. Looks like cable raceways such as the ones you're using in the projector area may very well be something for me to look into.

I noticed in the 4th picture that it appears you're using a sort of decorative housing or soffit to cover the screen housing. (Or, could it be the screen housing itself?) Either way, it looks very attractive, and I was wondering if you could share a little additional information on it (where you bought it, how it was installed, what materials were used... that sorta thing).

Once again, an incredible set up--Congrats!!!

Panasonic PT-AX200U

Da-Lite Model B 106" HCMW
Sony KDS-60A3000

VIP 3D Theater Plus Converter w/ MonsterVision Max 3D Eyewear
Onkyo TX-SR805 (v1.08 w/DSP & HDMI Updates)
Oppo BDP-103
Sony PS3 Slim (v4.50)
Toshiba HD-A35 (v4.0)
Polk Audio RTi8 / CSi5 / FXi3
Boston 595x Subwoofers

post #7 of 109 Old 01-06-2010, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qluber View Post

Very nice

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicBlak View Post

BEAUTIFUL set up, Roger!! Gotta love that panoramic view in the background... Absolutely breathtaking! I feel your frustration regarding wiring options. I've been combing the Forum for inspiration on how to tackle similar cabling issues as I redecorate my apartment living/viewing room. Looks like cable raceways such as the ones you're using in the projector area may very well be something for me to look into.

I noticed in the 4th picture that it appears you're using a sort of decorative housing or soffit to cover the screen housing. (Or, could it be the screen housing itself?) Either way, it looks very attractive, and I was wondering if you could share a little additional information on it (where you bought it, how it was installed, what materials were used... that sorta thing).

Once again, an incredible set up--Congrats!!!

Thanks, dude.

On the screen, that's actually the screen housing itself. A concrete anchor on each side, and a hook in each one. Then we just hung the housing on the hooks. Hangs down from the ceiling about 3-4 inches. I wanted some clearance so the raceways could go into the wall behind the projector without having to go all the way around the screen housing. The AC power, 12V power, etc is mounted on the ceiling behind the housing. You can't see it from most angles, but i didn't feel like cutting open all the sheet rock just to hide it.

Other than the fact that drilling a hole big/deep enough into the concrete was a TOTAL b!tch, it's a pretty simple install.

Thanks again, guys.

post #8 of 109 Old 01-06-2010, 05:12 PM

As usual, NICE! Nice condo selection as well, I love that building.
post #9 of 109 Old 01-06-2010, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedman1 View Post

As usual, NICE! Nice condo selection as well, I love that building.

Thanks! I've only been in here a couple of weeks, but so far, I'm loving it here. It has its quirks, but so does any place in the city.

post #10 of 109 Old 01-06-2010, 07:43 PM

The old set up was nice but this definetley looks excellent and the new couch blends in well.

Regards Lino.
post #11 of 109 Old 01-07-2010, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Nice setup. How are the Emotiva amps working?

I've been toying with getting these for my RBHs.
post #12 of 109 Old 01-07-2010, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger That View Post

Thanks, dude.

On the screen, that's actually the screen housing itself. A concrete anchor on each side, and a hook in each one. Then we just hung the housing on the hooks. Hangs down from the ceiling about 3-4 inches. I wanted some clearance so the raceways could go into the wall behind the projector without having to go all the way around the screen housing. The AC power, 12V power, etc is mounted on the ceiling behind the housing. You can't see it from most angles, but i didn't feel like cutting open all the sheet rock just to hide it.

Other than the fact that drilling a hole big/deep enough into the concrete was a TOTAL b!tch, it's a pretty simple install.

Ahhhh...very interesting! Since posting my inquiry I've suddenly noticed quite a few decorative screen housings, so it all makes sense now. Well, the hard work has certainly paid off, rest assured.

Panasonic PT-AX200U

Da-Lite Model B 106" HCMW
Sony KDS-60A3000

VIP 3D Theater Plus Converter w/ MonsterVision Max 3D Eyewear
Onkyo TX-SR805 (v1.08 w/DSP & HDMI Updates)
Oppo BDP-103
Sony PS3 Slim (v4.50)
Toshiba HD-A35 (v4.0)
Polk Audio RTi8 / CSi5 / FXi3
Boston 595x Subwoofers

post #13 of 109 Old 01-07-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger That View Post

So, I bought a condo...upgraded the theater in addition to the living space.

Here's the old apartment setup/thread.

Video:
Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (Broken In, Patched, and Calibrated by D-Nice)
Panasonic PT-AE4000U
DaLite Contour Electrol 119" (HP Fabric)

Audio:
Onkyo TX-SR876 as a Preamp
Emotiva XPA-2
Emotiva XPA-3
Aperion 6Ts Front
Aperion 6C Center
Aperion 6B Rear
Aperion 12D Sub

Sources:
DirecTV HR23 HD-DVR
Playstation 3
iTunes/AirTunes

Misc:
Salamander Synergy Stand (Maple/Black)
GIK Acoustic panels/bass traps
Harmony One
Tartan Cables
Emotiva Cables
APC H15

Pics:

Notes:
- These were quick pics this morning because I've finally gotten everything set up. But I'll take better pics and update the thread when I can get better lighting, and everything better cleaned up.
- Concrete ceiling was a total bear with regards to mounting and running cables.
- No idea how to run cables to the rear speakers...running them under the rug now and don't like how it looks.
- Couch is temporary. Haven't decided on living room furniture, so this couch will go into the office when I do.
- REFLECTIONS...OMFG...so much light from these windows. Need window treatments badly. It's not bad at night, though.
- Just moved in so not everything is unpacked, as evidenced by the cardboard "doormat" to the balcony.

Next Steps:
- WINDOW TREATMENTS
- New living room furniture (couch/chair/etc)
- Maybe an HTPC so I can house all my Blu-rays in one place. No idea where to begin with that. I've read a bunch of threads in the HTPC part of the forums and it's only made my headache worse. Anyone here build them?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Nice crib dude, great view. What city are you in? Place looks clean, setup looks classy. Pretty nice job overall.

Revenge is a dish best served cold...

post #14 of 109 Old 01-07-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klipper View Post

The old set up was nice but this definetley looks excellent and the new couch blends in well.

Regards Lino.

Thanks, Lino!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingus View Post

Nice setup. How are the Emotiva amps working?

I've been toying with getting these for my RBHs.

The Emos are great. Powering my speakers with the 876 was good. Adding these moved to "great." Not sure I'll ever be able to go back to a simple AVR (with no external amps) setup again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMF222 View Post

Nice crib dude, great view. What city are you in? Place looks clean, setup looks classy. Pretty nice job overall.

I'm in Chicago. The view you're seeing is North (and a little East). Also have a direct view of downtown, and can see the Lake (though I'm a couple miles inland).

From the balcony, facing S/SE towards downtown:

Thanks guys!

post #15 of 109 Old 01-07-2010, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Wow, great apartment!

You're going to need more acoustic panels with all that glass. LOL
post #16 of 109 Old 01-07-2010, 12:21 PM

What exactly do you do for a living? That's some prime real estate you have there! Everything in Miami is ultra overpriced, and the only place you'd have a view remotely close to that is at the beach. Did you consider any other amps besides the Emotiva? That front stage must sound good. I just bought a set of Klipsch RF-82's and the RC-64 reference center and it blows me away. Those 6T's and the 6C must sound great with the amps.

Revenge is a dish best served cold...

post #17 of 109 Old 01-07-2010, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post

Wow, great apartment!

You're going to need more acoustic panels with all that glass. LOL

Understatement. Therein lies the problem I've had at both places. Lots of windows are sexy, but awful for acoustics. Compromises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMF222 View Post

What exactly do you do for a living? That's some prime real estate you have there! Everything in Miami is ultra overpriced, and the only place you'd have a view remotely close to that is at the beach. Did you consider any other amps besides the Emotiva? That front stage must sound good. I just bought a set of Klipsch RF-82's and the RC-64 reference center and it blows me away. Those 6T's and the 6C must sound great with the amps.

If you can buy a place right, it's still very much a buyer's market out there. The place isn't without its disadvantages, but they're all things that I have no problem with, making the place a good choice for me. I've lived in Miami, too...definitely know what you're talking about when it comes to prime real estate down there.

I did consider a couple other amp options, but for the price, I couldn't find anything that achieved the performance and look of the Emos that was close. Worth noting that I bought both amps used off Emotiva Forum members. They do sound great to me, and I haven't even had a ton of time to sit down and really enjoy them. This weekend will be the first since setting everything up that I've been able to relax and enjoy this stuff thoroughly.

post #18 of 109 Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello Roger!

You have really outdone yourself! I was impressed with what you accomplished at the apartment. But the new condo is incredible! The new Aperions look impressive! Now you have to get the Emotiva CDP! The system dictates that you do!
You truly did a superb job integrating the Panny projector and the retractable screen. Remarkable execution.
Congrats on the new Condo Roger, you've done good!

Regards,

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

post #19 of 109 Old 01-08-2010, 04:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Nice pics.
I look forward to seeing how you handle the windows (which look great) for light and audio treatments.

There are some really good A/V people in the Chicago area -- Mark Seaton for speakers and subs and Craig Rounds for calibrations.

Mike

post #20 of 109 Old 01-08-2010, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Hello Roger!

You have really outdone yourself! I was impressed with what you accomplished at the apartment. But the new condo is incredible! The new Aperions look impressive! Now you have to get the Emotiva CDP! The system dictates that you do!
You truly did a superb job integrating the Panny projector and the retractable screen. Remarkable execution.
Congrats on the new Condo Roger, you've done good!

Regards,

Really appreciate how complimentary you always are. As always, thanks for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

Nice pics.
I look forward to seeing how you handle the windows (which look great) for light and audio treatments.

There are some really good A/V people in the Chicago area -- Mark Seaton for speakers and subs and Craig Rounds for calibrations.

Mike

I've had Craig's website (which needs some work, IMO ) bookmarked for a while now. Getting my Panny calibrated is most definitely on my list!

post #21 of 109 Old 01-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Roger That-

Beautiful. How about shot like above, but at night? I'd love to see what the city lights look like from your place.
post #22 of 109 Old 01-11-2010, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I assume you mean this shot:

Now I'm longing for a better camera that could do justice to how good it looks in person. I could do without the bright-as-the-sun parking garage lights screwing with the view, though.

Thanks, Chris!

post #23 of 109 Old 01-11-2010, 08:41 PM

Liked: 13
I always thought those green couches seemed a little out of place.

Congrats on the condo, we should be in ours come April, if all goes well... Of course, a "new" condo in our case means built in 1972, but...
post #24 of 109 Old 01-11-2010, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post

I always thought those green couches seemed a little out of place.

Congrats on the condo, we should be in ours come April, if all goes well... Of course, a "new" condo in our case means built in 1972, but...

New to you is just as new! Congrats on your new digs as well.

The green couches were holdovers from college. At 12 years old, they were about ready to die anyway, but I was waiting to buy a new place before replacing them. Would've been a waste to buy new, better furniture only to find a great place that they didn't fit in (size- or decor-wise).

post #25 of 109 Old 01-13-2010, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Your new pad is just screaming for some mid-century modern furniture. A few barcelona chairs, a chaise or an eames lounge chair. Stylish & minimalist.

post #26 of 109 Old 01-13-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
What's all that white stuff in the pic? We don't have that problem down here. lol

post #27 of 109 Old 01-13-2010, 05:59 PM

I agree,it looks better now. Any plans on getting a 3000 watt amps?
post #28 of 109 Old 01-13-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btf1980 View Post

Your new pad is just screaming for some mid-century modern furniture. A few barcelona chairs, a chaise or an eames lounge chair. Stylish & minimalist.

Indeed. Still shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

What's all that white stuff in the pic? We don't have that problem down here. lol

I moved here from South Florida...trust me...it's taken some getting used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek07 View Post

I agree,it looks better now. Any plans on getting a 3000 watt amps?

Haha...I'll never say never.

post #29 of 109 Old 01-19-2010, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btf1980 View Post

btf1980, you are so bougie! (For those of you not familiar with the term, it's urban venacular for "bourgeois"!)

Regards,

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

post #30 of 109 Old 01-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

btf1980, you are so bougie! (For those of you not familiar with the term, it's urban venacular for "bourgeois"!)

Regards,

LMAO - I kid you not, I went out to dinner last night with some friends and they said that to me.

Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page