Kahuna's Theatre - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 281 Old 05-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Senior Member
 
THE_FORCE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Sussex, UK
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What a system ! It looks like you've put a whole lot of effort into that Mike. It must sound friggin' incredible !
THE_FORCE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 281 Old 05-01-2010, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

It's 14 feet from your eyes to the Screen, another 4 inches to the Pioneer.

Mike

That's actually about right for a 60" screen, though at the upper edge of the range. For my 50" the upper recommended distance I've seen is 11"; I'm 9.5" away and it's about right in my room and setup.
prepress is offline  
post #63 of 281 Old 05-01-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
KahunaCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: White Rock, BC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FORCE View Post

What a system ! It looks like you've put a whole lot of effort into that Mike. It must sound friggin' incredible !

Thanks, as you know it never seems quite finished...I just pulled the trigger on an amazing deal I got on a pair of JL Audio Fathom 113s...looking forward to getting them in and setup. The SVS have been great, but I am always looking for that little more!
KahunaCanuck is offline  
post #64 of 281 Old 05-01-2010, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
KahunaCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: White Rock, BC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

That's actually about right for a 60" screen, though at the upper edge of the range. For my 50" the upper recommended distance I've seen is 11"; I'm 9.5" away and it's about right in my room and setup.

I luv the Kuro, use it for watching basic TV, video games etc...but the big screen rocks for movies...and games sometimes!
KahunaCanuck is offline  
post #65 of 281 Old 05-03-2010, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

I luv the Kuro, use it for watching basic TV, video games etc...but the big screen rocks for movies...and games sometimes!

The bigger screen looks better, for sure. And though I'm sure the photo angles affect the perspective some, and 60" is a respectable size, the Kuro does look a bit overwhelmed with all the other equipment you have. The big screen will be more immersive for sure.
prepress is offline  
post #66 of 281 Old 06-06-2010, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
KahunaCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: White Rock, BC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally got my upgrades done and thought I should update you guys.

I replaced my Furman power unit with a PS Audio Power Plant Premiere for the front end, replaced my Denon Blu ray with the Oppo, finally updated the DSP board & firmware in the SSP 800 Pre/pro so it can do the decoding, and replaced the SVS subs with a pair of JL Audio Fathom F113s. I then had a stand made for the HTM1D center channel to lift it up as well as put wheels under it so I can move it!

I am happy with all of the upgrades and to have gained a little room with the smaller subs.

Cheers!

Mike

One New JL

New Stand with PS Premiere tucked in the cabinet behind it...

New Oppo below the Classe

The wide shot...


Cheers!
KahunaCanuck is offline  
post #67 of 281 Old 06-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Member
 
thenish03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have envy written all over my face.

Curious if you have notice a difference/or as big a difference as you expected with replacing the SVS subs with a pair of F113?

Beautiful setup.
thenish03 is offline  
post #68 of 281 Old 06-07-2010, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
KahunaCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: White Rock, BC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks!

Yes, it is surprising, the JLs seem to be able to do the big movie booms etc. without a problem, but where I really notice the difference is how much more musical and dynamic they are. they seem to move much faster...even my wife noticed it when I was playing 2 channel music off the computer...she asked why it sounded more "alive"...what more could you want?
KahunaCanuck is offline  
post #69 of 281 Old 06-11-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

Finally got my upgrades done and thought I should update you guys.

I replaced my Furman power unit with a PS Audio Power Plant Premiere for the front end, replaced my Denon Blu ray with the Oppo, finally updated the DSP board & firmware in the SSP 800 Pre/pro so it can do the decoding, and replaced the SVS subs with a pair of JL Audio Fathom F113s. I then had a stand made for the HTM1D center channel to lift it up as well as put wheels under it so I can move it!

I am happy with all of the upgrades and to have gained a little room with the smaller subs.

Cheers!

Mike

One New JL

New Stand with PS Premiere tucked in the cabinet behind it...

New Oppo below the Classe

The wide shot...


Cheers!

Stunning setup! Well done!! A++++

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #70 of 281 Old 06-14-2010, 12:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I'm curious how did you find the performance of the fathoms over the SVS?

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #71 of 281 Old 06-14-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Fanaticalism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

Thanks!

Yes, it is surprising, the JLs seem to be able to do the big movie booms etc. without a problem, but where I really notice the difference is how much more musical and dynamic they are. they seem to move much faster...even my wife noticed it when I was playing 2 channel music off the computer...she asked why it sounded more "alive"...what more could you want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I'm curious how did you find the performance of the fathoms over the SVS?

There you go, Frank.
Fanaticalism is offline  
post #72 of 281 Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post


There you go, Frank.

Thanks!!

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #73 of 281 Old 06-18-2010, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
KahunaCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: White Rock, BC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Haha, thanks for clearing that up for me!
KahunaCanuck is offline  
post #74 of 281 Old 07-06-2010, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
KahunaCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: White Rock, BC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I'm curious how did you find the performance of the fathoms over the SVS?

Sorry Frank, I didn't respond to this previously!

I really moved the SVS's out for the JLs more out of reduced space requirements and wanting to try something different than feeling like my system lacked bass. What I found shocking is how much I prefer the JL's to the SVS's in terms of musicality, naturalness, and just sounding more real. I notice this mostly with music playback, it just seems like I hear more of the bass sound, like you can pick out the notes more than previously it was more of a bamm, now it is more exact. It applies to movies, just less obviously than listening to a guy play string bass...so yes, there is a big difference in my opinion.

Cheers!
KahunaCanuck is offline  
post #75 of 281 Old 07-06-2010, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post


Sorry Frank, I didn't respond to this previously!

I really moved the SVS's out for the JLs more out of reduced space requirements and wanting to try something different than feeling like my system lacked bass. What I found shocking is how much I prefer the JL's to the SVS's in terms of musicality, naturalness, and just sounding more real. I notice this mostly with music playback, it just seems like I hear more of the bass sound, like you can pick out the notes more than previously it was more of a bamm, now it is more exact. It applies to movies, just less obviously than listening to a guy play string bass...so yes, there is a big difference in my opinion.

Cheers!

Thankyou! I was quite curious to hear from someone move from svs to fathoms because I've always been intrested as those two brands were always in debate. I have a pair of fathoms myself, know raised( recommended by Barry Ober - sound doctor )which have improved the performance of these beauties even more.

The curiosity of me trying to compare the svs to the fathoms is fulfilled. I don't need to bother anymore thanks again.

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #76 of 281 Old 07-07-2010, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

I think to really simplify it, B&W"s generally are super detailed, while the McIntosh sound is more warm and they combine well together...

I forgot to ask this. Which speaker cables are you using? In your system specs I didn't see anything I recognized as a speaker cable.
prepress is offline  
post #77 of 281 Old 07-07-2010, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
KahunaCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: White Rock, BC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using "Cat Cables" they are hand made by the sponsor of HTGuide, basically a one man operation. I am happy with them, though I have to admit I have not done much testing. They are well made and seem more reasonable than a lot of the "high end" stuff.

I did order some Wireworld for my 2 channel setup that I am making some changes to...I may do some comparisons when I get that stuff...same deal Wabo got...

Cheers!

Mike
KahunaCanuck is offline  
post #78 of 281 Old 07-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
hikarate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They may have told you you were getting the Wabo deal, but no one gets the Wabo deal but Wabo!
hikarate is offline  
post #79 of 281 Old 07-08-2010, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

I am using "Cat Cables" they are hand made by the sponsor of HTGuide, basically a one man operation. I am happy with them, though I have to admit I have not done much testing. They are well made and seem more reasonable than a lot of the "high end" stuff.

I did order some Wireworld for my 2 channel setup that I am making some changes to...I may do some comparisons when I get that stuff...same deal Wabo got...

Cheers!

Mike

Yes, I wonder about the extremely expensive cables. I have Kimber 8TC, and like it very much. It's the cable that was used when I auditioned the Mac 501s back in April (with B&W speakers, by the way). I have 2 6-ft. pairs w. bananas for a MSRP of $640. I don't see going much further than that. But, that would be expensive to some.

Anyway, if you do get the Wireworld or anything else, please post your impressions.
prepress is offline  
post #80 of 281 Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
KahunaCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: White Rock, BC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikarate View Post

They may have told you you were getting the Wabo deal, but no one gets the Wabo deal but Wabo!

Haha, no that is probably true!
KahunaCanuck is offline  
post #81 of 281 Old 07-08-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
KahunaCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: White Rock, BC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Yes, I wonder about the extremely expensive cables. I have Kimber 8TC, and like it very much. It's the cable that was used when I auditioned the Mac 501s back in April (with B&W speakers, by the way). I have 2 6-ft. pairs w. bananas for a MSRP of $640. I don't see going much further than that. But, that would be expensive to some.

Anyway, if you do get the Wireworld or anything else, please post your impressions.

I have always liked Kimber stuff...I have the lower level ones in my bedroom system...very happy with it. When my brother is in town maybe we will do a test with all three of them...I have always wanted to do that kind of testing...just generally don't have the time...when it is all hooked up and running I can't picture taking it apart again just to try things out...
KahunaCanuck is offline  
post #82 of 281 Old 07-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Member
 
thenish03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Kahuna, what's in your 2ch setup currently? What do you plan on changing out?
thenish03 is offline  
post #83 of 281 Old 07-08-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
KahunaCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: White Rock, BC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have sold my Musical Fidelity KW500 Integrated, and am selling my KW25 Transport/DAC. I have a Marantz (Clearaudio)TT15 turntable I am keeping as well as B&W 805s (for now) & Rel 305 sub.

I have gone McIntosh with the new setup...C500t Pre, 2 MC501 monos, MEN220 Room eq, PS Audio PPP and a Olive 4HD music server...along with Wireworld cables of course. Also ordered a custom stand from Steve Blynn...

Can't wait to get it all!
KahunaCanuck is offline  
post #84 of 281 Old 07-08-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

I have sold my Musical Fidelity KW500 Integrated, and am selling my KW25 Transport/DAC. I have a Marantz (Clearaudio)TT15 turntable I am keeping as well as B&W 805s (for now) & Rel 305 sub.

I have gone McIntosh with the new setup...C500t Pre, 2 MC501 monos, MEN220 Room eq, PS Audio PPP and a Olive 4HD music server...along with Wireworld cables of course. Also ordered a custom stand from Steve Blynn...

Can't wait to get it all!

Christmas is coming early, it seems.
prepress is offline  
post #85 of 281 Old 07-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
hikarate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hope you can share some Album pics like Wabo, I don't collect vynyl but I enjoy the pics.
hikarate is offline  
post #86 of 281 Old 07-08-2010, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
KahunaCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: White Rock, BC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Christmas is coming early, it seems.

Ya, my wife is not thrilled...she will be fine when she hear it though!


Quote:
Originally Posted by hikarate View Post

Hope you can share some Album pics like Wabo, I don't collect vynyl but I enjoy the pics.

Absolutely! I picked up a record cleaning machine (VPI) and plan to do a big batch of cleaning...will take pics when i do that!
KahunaCanuck is offline  
post #87 of 281 Old 07-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Member
 
thenish03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Kahuna, thanks for sharing your 2channel setup. Curious, being a McIntosh guy, if you had given any consideration to their MS750? Aside from the limited hdd space, in comparison to the Olive 4HD, the MS750 seems like a pretty good unit.

Nish
thenish03 is offline  
post #88 of 281 Old 07-08-2010, 09:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

I have sold my Musical Fidelity KW500 Integrated, and am selling my KW25 Transport/DAC. I have a Marantz (Clearaudio)TT15 turntable I am keeping as well as B&W 805s (for now) & Rel 305 sub.

I have gone McIntosh with the new setup...C500t Pre, 2 MC501 monos, MEN220 Room eq, PS Audio PPP and a Olive 4HD music server...along with Wireworld cables of course. Also ordered a custom stand from Steve Blynn...

Can't wait to get it all!

Congrats!! Nothing like getting new toys

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #89 of 281 Old 07-08-2010, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
KahunaCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: White Rock, BC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenish03 View Post

Kahuna, thanks for sharing your 2channel setup. Curious, being a McIntosh guy, if you had given any consideration to their MS750? Aside from the limited hdd space, in comparison to the Olive 4HD, the MS750 seems like a pretty good unit.

Nish

I think it is pretty good, but it can't handle hi rez files, FLAC, and is based on Escient technology that is now dead. The Olive seems more modern to me and I like the screen. However, it comes with a 30 day try out period, so who knows!
KahunaCanuck is offline  
post #90 of 281 Old 07-08-2010, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
KahunaCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: White Rock, BC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Congrats!! Nothing like getting new toys

Thanks...looking forward to it...!
KahunaCanuck is offline  
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Jvc , Classe Ct Ssp Processor , Mcintosh Labs , B W , Jl Audio Fathom F113 Gloss 13 5 Inch Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off