Kahuna's Theatre - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 281 Old 07-09-2010, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I don't think I ever asked, but do the 501s run hot in your system? A dealer in my area is selling his demo pair at 20% off and, I'm actually thinking about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 281 Old 07-09-2010, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Hehe. You guys crack me up. To all the HT enthusiasts, I salute you.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #93 of 281 Old 07-09-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

I have gone McIntosh with the new setup...C500t Pre, 2 MC501 monos, MEN220 Room eq, PS Audio PPP and a Olive 4HD music server...along with Wireworld cables of course. Also ordered a custom stand from Steve Blynn...

Can't wait to get it all!

Hey KC, that's quite a system you're putting together. Congrats. The Olive has piqued my interest. Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #94 of 281 Old 07-11-2010, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I don't think I ever asked, but do the 501s run hot in your system? A dealer in my area is selling his demo pair at 20% off and, I'm actually thinking about it.

I answered you in Wabo's thread, but yes, they run cool! Highly unlikely you will see any heat coming off of them. What I luv about the Mc's are that I can't imagine ever selling them...there aren't a lot of my components I would say that about. First time you hook them up in your room and listen to them you will be mesmerized by the sound, and of course, the gorgeous blue meters!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #95 of 281 Old 07-11-2010, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Hey KC, that's quite a system you're putting together. Congrats. The Olive has piqued my interest. Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Thanks bud!

More info will be forthcoming shortly...you know how much fun it is when you have pulled the trigger and made the decisions and just have to wait for everything to arrive...soon!

post #96 of 281 Old 07-12-2010, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I answered you in Wabo's thread, but yes, they run cool! Highly unlikely you will see any heat coming off of them. What I luv about the Mc's are that I can't imagine ever selling them...there aren't a lot of my components I would say that about. First time you hook them up in your room and listen to them you will be mesmerized by the sound, and of course, the gorgeous blue meters!

That's good to hear. Last night I became convinced that if I do go ahead and replace my amps, the new ones must run cool. Hot amps plus a plasma in a not-that-large room (14x18.5) isn't good, especially in the summer.

And I looked up your B&Ws to compare specs with my Mirages (yes, despite their cost and my not-necessarily stable work environment, I've resumed researching the Macs) and I think the 501 would indeed work with them. I did the same thing with Waboman's speakers and that left me pretty convinced; now I'm very convinced. By the way, I hope you had help getting the 800Ds set up (225 lbs!).

post #97 of 281 Old 07-13-2010, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That's good to hear. Last night I became convinced that if I do go ahead and replace my amps, the new ones must run cool. Hot amps plus a plasma in a not-that-large room (14x18.5) isn't good, especially in the summer.

And I looked up your B&Ws to compare specs with my Mirages (yes, despite their cost and my not-necessarily stable work environment, I've resumed researching the Macs) and I think the 501 would indeed work with them. I did the same thing with Waboman's speakers and that left me pretty convinced; now I'm very convinced. By the way, I hope you had help getting the 800Ds set up (225 lbs!).

Ya, the 800Ds were quite a chore to get into place...they aren't going anywhere! It's funny heat wise what I get the most heat off of is my PS3 when it is running...and my cable box. I have a low profile fan that i bought that sits above the cablebox and below the PS3 that sucks the heat out and shoots it out the back...works well!

post #98 of 281 Old 07-15-2010, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

It's interesting to me that such sensitive speakers as the 800Ds can be so power-hungry. They'll take up to 1000w, yet run on as little as 50w.

post #99 of 281 Old 07-15-2010, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

It is strange! I think the more current they get the more detailed they get and the larger the soundstage becomes. So it isn't that they won't work with low wattage amps, but that the more current they get, the more alive they become.

Still thinking about them hey Pre?

post #100 of 281 Old 07-16-2010, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

It's the usual. What I have works and sounds good, but upgrade-itis is still with me, though not as strong as before. The longer I ponder this the more angles I see. The dealer is selling his demo 501s at 20% off; add in the necessary system reconfiguration, tax & delivery, it's a bit less than 3 month's pay (after taxes). I'd have to empty my checking account almost, an unwise thing to do.

This is why the Odysseys have appeal. Factory-direct, good sound, individually biased to fit my system, and I can get 2 pair of Stratos Extremes for less than the demo 501s (I bi-amp with 2 pair of B&Ks currently). Plus, the Extreme version (200wpc) uses parts found in the Parasound JC 1. The Emotiva XPA-1 costs even less, also factory-direct, and offers the same power as the 501. A different sound, though, as the character is more neutral according to reports (and 1 review).

It may be I'll keep at this until the info saturation gets me and I either turn off and stay with the B&Ks or a light goes on and I buy something else.

post #101 of 281 Old 07-16-2010, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

FYI, I have heard that the 501s are being replaced with much more expensive models this fall (MC651 & MC801)...so be aware the pricing on 501s (used) could actually go up, or at least stay where they are now...

post #102 of 281 Old 07-17-2010, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FYI, I have heard that the 501s are being replaced with much more expensive models this fall (MC651 & MC801)...so be aware the pricing on 501s (used) could actually go up, or at least stay where they are now...

Then, perhaps new ones would go down a bit? We'll see. I do have other options.

post #103 of 281 Old 07-17-2010, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

I wouldn't count on them going down...the new ones won't show till the end of the year, and will be priced way higher.

I spent the day setting up the new 2 channel setup...still missing a few key ingredients, the new rack for one...so it is a temp setup...but I am luvving it!

post #104 of 281 Old 07-17-2010, 11:41 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

I wouldn't count on them going down...the new ones won't show till the end of the year, and will be priced way higher.

I spent the day setting up the new 2 channel setup...still missing a few key ingredients, the new rack for one...so it is a temp setup...but I am luvving it!

What speakers are you using for your 2 channel setup?

Frank

post #105 of 281 Old 07-18-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I actually figure that's a more likely scenario. Macs are a different animal from other gear. That demo pair I mentioned will likely be gone by then, and new ones would probably hold their price. But I need to resist the urge to dive into something I'm not ready to do just because of this.

Nevertheless, there's yet another question. The taps on the back have allowance for bare or prepared wire connections, placed in the side access hole. Is that hole large enough for a standard banana pin?

By the way, are you considering the same style rack for the new 2-channel setup as you have in the HT? The same style might make sense in the same room; but if it's a different room perhaps you'd consider a different look.

post #106 of 281 Old 07-18-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

What speakers are you using for your 2 channel setup?

Currently using B&W 805s with a REL R305 sub, I am stuck in a room with a actual bookcase built in to the wall, and have pushed the WAF as far as I can...I have listened to the new diamond versions and liked them, but didn't want to change everything at once...more fun to see what the old ones could do first...then I will probably look at options...

post #107 of 281 Old 07-18-2010, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I actually figure that's a more likely scenario. Macs are a different animal from other gear. That demo pair I mentioned will likely be gone by then, and new ones would probably hold their price. But I need to resist the urge to dive into something I'm not ready to do just because of this.

Nevertheless, there's yet another question. The taps on the back have allowance for bare or prepared wire connections, placed in the side access hole. Is that hole large enough for a standard banana pin?

By the way, are you considering the same style rack for the new 2-channel setup as you have in the HT? The same style might make sense in the same room; but if it's a different room perhaps you'd consider a different look.

The taps allow bananas straight down...I have locking ones in my theater and they fit fine. I have spades on my 2 channel system which work well, and in addition have bananas from my REL sub speak on connection which also fit on the taps.

I currently have a basic Salamander but ordered a Steve Blynn custom double wide rack (he is on ago a lot), that is black anodized aluminum with maple cherry stained shelves...should be quite different!

Take your time on the amps...you have to decide what is right for you...just wanted to give you the info so you know...there is a lot of Mc talk on audio aficionado...

post #108 of 281 Old 07-18-2010, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The taps allow bananas straight down...I have locking ones in my theater and they fit fine. I have spades on my 2 channel system which work well, and in addition have bananas from my REL sub speak on connection which also fit on the taps.

I currently have a basic Salamander but ordered a Steve Blynn custom double wide rack (he is on ago a lot), that is black anodized aluminum with maple cherry stained shelves...should be quite different!

Take your time on the amps...you have to decide what is right for you...just wanted to give you the info so you know...there is a lot of Mc talk on audio aficionado...

I was hoping to bi-wire with my existing cables if I wanted the Macs, one pair straight down, the other in the hole of the tap. That would save money.

post #109 of 281 Old 07-19-2010, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hey KahunaCanuck,

I've been meaning to post my accolades at the very impressive system you have put together but I just can not seem to find the right words so this will have to do for now.

and this

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #110 of 281 Old 07-20-2010, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Haha, Thank you!

McLuvin!

post #111 of 281 Old 08-13-2010, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps it's insane, but I'm planning to go hear the 501s tomorrow. I don't own any of the components in the store's system, but figure it'll be a different perspective. The demo pair is still there, and I'll see how that compares with a new one price-wise.

post #112 of 281 Old 08-13-2010, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Perhaps it's insane, but I'm planning to go hear the 501s tomorrow. I don't own any of the components in the store's system, but figure it'll be a different perspective. The demo pair is still there, and I'll see how that compares with a new one price-wise.

Auditions are cool, you'll have fun!

Just an idea: like you say, it'll be a different perspective because of the different components. Could you bring your amp with you, this way there will be at least a constant in this equation and thus you will be able to spot any differences plus get a better idea of what to expect?

Let us know how it goes!

post #113 of 281 Old 08-13-2010, 10:03 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Currently using B&W 805s with a REL R305 sub, I am stuck in a room with a actual bookcase built in to the wall, and have pushed the WAF as far as I can...I have listened to the new diamond versions and liked them, but didn't want to change everything at once...more fun to see what the old ones could do first...then I will probably look at options...

Frank

post #114 of 281 Old 08-14-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I'm back from my audition of the Mac 501s. It was interesting. None of the equipment was anything I own, so it would challenge me a bit to discern anything. The speakers were from a company called Adam, a relatively new brand, featuring ribbon tweeters and midrange, with built-in powered subs. The front end was DCS digital with a Mac preamp. Nordost cables filled things out.

Despite the $20,000 or so MSRP, I didn't like the speakers. Too bright for my tastes, but the general specs weren't that far off from my Mirage M-3si: same bass (30 Hz) and sensitivity (87 db); the Adams do go to a higher frequency (50 vs. 30 KHz), and the impedance is lower (4 ohm vs. 6 ohm, though the M-3si's minimum is 4).

I tried to ignore the brightness (which gave me a headache) and focused instead on the sound from a detail and nuance perspective, and took some very familiar tracks, 3 of which I always use: "The Strife is O'er" from For God and Country; Hymns of Joy (organ, brass & percussion); "Fanfare for the Common Man" by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra; "Hallucinations" from Eliane Elias' Cross Currents (jazz sextet); and "Dat Dere" from Sheila Jordan's Portrait of Sheila (vocal, bass). I compared what I heard to my memory of those tracks with my B&K M-200s. The preamp volume was at either 42 or 34 during the session, and the Mac meters never went past 5 watts of output that I saw. I played the tracks 2x, once to get a general feel for the system's sound, then to listen critically.

Basically, the 501 sounded to me like a more dynamic, more detailed B&K. The general sound is quite similar, as both have a tube-like quality, but there were differences. On "Fanfare," I could hear into the brass perhaps a bit more than I remember; a bit more separation among the various horns. The second track from the ASO disc (I snuck this in), the quiet parts didn't seem as quiet as I hear them at home. The decay on the Elias track at the end was longer than I remember. More information retrieved (maybe the Nordost, not the Macs?).

But the big thing was dynamics. During "Hallucinations" there is a Jack DeJohnette drum solo, and here the 501 distinguished itself. When Jack thwacked the drum, it was thwacked. When Sheila Jordan hit a transient on a word, it sounded more live; the "D"s and "P"s popped, but in a natural way, not artificial. By comparison, I remember these sounds on my B&Ks as more polite, less dynamic.

Bottom line: I bought the store's last pair. Now, I must reconfigure my system and figure out what to do with my B&Ks.

post #115 of 281 Old 08-14-2010, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Well, I'm back from my audition of the Mac 501s. It was interesting. None of the equipment was anything I own, so it would challenge me a bit to discern anything. The speakers were from a company called Adam, a relatively new brand, featuring ribbon tweeters and midrange, with built-in powered subs. The front end was DCS digital with a Mac preamp. Nordost cables filled things out.

Despite the $20,000 or so MSRP, I didn't like the speakers. Too bright for my tastes, but the general specs weren't that far off from my Mirage M-3si: same bass (30 Hz) and sensitivity (87 db); the Adams do go to a higher frequency (50 vs. 30 KHz), and the impedance is lower (4 ohm vs. 6 ohm, though the M-3si's minimum is 4).

I tried to ignore the brightness (which gave me a headache) and focused instead on the sound from a detail and nuance perspective, and took some very familiar tracks, 3 of which I always use: "The Strife is O'er" from For God and Country; Hymns of Joy (organ, brass & percussion); "Fanfare for the Common Man" by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra; "Hallucinations" from Eliane Elias' Cross Currents (jazz sextet); and "Dat Dere" from Sheila Jordan's Portrait of Sheila (vocal, bass). I compared what I heard to my memory of those tracks with my B&K M-200s. The preamp volume was at either 42 or 34 during the session, and the Mac meters never went past 5 watts of output that I saw. I played the tracks 2x, once to get a general feel for the system's sound, then to listen critically.

Basically, the 501 sounded to me like a more dynamic, more detailed B&K. The general sound is quite similar, as both have a tube-like quality, but there were differences. On "Fanfare," I could hear into the brass perhaps a bit more than I remember; a bit more separation among the various horns. The second track from the ASO disc (I snuck this in), the quiet parts didn't seem as quiet as I hear them at home. The decay on the Elias track at the end was longer than I remember. More information retrieved (maybe the Nordost, not the Macs?).

But the big thing was dynamics. During "Hallucinations" there is a Jack DeJohnette drum solo, and here the 501 distinguished itself. When Jack thwacked the drum, it was thwacked. When Sheila Jordan hit a transient on a word, it sounded more live; the "D"s and "P"s popped, but in a natural way, not artificial. By comparison, I remember these sounds on my B&Ks as more polite, less dynamic.

Bottom line: I bought the store's last pair. Now, I must reconfigure my system and figure out what to do with my B&Ks.

See what happens when us men go out hunting?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #116 of 281 Old 08-14-2010, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
prepress, congratulations!! Take some pics with the new toys when you have a chance!

post #117 of 281 Old 08-15-2010, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Kahuna, I need to ask how long the stock power cord is that comes with the 501. It's important for configuration purposes, and I don't see this info in the manual. Thanks.

post #118 of 281 Old 08-15-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats Prepress! I think you will find the 501s sound better in your system than on the store setup...I have not heard the Adams, but have read a lot on the Nordost and they tend to be on the detailed/forward side of the equation...combined with a forward speaker it is not going to sound good.

The stock power cord 7 ft long.

We need pix!

post #119 of 281 Old 08-16-2010, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Congrats Prepress! I think you will find the 501s sound better in your system than on the store setup...I have not heard the Adams, but have read a lot on the Nordost and they tend to be on the detailed/forward side of the equation...combined with a forward speaker it is not going to sound good.

The stock power cord 7 ft long.

We need pix!

Thanks for the info. The cord might just make it to the outlet. It'll be tight, though. I'm hoping to avoid using an extension or buying aftermarket cords. One of my objections to the 501s was the necessity (and expense) of reconfiguring my system to accommodate them, and probably the source of my twinge of buyer's remorse, i.e., "Why didn't you get the Odysseys? No hassles with those."

Speaking of reconfiguring: do you use the terminal connections cover? How big are those openings? I have some old Tara Labs RSC I can use, but if those openings are too small then I have to buy new speaker cable (see how much trouble these 501s are?).

post #120 of 281 Old 08-17-2010, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

I don't use the covers at all...you don't need to.

Pick up a used Richard Grey 400p sometime, they go for about $375 on Agon...that is what I have my 501s plugged into.

It will all be worth it when you see those blue meters movin!

Cheers!

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Jvc , Classe Ct Ssp Processor , Mcintosh Labs , B W , Jl Audio Fathom F113 Gloss 13 5 Inch Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - F113 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page