post #91 of 225 Old 01-31-2012, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

And THAT is why we put good power protection on our stuff. I have Furman equipment on my stereo and video equipment, and Tripplite on my computer stuff. An old Mondial Magic Brick saved my previous TV from an August 2008 thunderstorm's wrath (my unprotected cable modem wasn't so fortunate, but Time Warner replaced it).

I still like the cabinets, by the way.

Thanks I like the cabinet too. We had to air out the house to get rid of the smell from the FIOS Box, but it was great to watch Real Steel and know the Power conditioner did it's job.

My meager set up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 225 Old 09-11-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's been a while since I have posted any updates on my system and I have added a new sub, but there is a story with this addition. I was going through Craigslist not looking to upgrade anything, when I came upon a post that said new Klipsch SW-310 for $189.00. When I read the details the post indicated that sub had a bad amp from the start and never worked. I was up for a challange and offered the seller $140.00 and he took it. So I bought the sub home and removed the amp and tested the driver to ensure it worked and it did. I then hooked up a spare sub amp I had and tested the drivers further and again the driver checked out. I called Klipsch to see the cost of repair or replacement. I was told the repair would cost $175 to $ 275 and a new amp was $236. I went for the new amp and it was delivered today. I installed the new amp and the sub is fully functional. The new amp carries a year warrenty. Total investment was $376.00 on a Sub that retails for $1050.00 and is on line for $500.00 maybe i should have just purchased a new sub for the same money I used to purchase and fix this one, but it was fun working on it and it sound sooo much better then my old Polk PSW 110. Off to the attic for the old sub.

The new Sub prior to removing the amp.

inside the sub showing the sub driver and two passive radiators

The old amp after removal. The amp burned out due to the power LED being burned by the hot glue that was used to keep it in place.

The sub in it's new home after the repair

pcweber111 likes this.

My meager set up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 225 Old 09-12-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Nice I love finding deals like that. smile.gif How does it sound now compared to the old sub? I mean I know it's better but what specifically have you noticed?

post #94 of 225 Old 09-12-2012, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Nice I love finding deals like that. smile.gif How does it sound now compared to the old sub? I mean I know it's better but what specifically have you noticed?

pcweber,
It is alway fun to find treasures like this every once in a while. The new sub is tighter and not as boomy.. I have only had about hour of listening with it after running the Audyssey. The manual says the preferred placement is in a corner, but I think makes it a bit too strong.. I will move it around to see if it lessens it a bit. It is a lot more powerful then the old Polk and really shakes the walls. I like it! biggrin.gif JT

My meager set up

post #95 of 225 Old 09-14-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 519
With your woodworking expertise, you shouldn't be buying subs, you should be making the subwoofer cabinets and then buying the drivers and amplifiers separately and installing them. Seriously, you will get a much better sub for less money. If I had the tools and the talent, that is what I would do. Check out the DIY subs and speakers section, look at the different designs for subs, you can make something that would look nicer then your present sub and perform higher without costing a fortune.
post #96 of 225 Old 09-14-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

With your woodworking expertise, you shouldn't be buying subs, you should be making the subwoofer cabinets and then buying the drivers and amplifiers separately and installing them. Seriously, you will get a much better sub for less money. If I had the tools and the talent, that is what I would do. Check out the DIY subs and speakers section, look at the different designs for subs, you can make something that would look nicer then your present sub and perform higher without costing a fortune.

ShadyJ, thank you for the compliment. I haven't thought about making my own sub, but it make sense. I will definitely look at the DIY sub page. Thanks for the suggestion.. JT

My meager set up

post #97 of 225 Old 11-03-2012, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is a picture of my reduced HT since Sandy came for an unwelcome visit. We have not had power for 6 days.. Well at least we have TV, internet and phone service while my generator is working. Using a 32" LCD with FIOS box!! I feel blessed to have minor damage compared to others!

My meager set up

post #98 of 225 Old 11-03-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Good to see you guys are ok. There seems to be a lot of collateral damage from this storm. Seems similar to what happened back with Ike here in Texas but over a much broader area. Mother nature is amazingly powerful.

post #99 of 225 Old 11-04-2012, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the good wishes. This storm has had a heavy impact on the region and put life into perspective. We still have nearly 1.5 million without power in NJ a week later and thousands are homeless. Gas lines are 2 to 3 hours long. It’s like the early 70s during the gas shortage. But like I said my family has been blessed.smile.gif

My meager set up

post #100 of 225 Old 11-05-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm back up and running again! My power was restored tonight just in time for the temperature to go below freezing. Now I hope all who were effected by Sandy are soon up and running and have the support they need.

My meager set up

post #101 of 225 Old 12-29-2012, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey man just stopped in to say hey. Haven't seen your thread updated in awhile so no need to let it fall off the first page. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and have a safe and wonderful New Year!

post #102 of 225 Old 12-30-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey man just stopped in to say hey. Haven't seen your thread updated in awhile so no need to let it fall off the first page. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and have a safe and wonderful New Year!

Thanks for thinking of me this holiday season.. My Christmas was good and I'm looking forward to the new year and what new Home Theater equipment I can pick up. Hope you had a great Christmas and a happy and healthy New year. JT

My meager set up

post #103 of 225 Old 01-01-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Happy New Years JT. Here is hoping you have an uneventful 2013 compared to what you had to endure this year with Sandy.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #104 of 225 Old 01-13-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well it didn't take long for me to break the ice on my first upgrade for 2013. I picked up a Panasonic TC-P50UT50 50" Plasma. It fits in the cabinet that I made and it is 20% bigger then the old 46" Plasma that it replaced. Man does it look sweet!!!biggrin.gif

My meager set up

post #105 of 225 Old 01-14-2013, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

Well it didn't take long for me to break the ice on my first upgrade for 2013. I picked up a Panasonic TC-P50UT50 50" Plasma. It fits in the cabinet that I made and it is 20% bigger then the old 46" Plasma that it replaced. Man does it look sweet!!!biggrin.gif

Very nice buddy. It looks like a perfect fit. Enjoy!!!!

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #106 of 225 Old 01-14-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Very nice buddy. It looks like a perfect fit. Enjoy!!!!

Thanks, it does.. It was a pre 50 birthday present. I turn the Big 50 in February and the wife went for it!!

My meager set up

post #107 of 225 Old 01-14-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

Thanks, it does.. It was a pre 50 birthday present. I turn the Big 50 in February and the wife went for it!!

OK old man. Remember when the wife went for something a little more risque when both of you were younger? wink.gif Now she settles for a bigger TV. tongue.gif haha Hope you enjoy it. The funny thing about big displays is after you have them for awhile they seem to get smaller. That's what happen a year after I got my 70".

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #108 of 225 Old 01-14-2013, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, very nice. biggrin.gif

Nothing beats a new upgrade. Gotta love it! smile.gif

post #109 of 225 Old 01-15-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

OK old man. Remember when the wife went for something a little more risque when both of you were younger? wink.gif Now she settles for a bigger TV. tongue.gif haha Hope you enjoy it. The funny thing about big displays is after you have them for awhile they seem to get smaller. That's what happen a year after I got my 70".

Al, it's a sad state of affairs when she settles for the Big screen. It's all good because I have the best wife possible to put up with me and the revolving electronics.

Quote:

Oh, very nice. biggrin.gif

Nothing beats a new upgrade. Gotta love it! smile.gif

You are so right about that. I am really happy with the picture. Now I have to start working on a bigger screen as Al was talking about. but that's going to take time!!LOL

My meager set up

post #110 of 225 Old 02-17-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have made some minor changes to the system recently. I picked up the Roku player and I am very pleased with it. I signed up for Amazon Prime for the instant streaming and have been putting my digital copies of my movies on Vudu. I guess I'm a little late to the streaming party. Though the quality of the video is not Blu Ray it is still pretty good. I then tackled the spaghetti wire behind my entertainment unit. I don't know when the mess occurred, I guess over time. I made new simple speaker cables with Mono Price in wall 14 gage wire and banana plugs. I then removed the mess of wires coming out of the wall behind the entertainment unit and installed 2-Gang 5.1 Surround Sound Distribution Wall Plate and additional speaker wall plates for zone 2 sound and video. It really looks much better. Though it is not the same quality wiring job as I have seen on a lot of the systems on these pages, it is much more organized. Here are some pictures.

This is bundle of wire coming out of the wall.

Before I re-did the wiring

Preparing the wall for the new data boxes and wall plates

The new plate complete

The spaghetti mess untangled
IMG ALT=""]http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/155406/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

My meager set up

post #111 of 225 Old 02-20-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Great wiring job! The space behind my rack is the real final frontier because I'm not sure I'd survive back there. Nuff props on such a clean job, and the thorough pics as well.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #112 of 225 Old 02-20-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Great wiring job! The space behind my rack is the real final frontier because I'm not sure I'd survive back there. Nuff props on such a clean job, and the thorough pics as well.

Thank you kind sir! It's funny after looking at my own pictures I've decided to order more appropriate length cables to clean the back of the cabinet even more. It's crazy how one thing leads to another.

My meager set up

post #113 of 225 Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Posted updated pictures of the cleaned up wiring above. I'm looking for thoughts what I could add or update. I have come into some birthday money and I'm looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance. JT

My meager set up

post #114 of 225 Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Wow, have I been out of touch or what?????

JT, very nice upgrades, very sorry to hear about your power outage last year, thank God you had a generator.

Way cool on the sub deal, you had a Polk 110? Glad to know you're finally getting some bass smile.gif And the suggestion about you making sub cabinets, great idea!

Happy belated, you're almost as old as me now brother! I'll turn 53 this April 1st, I know I know!

So, you want a suggestion?!, pick up a second sub. My wife thought I was kidding when I told her I was getting a second, once I had it up and dialed in to the first, she was very impressed (thank God).

The second sub will even out your bass response, now that you have a real sub :-) maybe it's time to get a second one. You would be amazed at the difference it makes.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #115 of 225 Old 03-07-2013, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Wow, have I been out of touch or what?????

JT, very nice upgrades, very sorry to hear about your power outage last year, thank God you had a generator.

Way cool on the sub deal, you had a Polk 110? Glad to know you're finally getting some bass smile.gif And the suggestion about you making sub cabinets, great idea!

Happy belated, you're almost as old as me now brother! I'll turn 53 this April 1st, I know I know!

So, you want a suggestion?!, pick up a second sub. My wife thought I was kidding when I told her I was getting a second, once I had it up and dialed in to the first, she was very impressed (thank God).

The second sub will even out your bass response, now that you have a real sub :-) maybe it's time to get a second one. You would be amazed at the difference it makes.

The Sub deal was fun and does sound much better then the old Polk that I just sold two weeks ago.

You know it's funny, I turned 50 and signed up for AARP and now I can't remember the password to get into the site! LOL. I was thinking of a second sub or a power Amp. Either way I have to sell some of my old gear in the attic to fund my AV habit!! Do you think I would benefit from a an external power amp and use my AVR as a Pre/Pro?

My meager set up

post #116 of 225 Old 03-07-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know much about your klipsh speakers, but I do know that adding power to my Polks made all the difference in the world.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #117 of 225 Old 03-07-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The Klipsch speakers are very efficient and I have heard that the added power helps to bring out detail. And I figure the amp would be used for future upgrades. What to do, add a second sub or a power amp? That is the question!

My meager set up

post #118 of 225 Old 03-07-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

That is a tough call. I got my amp first, then I got my second amp, then I got my second sub.

post #119 of 225 Old 03-08-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Picked up two open box Blu Ray players at Best Buy last weekend. I replaced my Panny BD-65 with the Panny BDT-310 3D Blu Ray with duel HDMI outputs. It is much faster then the BD-65. I picked up the BDT-310 for $63.00 and the second player was a Panny BD-75 for $24.00 which I sold on Craigslist for $65.00. Slowly building my upgrade fund for then next purchase. biggrin.gif

My meager set up

post #120 of 225 Old 03-09-2013, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Nearly 200% profit? Doesn't get much better than that, bro.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Panasonic Tc P46c2 46 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Boston Acoustics , Polk Audio Psw10 10 Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer With Mini Tool Box , Logitech Harmony 676 Universal Remote Control
Gear in this thread - P46c2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page