Bigham16 Home Theater - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 185 Old 02-19-2011, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Very nice set up. Everything is well put together and very clean looking.

I have a similar cabinet like yours and my PS3 mainly but my 360 as well sometimes have their fans on HIGH because no air is getting in there. I always leave the doors open but I have always wanted to add fans. I saw what you did to yours don't know if the cabinet came with them? If not where did you get yours and what fans are they? Also are they plugged into an ac outlet or are they wired different? I'll be soon adding an Emotiva UPA-7 to my list and definitely don't want to put it in the cabinet without any air getting in there.

Thanks for the help.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 185 Old 02-21-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

One thing I notice is that there's quite a bit of light coming into the room. Is that a problem when watching TV? Any screen reflections, for example?

No issues at all. The day I took the pictures we have about 6 to 8 inches of snow which helped with the natural light. We have picture frames on the far back wall and that is the only time reflections are notice and they are not a distraction to me.

post #93 of 185 Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey Matt and thank you very much. The fans were made for the cabinet. With my old cabinet I purchased a few external USB fans. I don't have the link to where I purchased them but I am sure you can Google it. They worked great, quite, and inexpensive.

On my old cabinet my PS3 would sound like a jet was about to take off when the door was closed and before I cut a hole in the back and added the fans. Fans and circulation make a world of difference.

The fans I have now are plugged into an outlet but my old USB fans, well, plugged into the xbox and PS3 USB's .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPutt View Post

Very nice set up. Everything is well put together and very clean looking.

I have a similar cabinet like yours and my PS3 mainly but my 360 as well sometimes have their fans on HIGH because no air is getting in there. I always leave the doors open but I have always wanted to add fans. I saw what you did to yours don't know if the cabinet came with them? If not where did you get yours and what fans are they? Also are they plugged into an ac outlet or are they wired different? I'll be soon adding an Emotiva UPA-7 to my list and definitely don't want to put it in the cabinet without any air getting in there.

Thanks for the help.

Matt

post #94 of 185 Old 02-26-2011, 10:29 AM

Liked: 10
Bigham,
Nice setup.....can you tell me who makes the unit that your turntable sits on. I apologize if you have mentioned it already, I didn't read every post here.
post #95 of 185 Old 02-28-2011, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you Shovel74. Just sent you PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel74 View Post

Bigham,
Nice setup.....can you tell me who makes the unit that your turntable sits on. I apologize if you have mentioned it already, I didn't read every post here.

post #96 of 185 Old 03-03-2011, 11:27 AM

Liked: 10
That is a great setup. Everything is so clean and elegant. Can you tell me how high up your TV is? I'm getting mine put on the wall today and i'm not sure if i have the right height.
post #97 of 185 Old 03-07-2011, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you very much!! Just sent a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omard. View Post

That is a great setup. Everything is so clean and elegant. Can you tell me how high up your TV is? I'm getting mine put on the wall today and i'm not sure if i have the right height.

post #98 of 185 Old 03-28-2011, 11:46 AM

Liked: 17
bigham you have a beautiful setup it looks amazing, watching movies must sound immense good job.
post #99 of 185 Old 03-28-2011, 12:44 PM

Liked: 16
Not sure if i posted or comment on your setup,but what a amazing system.
My mouth just drop
post #100 of 185 Old 03-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
awesome set up.. if i ever hit the lotto i would get this
post #101 of 185 Old 03-29-2011, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you to all three. I really appreciate it. Just got an Oppo 93 and a SuperCube II (blowout sale at BB). I hope to take pictures soon.

Oh, and a Samsung 2011 PN51D7000 for the bedroom. No sound system in bedroom. Wife said no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiedee View Post

bigham you have a beautiful setup it looks amazing, watching movies must sound immense good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDigitalGuy05 View Post

Not sure if i posted or comment on your setup,but what a amazing system.
My mouth just drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3 View Post

awesome set up.. if i ever hit the lotto i would get this

post #102 of 185 Old 03-31-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I just picked up a 51D7000 Samsung Plasma. I posted this in the "Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD7000 Thread" thread for this TV but thought I would throw it on here as it is a new addtion to the home. Ignore the Jersey Shore.

"Link" Here are the pictures. They were taken in the same light, camera, video feed, and about the same angle. I know photos don't do much for this kind of thing but this is pretty accurate to what my eyes see when watching both sets. The wife wouldn't let me change the station in the bed room as I do not watch that crap

post #103 of 185 Old 03-31-2011, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post

Ignore the Jersey Shore.

I do, and with ease.

The Samsung seems like a winner. But is it actually a 51" screen? Looking at the model number (51D7000) suggests that.
post #104 of 185 Old 04-01-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

LOL, thanks on the JS. Yes, 51" on the money

Spec Sheet

Quote:

I do, and with ease.

The Samsung seems like a winner. But is it actually a 51" screen? Looking at the model number (51D7000) suggests that.

post #105 of 185 Old 04-30-2011, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I added new pictures of my new TV, Samsung PN64D8000, to my first post and here are some more

Last edited by Bigham16; 08-28-2014 at 04:01 PM.
post #106 of 185 Old 04-30-2011, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here are some pictures of my PN51D7000 in my bedroom

You can see the 64D8000 and 51D7000 in this picture from the bedroom.

(Photo Deleted)

Last edited by Bigham16; 08-28-2014 at 04:02 PM.
post #107 of 185 Old 04-30-2011, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Really nice pictures. Really nice. Excluding Jersey Shore, of course. They're all very clean and organized-looking. That screen with the balloons in it must've looked awesome in person.

How are the Def Techs doing, by the way?
post #108 of 185 Old 05-02-2011, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you very much prepress!!!! Yeah I don't think I will ever out live the Jersey Shore. I should delete those pictures .

I was running the Disney WOW BD and that scene came on at the right time as I was taking pictures. This TV is really something else!

The Def Techs are still my best friends.

Quote:

Really nice pictures. Really nice. Excluding Jersey Shore, of course. They're all very clean and organized-looking. That screen with the balloons in it must've looked awesome in person.

How are the Def Techs doing, by the way?

post #109 of 185 Old 05-02-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I should also ask, are you running the Def Techs passively or with built-in subs active, since you have separate subs as well?
post #110 of 185 Old 05-02-2011, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have messed around running them passively but the SVS just sounds better. I have the SuperCube II on the other side to help with balance and the SCII was on sale.

But on a side note I have two BP7004s (closeout sale at BB ) at my parents house and running them passively. They are set up for a 2 channel in their media room and it blows the wall mounted B&W's out of the water. Much better sound to my ears. The bass that comes out of them is incredible but not SVS good

I live in a town home otherwise the 7004s would be hooked up to my record player but no room...well I have room but the wife said "hell NO!"

I would love to hear your setup!!! Those speakers are sweet!!!!

Quote:
I should also ask, are you running the Def Techs passively or with built-in subs active, since you have separate subs as well?

post #111 of 185 Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have messed around running them passively but the SVS just sounds better. I have the SuperCube II on the other side to help with balance and the SCII was on sale.

But on a side note I have two BP7004s (closeout sale at BB ) at my parents house and running them passively. They are set up for a 2 channel in their media room and it blows the wall mounted B&W's out of the water. Much better sound to my ears. The bass that comes out of them is incredible but not SVS good

I live in a town home otherwise the 7004s would be hooked up to my record player but no room...well I have room but the wife said "hell NO!"

I would love to hear your setup!!! Those speakers are sweet!!!!

Thanks. I'm a big fan of bipolar speakers, having lived with my Mirages for so long. Bipolars are more room-independent than other designs and have less critical setup needs; I'd imagine you've noticed that yourself. So if my M-3sis went down I'd be looking at Definitive Technology as a replacement. Using the built-in subs requires that the BP7004s (or any other Def Tech) be plugged in, I believe, but I'd feel like I was wasting the MC501s I have that way. Plus, the amps have the high-current outlets on my power conditioners taken already. Still, I know things would sound good regardless, and I have a smaller space to deal with so perhaps any extra "oomph" would be redundant.

Congratulations again on your setup. It makes me wish I had more space to work with!
post #112 of 185 Old 05-06-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Here is my setup. *Updated 4/30/11

Speakers:
Definitive Technology
Center: C/L/R 2500
L/R Fronts: BP 7002s
Surround Sides: ProMonitor 1000s
Surround Backs: ProMonitor 1000s

Subwoofers: SVS PB12-Plus and Def Tech SuperCube II

Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-33
Amps: Emotive XPA-3 and XPA-5

Hey Bigham16, gorgeous setup. I'm really impressed with your speaker setup, and would love to have something similar. However, when I searched for your model speakers it seems they're no longer available? Could someone please direct me toward today's equivalent to those? Also, I'm wondering if those are what the amps are for, and if a similar setup is possible with just the speakers and receiver? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm still learning the audio side of the home theatre experience.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #113 of 185 Old 05-06-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you Spanbuer very much!!

Yes, Def Tech has a new line out. Here is the link for the ones that are equivalent to mine: http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...ctid=BP-8080ST.

Yes, the Emotive amps are to run my speakers. Emotive was having their annual sale so I jumped all over it.

Yes, you can definitely run the speakers with a good receiver. You could also skip the sub because the towers have built in subs that will shake the leaves off a tree...no joke.

Let me know if you have any more question and I will more than happy to answer the best I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Hey Bigham16, gorgeous setup. I'm really impressed with your speaker setup, and would love to have something similar. However, when I searched for your model speakers it seems they're no longer available? Could someone please direct me toward today's equivalent to those? Also, I'm wondering if those are what the amps are for, and if a similar setup is possible with just the speakers and receiver? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm still learning the audio side of the home theatre experience.

post #114 of 185 Old 05-06-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
Nice job Bigham! I like how clean everything looks. We have the same beast of a sub.
post #115 of 185 Old 05-06-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you drewTT!!! Just posted on your's!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Nice job Bigham! I like how clean everything looks. We have the same beast of a sub.

post #116 of 185 Old 05-06-2011, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Thank you Spanbuer very much!!

Yes, Def Tech has a new line out. Here is the link for the ones that are equivalent to mine: http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...ctid=BP-8080ST.

Yes, the Emotive amps are to run my speakers. Emotive was having their annual sale so I jumped all over it.

Yes, you can definitely run the speakers with a good receiver. You could also skip the sub because the towers have built in subs that will shake the leaves off a tree...no joke.

Let me know if you have any more question and I will more than happy to answer the best I can.

Awesome, thanks man! I really love the look and idea of the floor-standing speakers, but even the cheapest 5.1 system from Definitive Technology could very well be total overkill for me (I saw the BD-8020ST system on the site you linked me to, MSRP $2195). I think I'll start a thread this evening that includes a photo of my living room so that people might be able to suggest the least expensive system that'll get the job done. I don't want to hijack your thread too much, so thanks again!

Click here for my home theater setup
post #117 of 185 Old 05-06-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

LOL!! No problem and let me know if you need more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Awesome, thanks man! I really love the look and idea of the floor-standing speakers, but even the cheapest 5.1 system from Definitive Technology could very well be total overkill for me (I saw the BD-8020ST system on the site you linked me to, MSRP $2195). I think I'll start a thread this evening that includes a photo of my living room so that people might be able to suggest the least expensive system that'll get the job done. I don't want to hijack your thread too much, so thanks again!

post #118 of 185 Old 05-06-2011, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 344
That TV looks gorgeous in an already spectacular setup! With DefTech, SVS, Emotiva, you just can't lose. Throw a Samsung 64-incher into the mix, and it is indeed the nicely gilded icing on a cake of diamonds.
post #119 of 185 Old 05-08-2011, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Man BrolicBeast!!! I am lost for words. Thank you very much for the awesome complement!!! Returning the fav is going to be hard to match yours!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

That TV looks gorgeous in an already spectacular setup! With DefTech, SVS, Emotiva, you just can't lose. Throw a Samsung 64-incher into the mix, and it is indeed the nicely gilded icing on a cake of diamonds.

post #120 of 185 Old 06-28-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Picked up a VSX-53 yesterday. Only had time to hook it up. Here are a few camera pictures.

Tags
Definitive Technology , Svs Pb12 Plus Black Oak 12 Inch 800 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Pioneer Elite Sc 57 Sc57 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black , Logitech Harmony 900 Universal Remote Control Infrared Harmony 900 Rem W Rf Receiver
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page