Bigham16 Home Theater - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 178 Old 07-01-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What did you do with the VSX-23? What are the differences between the two? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 178 Old 07-01-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, did you spray paint the silver of the emotiva amps? If so what did you use? Thanks!
post #123 of 178 Old 07-01-2011, 11:54 PM

that is one expensive TV stand! looks very nice though
post #124 of 178 Old 07-03-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I am going to give it to my in-laws. They are building a new home and my father in law wanted to do surround in the living room. 3D is the big one, 2 sub outs, and the looks so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management View Post

What did you do with the VSX-23? What are the differences between the two? Thanks!

No, they have black pieces you can order and change out with the silver. They have a sale going on right now as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management View Post

Also, did you spray paint the silver of the emotiva amps? If so what did you use? Thanks!

Thank you. I actully got a refurb and saved a few hundred. Just call Standout Designs and they might have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildimsum7 View Post

that is one expensive TV stand! looks very nice though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #125 of 178 Old 07-03-2011, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Well man, is it hot enough for ya? lol with my tv and system on the AC sometimes kicks into overdrive to cool the place down. Not to mention I live on the 3rd floor too but eh, it's Texas, we're used to it by now right? lol

Anyway man I love the new Sammy in your living room. I was thinking I might get the 59" version (D6500) pretty soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #126 of 178 Old 07-04-2011, 02:16 PM

Long time lurker here on avs forums,but i have to say is nice setup. I agree,that entertainment center looks great.
post #127 of 178 Old 07-13-2011, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Dude it is sooo hot!!!! It just seems to feel hotter and hotter every day. You will love the D6500. The picture on this years Sammy's are breath taking to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Well man, is it hot enough for ya? lol with my tv and system on the AC sometimes kicks into overdrive to cool the place down. Not to mention I live on the 3rd floor too but eh, it's Texas, we're used to it by now right? lol

Anyway man I love the new Sammy in your living room. I was thinking I might get the 59" version (D6500) pretty soon.

Thank you very much!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGuru View Post

Long time lurker here on avs forums,but i have to say is nice setup. I agree,that entertainment center looks great.

post #128 of 178 Old 07-23-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just updated my first post with new pictures of my dedicated media room. Thank you for looking

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1227548/definitive-technology-setup-by-bigham16#post_18146050

post #129 of 178 Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post

Just updated my first post with new pictures of my dedicated media room. Thank you for looking
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1227548/definitive-technology-setup-by-bigham16#post_18146050

That room is outstanding. You have come a long way from the beginning. JT

My meager set up

post #130 of 178 Old 07-23-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Very nice dude. That rooms looks killer. How are the acoustics in there? Looks like you have it treated...

post #131 of 178 Old 07-23-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you JT!! I has come a long way and a lot faster than I would have ever imagined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

That room is outstanding. You have come a long way from the beginning. JT

Thanks drewTT!! Yes, I have the room treated. I want to get bass traps but that will be later on. No thanks to you I went and picked up two Nest Thermostats for the house today . smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Very nice dude. That rooms looks killer. How are the acoustics in there? Looks like you have it treated...

post #132 of 178 Old 07-23-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Thanks drewTT!! Yes, I have the room treated. I want to get bass traps but that will be later on. No thanks to you I went and picked up two Nest Thermostats for the house today . smile.gif

Hahaha...right on. They are pretty awesome.

post #133 of 178 Old 07-24-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I looked at the new (to me) photos on the first page. That's looking really nice. Of course with most Def Techs, you don't really need a sub in my opinion since they go very deep in the bass. Does you sub help much, or have you set up the crossover at a higher point to take advantage of the sub?

post #134 of 178 Old 07-24-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey Prepress! Hope you have been well. Yes, I tried the Def Tech's without the subs for about a week and they sounded good. I don't think anyone would have any issue with the performance that is not on this forum smile.gif. BUT smile.gif the SVS well out preforms the Def Techs alone. I tried the SVS in all positions (it would fit in) and the rear corner was by far the best location. The only issue with the SVS was that I could tell the bass was coming from behind me, no matter the phase or crossover. So I added the Def Tech 2000 to help and it is doing it's job better than I thought it would (tried all locations with this sub as well). Once I added the SMS-1, took me about a week to get right, I have a pretty flat line and there is no localization for the bass at all in the room now.

Side note: I have the Def Tech mains bass knob(?) set to a little over a quarter of the way up(not hooked up through the LFE). The SMS-1 helped with this adjustment so I could set the crossover to 80 for the SVS and 2000. It's just like "very expensive" magic smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I looked at the new (to me) photos on the first page. That's looking really nice. Of course with most Def Techs, you don't really need a sub in my opinion since they go very deep in the bass. Does you sub help much, or have you set up the crossover at a higher point to take advantage of the sub?

post #135 of 178 Old 07-24-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, you're livin' the dream man. Awesome theater. Are you still in Plano? I need to come take a listen sometime. wink.gif

post #136 of 178 Old 07-25-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey pcweber!!! No, moved to Lewisville in January but pretty close to West Plano. Would be great to have another pair of professionally calibrated ears as my wife's ears are not. biggrin.gif I will send you a PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Wow, you're livin' the dream man. Awesome theater. Are you still in Plano? I need to come take a listen sometime. wink.gif

post #137 of 178 Old 07-25-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Prepress! Hope you have been well. Yes, I tried the Def Tech's without the subs for about a week and they sounded good. I don't think anyone would have any issue with the performance that is not on this forum smile.gif. BUT smile.gif the SVS well out preforms the Def Techs alone. I tried the SVS in all positions (it would fit in) and the rear corner was by far the best location. The only issue with the SVS was that I could tell the bass was coming from behind me, no matter the phase or crossover. So I added the Def Tech 2000 to help and it is doing it's job better than I thought it would (tried all locations with this sub as well). Once I added the SMS-1, took me about a week to get right, I have a pretty flat line and there is no localization for the bass at all in the room now.
Side note: I have the Def Tech mains bass knob(?) set to a little over a quarter of the way up(not hooked up through the LFE). The SMS-1 helped with this adjustment so I could set the crossover to 80 for the SVS and 2000. It's just like "very expensive" magic smile.gif

I have read elsewhere that two subs is an ideal arrangement. Wish I could remember where I saw it, but I remember thinking that made sense. Directional bass is not a good thing.

post #138 of 178 Old 10-27-2012, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Updated 9/24/2012

Here is my setup in my new house, moved in 1/27/12.

Speakers:

Definitive Technology

Center: C/L/R 2500

L/R Fronts: BP 7002s

Surround Sides: BP2X

Surround Backs: BP2X
Subwoofers:
SVS PB12-Plus
Def Tech SuperCube 2000
Projector:
Sony HW30AES
Screen:
DragonFly 92"
Receiver:
Pioneer Elite SC-55
Amps:
Emotive XPA-3
Velodyne SMS-1
Components:
PS3 Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, Grande Cable Service, Apple TV, Oppo BDP-93, Pro-Ject Carbon, Darbee Darblet.
Power:
Panamax M5300-PM
Remote:
Logitech Harmony 900
Insulation:

Auralex Great Gramma under SVS

Auralex MoPad Monitor Isolation Pads under SuperCube 2000

ATS Acoustic Panels
Room Size:
18' x 13' with 10' ceiling

Downstairs in hew house, updated 6/23/2012

TV:
Samsung PN64D8000
Componets: PS3, Pioneer VSX-53, Apple TV, TiVo, Panamax M4300-PM
Speakers:
Def Tech ProMonitor 1000s, Left and Righ Mains
Def Tech C/L/R 2002, Center Channel
Def Tech SuperCube II
No Surrounds at this time
TV Stand/Credenza:

Standout Designs Horizon N702 Plus Solid Wood TV Console - Espresso Maple with Whisper II Upgrade Bundle and two Back Extender Kits.

Thank the good Lord for I am blessed to have such an amazing setup...and wife

Just for kicks, older setups

what type of audio rack do you have ?
post #139 of 178 Old 10-27-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Dusty, what's up, haven't seen you on in awhile, just making sure you're not lost in your home theater now. lol

post #140 of 178 Old 11-14-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

VTI makes the rack. It looks cool but is a pain in the ass to move or get behind. It's one of those "set it and hope you never ever have to move it" racks smile.gif.

Here is the link to where I ordered mine from:
http://www.wayfair.com/VTI-BL-Series-Modular-Rack-BL304-VI1005.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb48 View Post

what type of audio rack do you have ?

post #141 of 178 Old 11-14-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey Phil!! I try not to stay on the site for to long because I will find something I "need" for my theater and order it smile.gif

All is good around here. We still need to try and hang out one of these days!!

Take care
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Dusty, what's up, haven't seen you on in awhile, just making sure you're not lost in your home theater now. lol

post #142 of 178 Old 02-20-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Bought some new toys. Picked up the new Sony 3D Sync transmitter for my projector. With this new transmitter I can set it up on top of the projector and not infront of the room. Makes for a much cleaner look and a much better sync.

I did a little cleaning up on the wires around the room. Nothing major but just cleaner.

I also started out with an SVS NSD-12 for about a week. Great sub but was thinking it would be better to have two of the same subs. So the NSD went back and picked up another PB 12 Plus. Two of these are ridiculous. I can't imagine hearing rooms that have more than two or even duel PB 13 Ultra's.

I hope to have new pictures soon, though it really doesn't look any different.

Oh, if you don't already know about this link for the Blu Ray Demo Disc, I would highly recommend it.

post #143 of 178 Old 02-20-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

A really nice-looking setup. I bet it sounds as good as it looks, too. smile.gif

post #144 of 178 Old 02-21-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you prepress!!

post #145 of 178 Old 02-21-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow been awhile Dusty. You still in Plano? I still need to come check out the room. smile.gif

post #146 of 178 Old 07-09-2013, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't recall ever asking, but can you drive your L/R Def Techs full range with the amp, with no external or built-in subs?

post #147 of 178 Old 08-14-2013, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey prepress, sorry for such a delayed response. Not sure how I missed your post.

If I am understanding your question correctly, no, I don't think there is a way but I have not tired or thought about it.

post #148 of 178 Old 08-14-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey stranger lol.

post #149 of 178 Old 08-14-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey prepress, sorry for such a delayed response. Not sure how I missed your post.

If I am understanding your question correctly, no, I don't think there is a way but I have not tired or thought about it.

I downloaded some manuals and even e-mailed Def Tech. You can drive them with just speaker wire and your own amps, which is a good thing. If I ever went this way it'd be the Mythos ST or the BP8080. The 7000sc series is too heavy (162 lbs. shipping weight) and I don't need 11Hz in here. Room's not big enough.

post #150 of 178 Old 03-16-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Added new photos to the first page. (03/16/14)

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1227548/bigham16-home-theater

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Definitive Technology , Svs Pb12 Plus Black Oak 12 Inch 800 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Pioneer Elite Sc 57 Sc57 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black , Logitech Harmony 900 Universal Remote Control Infrared Harmony 900 Rem W Rf Receiver
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page