Bigham16 Home Theater - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 176 Old 05-03-2014, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Installed my height speakers, Golden Ear SuperSat 50c's with Def Tech wall mounts. I really like the effect the heights provide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 176 Old 05-03-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Looking nice, Bigham16.
Bigham16 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #153 of 176 Old 06-10-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just saw your updates. So, what are your thoughts on the Golden Ears VS the Def Techs?
post #154 of 176 Old 06-12-2014, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The Triton II's are quite the upgrade over the DefTech 7002. I really like the sound of the ribbon tweeters and the Triton II's really out shine the 7002's with music.

I was nervous to upgrade all of my speakers because I wasn't sure if the cost would outweigh the performance. I have zero regret and more than happy I made the change.

I did look at the newer DefTech, B&W, Martin Logan's, and almost ordered Sierra towers (never got to demo the Sierra's). The GoldenEar's just sounded better to my ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post
Just saw your updates. So, what are your thoughts on the Golden Ears VS the Def Techs?

post #155 of 176 Old 06-12-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post
The Triton II's are quite the upgrade over the DefTech 7002. I really like the sound of the ribbon tweeters and the Triton II's really out shine the 7002's with music.

I was nervous to upgrade all of my speakers because I wasn't sure if the cost would outweigh the performance. I have zero regret and more than happy I made the change.

I did look at the newer DefTech, B&W, Martin Logan's, and almost ordered Sierra towers (never got to demo the Sierra's). The GoldenEar's just sounded better to my ears.
I was afraid you would say that My wife would kill me if I upgraded at this point, but maybe someday. Actually someday I will
Bigham16 likes this.
post #156 of 176 Old 06-28-2014, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

A question. Are you running the Triton IIs with your amp/receiver alone, or did you plug them in to engage the on-board amps the Tritons have? From the photo, I can't tell if that's speaker cable or a power cord I see (looks to be a power cord).

post #157 of 176 Old 08-26-2014, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Updated my pictures on the first page (08/26/14)

I added more ATS acoustic panels, built a box to raise the center channel up 5", and installed new sconces. I don't think my original pictures had my complete 11.2 set.

Thanks for looking!!

post #158 of 176 Old 08-26-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post
Updated my pictures on the first page (08/26/14)

I added more ATS acoustic panels, built a box to raise the center channel up 5", and installed new sconces. I don't think my original pictures had my complete 11.2 set.

Thanks for looking!!
Room looks great !!! I am obsessive/compulsive with symmetry in my room...you passed the test

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

post #159 of 176 Old 08-26-2014, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hahaha! I am right there with you (obviously)!! Thank You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Room looks great !!! I am obsessive/compulsive with symmetry in my room...you passed the test

post #160 of 176 Old 08-26-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Fantastic, stunning, awesome HT room you have here Bigham. Congrats! Makes me feel like half a man with my humble living room set up (in my sig).

Enjoy!
Bigham16 likes this.

Cheers, Feri

post #161 of 176 Old 08-26-2014, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you mogrof!! The door is always open for the DEQ compare if you are in the area

I do enjoy looking at your set-up. I love the room but I am not much of a reader. More of a picture guy...LOL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
Fantastic, stunning, awesome HT room you have here Bigham. Congrats! Makes me feel like half a man with my humble living room set up (in my sig).

Enjoy!
mogorf likes this.

post #162 of 176 Old 09-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Fantastic space. Black on black is superb!
Bigham16 likes this.

Building a HT with 7.2.4 layout and ◤SEOS-24◥ LCR.
post #163 of 176 Old 09-04-2014, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium View Post
Fantastic space. Black on black is superb!

post #164 of 176 Old 09-04-2014, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
That is a fantastic set up!
Bigham16 likes this.

Vizio m801d
Oppo 103d
Paradigm studio 20's, cc 490, atom monitors, PSA XV15se
post #165 of 176 Old 09-12-2014, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My new toy. Hope to have my 7.2.4 up and running this weekend.

post #166 of 176 Old 09-12-2014, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you Dutch-boy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch-boy View Post
That is a fantastic set up!

post #167 of 176 Old 09-12-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I went back and looked at the photos and equipment listing on the first page. I like this setup, especially for movie viewing. If everything is black or close to it, it will disappear when you're watching anything. The screen will have all the attention. A good choice. This is why I would get black-finished speakers, even if I would like walnut or oak; they'll blend in more, especially important in my room which isn't totally dark when watching anything.
Bigham16 likes this.

post #168 of 176 Old 09-12-2014, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey Prepress! Thanks for chiming in! Yes, you don't seem them at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I went back and looked at the photos and equipment listing on the first page. I like this setup, especially for movie viewing. If everything is black or close to it, it will disappear when you're watching anything. The screen will have all the attention. A good choice. This is why I would get black-finished speakers, even if I would like walnut or oak; they'll blend in more, especially important in my room which isn't totally dark when watching anything.

post #169 of 176 Old 09-15-2014, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here are some pictures of my four height (overhead) speakers and the Marantz 7009. I will type up my impressions soon. These were taken with my phone so they are not that great.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1185.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	263746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1186.jpg
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	263754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1188.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	263762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1190.jpg
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	263770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1191.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	263778  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1194.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	263786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1193.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	263794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1192.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	263802  

post #170 of 176 Old 09-15-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Gratz sir on ur new toys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #171 of 176 Old 09-15-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My impression for 7.2.4 Dolby Surround with the Marantz 7009.

Movies: I watched a number of different clips from movies and was just blown away, I really was! I watched a number of clips from different movies over the weekend that I know well. I didn't include all of them below, just a few.

Need for Speed was the first as it has a lot of helicopters and racing (obviously). Everything in this movie panned or moved seamlessly. It really seemed three dimensional. The cars moving and passing each other never sounded like it was coming from a specific speaker, they just moved around the room. All the helicopter and plane scenes sounded great, coming from the right, left, front, back, up, down and all around.

I watched the beginning or first 10 minutes of Oblivion. After Tom takes off in his ship and enters the storm, it sounded like I was covered in rain, the lighting was coming from all around and above. The best part was after Tom fixed the circle robot(?) on the football field, after it scans the area, it takes off and disappears above and behind you. It was soo cool because the sound of the robot disappearing kept weakening and weakening and weakening, never really disappearing. Great effect that I had never heard before.

One of the cave scenes from Prometheus was amazing as well. Felt like I was in the cave with condensation/drips of water falling all around. When one of the guys launches four of those little orbes that maps the caves, sounded like it was scanning me from head to toe and then taking off over my head and behind me. It was great.

Watched one of the first scenes from Art of Flight. Deadmau5 music first filled the room then once it starts to quiet down, all of the music moved to the front stage but it was very seamless. Was a really cool effect on how and when the music moved.

The best so far was the beginning of Top Gun. Just flipping amazing. I felt like I was really on the aircraft carrie, no lie. Sounds were coming from every where, detailed, and atmospheric. Even though I have never been on an aircraft carrie, it sure felt like it. Never seemed like there were speakers in the room, just jets and Kenny Loggins. The best over the head effect was when Tom rides his motorcycle next to the landing/takeoff strip (after he gets accepted to Top Gun), a jet fly's literally right over you. Like at an air show.

I thought Neo:X sounded great with the wides and front heights but Dolby Surround is just amazing. Not just better but way better.

The sound really is spacious, seamless, enveloping, and atmospheric (I know I have used these words a lot). Never before have I felt like I was actually in a movie until this weekend. It really is that good. I can't wait for real Atmos movies to come out. I do have Transformers 4 on pre-order.

The same thing for video games, it was just better in very way.

I didn't try my front heights or wides in the Atmos config but at this point not sure I will. Maybe on a rainy day I didn't try music either, was having way too much fun with movies and video games.

I am no professional by any means, just an ordinary dude like most of you and I hope this helps.

The only very very small complaint I have so far is I felt like the back top speakers were getting a little more action than the fronts. This is more than likely a placement issue than a with Dolby Surround. I tend to aim the tops more at the listing position the next time I tinker with it.

Oh, I did try a before and after Audyssey calibration and I am sure as you know it was much better after. Thanks!!
PoshFrosh likes this.

post #172 of 176 Old 09-15-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks crazyhog!! I have posted my findings with Dolby Surround if you are interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhog View Post
Gratz sir on ur new toys.

post #173 of 176 Old 09-15-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the write up, now I am even more jealous of your set up!
post #174 of 176 Old Yesterday, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

+100. im still on my 7.0 set up and Atmos is trending huhuhu.... this hobby of ours are very expensive. il bet a lotto tomorrow and try my luck to have a wonderful gears like urs.. thanks for the the nice review.

post #175 of 176 Old Yesterday, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhog View Post
+100. im still on my 7.0 set up and Atmos is trending huhuhu.... this hobby of ours are very expensive. il bet a lotto tomorrow and try my luck to have a wonderful gears like urs.. thanks for the the nice review.

post #176 of 176 Old Today, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hello,

How do you like those ATS Panels? Have you compared them to GIK or other manufacturers?

Thanks,

CT

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Definitive Technology , Svs Pb12 Plus Black Oak 12 Inch 800 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Pioneer Elite Sc 57 Sc57 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black , Logitech Harmony 900 Universal Remote Control Infrared Harmony 900 Rem W Rf Receiver
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page