NiceguyEdy's tiny room setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-27-2010, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Time to update this post as my equipment has changed quite a bit.

Equipment list:

SPEAKERS:
Elemental Designs EL 8.3t/jwe
Elemental Designs EL 8.3b
Elemental Designs EL 8.3c
Elemental Designs A7s-650 x 2

COMPONENTS
Emotiva XPA-5 300 watts per channel @ 4ohm
Pioneer Elite VSX03-TXH
PS3
Xbox 360 Elite w/ HD DVD player
Panamax M4300-PM

TV
Samsung LN46A950 - LED backlight with local dimming

Future upgrades
Possibly 2 new subs to replace the 650's.
XMC-1
Oppo BDP-93

I already know you're all going to love my carpet. I figure I'd let the pictures do the talking. If you have any questions, just ask.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-27-2010, 10:10 PM

Liked: 10
You've got the gear, now get a nice piece of furniture for the center channel and find another home for the sub. And, as always, cable management and wire dressing makes a huge improvement...

Great start!
post #3 of 11 Old 03-28-2010, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVizzle View Post

You've got the gear, now get a nice piece of furniture for the center channel and find another home for the sub. And, as always, cable management and wire dressing makes a huge improvement...

Great start!

Thank you for the comments. My goal was to buy the stuff I would need for when I move into a house.

I'm not sure what to do about the center channel and the tv. I have one other spot to put the sub, which is directly behind my seated position next to my rack. I'm worried about it drawing too much attention to itself being there. I know I need to work on cable management a bit, but I won't put too much effort into it, simply because where I live now doesn't deserve too terribly much work. I want a house.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Nice gear. For that size of room it should get loud!!!
post #5 of 11 Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Agreed, nice gear...now you just need the house to go with it. Lol, I,ve never seen that much nice gear in such a small space! The painted paneling cleans things up for sure, but is there anything you can do with that carpet? (besides roll around on it like its grass) thats some groov'in shag!

Have you considered orienting the sub vertically in a corner or something rather than horizontally on the floor? If so possibly you could turn the coffee table 90 degrees and place the center channel on a shorter stand on front of that?

I know you are on a budget (i know the feeling, trust me) but the other option would be to buy another shelf and mount it above the TV for the center and just angle it down a bit, that is if the studs are in decent position behind your TV...i would definitely recommend against mounting them in just the paneling.

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of CanntonĀ 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

post #6 of 11 Old 03-29-2010, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingus View Post

Nice gear. For that size of room it should get loud!!!

It gets extremely loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman View Post

Agreed, nice gear...now you just need the house to go with it. Lol, I,ve never seen that much nice gear in such a small space! The painted paneling cleans things up for sure, but is there anything you can do with that carpet? (besides roll around on it like its grass) thats some groov'in shag!

Have you considered orienting the sub vertically in a corner or something rather than horizontally on the floor? If so possibly you could turn the coffee table 90 degrees and place the center channel on a shorter stand on front of that?

I know you are on a budget (i know the feeling, trust me) but the other option would be to buy another shelf and mount it above the TV for the center and just angle it down a bit, that is if the studs are in decent position behind your TV...i would definitely recommend against mounting them in just the paneling.

The carpeting will be gone in a couple of months. Ran out of funds to finish the room 100%. I have one other place I can put the sub, it would be standing up and in a corner. I have reservations about putting it there because it is so close to where I sit, don't want it to draw too much attention to itself. I'm weighing my options as far as getting something different for the center. I don't want the center above the tv, and the studs are not in the correct place to wall mount. Possibly just a nice tv stand and then put the center on one of the shelves angled at my listening position.

Thank you all for the comments! It seems like it's been a long time acquiring this stuff and trying to get it so that it sounds good. I know that I need some wall treatments....nasty echo in the room.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-29-2010, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
It will be tough to get a really good sound stage in such a small room, those speakers of a lot of potential that you wont be able to reach until you can find a more suitable room, but they'll still sound great in the mean time.

what are the dimensions of the room if you dont mind me asking? its looks like 8X10?

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of CanntonĀ 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

post #8 of 11 Old 11-16-2010, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman View Post
It will be tough to get a really good sound stage in such a small room, those speakers of a lot of potential that you wont be able to reach until you can find a more suitable room, but they'll still sound great in the mean time.

what are the dimensions of the room if you dont mind me asking? its looks like 8X10?
Sorry I let this drop so much, although I didn't have too much interest. I have noticed that I can't use my speakers to their full potential. However, I have currently sold my Def Techs, and am having a custom set of speakers built. I have also put the tv on an actual tv stand. I will update with pictures once I get everything in place.

The room dimensions you listed are pretty close. The actual dimensions are 8' wide x 16' long x 8' high. Pretty small room, but we all do the best with what we've got.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-17-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Main post updated.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-17-2012, 04:30 PM

Nice upgrade, great gears.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-18-2012, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketr75 View Post

Nice upgrade, great gears.

Thank you! It's been a fun journey. I absolutely love the speakers. eD did a good job.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page