1-Bedroom APT Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I've seen everyone's setup on this forum over the time I've joined and guilty of asking where everyone got this, got that, etc. A lot of you have some great taste.

I've had multiple setups in college due to this forum. Your all to blame.
My Previous Setups

My setup is not where I want it to be as of yet but I'm getting there. By the way, the couches are hand me down I got from my Aunt after finishing school to furnish my place.

Equipment
Pioneer 50" KRP-500M
Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH
Fronts: Athena Technologies WS-60 x 3 (Got a deal on all 3 from someone on this forum. $200)
Rears: Athena Technologies AS-R1.2 x 2
Sub 1: 15" Cerwin Vega (Packed it myself with foam from Walmart - Got it from the same guy. $100!!!)
Sub 2: 15 " Definitive Tech. Powerfield 15 (Garage sale for $150)
PS3 Slim
Xbox 360 (Launch)
Gave my girl the Wii
Mac Mini
I don't have cable.

I don't have one of my lenses for my SLR so I had to use my iPhone. I'll update the pictures when I get my lens.

My Desk (w/ SLR):
Stereo Athena Technologies Point5 x 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have been using PLEX for Mac OS as the front end of my Home Theater setup. It organizes all my music, pictures, movies, and tv shows. It also has some nice plugins.

Here is a few screen shots: All the back drops for each category is not always the same. I have a set for games, a set for movies, etc. It rotates through them all automatically.

TV Show Menu (Same for Movies)

Old 04-21-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Nice setup. How does the brick wall effect your sound? Have you thought about lowering the angle of the center since it seems to be pointing up above the center listening position?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Nice setup.

Thanks!

Quote:

How does the brick wall effect your sound?

Well I don't know how it would sound if there wasn't a brick wall but I think it may be causing quite a bit of reflections. Don't know what to listen for things still sound great. Next upgrade will be an SVS subwoofer and a big canvas print above the couch for the brick wall.

Quote:

Have you thought about lowering the angle of the center since it seems to be pointing up above the center listening position?

The only reason I pointed it upwards is because I thought that would make the sound come from the television as oppose to underneath it. I can try changing it but I would expect the latter to be the case because the TV is mounted higher. What do you think?
Old 04-21-2010, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Management View Post

I think I've seen everyone's setup on this forum over the time I've joined and guilty of asking where everyone got this, got that, etc. A lot of you have some great taste.

My Desk (w/ SLR):
Stereo Athena Technologies Point5 x 2

That is a hell of a letter opener behind your laptop!

Cool katana, cool setup, very clean.

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of CanntonĀ 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

Old 04-21-2010, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:

Thanks!

Well I don't know how it would sound if there wasn't a brick wall but I think it may be causing quite a bit of reflections. Don't know what to listen for things still sound great. Next upgrade will be an SVS subwoofer and a big canvas print above the couch for the brick wall.

The only reason I pointed it upwards is because I thought that would make the sound come from the television as oppose to underneath it. I can try changing it but I would expect the latter to be the case because the TV is mounted higher. What do you think?

Yeah I'd suggest getting something to absorb or to better scatter some of the stray reflections you'll get off that hard brick surface.

As for the center channel, it'd be easier with a laser pointer but if you can get it pointed more towards where your head is it would work better. The sound will seem like it's coming from the tv if you do that, don't worry about it.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Really good use of space. I like that letter opener as well.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I have been using PLEX for Mac OS as the front end of my Home Theater setup. It organizes all my music, pictures, movies, and tv shows. It also has some nice plugins.

Here is a few screen shots: All the back drops for each category is not always the same. I have a set for games, a set for movies, etc. It rotates through them all automatically.

TV Show Menu (Same for Movies)

That mac mini set up tooks very clean. Can it handle mkv or vob movie files with thumbnails like that? Right now I just use mkv to vob and stick them on a usb drive and into my PS3.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersin2025 View Post

That mac mini set up tooks very clean. Can it handle mkv or vob movie files with thumbnails like that? Right now I just use mkv to vob and stick them on a usb drive and into my PS3.

It plays MKVs just fine. I haven't tried VOB though but Plex should play it.

You also don't need thumbnails. Plex will download the thumbnails and movie information from all over the internet and organize it for you. This is for both TV Shows and Movies. When you cycle through your shows the backdrop automatically changes to the backdrop of the movie/tv show, i.e House.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just picked up another subwoofer, Definitive Tech. PF-15. I got it from a woman selling it at a garage sale. for $150. Works great as an anchor in my opinion.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:32 PM

are you british? asking based on the way customiSe is spelled on your screen. that is normally the british variant of the american spelling customiZe.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrArin View Post

are you british? asking based on the way customiSe is spelled on your screen. that is normally the british variant of the american spelling customiZe.

Actually no I'm not but I guess the people who designed this software are British. I'm originally from Jamaica and usually use British spellings like centRe haha. That probably why I didn't notice it.