post #271 of 667 Old 01-12-2013, 04:26 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Updated several of the images on the first page, with the MC 302's in place, and experimenting with my new lighting kit...

Looks awesome thrang

Frank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 667 Old 01-12-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Looking great.

How long are your cable runs? With your 303 and two 302's positioned so close to the speakers your speaker cables must be quite short but your interconnect lengths to those amps must be very long given the size of the room and are you running balanced cables?

post #273 of 667 Old 01-12-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Balanced XLR's right now are about 25 feet - I can reduce to 15 feet when I run under the crawl space - they're artfully concealed around the room perimeter for now...

I think better for longer balanced runs than longer speaker runs. This config also allowed me to use some Kimber Kable 8TC wire I had off of all the Mac amps..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #274 of 667 Old 01-12-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, I never would have guessed only 25 feet, I figured they would have been longer.

post #275 of 667 Old 01-12-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

Wow, I never would have guessed only 25 feet, I figured they would have been longer.

Room is about 26 wide by about 20 deep - the three XLRs to the 303 might be 30's, the two sides are 25, but if I wanted to I could reduce them once I run them under the flooring - but not necessary...

post #276 of 667 Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One thing I don't like about the MC303 are the lugs if you want to use spades - rather coarse threading, and very difficult to gets your hands in to tighten, and in fact had to use a pair of angled pliers to get sufficient tightness...the 302 lug design is much better.

post #277 of 667 Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Had some WBT Spades laying around from a past setup, so have been installing those on the amp side...

post #278 of 667 Old 01-15-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Odd that Mac makes it so hard to get to, at least in the 303. What about bananas, they must be easy enough to insert? I prefer bananas myself, spades always seemed to come loose over time.

post #279 of 667 Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The bananas I've tried work of course, but always feel a tad loose...including some WBT bananas...

post #280 of 667 Old 01-15-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I've been happy using AudioQuest banana plug design, they provide optimum contact, don't pull out or move around.

Thrang your system is killer!

I'm sure you've probably explained in previous post's, but how are you integrating, or connecting, your various amps? Using very long XLR cable runs (all the way back to the AV8801)?

BTW, how are folks attatching images to a post such that they appear without needing to open?
post #281 of 667 Old 01-15-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I've been happy using AudioQuest banana plug design, they provide optimum contact, don't pull out or move around.
Jan2012_AudioQuest_BFA_BananaPlugs_01.jpg 13k .jpg file

Thrang your system is killer!

I'm sure you've probably explained in previous post's, but how are you integrating, or connecting, your various amps? Using very long XLR cable runs (all the way back to the AV8801)?

BTW, how are folks attatching images to a post such that they appear without needing to open?

Thanks for the tip, I ordered four of the audioquests from amazon, so I'll give them a shot

Yes, using XLRs to the amps - right now they are following the perimeter of the room, but eventually I will run directly under the crawl space - sp 25 feet or less.

For the images, use the image link icon when posting a reply, paste a URL in or upload and image, and it will embed.

post #282 of 667 Old 01-16-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the tip, I ordered four of the audioquests from amazon, so I'll give them a shot
yeah this is how I set-up my custom-built speaker cables: AudioQuest banana's on one end (to Monitor Audio speaker INP's), Monster Cable banana's on the other end (to Parasound speaker OUT's)

I'm using the crimp style AudioQuest banana's here. I also use the set-screw type as well on another set-up, they function great especially using solid copper speaker cable (I tin stranded wire using solder to create "solid" wire such that set-screws will fasten properly)
post #283 of 667 Old 01-17-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah this is how I set-up my custom-built speaker cables: AudioQuest banana's on one end (to Monitor Audio speaker INP's), Monster Cable banana's on the other end (to Parasound speaker OUT's)

I'm using the crimp style AudioQuest banana's here. I also use the set-screw type as well on another set-up, they function great especially using solid copper speaker cable (I tin stranded wire using solder to create "solid" wire such that set-screws will fasten properly)

They came in today, but I've been having some issues with my 8801, and other things, so I've not had a chance to try them...

post #284 of 667 Old 01-28-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi:

Are you also using XLR interconnects for your JL Audio sub's? If so, what type/brand? I'm curious, as I'm contemplating whether to use RCA or XLR version (going from Marantz AV8801-to-F110)?
post #285 of 667 Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi:

Are you also using XLR interconnects for your JL Audio sub's? If so, what type/brand? I'm curious, as I'm contemplating whether to use RCA or XLR version (going from Marantz AV8801-to-F110)?

Yes, using XLR's for all connections - most are Monoprice, a few are from Wyred4Sound.

post #286 of 667 Old 01-31-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

805 Heights are up - still need to clean up some wiring and finish the patch/repaint where the M1's were - need better pics, but for now....

post #287 of 667 Old 01-31-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are a couple of shots of the custom mounts:

post #288 of 667 Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Nice job!

Pig... smile.gif

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #289 of 667 Old 01-31-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You flop in the slop pretty good yourself! smile.gif

post #290 of 667 Old 01-31-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking good. How are the 805's being held in place, surely they aren't just balancing on the cross sections without a tightening mechanism? Can you notice much of a difference compared to the M1's? It's to bad your lights by your screen weren't where your 805's are now as the dts and DSX recommendation is for the heights to be above or close to being above the mains.

post #291 of 667 Old 01-31-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looking good. How are the 805's being held in place, surely they aren't just balancing on the cross sections without a tightening mechanism? Can you notice much of a difference compared to the M1's? It's to bad your lights by your screen weren't where your 805's are now as the dts and DSX recommendation is for the heights to be above or close to being above the mains.

I'm using the threaded bolt mounts under the 805s with lock washers.

Did DSX change their recommendations? I know DTS locates them above the heights, audyssey between the front and wide speakers.

Don't really have an option closer to the mains - maybe I could squeeze the mounting plate next to the window frame if the bracket arm would clear under the curtain rod, but that might be getting a little ugly

Will do some serious listening is weekend, and a recalibration.

post #292 of 667 Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:

Here are a couple of shots of the custom mounts:

Who made these mounts for you? Mine clamp on the side so am not to inclined to slant them forward.

R 8:28

post #293 of 667 Old 01-31-2013, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Who made these mounts for you? Mine clamp on the side so am not to inclined to slant them forward.

A local long time handyman I know, who also owns welding equipment.

We mapped it out together, making sure we could utilize the bolt sockets- he got the steel, I did the lousy paint job, and the rest is history.

Took some time and trial and error especially since we designed the elevation angle into each mount - no elevation adjustment. The arm does swing left and right and locks with a large bolt and lock washer.

post #294 of 667 Old 01-31-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a shot of the underside of the bracket, showing the access hole to mount the bolts into the speaker. There are two bolts in each speaker.

post #295 of 667 Old 01-31-2013, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is truly a stunning setup! Well done.
post #296 of 667 Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman03 View Post

This is truly a stunning setup! Well done.

Thanks - I think I'm running out of things to change after all these years...!

post #297 of 667 Old 02-01-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm using the threaded bolt mounts under the 805s with lock washers.

Did DSX change their recommendations? I know DTS locates them above the heights, audyssey between the front and wide speakers.

Don't really have an option closer to the mains - maybe I could squeeze the mounting plate next to the window frame if the bracket arm would clear under the curtain rod, but that might be getting a little ugly

Will do some serious listening is weekend, and a recalibration.

Good catch on the DSX layout. It's been a while since I looked, I thought both manufacturers were recommending the same configuration. My bad.

I think where you have them now works best with your current room layout.

post #298 of 667 Old 02-01-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good catch on the DSX layout. It's been a while since I looked, I thought both manufacturers were recommending the same configuration. My bad.

I think where you have them now works best with your current room layout.

Because my centerline of the seating is shifted about 1.5 feet to the left of the room centerline, the left height and wide is a little off angle wise, but it's as close as I can get it.

I already sense much more contribution from the heights with the 805's - more this weekend...

post #299 of 667 Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's a shot of the underside of the bracket, showing the access hole to mount the bolts into the speaker. There are two bolts in each speaker
so there are actually holes bored into the speaker cabinets?
post #300 of 667 Old 02-01-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

805 Heights are up - still need to clean up some wiring and finish the patch/repaint where the M1's were - need better pics, but for now...
looks good. Must be nice to have JL Audio subs "isolated"on platforms like you have there? Would imagine it took two people to hoist those bad-boys up onto those platforms, as they are heavy like rocks (I use one F110 and I have to call my nieghbor over to physically place it)
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Mcintosh Labs , B W , Jl Audio Fathom F113 Gloss 13 5 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Med1000x3d Hd 3d Multimedia Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page