post #631 of 660 Old 12-17-2013, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

So I broke down and bought an AppleTV unit for one of my systems (using Denon AVR-2113CI receiver).

So far I've tested it once:
went into NetFlix (via-AppleTV), streamed "Breaking Bad" 1rst episode. Video loaded properly, audio codec showed "Dolby Digital" on Denon display. Overall performance was decent. Video picture quality was'nt the best, maybe this was mostly due to the quality of the actual content? I'm not sure?

So, right after, I purposely logged-off NetFlix on AppleTV. Went into my Oppo 103 player, logged-on to NetFlix, watched the same episode of "Breaking Bad", audio quality was noticeably more dynamic. Also Denon display shows "DDD" codec. Video quality may have been equal to output from AppleTV though (ie. poor/mediocre resolution).

Is audio quality adjustable on the AppleTV appliance? I have it set for "Auto"

Don't know westcoast, will try the same episode. My wife and I watched the first three episodes of House of Cards via Netflix on ATV and it looked and sounded great.

Are your ATV and Oppo wired Ethernet, or is the ATV wireless? Streaming services will. Often auto negotiate quality to meet throughput, but generally audio is audio, so not sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 660 Old 12-17-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yeah, seems like it may be a situation where ATV provides Dolby Digital ("Dolby Digital" on display), and the Oppo provides Dolby Digital Plus ("DDD" shows on display), two different codecs literally. .

Even my wife noticed the difference in sound immediately. Definitely more dynamic. Not sure if may be a level output issue?

Someone on another thread ("Networking, Streaming Media Devices, etc.,...) thinks that ATV is constrained, or limited, due to outside (studio) pressures, controlling content on 3rd-party streaming services. I don't know?
post #633 of 660 Old 12-17-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, seems like it may be a situation where ATV provides Dolby Digital ("Dolby Digital" on display), and the Oppo provides Dolby Digital Plus ("DDD" shows on display), two different codecs literally. .

Even my wife noticed the difference in sound immediately. Definitely more dynamic. Not sure if may be a level output issue?

Someone on another thread ("Networking, Streaming Media Devices, etc.,...) thinks that ATV is constrained, or limited, due to outside (studio) pressures, controlling content on 3rd-party streaming services. I don't know?

Maybe this thread can help...

https://discussions.apple.com/message/13016557#13016557

I haven't tried testing yet
post #634 of 660 Old 12-17-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can confirm there is a difference as you note - DD+ on Netflix/Oppo, DD on Netflix/AppleTV.

Appears either Netflix or Apple would need to update that app.

You might want to rent/buy one episode of Breaking Bad via iTunes and see if there's a difference.
post #635 of 660 Old 12-18-2013, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Thanks very much

No, no changes planned - extremely happy with the B&W / McIntosh combo.

I do love much about the Mede8er, but I do have a 2d Dune on order to evaluate again...having the 3d playback of the capability of the Mede8er is nice as an all in one solution, but I watch so little 3d that perhaps the full menu capability of the dune may be more satisfying...

Hey Thrang, awesome setup! Love the look and im sure it sounds amazing.

I've ripped all my blurays to mkv without compression and based on some of the feedback here and in a few other threads, I'm thinking about getting either a Mede8er MED1000X3D or a Dune HD Base 3D (i have a wdtv live right now and it stutters with high bitrate rips). Do you happen to know if the Mede8er supports converting dts-ma and dolby digital true hd to LPCM (as opposed to bitstreaming)? My preamp is the Marantz AV8003 and it doesnt support audyssey if you bitstream highedf audio.

Also, is there any reason you would choose either the mede8er or the dune over the other? I typically just rip the main movie, none of the extras and keep everything in MKV format and would like to directly stream from my NAS using smb. Thanks in advance!

Revel Ultima2 Salon2 [pair] || Revel Ultima2 Voice2 || Revel Ultima2 Gem2 [quad] || JL Audio Fathom f212 [pair]
Mark Levinson No 502 || Bel Canto REF1000 [pair] || Rotel RB-1090 || Rotel RMB-1095 || Furman IT-Reference 20i

HtdHvy's (ever-evolving) Audiophile Home Theater Rig
post #636 of 660 Old 12-18-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htdhvy View Post

I've ripped all my blurays to mkv without compression and based on some of the feedback here and in a few other threads, I'm thinking about getting either a Mede8er MED1000X3D or a Dune HD Base 3D (i have a wdtv live right now and it stutters with high bitrate rips). Do you happen to know if the Mede8er supports converting dts-ma and dolby digital true hd to LPCM (as opposed to bitstreaming)? My preamp is the Marantz AV8003 and it doesnt support audyssey if you bitstream highedf audio.

Also, is there any reason you would choose either the mede8er or the dune over the other? I typically just rip the main movie, none of the extras and keep everything in MKV format and would like to directly stream from my NAS using smb. Thanks in advance!

No, it only outputs 2 channel even when selecting multi LPCM in the audio setup.

Addino is getting the Dune player you mention, and it is supposed to output audio as you need...perhaps he can post here once he gets it up and running
post #637 of 660 Old 12-18-2013, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can confirm there is a difference as you note - DD+ on Netflix/Oppo, DD on Netflix/AppleTV.

Appears either Netflix or Apple would need to update that app.

You might want to rent/buy one episode of Breaking Bad via iTunes and see if there's a difference.
wow, thanks for confirming that test. Apple would definitely have to generate a new firmware update (if they have'nt already) to provide DDD+ .

I will experiment with iTunes "Breaking Bad" episode, I'm very curious now.
post #638 of 660 Old 12-21-2013, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Just had a new MX 151 installed.  After just a couple of days am very impressed.  However, I am puzzled.  With all of its connection capability, I was told by the installers, they could not install my headphones for late night use watching TV or listening to music.  I would think this would be simple.  Does anyone have a solution?

post #639 of 660 Old 12-21-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog01 View Post

Just had a new MX 151 installed.  After just a couple of days am very impressed.  However, I am puzzled.  With all of its connection capability, I was told by the installers, they could not install my headphones for late night use watching TV or listening to music.  I would think this would be simple.  Does anyone have a solution?

With no headphone jack, I presume some type of headphone amp with line in jacks, connected to the pre-outs on the 151...might want to pass this one by McIntosh tech support, but I think it was simply design as theater processor which would not have a need for headphones. Not that it would have hurt them to include a port...
post #640 of 660 Old 01-18-2014, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
At one point did you own the Integra DHC-80.3 pre-pro?
If so, wondering how stereo sound (mp3, WAV, CDs) sounded compared to the Mc processor - in regular stereo mode or with surround music modes (Dolby PL IIx, DTS Neo:6 etc).

thanks

B&W 802 Diamond mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center, B&W 804 Diamond surrounds, Parasound HALO A 51, Krell KAV-300i , Integra DHC-80.3 pre-pro, two JL Audio Fathom f113 subs, Panasonic TC-P65VT50 65" plasma
post #641 of 660 Old 01-18-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bao01 View Post

At one point did you own the Integra DHC-80.3 pre-pro?
If so, wondering how stereo sound (mp3, WAV, CDs) sounded compared to the Mc processor - in regular stereo mode or with surround music modes (Dolby PL IIx, DTS Neo:6 etc).

thanks

Yes, I did own the 80.3 - one of the nicer pre-pro's I've owned. But the quality of the 151 is substantively better. Music has much better clarity, pin-point accuracy, against a inky black background. It also has Room Perfect, which is appreciably better than Audyssey XT32 Pro. The 151 is really a gem for both music and movies.

I only listen to music 2.1, unless the source is authored multi-channel.My music is only lossless (ALAC) ripped from CD's, or a few higher resolution downloaders.

I hope for the sake of the community, they release the completed firmware soon, which addresses some bugs in True HD and LPCM playback. Apparently, there are a few additional (unanticipated?) changes that need to be clarified, but McIntosh should be able to rectify that to their satisfaction and get the update properly released.
post #642 of 660 Old 01-18-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No, it only outputs 2 channel even when selecting multi LPCM in the audio setup.

Addino is getting the Dune player you mention, and it is supposed to output audio as you need...perhaps he can post here once he gets it up and running

I ended up buying the Dune. It doesnt do dolby true hd to 7.1 lpcm (so im converting those to flac) but everything else works perfect.

Random question for you. Do you have a good solution for ripping blurays with seamless branching to mkv? I use makemkv on my mac and it always throws av sync errors with any seamless branching discs. It trys to correct it by dropping frames but im wondering if there is a better solution.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Revel Ultima2 Salon2 [pair] || Revel Ultima2 Voice2 || Revel Ultima2 Gem2 [quad] || JL Audio Fathom f212 [pair]
Mark Levinson No 502 || Bel Canto REF1000 [pair] || Rotel RB-1090 || Rotel RMB-1095 || Furman IT-Reference 20i

post #643 of 660 Old 01-18-2014, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I ended up buying the Dune. It doesnt do dolby true hd to 7.1 lpcm (so im converting those to flac) but everything else works perfect.

Random question for you. Do you have a good solution for ripping blurays with seamless branching to mkv? I use makemkv on my mac and it always throws av sync errors with any seamless branching discs. It trys to correct it by dropping frames but im wondering if there is a better solution.

No - I use MakeMKV on a Mac as well, and have never had an issue with branching titles - perhaps it's drive related? I thnk I'm using an LG Blu Ray drive, don't recall the specific model at the moment...
post #644 of 660 Old 01-18-2014, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

Yes, I did own the 80.3 - one of the nicer pre-pro's I've owned. But the quality of the 151 is substantively better. Music has much better clarity, pin-point accuracy, against a inky black background. It also has Room Perfect, which is appreciably better than Audyssey XT32 Pro. The 151 is really a gem for both music and movies.

I only listen to music 2.1, unless the source is authored multi-channel.My music is only lossless (ALAC) ripped from CD's, or a few higher resolution downloaders.

I hope for the sake of the community, they release the completed firmware soon, which addresses some bugs in True HD and LPCM playback. Apparently, there are a few additional (unanticipated?) changes that need to be clarified, but McIntosh should be able to rectify that to their satisfaction and get the update properly released.

Thanks - very helpful comparison.

B&W 802 Diamond mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center, B&W 804 Diamond surrounds, Parasound HALO A 51, Krell KAV-300i , Integra DHC-80.3 pre-pro, two JL Audio Fathom f113 subs, Panasonic TC-P65VT50 65" plasma
post #645 of 660 Old 01-18-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No - I use MakeMKV on a Mac as well, and have never had an issue with branching titles - perhaps it's drive related? I thnk I'm using an LG Blu Ray drive, don't recall the specific model at the moment...

I use an lg drive as well. MakeMKV definitely has issues with seamless branching. Could you do me a favor? Next time you rip simething with extended and regular length movies on one disc (like gladiator or angles and demons) turn on expert mode in makemkv and then check the box to log av sync issues and see if it says its dropping frames.

post #646 of 660 Old 01-18-2014, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll check next time, though I've never seen an issue during playback...

One post out there in the inner-net had this comment:

The reason, so far as I can tell, is that on some branching discs, frames are repeated when it movies between each m2ts file. So if MakeMKV didn't drop frames eventually you'd lose sync.
Blu-ray players must have a similar mechanism built into them.

Don't know if this is true or not...
post #647 of 660 Old 01-20-2014, 05:09 AM

Quote:

I'll check next time, though I've never seen an issue during playback...

One post out there in the inner-net had this comment:

The reason, so far as I can tell, is that on some branching discs, frames are repeated when it movies between each m2ts file. So if MakeMKV didn't drop frames eventually you'd lose sync.
Blu-ray players must have a similar mechanism built into them.

Don't know if this is true or not...

That is all true. The issue is, makemkv doesnt do a perfect job so the end result ends up being that the mkv is still off at the end by a few ms and fluctuates how much its off by throughout the movie (basically it drops frames to catch up and then floats away and then drops frames again).

post #648 of 660 Old 01-20-2014, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is all true. The issue is, makemkv doesnt do a perfect job so the end result ends up being that the mkv is still off at the end by a few ms and fluctuates how much its off by throughout the movie (basically it drops frames to catch up and then floats away and then drops frames again).

I don't know - I've never really noticed a dropped frame or audio sync issues...is it noticeable to you?
post #649 of 660 Old 01-20-2014, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

I've only seen that with one title so far. I've ripped several titles with MakeMKV. All seem to play fine.
post #650 of 660 Old 01-20-2014, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

I've only seen that with one title so far. I've ripped several titles with MakeMKV. All seem to play fine.

Which title, and how does the issue present itself?
post #651 of 660 Old 01-20-2014, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Which title, and how does the issue present itself?

American Gangster.

You will start to notice audio sync issues about 30 - 45min into the film, the video will then jump back into sync. Repeats after 30min or so.
post #652 of 660 Old 01-20-2014, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

American Gangster.

You will start to notice audio sync issues about 30 - 45min into the film, the video will then jump back into sync. Repeats after 30min or so.

Oh no, that was the director's intent... :-)
post #653 of 660 Old 01-20-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:

I don't know - I've never really noticed a dropped frame or audio sync issues...is it noticeable to you?
Depends on the movie. I think the biggest issue is that if i know there were sync issues on a movie, i look for it. It would probably have been best if i had never started tracking it. smile.gif

post #654 of 660 Old 04-28-2014, 11:52 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Magnificent set-up, the only issue that I see from my perspective is that when watching a movie all the lights from the Mc are really disturbing

Where do you live town, country ? I would love to see your room in person biggrin.gif
post #655 of 660 Old 05-17-2014, 02:15 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Current setup:

If I am ever in your area I would love to get a demo! Please !

post #656 of 660 Old 05-17-2014, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've PM'd you - I think we are opposite coasts....
post #657 of 660 Old 05-17-2014, 03:52 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've PM'd you - I think we are opposite coasts....

I know but some time I come to your side of the world so if timing is right who know maybe one of these days biggrin.gif
post #658 of 660 Old 05-29-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I was curious, being I'm in-process installing a projector and screen, is your Sony Projector lens in-line with the bottom edge of your screen? Or does it matter?
post #659 of 660 Old 05-29-2014, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was curious, being I'm in-process installing a projector and screen, is your Sony Projector lens in-line with the bottom edge of your screen? Or does it matter?

No, its about in the middle...the manual has a chart I think showing the horizontal and vertical position ranges, so you should check that out. I think it is also affected by zoom.
post #660 of 660 Old 05-29-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, its about in the middle...the manual has a chart I think showing the horizontal and vertical position ranges, so you should check that out. I think it is also affected by zoom.
I see, thanks. I'm sure each set-up (projector brand/model, distances, screen, etc.,...) all vary.

I'm using an Elite screen, essentially 80in wide X 45.1in height. I have an Epson 3020 projector lens positioned in the center of screen, approx. 3.0in to 4.0in below the top edge. Projection distance is approx. 9.0ft..

I'm estimating a screen size approx. = 70in wide X 40.0in height.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Mcintosh Labs , B W , Jl Audio Fathom F113 Gloss 13 5 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Med1000x3d Hd 3d Multimedia Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page