Thrang's Home Theater (for now...) - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 667 Old 08-26-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hi thrang. I've got a question for you, are you still using the Synology NAS? If so how do you like the unit? I'm thinking about purchasing a DS415play and was just curious about reliability of Synology in general. I'll probably load it with WD 6TB Red drives. Do you take advantage of the RAID configuration or are all your drives configured as individual drives? I have been giving the Bryston BDP-2 some serious consideration and if I do get the unit I believe I'll start ripping all of my CDs and putting the albums on the NAS, that way I can also pile on movies, tv shows and high resolution digital music downloads.

Thanks,

Rod

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 667 Old 08-26-2014, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Hi thrang. I've got a question for you, are you still using the Synology NAS? If so how do you like the unit? I'm thinking about purchasing a DS415play and was just curious about reliability of Synology in general. I'll probably load it with WD 6TB Red drives. Do you take advantage of the RAID configuration or are all your drives configured as individual drives? I have been giving the Bryston BDP-2 some serious consideration and if I do get the unit I believe I'll start ripping all of my CDs and putting the albums on the NAS, that way I can also pile on movies, tv shows and high resolution digital music downloads.

Thanks,

Rod
Hi Rod

Yes, I still use two synology raids - one 5+5 (10 bay) for movies, and one 5 bay for music and household files and backups.

The movie raid is off all the time, and I use a WoL packet from Roomie Remote to start it when I select my Dune playback activity.

I have the 1512/1513 units...can't remember precisely at the moment

Using raid on both NAS units, not individual drives.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #663 of 667 Old 08-26-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

So are you daisy chaining the two for movies to get 10 thus you can run RAID on 5 groups of 2 without having an odd man out?

post #664 of 667 Old 08-26-2014, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks.

So are you daisy chaining the two for movies to get 10 thus you can run RAID on 5 groups of 2 without having an odd man out?
Not sure what you're asking...the movie raid is 10 drives total in the main and expansion units. I have it configured as one raid 5, so I am losing one the ten drives for redundancy. You can configure it anyway you'd like...if you want to improve your data security,you could do two five drive raids, and lose two of course this way, but with larger capacity drives, it may be viable.

For my units, Synology doesn't seem to list larger than 4tb drives as supported, though it's possible other units can utilized higher capacity disks

post #665 of 667 Old 08-26-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks

Yeah I worded that wrong, my bad but you answered my question though. Different NAS units do seem to support different size drives, it might depend on how old the units are I guess because the DS415play which is a new product launched either this month or last supports up to 6TB while I noticed same other units only supporting 5TB. So with your units how do you manage the NAS units, do they have an OS type setup where you connect, install the software then configure, etc.? That's how the 415play seems to work from what I've read about it's smaller brother, the DS214play. One of the reasons I'm considering the play unit is that it supports video transcoding. I typically use either my PS3 or Xbox360 to stream my content and they don't support all of the typical file formats that a computer does so I'm thinking that transcoding may help me and keep me from having to convert incompatible files to something that the consoles will recognize.

Oh, you need to get your photos updated

post #666 of 667 Old 08-26-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks

Yeah I worded that wrong, my bad but you answered my question though. Different NAS units do seem to support different size drives, it might depend on how old the units are I guess because the DS415play which is a new product launched either this month or last supports up to 6TB while I noticed same other units only supporting 5TB. So with your units how do you manage the NAS units, do they have an OS type setup where you connect, install the software then configure, etc.? That's how the 415play seems to work from what I've read about it's smaller brother, the DS214play. One of the reasons I'm considering the play unit is that it supports video transcoding. I typically use either my PS3 or Xbox360 to stream my content and they don't support all of the typical file formats that a computer does so I'm thinking that transcoding may help me and keep me from having to convert incompatible files to something that the consoles will recognize.

Oh, you need to get your photos updated
Yes, new photos...soon.

There is software that you use initially to find the NAS on the network to set up the (I think IP and name...but it's been almost two years since I did that...) after a few minutes on the app, everything is configured from a web interface.

There is a DS Video app for the synology among many others that does transcoding but I'm not sure what it does well or poorly. I'm just ripping BDMV's and storing them there for Dune playback

Last edited by thrang; 08-27-2014 at 01:42 PM.
post #667 of 667 Old 09-10-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I read in one of the other threads that you'd gotten rid of the Mac gear and were auditioning Parasound Halo. I'll be curious to hear what you think about the Halo sound, how it compares to Mac and if you miss those blue meters.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Mcintosh Labs , B W , Jl Audio Fathom F113 Gloss 13 5 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Med1000x3d Hd 3d Multimedia Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page