Thrang's Home Theater (for now...) - Page 23 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 690 Old 08-26-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi thrang. I've got a question for you, are you still using the Synology NAS? If so how do you like the unit? I'm thinking about purchasing a DS415play and was just curious about reliability of Synology in general. I'll probably load it with WD 6TB Red drives. Do you take advantage of the RAID configuration or are all your drives configured as individual drives? I have been giving the Bryston BDP-2 some serious consideration and if I do get the unit I believe I'll start ripping all of my CDs and putting the albums on the NAS, that way I can also pile on movies, tv shows and high resolution digital music downloads.

Thanks,

Rod

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 690 Old 08-26-2014, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Hi thrang. I've got a question for you, are you still using the Synology NAS? If so how do you like the unit? I'm thinking about purchasing a DS415play and was just curious about reliability of Synology in general. I'll probably load it with WD 6TB Red drives. Do you take advantage of the RAID configuration or are all your drives configured as individual drives? I have been giving the Bryston BDP-2 some serious consideration and if I do get the unit I believe I'll start ripping all of my CDs and putting the albums on the NAS, that way I can also pile on movies, tv shows and high resolution digital music downloads.

Thanks,

Rod
Hi Rod

Yes, I still use two synology raids - one 5+5 (10 bay) for movies, and one 5 bay for music and household files and backups.

The movie raid is off all the time, and I use a WoL packet from Roomie Remote to start it when I select my Dune playback activity.

I have the 1512/1513 units...can't remember precisely at the moment

Using raid on both NAS units, not individual drives.

Listening: When I Built This World from "Someday World" Brian Eno/Karl Hyde (Rating 9/10) • Watching: "Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense" (Blu Ray ISO) (Rating 9/10)
Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - McIntosh MX-151 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k
post #663 of 690 Old 08-26-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

So are you daisy chaining the two for movies to get 10 thus you can run RAID on 5 groups of 2 without having an odd man out?

post #664 of 690 Old 08-26-2014, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks.

So are you daisy chaining the two for movies to get 10 thus you can run RAID on 5 groups of 2 without having an odd man out?
Not sure what you're asking...the movie raid is 10 drives total in the main and expansion units. I have it configured as one raid 5, so I am losing one the ten drives for redundancy. You can configure it anyway you'd like...if you want to improve your data security,you could do two five drive raids, and lose two of course this way, but with larger capacity drives, it may be viable.

For my units, Synology doesn't seem to list larger than 4tb drives as supported, though it's possible other units can utilized higher capacity disks

Listening: When I Built This World from "Someday World" Brian Eno/Karl Hyde (Rating 9/10) • Watching: "Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense" (Blu Ray ISO) (Rating 9/10)
Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - McIntosh MX-151 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k
post #665 of 690 Old 08-26-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks

Yeah I worded that wrong, my bad but you answered my question though. Different NAS units do seem to support different size drives, it might depend on how old the units are I guess because the DS415play which is a new product launched either this month or last supports up to 6TB while I noticed same other units only supporting 5TB. So with your units how do you manage the NAS units, do they have an OS type setup where you connect, install the software then configure, etc.? That's how the 415play seems to work from what I've read about it's smaller brother, the DS214play. One of the reasons I'm considering the play unit is that it supports video transcoding. I typically use either my PS3 or Xbox360 to stream my content and they don't support all of the typical file formats that a computer does so I'm thinking that transcoding may help me and keep me from having to convert incompatible files to something that the consoles will recognize.

Oh, you need to get your photos updated

post #666 of 690 Old 08-26-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks

Yeah I worded that wrong, my bad but you answered my question though. Different NAS units do seem to support different size drives, it might depend on how old the units are I guess because the DS415play which is a new product launched either this month or last supports up to 6TB while I noticed same other units only supporting 5TB. So with your units how do you manage the NAS units, do they have an OS type setup where you connect, install the software then configure, etc.? That's how the 415play seems to work from what I've read about it's smaller brother, the DS214play. One of the reasons I'm considering the play unit is that it supports video transcoding. I typically use either my PS3 or Xbox360 to stream my content and they don't support all of the typical file formats that a computer does so I'm thinking that transcoding may help me and keep me from having to convert incompatible files to something that the consoles will recognize.

Oh, you need to get your photos updated
Yes, new photos...soon.

There is software that you use initially to find the NAS on the network to set up the (I think IP and name...but it's been almost two years since I did that...) after a few minutes on the app, everything is configured from a web interface.

There is a DS Video app for the synology among many others that does transcoding but I'm not sure what it does well or poorly. I'm just ripping BDMV's and storing them there for Dune playback

Last edited by thrang; 08-27-2014 at 01:42 PM.
post #667 of 690 Old 09-10-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I read in one of the other threads that you'd gotten rid of the Mac gear and were auditioning Parasound Halo. I'll be curious to hear what you think about the Halo sound, how it compares to Mac and if you miss those blue meters.
post #668 of 690 Old 09-19-2014, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuz1 View Post
I read in one of the other threads that you'd gotten rid of the Mac gear and were auditioning Parasound Halo. I'll be curious to hear what you think about the Halo sound, how it compares to Mac and if you miss those blue meters.
I would like to know your thoughts too!

post #669 of 690 Old 09-24-2014, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know need to update photos and post my feedback on the Parasounds, hoping to do so by next week..I've been busy with some other projects, but soon.

post #670 of 690 Old 09-29-2014, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
I know need to update photos and post my feedback on the Parasounds, hoping to do so by next week..I've been busy with some other projects, but soon.
I've got Parasound Halo amps as well as McIntosh. The Halo's are nice, have the black versions.

post #671 of 690 Old 10-01-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post
I've got Parasound Halo amps as well as McIntosh. The Halo's are nice, have the black versions.
Halo's here as well. Definitely like to get your impressions/comparisons
post #672 of 690 Old 11-03-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
I am also very interested in your take on the Parasound Halo vs the Macs and the Bryston sst2's you had briefly.
post #673 of 690 Old 01-27-2015, 11:28 AM

Thrang,

Any updates for us? I'm still curious about the McIntosh vs Halo comparison. But it's been long enough since you've updated the thread, I'm wondering if you're on to your next audio adventure?
post #674 of 690 Old 01-27-2015, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have been posting elsewhere, but not here for a while.. got sidetracked a bit with a headphone adventure.

No, the Halo's are still firmly in place, and I'll post some thoughts soon.

post #675 of 690 Old 03-14-2015, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Updated first post with current theater photos - all equipment, except for physical media players, are out of the room into a new rack in the basement. Projector now mounted on floating shelf. Some furniture rearrangement

Will post new equipment rack photos and thoughts on switching from McIntosh to Bryston to Parasound amplification soon

post #676 of 690 Old 03-15-2015, 07:48 PM

Thrang,

Looking good! I'm also looking forward to the updated rack pictures and your thoughts on the Halos!
post #677 of 690 Old 03-16-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking forward to your amp comparisons thrang. I've actually now heard a Parsound Halo amp on a pair of 802's. I would have to pop back into my dealer's to see which specific model it was, it definitely wasn't the JC1, it was a stereo or multichannel model.

post #678 of 690 Old 03-16-2015, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I posted the below in the Marantz 8802 thread regarding the amps:

Well to be fair, the McIntosh amps were the second most enjoyable amps I've owned, the Halo's being first. When you factor in cost differential, the gap between them grows.

I would not have tried the McIntosh amps unless I got a good deal, which I did.

The Mc amps were dead quiet, more than any other amp I've owned, and pretty much impervious to any ground or electrical noise. And they never ran hot, just mildly warm even when pushing them. And for hobbyists, I would bet the Mc brand has the best resale value.

The Halo's just perform better from low to high frequency. Their low-end attack is very ample and fast, high end is more open and spacious without being clinical or sharp. Midrange is not recessed either, and is very appealing.

I suppose a number of design differences, including the wide(r)band design and the option of running in high bias Class A mode are notable factors. The penalty is they are big, heavy, run HOT and are a little more finicky passing some ground or electrical noise. I've got them running quite silent, and with the rack in the basement beneath the theater, heat is not an issue.

I would crudely rank my amp ownership:

1 - Parasound
2 - McIntosh
3 - Earthquake
4 - Bryston
5 - Denon
6 - Emotiva
7 - Wyred 4 Sound

To add a little more to this...I'm probably being a little kind to the Brystons. I was distinctly disappointed with them after spending a month listening. A fellow AVS has actually followed the same path as me - from McIntosh to Bryston to Parasound.

I guess the best way I can put it is the Parasounds sound most "real" to me out of all the amps I've owned. I'm sure quite a bit is speaker, room, and preference dependent, but I would strongly recommend anyone looking to invest in high quality amplification, and can deal with the additional heat they can throw, should look closely at the Halo line.
markrubin likes this.

Last edited by thrang; 03-16-2015 at 03:19 PM.
post #679 of 690 Old 03-16-2015, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool, thanks

It's intersting how we all hear things differently. Different rooms and associated gear also playing a big factor. My thoughts on the Halo was more in line to your thoughts on the Brystons in that I wasn't all that impressed or maybe as impressed as I wanted to be is a better choice of words. What I heard was a smoothing of the midrange, a warmth if you will, similar to a tube sound. Nothing wrong with that as a lot of people go out of their way for that but for me I see it as an inaccurate reproduction of the source content. Like a guitar player using the mid controls on an amp. As a musician the test for me is that if I pick up an acoustic guitar and play a passage from a piece of music that what I hear coming out of the stereo system playing the same pece is as close as possible to reproducing that. The Sim Audio Moon gear my dealer has in the same room is incredibly accurate at doing this, I'm talking gosebump territory. So obviously room and associated equipment play a big part like we both mention. I'm kind of OCD about that with acoustic reproduction thus I couldn't live with a tube amp in my HT/Stereo setup. Funny thing though is tube amps are all I use for my electric guitar. I guess the difference here is that I'm the creator of the music

I would like to hear the JC1's though just in case there is something different about them compared to the other amps in the Halo lineup.

post #680 of 690 Old 03-16-2015, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Cool, thanks

It's intersting how we all hear things differently. Different rooms and associated gear also playing a big factor. My thoughts on the Halo was more in line to your thoughts on the Brystons in that I wasn't all that impressed or maybe as impressed as I wanted to be is a better choice of words. What I heard was a smoothing of the midrange, a warmth if you will, similar to a tube sound. Nothing wrong with that as a lot of people go out of their way for that but for me I see it as an inaccurate reproduction of the source content. Like a guitar player using the mid controls on an amp. As a musician the test for me is that if I pick up an acoustic guitar and play a passage from a piece of music that what I hear coming out of the stereo system playing the same pece is as close as possible to reproducing that. The Sim Audio Moon gear my dealer has in the same room is incredibly accurate at doing this, I'm talking gosebump territory. So obviously room and associated equipment play a big part like we both mention. I'm kind of OCD about that with acoustic reproduction thus I couldn't live with a tube amp in my HT/Stereo setup. Funny thing though is tube amps are all I use for my electric guitar. I guess the difference here is that I'm the creator of the music

I would like to hear the JC1's though just in case there is something different about them compared to the other amps in the Halo lineup.

What Halo's have to listened to before, the A51?

Here are the pertinent spec similarities and differences between the mono JC1 vs the five channel A51:

JC1
  • Ultra-high bias Class A/AB operation
  • Exclusive two position bias level adjustment
  • Balanced inputs with discrete circuits and XLR connectors
  • Direct Coupled - no capacitors or inductors in signal path
  • Complementary MOSFET driver stage and JFET input stage
  • 18 beta-matched 15 amp, 60 MHz bipolar output transistors
  • 1.9 kVA encapsulated toroid power transformer
  • Independent power supplies for input, driver and output stages
  • 18,000 µF filters for driver stage
  • 132,000 µF Nichicon Gold Tune filters for output stage
  • DC Servo and relay protection circuits
  • REL and Nichicon Muse capacitors
  • Harris hyper-fast soft recovery diodes for all bridge rectifiers

A51
  • High bias Class A/AB operation
  • Balanced inputs with discrete circuits and XLR connectors
  • Direct Coupled - no capacitors or inductors in signal path
  • Complementary MOSFET driver stage and JFET input stage
  • 40 beta-matched 15 amp, 60 MHz bipolar output transistors
  • 2.2 kVA encapsulated toroid power transformer with independent secondary windings for each channel
  • 164,000 µF power supply filter capacitance
  • DC Servo and relay protection circuits

I think most good mono block designs are better than multichannel (at least my experience), and the JC1 High Bias mode for Class A operation is the first 25 watts. I believe it is the first 5 watts for the A51.

Nonetheless, I respect that Bryston has a committed following, especially on the pro side - that was one of the reasons I gave it a go.

BTW, is the indent function working for anyone? I have indent tags around the specs, and nada...same with the post above highlighting my comments on amps from the 8802 thread.

post #681 of 690 Old 03-16-2015, 01:23 PM

I'll echo the thanks as I've been watching for your comparison. Having a Mc452 in my 2 channel rig, I was mesmerized by your photos when it was all Mac gear. I've been planning to upgrade my home theater over time and had visions of adding a Mc303 for LCR to go with my B&Ws. But I've seen Kal Rubison recommend Halo as a worthy alternative to Mac and the Halo A31 certainly has a more budget friendly price.

I'll be curious to see the rack pictures and how much space you gave them or what other steps taken to reduce the heat and/or ground hum issue since it's mentioned so much with Halo amps.
post #682 of 690 Old 03-16-2015, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

It was probably the A51 but I can't say for sure. Next time I'm at my dealer's to pick up some Siltech cables to bring home and demo I'll make sure to find out. The amp has been there for years apparently so perhaps it's an older design???

Nope, the specs are in bullet form for me but not indented.

If I had a car I would probably bring the Halo home to see if I come to the same conclusions. I would certainly love to try the Moon equipment at my place. That's a fabulous setup the dealer has, an integrated (I think) and a CD player, both like $10k a piece. The thing I don't like about the Moon gear is the overly large LED displays, they just look weird.

post #683 of 690 Old 03-16-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

McIntosh is another manufacturer I would love to try out, along with D'Agostino.

post #684 of 690 Old 03-16-2015, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Added the rack photos to the first post...

post #685 of 690 Old 03-16-2015, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'll echo the thanks as I've been watching for your comparison. Having a Mc452 in my 2 channel rig, I was mesmerized by your photos when it was all Mac gear. I've been planning to upgrade my home theater over time and had visions of adding a Mc303 for LCR to go with my B&Ws. But I've seen Kal Rubison recommend Halo as a worthy alternative to Mac and the Halo A31 certainly has a more budget friendly price.

I'll be curious to see the rack pictures and how much space you gave them or what other steps taken to reduce the heat and/or ground hum issue since it's mentioned so much with Halo amps.
Well heat is not much of an issue for me - the rack is in a brink lined basement, quite cool. I wouldn't have left them in the theater room however. There is a dehumidifer hosed to a sump pump for high humidity days, and an air cleaner. There are two Middle Atlantic rack fans in the rear drawing air out as well. The fans and air cleaner power on when the system turns on, as I use a trigger out from the MX-151 to the Furman's, which allow the lower outlets to be trigger controlled. Upper outlets are always on.

The slight noise for me was not a ground hum, but more of a hiss and very slight buzz from the A51, not audible except faintly at about 1.5 feet away. I rearranged which circuits were powering the A51 and the MX-151, and that eliminated the faint buzz. I'm wondering if the Parasound inputs are more sensitive than the McIntosh amps, because if I mute the 151 while the system is otherwise active, there is zero hiss or noise. It's so incidental I'm not bothering at the moment to see if its from the DTV or Tivo or some other device in the rack.

Last edited by thrang; 03-16-2015 at 03:17 PM.
post #686 of 690 Old 03-17-2015, 10:16 AM

Thanks again for updating us! I know everyone listens at different levels of loudness. But out of curiousity, when you had the mac gear, did you ever watch the meters to see what your wattage peaked at while enjoying movies? In my own situation, I know switching from an integrated amp with 125 watts per channel to the Mc452 changed the sound of my speakers--especially when I turn it up. But I watch the meters on the Mac and rarely do I get above 5 watts on a 4 ohm load. I'm all for overkill. But from that observation it looks like 250-300 watts would provide plenty of excess amplifier unless I change speakers to something more difficult to drive. Would you agree? Or do you subscribe to the more power is better philosophy?
post #687 of 690 Old 03-17-2015, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks again for updating us! I know everyone listens at different levels of loudness. But out of curiousity, when you had the mac gear, did you ever watch the meters to see what your wattage peaked at while enjoying movies? In my own situation, I know switching from an integrated amp with 125 watts per channel to the Mc452 changed the sound of my speakers--especially when I turn it up. But I watch the meters on the Mac and rarely do I get above 5 watts on a 4 ohm load. I'm all for overkill. But from that observation it looks like 250-300 watts would provide plenty of excess amplifier unless I change speakers to something more difficult to drive. Would you agree? Or do you subscribe to the more power is better philosophy?
Enough power, with some overhead for future speaker and room changes which might require additional wattage. This site helps...

http://www.crownaudio.com/en/tools/c...power_required

I think with the 601's a modest amount above 60 was about it on the meters - so maybe 200-300 watts. But I knew I was purchasing more power than needed. I wanted to try some of the technology in that model that's not in lower models, and I knew the resale on a mono block would be strong if I ever moved on...funny, it was opposite with the Bryston's - the 3-channel 6bsst2 got me the best price, while the 7bsst2 were much more of a struggle to sell.

Last edited by thrang; 03-17-2015 at 12:41 PM.
post #688 of 690 Old 03-17-2015, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the feedback and the link. I'll be sure to check it out.

I happen to be moving soon. So as part of packing up my system, I'm planning to swap out the Sonus Fabers in the 2 channel for the B&Ws used for surround system to compare and contrast. It'll also be interesting to see how the power demands vary between the speakers. Of course, just saying this outloud may confirm my nerd status with my wife...
post #689 of 690 Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
McIntosh is another manufacturer I would love to try out, along with D'Agostino.
I'd like to add to your list the ATI 6002 amplifier
One of the greatest designed amp from a company that design for marklevinson and others
post #690 of 690 Old Today, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I suspect I would like ATI because everything I have heard about their amps leads me to believe they are very neutral like the Brystons.

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Mcintosh Labs , B W , Jl Audio Fathom F113 Gloss 13 5 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Med1000x3d Hd 3d Multimedia Player
Gear in this thread