Thrang's Home Theater (for now...) - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 719 Old 04-25-2015, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Updated the first post in this thread with the new ceiling upgrade...I'll post a little more detail and a few build out photos a little later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 719 Old 04-25-2015, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For a few different reasons, I decided to install a drop ceiling in my theater, beneath the existing sheetrock ceiling. Since the ceiling was a little over 9 feet high, I could afford a 6-7" drop without any feeling of being cramped.

Especially, I was hoping to:

1) mitigate sound transfer to my daughter's bedroom above
2) improve sound in the room
3) eliminate the white reflective ceiling and improve screen image quality
4) provide an easy chase to pre-wire for in ceiling elevation speakers

I went with CertainTeed's Theater Black 2x2 tiles, a semi-rigid spun fiberglass tile with a flat black fabric surface, in 5/8". I then backed all tiles with cut Owens Corning 703 foil faced board, 2" thick. Installation was a combination of myself, my son, a friend, and a professional.

I also added 8 Auralex T'fusor diffusion tiles in the ceiling to scatter some sound, but just absorb. They come white, but I painted them flat black, which I also did for my AC air diffusers.

It begins

My son installed the hangers, screwed through the drywall and resilient channel layer into the laminate beams above

Using an old in-walll speaker location to chase ceiling speaker wires up from the basement rack location

This was a bitch job...

post #693 of 719 Old 04-25-2015, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For the AC air diffuser, the drop was too short, nor could I find any obvious adapter to connect to the 8 x 8 box, which was finished flush with the existing sheetrock -

so we improvised, screwing the diffuser into a sandwhich of finished tile/OC703 board (to anchors, shown below on the backside), and then making 8x8 (inside dimension) collars from the OC board (so open on top and bottom) taped with aluminum duct tape. The height was measured to be a snug fit between the sheetrock and the inside of the OC board. We then simply slid the collar between the ceiling and the diffuser/panel "sandwich"', and the snug fit lets the air fall right through from the sheet metal box above through the diffuser in the tile.

markrubin likes this.

Last edited by thrang; 04-30-2015 at 02:53 PM.
post #694 of 719 Old 04-26-2015, 07:17 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 672
That's a good idea Thrang you've got me thinking!!

Frank

Frank

Last edited by markrubin; 04-26-2015 at 08:56 AM. Reason: for mobile readers!
post #695 of 719 Old 04-26-2015, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thrang, what ceiling speakers are you going to use? How many...and describe placement in relation to your one row of theater chairs? Thanks.
post #696 of 719 Old 04-26-2015, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Thrang, what ceiling speakers are you going to use? How many...and describe placement in relation to your one row of theater chairs? Thanks.
I will likely use the KEF CI200RR-THX, which apparently have a dispersion that exceeds the spec...I will post more about positioning in the next few days
post #697 of 719 Old 04-26-2015, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi Thrang,

Since you have expercience with Mcintosh and Parasound and B&W I think I should ask you this question.

I bought B&W CT8.4 frontspeakers (3) and I'm hesitating between 2 amps: McIntosh mc207 and a Parasound A51+A31.

Is there a big difference in SQ between these amps?

Any advise is welcome.....
post #698 of 719 Old 04-26-2015, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miliotov View Post
Hi Thrang,

Since you have expercience with Mcintosh and Parasound and B&W I think I should ask you this question.

I bought B&W CT8.4 frontspeakers (3) and I'm hesitating between 2 amps: McIntosh mc207 and a Parasound A51+A31.

Is there a big difference in SQ between these amps?

Any advise is welcome.....
I started with a McIntosh 7 channel amp, then went to two channel and finally the 601 monoblocks...

I am running the Parasound monoblocks for the front, and the A51 for surrounds...I do prefer the Parasound sound and would not revert.
post #699 of 719 Old 04-27-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Seeing all that work going on around your speakers makes me cringe. I see a guy getting way to close for comfort in one of your pics. No way would I have had the speakers in there during the renno, you are very trusting of the workers

post #700 of 719 Old 04-27-2015, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Seeing all that work going on around your speakers makes me cringe. I see a guy getting way to close for comfort in one of your pics. No way would I have had the speakers in there during the renno, you are very trusting of the workers
I know, but really no option to remove them easily and on the short timeline, and the room is sunken so they'd have to be carried out up a few steps...I hovered around speakers as work approached them, and used some blankets at times...
post #701 of 719 Old 05-04-2015, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ten star field tiles should be delivered early next week...five wide, two deep over the seating area...
post #702 of 719 Old 05-05-2015, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 25
That will be a nice touch. Thought about having my ceiling painted with glow in the dark stars. Haven't done it yet.
post #703 of 719 Old 05-12-2015, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 313
That is a stellar system. I am sure it sounds fantastic.

Enjoy !

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 + A21 + A51 | Revel Salon2 (coming soon (I hope), Voice2, Studio2 | Velodyne HGS-15
post #704 of 719 Old 05-13-2015, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Ultimate setup if it has Black diamond screen
post #705 of 719 Old 05-13-2015, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1000i View Post
Ultimate setup if it has Black diamond screen
I never explored much because they don't make a screen large enough, or at least they didn't...
post #706 of 719 Old 07-21-2015, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update on my KEF CI200RR-THX ceiling speakers for elevation channels...my asinine idea securing them in the grid alone was not working, as they were rolling off around 250 hz...so it became Hammertime...

Because of the open back design of the speakers, I was getting some leakage through the 2 inches of OC703 and 5/3 Certainteed tile sandwich, and my stiffener board for the speakers wasn't stiff enough, so there must have been a fair amount of cancellation occurring. So a back box made the most sense, though it is somewhat a PITA to do this around a ceiling grid, and KEF doesn't make one..

Based on KEF's published documentation and confirmed after speakers with a 25 KEF veteran, the enclosure needed to be minimally .71 cubic feet for optimal LF response (you could build it more than minimal but it wouldn't do anything further). Based on the desire to have the finished boxes protrude just about 2" into the room so I had some options to trim ceiling tile around it, my average exterior box size for 1/2 MDF was 16x16x8.5 (they vary in depth based on the uneven original ceiling above the level grid)

We built the top plate two inches larger all the way around as a flange for attaching to the ceiling.

Then sprayed an adhesive inside each box and lined with some insulation

Needs more paint!

To make the job easier, I purchased an adjustable pole jail from Home Despot...

Screws and toggles being used to secure to the ceiling.

We were able to hit three flanges with screws into joists. The fourth side we used a better 3/8 toggles like these

The boxes aren't that heavy, perhaps 15-20 pounds, and the speaker is 8.

Almost finished

The remaining issues are finishing...I don't like the painted MDF, so may look at applying a laminate finish in place. And getting the ceiling tiles to fit nicely around the box is an issue, will likely cut a tile straight in half and try and measure out the cube cut out as accurately as possible...

This is where things are at right now...good enough for the moment!

Just started to test, but it looks like the rolloff is now somewhere between 90 and 60 (fronts measure better than rears, but at this point, thats room location as the boxes and speakers are the same)
audiofan1, eng-399 and bombertodd like this.
post #707 of 719 Old 07-22-2015, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Nice work
post #708 of 719 Old 07-23-2015, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Thrang's Home Theater (for now...)

Thrang can you post a picture of the entire ceiling with the speakers up there. I'm planning on doing this next to my room and reading everyone's thread trying to figure out how to get done. Btw great job it looks great!!! Thanks

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...oot-boxes.html
The STONE HAMMERS sub box build 4/20 cubic boxes tuned @ 16hz.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...land-area.html
2015 GTG meet Plainfield IL. (Chicago land area)
post #709 of 719 Old 07-23-2015, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Thrang can you post a picture of the entire ceiling with the speakers up there. I'm planning on doing this next to my room and reading everyone's thread trying to figure out how to get done. Btw great job it looks great!!! Thanks
Well if you look at the main page there are some wider shots of the ceiling prior to the boxes going in, but I'd never be able to shoot all four locations in one frame. Not only dimensionally but black boxes on a black ceiling will have very little detail

I'll see if there is an angle that is somewhat representwtive
post #710 of 719 Old 07-23-2015, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for trying I went through your build thread before posting the last comment to see if you had any pics of the ceiling completed. I'm late jumping in here but love what you did to your room congrats!

post #711 of 719 Old 07-23-2015, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Thanks for trying I went through your build thread before posting the last comment to see if you had any pics of the ceiling completed. I'm late jumping in here but love what you did to your room congrats!
First page has lots of ceiling shots...what more specifically would be helpful?
post #712 of 719 Old 07-23-2015, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I found the pictures wow very impressive! I was viewing it first through tapatalk on my phone and the first post wasn't showing the pictures. I went to my laptop and they showed up. The whole room as a whole is so nice. I bet it sounds great in there!

post #713 of 719 Old 07-26-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Age is catching up to me..................

Looked very carefully on page one for two inch intrusions from Kef's....................call me blind, but couldn't see them.
post #714 of 719 Old 07-26-2015, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Age is catching up to me..................

Looked very carefully on page one for two inch intrusions from Kef's....................call me blind, but couldn't see them.
No, the main photos are not with the boxes yet, but I interpreted the request from eng-399 to see the entires ceiling, which, within wide-angle limits, shows the positions of the speakers in their prior mounting attempt...haven't retaken the whole room yet.

A few post prior is a shot of one of the boxes protruding through the drop ceiling...still need to complete that dressing on all four speakers properly, but probably not until next weekend at earliest...
post #715 of 719 Old 07-28-2015, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
cool thread. Thanks!

I'm looking at these KEFs for my Atmos upgrade, and my question is that I've got a large attic (insulated) above the ceiling where they would go (tall, A-frame living room), so the open volume behind the speakers is enormous (basically, the attic to the whole house). I know you mentioned a minimum volume behind these, with no benefit going bigger, but is there a problem with going virtually infinite open-space behind these speakers? I'm not worried about sound leak above (single story) or to other rooms.

Thanks!
post #716 of 719 Old 08-16-2015, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
[QUOTE=thrang;19119782]Quote:Originally Posted by WestCoastD

killer set-up man, wish I had a room like that. Thanks for posting

Thanks for the feedback - it takes time, and lots of misguided money, is all I can say...[/QUOTE

Ain't that the truth.
post #717 of 719 Old 08-28-2015, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quick shot of the the star field over the seats...need to redo a few photos in the first post, and will add a few more star field shots when I do...

Nothing major, just keeping the thread up to date...

post #718 of 719 Old Today, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post
cool thread. Thanks!

I'm looking at these KEFs for my Atmos upgrade, and my question is that I've got a large attic (insulated) above the ceiling where they would go (tall, A-frame living room), so the open volume behind the speakers is enormous (basically, the attic to the whole house). I know you mentioned a minimum volume behind these, with no benefit going bigger, but is there a problem with going virtually infinite open-space behind these speakers? I'm not worried about sound leak above (single story) or to other rooms.

Thanks!
Well, I think KEF looks at the speaker going into a typical sheetrock wall, which has natural stud and outside wall/upper floor backing, usually with insulation around it and a solid, non-flexing mount. If you're talking bare ass naked driver into the void of outer space, I'm not sure...I would call KEF and describe your specific installation. Remember, they don't make back boxes, so you need to make your own.
post #719 of 719 Old Today, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Updated first post will new theater room photos, emphasizing new Atmos speaker install with custom back boxes.

Boxes need more finishing, the tile surrounds are temporary as I don't like how they are fitting...
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Mcintosh Labs , B W , Jl Audio Fathom F113 Gloss 13 5 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Med1000x3d Hd 3d Multimedia Player
Gear in this thread