Thrang's Home Theater (for now...) - Page 24 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 693 Old Today, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Updated the first post in this thread with the new ceiling upgrade...I'll post a little more detail and a few build out photos a little later

Listening: Constantinople from "Modern Cool" by Patricia Barber (Rating 8/10) • Watching: "Captain America: The First Avenger" (Blu Ray ISO) (Rating 9/10)
Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - McIntosh MX-151 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 693 Old Today, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For a few different reasons, I decided to install a drop ceiling in my theater, beneath the existing sheetrock ceiling. Since the ceiling was a little over 9 feet high, I could afford a 6-7" drop without any feeling of being cramped.

Especially, I was hoping to:

1) mitigate sound transfer to my daughter's bedroom above
2) improve sound in the room
3) eliminate the white reflective ceiling and improve screen image quality
4) provide an easy chase to pre-wire for in ceiling elevation speakers

I went with CertainTeed's Theater Black 2x2 tiles, a semi-rigid spun fiberglass tile with a flat black fabric surface, in 5/8". I then backed all tiles with cut Owens Corning 703 foil faced board, 2" thick. Installation was a combination of myself, my son, a friend, and a professional.

I also added 8 Auralex T'fusor diffusion tiles in the ceiling to scatter some sound, but just absorb. They come white, but I painted them flat black, which I also did for my AC air diffusers.

It begins

My son installed the hangers, screwed through the drywall and resilient channel layer into the laminate beams above

Using an old in-walll speaker location to chase ceiling speaker wires up from the basement rack location

This was a bitch job...

Listening: Constantinople from "Modern Cool" by Patricia Barber (Rating 8/10) • Watching: "Captain America: The First Avenger" (Blu Ray ISO) (Rating 9/10)
Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - McIntosh MX-151 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k
post #693 of 693 Old Today, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For the AC air diffuser, the drop was too short, nor could I find any obvious adapter to connect to the 8 x 8 box, which was finished flush with the existing sheetrock -

so we improvised, screwing the diffuser into a sandwhich of finished tile/OC703 board (to anchors, shown below on the backside), and then making 8x8 (inside dimension) collars from the OC board (so open on top and bottom) taped with aluminum duct tape. The height was measured to be a snug fit between the sheetrock and the inside of the OC board. We then simply slid the collar between the ceiling the diffuser, annd the snug fit lets the air fall right through from the sheet metal box above through the diffuser in the tile.

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Mcintosh Labs , B W , Jl Audio Fathom F113 Gloss 13 5 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Med1000x3d Hd 3d Multimedia Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page