Thrang's Home Theater (for now...) - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 30Likes
post #751 of 780 Unread 07-12-2016, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Just saw this thread for the first time. So awesome! This is my dream system haha
Which version? The what was or what will be. What you see in the pictures is now gone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 780 Unread 07-12-2016, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Which version? The what was or what will be. What you see in the pictures is now gone.
Both! I'm a B&W fan myself - even though I use my system for 80% movies - 20% music, and I have a much lower line (600 series). More-so just the robustness of the system. I say this in the most non-creepy way possible but MAN would I like to watch a movie in there haha
post #753 of 780 Unread 07-13-2016, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2212 Post(s)
Liked: 1509
@thrang

I'm sure you will not regret this decision

How did you arrive at the M2's? A very fine choice indeed
post #754 of 780 Unread 07-13-2016, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Haha...mostly... 803's and Fathoms still up for sale. A51 sold today so the JC-1's also still up.

Have to get a new carpet ordered soon, and decide on room orientation to build the screen wall. May keep it the way it it's on further reflection...not sure.

First order from Harman is in transit, second soon. But until the carpet is replaced, nothing gets installed...

FS: JKP Affinity .09 Fixed Frame 2.35 screen, 12.5 feet wide - PM for details, ad not posted yet

Thrang's Home Theater, For Now...
post #755 of 780 Unread 07-13-2016, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
@thrang

I'm sure you will not regret this decision

How did you arrive at the M2's? A very fine choice indeed
Well, adidino (my dealer) provided a great demo that's for sure...but more fundamentally, I wanted to try a system with more of a dedicated theater heritage, especially since I hadn't been listening to music as much in that room lately. Though I understand the M2's can be quite good for music as well.

As a tweaker, I wanted to try the digital parametric eq amps to specific speaker profiles, and the more slender design of the M2's lets me do a false wall with the woven screen, while the B&W's are far too large, and need more room behind them.

It could be a mistake, but I don't think so.

FS: JKP Affinity .09 Fixed Frame 2.35 screen, 12.5 feet wide - PM for details, ad not posted yet

post #756 of 780 Unread 07-13-2016, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 433
I am a huge JBL fan and I am looking forward to seeing how your upgrades work out.
post #757 of 780 Unread 07-13-2016, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I am a huge JBL fan and I am looking forward to seeing how your upgrades work out.
Yep, will post here of course and on the new JBL thread...

post #758 of 780 Unread 07-13-2016, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Yep, will post here of course and on the new JBL thread...
Good deal.

I love how popular JBL has become on here in the last 1-2 years.

My system consists of the cinema gear: 3 x 4722N's and 8 x SCS8's. I went through A LOT of speakers that cost MUCH more than what I have now, but I couldn't be happier with how my system sounds.
Gooddoc likes this.
post #759 of 780 Unread 07-13-2016, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, adidino (my dealer) provided a great demo that's for sure...but more fundamentally, I wanted to try a system with more of a dedicated theater heritage, especially since I hadn't been listening to music as much in that room lately. Though I understand the M2's can be quite good for music as well.

As a tweaker, I wanted to try the digital parametric eq amps to specific speaker profiles, and the more slender design of the M2's lets me do a false wall with the woven screen, while the B&W's are far too large, and need more room behind them.

It could be a mistake, but I don't think so.
More than quite good for music . I enjoy the M2's more for music than anything else. But you just can't predict any particular individuals preference, so maybe you'll hate them .
I see you're selling your B&W's, great speakers, GLWS.

Last edited by Gooddoc; 07-13-2016 at 08:11 PM.
post #760 of 780 Unread 07-13-2016, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Good deal.

I love how popular JBL has become on here in the last 1-2 years.

My system consists of the cinema gear: 3 x 4722N's and 8 x SCS8's. I went through A LOT of speakers that cost MUCH more than what I have now, but I couldn't be happier with how my system sounds.
That's great to hear...

post #761 of 780 Unread 07-14-2016, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
Your room was one of my favorite multi-purpose rooms. I think you will be more than pleased with your move to JBL. At the last CEDIA I attended, their demo was incredible, particularly the bass.

If I were starting from scratch, I think I would stick with the speakers I have but certainly all would go behind a much larger screen. Like you, my music listening has greatly diminished and music was the only reason I placed the L + R out in the room. But I won't be starting over, so other than trying to push the L + R closer to the front wall so those sitting on the outside seats don't have to stare at speakers, it will pretty much stay the same. ---- unless it doesn't. After all, this addiction hobby wouldn't be as much fun if we didn't change stuff one in a while [or more frequently].

Enjoy your new room.
post #762 of 780 Unread 07-15-2016, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Oh you had a long night?

Quote:
Long night tonight - sold the 800's, 802's, and htm2d center... 803's , Fathom 113v2's, and Parasound JC-1's and an A-51 remain

Yes, a subtle change...

More later, but trying a JBL Synthesis system - 5 M2's, 2 SCL-4's, and 2 S2S-EX subwoofers. Crown Drive Core Network DCi amplifiers
You think YOU had a long night? I was the one who had to drive a thousand pounds of speakers home on 287 and then unload them!

Folks, happy to have found this thread and just want to mention that I bought thrang's "scraps". Couldn't have been more pleased with the overall transaction - ultra professional in every way - and every piece in his room is totally pristine. These speakers were all essentially mint.

Can't wait to follow this thread now to see how the heck he tops what he just dismantled.

post #763 of 780 Unread 07-15-2016, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Your room was one of my favorite multi-purpose rooms. I think you will be more than pleased with your move to JBL. At the last CEDIA I attended, their demo was incredible, particularly the bass.

If I were starting from scratch, I think I would stick with the speakers I have but certainly all would go behind a much larger screen. Like you, my music listening has greatly diminished and music was the only reason I placed the L + R out in the room. But I won't be starting over, so other than trying to push the L + R closer to the front wall so those sitting on the outside seats don't have to stare at speakers, it will pretty much stay the same. ---- unless it doesn't. After all, this addiction hobby wouldn't be as much fun if we didn't change stuff one in a while [or more frequently].

Enjoy your new room.
Thanks - yes, the well-worn phrase 'the journey is the reward' is a significant factor for me. But this is the first time I've change virtually everything, save source equipment, at the same time.

I am building a screen wall and have a Seymour woven AT screen on order. Since the wall will be 24-26 inches into the room, and thus closer, I'm dropping from a 12 to 11 foot wide 2.35 screen.

Last edited by thrang; 07-15-2016 at 07:02 PM.
post #764 of 780 Unread 07-15-2016, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Thanks - yes, the well-worn phrase 'the journey is the reward' is a significant factor for me. But this is the first time I've change virtually everything, save source equipment, at the same time.

I am building a screen wall and have a Seymour woven AT screen on order. Sine the wall will 24-26 inches into the room, and thus closer, I'm dropping from a 12 to 11 foot wide 2.35 screen.

I completely agree! I have just as much fun setting everything up and tweaking it as I do actually sitting down and listening to it!
thrang likes this.

My Current "Living Room" Home Theater!
===========================================
Receiver:Pioneer Elite VSX-44
Fronts: B&W 684 S1 — Center: B&W CM Center S2
Surrounds: B&W 685 S1 — Subwoofer: Rhythmic FV15HP
Rear Surrounds: Polk Audio T15 — Front Heights: Polk Audio T15
post #765 of 780 Unread 07-15-2016, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erniethebarkingcat View Post
You think YOU had a long night? I was the one who had to drive a thousand pounds of speakers home on 287 and then unload them!

Folks, happy to have found this thread and just want to mention that I bought thrang's "scraps". Couldn't have been more pleased with the overall transaction - ultra professional in every way - and every piece in his room is totally pristine. These speakers were all essentially mint.

Can't wait to follow this thread now to see how the heck he tops what he just dismantled.

Hey Danny good to see you drop in here. It was a pleasure to meet you and do business with you, and make a new hobbyist friend. I look forward to some photos once everything is set up

Of course, if you find room for the 803's and JL subs, they miss their brothers...

post #766 of 780 Unread 09-05-2016, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally updated the first post in this thread with a partial new equipment list, and a few new photos of the JBL setup...more to come...

post #767 of 780 Unread 09-05-2016, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Your new front sound stage looks amazing! I enjoy seeing another new JBL Pro member.

How much longer until your new screen and projector get installed?
post #768 of 780 Unread 09-06-2016, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Your new front sound stage looks amazing! I enjoy seeing another new JBL Pro member.

How much longer until your new screen and projector get installed?
Screen is actually in, it was just taken down to do some work on the wall and final cleaning of the speakers and carpet behind.

Projector ETA is still to be determined.

post #769 of 780 Unread 09-06-2016, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Screen is actually in, it was just taken down to do some work on the wall and final cleaning of the speakers and carpet behind.

Nice room, I bet those M2's rock!

How have you found the SCL4's? And I note you have installed them upside down, out of interest, what was the thinking behind that decision?
post #770 of 780 Unread 09-06-2016, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Nice room, I bet those M2's rock!

How have you found the SCL4's? And I note you have installed them upside down, out of interest, what was the thinking behind that decision?
SCL-4's have no "right" orientation...you install as your requirements dictate. In my case, I wanted the compression driver around ear height, and installing the other way would have put the woofer below the chair line...

And yes, the M2's are incredible speakers...thanks

Last edited by thrang; 09-06-2016 at 05:41 AM.
post #771 of 780 Unread 09-06-2016, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now that I look back at the pictures, I should have noticed that.

Sorry about that.

Everything looks great so far.
post #772 of 780 Unread 09-06-2016, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
SCL-4's have no "right" orientation...you install as your requirements dictate. In my case, I wanted the compression driver around ear height, and installing the other way would have put the woofer below the chair line...

And yes, the M2's are incredible speakers...thanks
Thanks, I wasn't suggesting the orientation was at all wrong, I was just interested in the reasons for the orientation you chose, because I have to make a similar decision when I come to install mine later this month, so thanks for confirming.

Have you got the compression driver precisely at ear height then, or slightly above?
post #773 of 780 Unread 09-06-2016, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Thanks, I wasn't suggesting the orientation was at all wrong, I was just interested in the reasons for the orientation you chose, because I have to make a similar decision when I come to install mine later this month, so thanks for confirming.

Have you got the compression driver precisely at ear height then, or slightly above?
No worries...

Slightly above, maybe three/four inches...

post #774 of 780 Unread 09-06-2016, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Preliminary comments on JBL M2/SCL-4/Crown DCi installation…

For those that haven't followed this thread, I recently changed from an all B&W Diamond setup (800D2, 802D2, 803D2 and HTMD2) with dual JL Audio Fathom 113 v2 subwoofers and Parasound Halo mono block and multichannel amps.

It was a great setup in many ways, and the best I’ve owned to this point by far.

But for a few reasons, I decided to take the plunge to make a substantial change (less music listening in the theater, optimal market time to sell, and the hobbyist’s desire for trying something new…) So I spoke with my dealer, AudioXtream in NJ (Tony is the owner, adidino here on AVS), got a demo, and committed to the complete overhaul. This also gave me the opportunity to change out the lighter colored rug that had been in there since 1994 to a more appropriate darker set of tones.

Demo’s only get you to a point, as there is far more dissimilar between the demo setup and your own space than there is similar. So no matter how much due diligence you conduct, there is a certain level of a "bungee jump” feel when you go for it. Fortunately, in this case, the ride has been exhilarating.

I am experiencing far greater improvement over my prior setup than I hoped for or expected - and obviously, there is nothing slummy about what I owned prior! It is important to note that these comments are preliminary and focus on movie listening (and multichannel concert BD’s), not traditional two channel music to this point. It’s also important to note that I am now running three identical mains behind an AT screen vs two 800’s and an HTMD2 below a non AT screen, so there is a substantive difference there. The four in-ceiling speakers remain the same between both the old and new setups - KEF CI200rr-THX

Accounting for all that the best my objective mind can, one of the first things I noticed was how natural everything sounded, especially the quality of dialogue. Running the M2’s at full range, including the center, probably contributes a great deal to this, but the compression driver and waveguide are probably the larger difference. If there was a hint a nasally sound with the HTMD2, it is absent from the M2 - unless its in the recording. I cannot underestimate the importance of this naturalness - there is a real, almost a live quality of the presentation (presuming the material is well recorded)

The system is also incredibly detailed, revealing elements of soundtracks that I’ve simply not heard before. The subtlest footstep in Ratatoullie, the little twang of a bowstring when Jake snaps the string against his chest in Avatar (before jumping down into the leaves and trees), or wisp of wind in the Revenant. Listening to Peter Gabriel’s orchestral concert BD was especially telling in how much more character was revealed in every horn note or vibration of bow and string. It’s the kind of performance that actually gave me a Chris Matthew’s tingle up my leg more than once.

The system is also far more dynamic than before, and seems to play cleaner and more effortlessly throughout all volumes levels, but especially louder. No fatigue or harshness, something c.d.’s are sometimes known for. This is a very different beast. The transition from quiet to loud, especially articulated sounds such as punches, bullets, kick drums, and other types of impacts, is quite visceral. The Talking Heads Stop Making Sense concert BD is one of the best recorded concerts I’ve heard, and as busy of some of the tracks can get, you never hear the sounds run together or smear - you can pick out virtually everything.

Finally, the surround bubble - as good as it was before - is even more enveloping and convincing - there is more depth and breadth, not only on the front soundstage, but around the room. The atmospherics in The Revenant and Avatar are remarkable for example. Panning and dialogue placement is superb (I find a number of Pixar titles great tests of this, as small changes in character position are matched with the dialogue location from center, to center left, to center right, etc. I also find my KEF CI-200rr-THX ceiling speakers (configured and located as Top Front and Top Rear match well with the JBL’s. I sort of think there will always be some sonic differences, even with the same driver type, given the angle of incidence differences between elevation and bed speakers. Even so, playing the Atmos Demo disc, (which makes great use of panning on three or four of the tracks) presented a high degree of integrity as sounds passed overhead from left to right or front to back. Maybe I can do a little better up there, but I’m in no rush or sense any need to make a change.

Regarding the M2/SCL-4 blend, I need to listen to that aspect more, but from what I’ve experienced to date, the sonic characteristics are quite close, but not identical. To be fair, because of room configuration, my rears are probably 12-18 inches further apart than they probably should be, but overall, the integration is very believable and natural.

I still have more to do, especially fine tuning the EQ, especially the low end. There a million things one can do in the DCi amps, but what’s especially nice is the ability to use an internal EQ to fine tune each speakers response.But overall, LFE is startlingly deep and clean, and again, very dynamic and quick, and has already surpassed my prior setup.

More thoughts as time goes by, but wanted to get some early feedback posted...
adidino, Gooddoc, hermosa and 4 others like this.

post #775 of 780 Unread 09-06-2016, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I cannot underestimate the importance of this naturalness - there is a real, almost a live quality of the presentation (presuming the material is well recorded)......

....The Talking Heads Stop Making Sense concert BD is one of the best recorded concerts I’ve heard, and as busy of some of the tracks can get, you never hear the sounds run together or smear - you can pick out virtually everything.
These are probably the two traits that separate the M2 from every other speaker I've personally heard. You refer to it as naturalness, and I typically refer to it as timbre accuracy, but same thing.
post #776 of 780 Unread 09-09-2016, 05:59 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2077 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
Looks good Thrang

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #777 of 780 Unread 09-09-2016, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I'm really excited for you! I know you're just getting started on listening, so I'll be curious as to your opinion on the JL Audio subs vs. the JBL subs.

Thanks,
Dave

FOR SALE: JVC RS500 - mint condition - send me a PM, if interested
post #778 of 780 Unread 09-13-2016, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
For those that haven't followed this thread, I recently changed from an all B&W Diamond setup (800D2, 802D2, 803D2 and HTMD2) with dual JL Audio Fathom 113 v2 subwoofers and Parasound Halo mono block and multichannel amps.

It was a great setup in many ways, and the best I’ve owned to this point by far.

But for a few reasons, I decided to take the plunge to make a substantial change (less music listening in the theater, optimal market time to sell, and the hobbyist’s desire for trying something new…) So I spoke with my dealer, AudioXtream in NJ (Tony is the owner, adidino here on AVS), got a demo, and committed to the complete overhaul. This also gave me the opportunity to change out the lighter colored rug that had been in there since 1994 to a more appropriate darker set of tones.

Demo’s only get you to a point, as there is far more dissimilar between the demo setup and your own space than there is similar. So no matter how much due diligence you conduct, there is a certain level of a "bungee jump” feel when you go for it. Fortunately, in this case, the ride has been exhilarating.

I am experiencing far greater improvement over my prior setup than I hoped for or expected - and obviously, there is nothing slummy about what I owned prior! It is important to note that these comments are preliminary and focus on movie listening (and multichannel concert BD’s), not traditional two channel music to this point. It’s also important to note that I am now running three identical mains behind an AT screen vs two 800’s and an HTMD2 below a non AT screen, so there is a substantive difference there. The four in-ceiling speakers remain the same between both the old and new setups - KEF CI200rr-THX

Accounting for all that the best my objective mind can, one of the first things I noticed was how natural everything sounded, especially the quality of dialogue. Running the M2’s at full range, including the center, probably contributes a great deal to this, but the compression driver and waveguide are probably the larger difference. If there was a hint a nasally sound with the HTMD2, it is absent from the M2 - unless its in the recording. I cannot underestimate the importance of this naturalness - there is a real, almost a live quality of the presentation (presuming the material is well recorded)

The system is also incredibly detailed, revealing elements of soundtracks that I’ve simply not heard before. The subtlest footstep in Ratatoullie, the little twang of a bowstring when Jake snaps the string against his chest in Avatar (before jumping down into the leaves and trees), or wisp of wind in the Revenant. Listening to Peter Gabriel’s orchestral concert BD was especially telling in how much more character was revealed in every horn note or vibration of bow and string. It’s the kind of performance that actually gave me a Chris Matthew’s tingle up my leg more than once.

The system is also far more dynamic than before, and seems to play cleaner and more effortlessly throughout all volumes levels, but especially louder. No fatigue or harshness, something c.d.’s are sometimes known for. This is a very different beast. The transition from quiet to loud, especially articulated sounds such as punches, bullets, kick drums, and other types of impacts, is quite visceral. The Talking Heads Stop Making Sense concert BD is one of the best recorded concerts I’ve heard, and as busy of some of the tracks can get, you never hear the sounds run together or smear - you can pick out virtually everything.

Finally, the surround bubble - as good as it was before - is even more enveloping and convincing - there is more depth and breadth, not only on the front soundstage, but around the room. The atmospherics in The Revenant and Avatar are remarkable for example. Panning and dialogue placement is superb (I find a number of Pixar titles great tests of this, as small changes in character position are matched with the dialogue location from center, to center left, to center right, etc. I also find my KEF CI-200rr-THX ceiling speakers (configured and located as Top Front and Top Rear match well with the JBL’s. I sort of think there will always be some sonic differences, even with the same driver type, given the angle of incidence differences between elevation and bed speakers. Even so, playing the Atmos Demo disc, (which makes great use of panning on three or four of the tracks) presented a high degree of integrity as sounds passed overhead from left to right or front to back. Maybe I can do a little better up there, but I’m in no rush or sense any need to make a change.

Regarding the M2/SCL-4 blend, I need to listen to that aspect more, but from what I’ve experienced to date, the sonic characteristics are quite close, but not identical. To be fair, because of room configuration, my rears are probably 12-18 inches further apart than they probably should be, but overall, the integration is very believable and natural.

I still have more to do, especially fine tuning the EQ, especially the low end. There a million things one can do in the DCi amps, but what’s especially nice is the ability to use an internal EQ to fine tune each speakers response.But overall, LFE is startlingly deep and clean, and again, very dynamic and quick, and has already surpassed my prior setup.

More thoughts as time goes by, but wanted to get some early feedback posted...
I got goosebumps just reading your review. Saweet!
post #779 of 780 Unread Yesterday, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Hadn't posted anything about the family room setup, but did a few upgrades this week, partly because the Integra 20.4 networking shat the bed, and had an issue with one of the B&W M1 speakers. So replaced the receiver with a Marantz, and took my KEF LS-50's which were sitting idle in my office, put them to use in the family room, and matched center and surrounds...

Equipment List

Marantz NR1506
KEF LS-50 (x5)
B&W ASW608 subwoofer
Dune Media Player
DirecTV, TiVo, AppleTV (shared from Octava 4x4 whole home HDMI/ethernet matrix switch)
Roomie Remote/iPad 2
Bello's SP 300 speaker stands
B-Tech BT77 side clamping speaker stands

Your theater setup is great, but back in your family room, what is the furniture you have for the TV setup? Thanks. SJ
post #780 of 780 Unread Yesterday, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Your theater setup is great, but back in your family room, what is the furniture you have for the TV setup? Thanks. SJ
Ikea!

It is the Besta line, but as usual, they've changed things - I don't see the back panel available anymore, and not sure the gloss doors are available either...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Mcintosh Labs , B W , Jl Audio Fathom F113 Gloss 13 5 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Med1000x3d Hd 3d Multimedia Player
Gear in this thread