Thrang's Home Theater (for now...) - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2016, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
JonasHansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Denmark
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Looks amazing !Lookign forward to seeing the completed version!

Any reason you chose the S2S-EX and not S1S-EX or SUB18?

EDIT: Another question: Why did you go with multiple 2x600w amps and not the 8x600w? (I'm asking because I am planning on what amps I should use with the M2 myself and love the simåplicity of the 8-channel version)

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.

Last edited by JonasHansen; 10-05-2016 at 01:01 AM.
JonasHansen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-06-2016, 05:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hey thrang,
Sweet setup. I'm looking at getting M2s for LCR,4xs4s subs and Revel surrounds + atmos. Powered by 4xsda-4600, 1xsda-8300.
My question is, is it really necessary to get the sdec ? My dealer says it's not truly a sysnthesis system without an sdec. Can you help me out with this ?

Also can i use crown dci 8/300 and 4/600 instead of the SDAs ? Will they be a more cost wffective option or the same price
uopdrmark likes this.

Last edited by abinav555; 11-06-2016 at 06:18 AM.
abinav555 is offline  
Old 12-14-2016, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
kevon27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 184
kevon27 is offline  
 
Old 12-14-2016, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 6,213
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1742 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post
Looks amazing !Lookign forward to seeing the completed version!

Any reason you chose the S2S-EX and not S1S-EX or SUB18?

EDIT: Another question: Why did you go with multiple 2x600w amps and not the 8x600w? (I'm asking because I am planning on what amps I should use with the M2 myself and love the simåplicity of the 8-channel version)
Jeez, did not get notified on some of these last posts....


I thought dual 15's were more than sufficient, and the S2S is the current model.

The 2x600's are each bi-amping the M2's and I simply wanted to go with a mono block approach for the mains and surrounds. Less of a single point of failure as well with few multichannel amps.
thrang is online now  
Old 12-14-2016, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 6,213
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1742 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by abinav555 View Post
Hey thrang,
Sweet setup. I'm looking at getting M2s for LCR,4xs4s subs and Revel surrounds + atmos. Powered by 4xsda-4600, 1xsda-8300.
My question is, is it really necessary to get the sdec ? My dealer says it's not truly a sysnthesis system without an sdec. Can you help me out with this ?

Also can i use crown dci 8/300 and 4/600 instead of the SDAs ? Will they be a more cost wffective option or the same price
As long as you're using the Crown amps that allow you to load the speaker profiles, such as the DCi's, it will work. Yes, its not a true Sythnesis system short of adding their processing and calibration, but it all depends on investment and and how much you want to have your hands in the pot. I didn't want to invest in a turnkey system both financially and as a hobbyist.

I presume the SDA's are more money - not sure what they provide qualitatively over the DCi's as I've never really explored comparing. Perhaps very little...
thrang is online now  
Old 12-14-2016, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 6,213
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1742 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post
Oh man, lol, I feel mildly violated....!

Well, it looks quite different now....do need to take some new photos over the Christmas break and update things here...
thrang is online now  
Old 12-15-2016, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
kevon27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Oh man, lol, I feel mildly violated....!

Well, it looks quite different now....do need to take some new photos over the Christmas break and update things here...
Can I request a video along with the photos? I think this WYSC section needs more videos of people theaters.
kevon27 is offline  
Old 12-15-2016, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 6,213
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1742 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post
Can I request a video along with the photos? I think this WYSC section needs more videos of people theaters.
Probably too complicated to do well because of lighting, but I'll explore...
thrang is online now  
Old 04-29-2017, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 6,213
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1742 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
Finally got around to updating the first post of this thread with new photos of the latest revision of the theater.
thrang is online now  
Old 05-01-2017, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thezaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Laveen, AZ
Posts: 1,468
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Thanks for the update - looks outstanding! How is the sound? How does it compare to what you had previously? Interesting that you have an Anthem AVM 60, after all of the other surround processors that you had tried. Are you still experimenting with surround processors?

Dave
thezaks is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 6,213
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1742 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Thanks for the update - looks outstanding! How is the sound? How does it compare to what you had previously? Interesting that you have an Anthem AVM 60, after all of the other surround processors that you had tried. Are you still experimenting with surround processors?

Dave
Sounds fantastic - needed to rethink sound treatments with the orientation switch, but gave me the opportunity to dress the room a bit with the art panels - also did some large double stacked corner bass traps in three of the four corners (fourth is where the entranceway is)

I will probably move to a different processor in the future (undecided), but using the Crown amps lets me tailor the sound separate from the processor abilities (EQ/precise distances), so thats a big advantage to the overall sound.

Absolutely enjoy the JBL's over the Diamonds. Very balanced, dynamic, with great imaging and soundstage.
COACH2369, thezaks and audiofan1 like this.
thrang is online now  
Old 05-02-2017, 06:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Ted C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Great job! Its very nice isn't it You enjoying the SCL4's? Any issue "edge blending" the 4's with the 708's up top?
Ted C is offline  
Old 05-02-2017, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 6,213
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1742 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted C View Post
Great job! Its very nice isn't it You enjoying the SCL4's? Any issue "edge blending" the 4's with the 708's up top?
Enjoying the SCL4's much more now than at first - learning more about the Crown EQ system is one reason, the room orientation is another. Nothing beats M2's as surrounds, but that doesn't work in this layout -

Not sure when you mean by edge blending, but the foundation and elevation layers are extremely well integrated if that's what you're asking
thrang is online now  
Old 05-02-2017, 08:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Ted C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Yes that's what I meant, the ability for the SCL's to integrate seamlessly to the 708's. The M2 are indeed amazing! Albeit I wouldn't want to be any closer than 9' to them in a HT environment...
Ted C is offline  
Old Today, 08:23 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looks good!
Eric Hamilton is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
anthem avm 60 , B W , jbl 708 , jbl m2 , Jl Audio Fathom F113 Gloss 13 5 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Mcintosh Labs , Med1000x3d Hd 3d Multimedia Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , sony vpl-vw5000
Gear in this thread
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off