Thrang's Home Theater (for now...) - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #811 of 834 Old 07-25-2017, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2001 Post(s)
Liked: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post
Ah, that makes sense. How much space do you have between your M2s behind the screen? (I.e. distance between the two enclosures)
The M2 cabinets are about 5 1/2' apart center to center...subs are between the left/center and right/center. (despite the LED's, the theater does not hop up and down while slowly cruising the street...)

JonasHansen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 834 Old 07-25-2017, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Home theater done right!
WOW, that M2 based rig is beyond incredible. I can only imagine how exciting it must sound.
The family room rig is no slouch either.
Your a lucky man.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7701 Pre/Pro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps,
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
DIY Linux desktop w/Clementine bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #813 of 834 Old 08-07-2017, 04:22 PM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
Home theater done right!
WOW, that M2 based rig is beyond incredible. I can only imagine how exciting it must sound.
The family room rig is no slouch either.
Your a lucky man.
Hi Gregg:

Your theater looks great!!! I assume the reason you went 708's for ceilings is because your ceiling is drop tiles and the SCL in walls won't work there?

post #814 of 834 Old 08-07-2017, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
Hi Gregg:

Your theater looks great!!! I assume the reason you went 708's for ceilings is because your ceiling is drop tiles and the SCL in walls won't work there?
Sort of, yes....I mean I could have probably made th SCL's work with some effort (the Sheetrock ceiling is about 7" above the drop ceiling), but why bother since I have the height - and the timbre match is better with the M2's I think - not my a lot, but still...

But also the scl driver would have been too off axis
post #815 of 834 Old 09-07-2017, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 26
How long ago did you replace the MX151 and move onto the AVM60? What encouraged the change? I was considering one of the macs as I will never have room for more then a 5.1 system. I have been reading through your MX151 thread even though its several years old now.

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer UNLESS IN A DEALS THREAD.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in...

post #816 of 834 Old 09-07-2017, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybud View Post
How long ago did you replace the MX151 and move onto the AVM60? What encouraged the change? I was considering one of the macs as I will never have room for more then a 5.1 system. I have been reading through your MX151 thread even though its several years old now.

About 5 months ago - transition move, sniffing around as Cedia is now here...
Barrybud likes this.
post #817 of 834 Old 09-09-2017, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1544 Post(s)
Liked: 476
thrang,

Awesome setup!

Have a question though...

What ceiling mounts are you using for your four 708i speakers? I have a concrete ceiling and might be installing four 708i speakers on the ceiling for Atmos/DTS:X. Any recommendations for ceiling mounts for the 708i that can be installed on a concrete ceiling? I am assuming I'll have to use concrete anchors?
post #818 of 834 Old 09-09-2017, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
thrang,

Awesome setup!

Have a question though...

What ceiling mounts are you using for your four 708i speakers? I have a concrete ceiling and might be installing four 708i speakers on the ceiling for Atmos/DTS:X. Any recommendations for ceiling mounts for the 708i that can be installed on a concrete ceiling? I am assuming I'll have to use concrete anchors?
The mounts are Allen Products MM-018-MultiMounts
http://www.adapttechgroup.com/pdf/mm-018.pdf

How to attach to a concrete ceiling is something I couldn't comment on with certainty - perhaps 4 concrete anchors into 12/14 inch square, 1" thick wood plate, and then lag bolts through the Allen mounts to the wood plate.

Last edited by thrang; 09-09-2017 at 12:03 PM.
post #819 of 834 Old 09-09-2017, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
The mounts are Allen Products MM-008-CM-BT: MultiMounts

How to attach to a concrete ceiling is something I couldn't comment on with certainty - perhaps 4 concrete anchors into 12/14 inch square, 1" thick wood plate, and then lag bolts through the Allen mounts to the wood plate.
Thanks.

Is this the mount you are using?

http://www.adapttechgroup.com/pdfs/MM-008-CM.html

If so, that mount is rated for 15 lbs/7 kg but 708i is 25.2 lbs/11.5 kg. No worries there?

Lastly, do the mounting holes of the mount line-up with the mounting holes of the 708i or is drilling required?

Sorry for all the questions!
post #820 of 834 Old 09-09-2017, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks.

Is this the mount you are using?

http://www.adapttechgroup.com/pdfs/MM-008-CM.html

If so, that mount is rated for 15 lbs/7 kg but 708i is 25.2 lbs/11.5 kg. No worries there?

Lastly, do the mounting holes of the mount line-up with the mounting holes of the 708i or is drilling required?

Sorry for all the questions!
Sorry, typo: these -

This mount is recommended by Harman, and align with the 708 screw holes.

Last edited by thrang; 09-09-2017 at 12:09 PM.
post #821 of 834 Old 09-23-2017, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 165
This makes me happy that such a high tier theater is ran by the same processor I use myself. I couldn't find another pre/pro that made sense unless I jumped up to Datasat.

Great system and looks really cozy.

Anthem/Theta Digital/MartinLogan Electrostats/Sony ES FPJ/
post #822 of 834 Old 09-25-2017, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, typo: these -

This mount is recommended by Harman, and align with the 708 screw holes.
Thanks.

Another quick question if you don't mind...

How long is the pipe on the ceiling mount for the four ceiling 708i speakers? Any idea how long the minimum length of the pipe should be to mount the ceiling mount directly to a concrete ceiling while having enough clearance for the 708i from the ceiling?
post #823 of 834 Old 09-27-2017, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hello thrang,

your HT is awesome, and the Crown rack is impressive
How far is your listening position from the speakers? And, how did you set the X-Over for the M2? Did you do it by yourself or with a JBL/Crown dealer?
I'm interested in buying M2 for LCR, too. I'd pair them with a couple of SDA 4600 (in Italy I can't find Crown amplifiers) but I don't know how to set the right X-Over parameters. JBL dealer suggest SDEC but I'd like to spare money and have processing in the amps, so I can still use the MX-121 for processing and in a not so near future upgrade to an SDP-75.
post #824 of 834 Old 09-28-2017, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks.

Another quick question if you don't mind...

How long is the pipe on the ceiling mount for the four ceiling 708i speakers? Any idea how long the minimum length of the pipe should be to mount the ceiling mount directly to a concrete ceiling while having enough clearance for the 708i from the ceiling?
This depends a bit what your threading the pipe into - (how deep the threaded insert is, if there is an offset of the insert away from the ceiling)

Because of the bracket design, the armature is close to the height of the speaker, so you need very little additional pipe to clear the ceiling - three inches maybe? If you want to extend the the speaker a little lower, you need to go longer. Mine are about 7 inches, but I have a suspended ceiling that I have to pass through to attached to the real ceiling above...
post #825 of 834 Old 09-28-2017, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanop View Post
Hello thrang,

your HT is awesome, and the Crown rack is impressive
How far is your listening position from the speakers? And, how did you set the X-Over for the M2? Did you do it by yourself or with a JBL/Crown dealer?
I'm interested in buying M2 for LCR, too. I'd pair them with a couple of SDA 4600 (in Italy I can't find Crown amplifiers) but I don't know how to set the right X-Over parameters. JBL dealer suggest SDEC but I'd like to spare money and have processing in the amps, so I can still use the MX-121 for processing and in a not so near future upgrade to an SDP-75.
I'm about 12.5/13 feet from the mains behind the screen.

I use the M2 tuning file which sets the parameters for the bi-amplification. It's automatic.
post #826 of 834 Old 09-28-2017, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Slowly getting the processor/source rack organized...bit more to do...

post #827 of 834 Old 10-03-2017, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
The M2 cabinets are about 5 1/2' apart center to center...subs are between the left/center and right/center. (despite the LED's, the theater does not hop up and down while slowly cruising the street...)
crazy set-up, incredible! Like going to an actual theater. Naturally, my next question would be: how is sound quality comparison vs. previous Marantz/B&W configuration for music?
post #828 of 834 Old 10-03-2017, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post
crazy set-up, incredible! Like going to an actual theater. Naturally, my next question would be: how is sound quality comparison vs. previous Marantz/B&W configuration for music?
And unnaturally, my answer, believe it or not, is I've not listened to a single two channel recording since the makeover...I've listening to some multichannel blu rays (Peter Gabriel New Blood for example, and Talking Heads Stop Making Sense) and they are incredibly good....but have not popped a CD in yet!

Last edited by thrang; 10-06-2017 at 09:30 AM.
post #829 of 834 Old 10-03-2017, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
And unnaturally, my answer, believe it or not, is I've not listened to a single two channel recording since the makeover...I've listening to some multichannel blu rays (Peter Gabriel New Bllood for example, and Talking Heads Stop Making Sense) and they are incredibly good....but have not popped a CD in yet!
Interesting, I see. I ask primarily with curiosity in regards to how resolute the JBL tweeter's are vs. B&W diamond tweeters. And mid-bass.
post #830 of 834 Old 10-07-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I'm about 12.5/13 feet from the mains behind the screen.

I use the M2 tuning file which sets the parameters for the bi-amplification. It's automatic.
Thank you thrang, I googled for M2 tuning file and I've found all relative instructions in JBLPRO site. It seems an easy procedure. I hope it'll be, when I'll buy the amps.
I've got another question looking at your rack: how do you remotely turn on-off all those amplifiers? It's like old-school mode: 5V/12V DC in a jack and then Daisy-chain or is it different? I've read the instruction of the 4/600n but it only talks of AUX port and how to remotely turn-off shortcircuiting two pins. No mention to remote ON.
post #831 of 834 Old 10-07-2017, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you thrang, I googled for M2 tuning file and I've found all relative instructions in JBLPRO site. It seems an easy procedure. I hope it'll be, when I'll buy the amps.
I've got another question looking at your rack: how do you remotely turn on-off all those amplifiers? It's like old-school mode: 5V/12V DC in a jack and then Daisy-chain or is it different? I've read the instruction of the 4/600n but it only talks of AUX port and how to remotely turn-off shortcircuiting two pins. No mention to remote ON.
I use a global cache IP relay devices to trigger open/close from my RTI controller

Two wire daisy changed from relay through each amp

It’s been a while so I don’t recall if there was a software toggle I needed to enable...
post #832 of 834 Old 10-07-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I use a global cache IP relay devices to trigger open/close from my RTI controller

Two wire daisy changed from relay through each amp

It’s been a while so I don’t recall if there was a software toggle I needed to enable...
Damn! Mmmh...Sorry! ...I hoped for a more easy way to go. Thank you very much for your support!
I want to follow your path, actually not going for a full Synthesis certification. M2+S2SEX+SCL3+CROWN/SDA and M2 software profile together with a McIntosh Processor.

Have a nice weekend
post #833 of 834 Old 10-07-2017, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Damn! Mmmh...Sorry! ...I hoped for a more easy way to go. Thank you very much for your support!
I want to follow your path, actually not going for a full Synthesis certification. M2+S2SEX+SCL3+CROWN/SDA and M2 software profile together with a McIntosh Processor.

Have a nice weekend
The wiring is not really hard - if you are not using a control system you could go low tech and wire a simple toggle switch to open or close the circuit...
stefanop likes this.
post #834 of 834 Old 10-08-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
The wiring is not really hard - if you are not using a control system you could go low tech and wire a simple toggle switch to open or close the circuit...
Thank you thrang!

If you can, please tell me if I'm wrong or not: you first turn on manually every single amplifier (first time ever), then you connect aux port to a relay Normally Closed and all the amplifiers go in standby, when you start up your A/V system the relay closes otherwise (normally open) and all the amplifiers come to live again. Do they switch out of standby all together? Is there a bump for the big amount of inrush current?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
anthem avm 60 , B W , jbl 708 , jbl m2 , Jl Audio Fathom F113 Gloss 13 5 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Mcintosh Labs , Med1000x3d Hd 3d Multimedia Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , sony vpl-vw5000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page