Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #271 of 731 Old 03-14-2012, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Ok. Given the rack options, all of which have their pluses and minuses, it's occurred to me that option 1 repurposing the Sanus EFAV makes the most sense for now. And, I could still go after the Salamander Synergy later if I want. But the Sanus move will allow me to go forward on several fronts, as I can begin resolving my power cord issues, I'll get to live with the layout for awhile to see if the gap between racks bothers me, and it will make it much easier to dust and clean in and around the system. So the next step is to do something about the Hooker cabinet. I'll make an attempt to donate it somewhere; failing that, I'll have it hauled away.

I'll need to get something to hold my computer-related setup, which will probably be another Sanus audio rack at this point. The only issue with that is whether I'll be able to cannibalize my current racks and save on buying additional shelves for the new one. Time to work on system configurations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 731 Old 03-14-2012, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hey prepress. Great setup. I enjoyed reading through this thread to date.

I noticed you're in Brooklyn. Where about? I'm on Long Island now, but grew up in Canarsie. Nice to see a fellow Brooklynite on the forums!!
post #273 of 731 Old 03-14-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharel View Post

Hey prepress. Great setup. I enjoyed reading through this thread to date.

I noticed you're in Brooklyn. Where about? I'm on Long Island now, but grew up in Canarsie. Nice to see a fellow Brooklynite on the forums!!

Hello dharel,

I live in Fort Greene now, having moved here from Prospect Heights back in 1996. But I'm originally from Nashville, TN. I came here for grad school (Pratt) and stuck around. I imagine Long Island is just as expensive, if not more so, as parts of Brooklyn are now.

I'm working on configurations for the all-Sanus setup, and however it may look, at least the racks will all match. Thanks for the visit and nice words. Older buildings get dusty very quickly, and having things more open will be a great incentive to dust more. The more I think about that, the more convinced I am I don't want any more closed racks. Even if I do go for the Salamander, it will probably be the a la carte version (no side panels or doors).
post #274 of 731 Old 03-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Hello dharel,

I live in Fort Greene now, having moved here from Prospect Heights back in 1996. But I'm originally from Nashville, TN. I came here for grad school (Pratt) and stuck around. I imagine Long Island is just as expensive, if not more so, as parts of Brooklyn are now.

I'm working on configurations for the all-Sanus setup, and however it may look, at least the racks will all match. Thanks for the visit and nice words. Older buildings get dusty very quickly, and having things more open will be a great incentive to dust more. The more I think about that, the more convinced I am I don't want any more closed racks. Even if I do go for the Salamander, it will probably be the a la carte version (no side panels or doors).

Yeah, Nassau County can be pretty $$$$. Haven't been to Fort Greene in quite some time, but I do remember I liked the area.

I know what you mean about dust, even in a house. Over time it has a very bad tendency to just settle on all my gear. I'm picky about who I let touch anything, so I'm the one usually stuck dusting every so often. Makes my wife happy!!!!!
post #275 of 731 Old 03-30-2012, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have ordered another Sanus Euro EFAB rack to use for the computer equipment. A friend says she wants the Hooker cabinet, and so once I get things arranged here the plan is for her to come over (with help) and take it away. Of course, I'll be expected to come and help her set her equipment up since I did it the first time.

The Quadraspire rack I had my eye on (the QAVX) isn't readily available in the US. It would be a special order and would take a while, according to the distributor (The Sound Organisation). It would be coming from England! Well, as I say, I'd have time to see how I like using the shorter Sanus EFAV (40").

Now, to begin clearing space in here.
post #276 of 731 Old 05-11-2012, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm also now thinking about the small setup in my bedroom. Currently it's a Harmon Kardon receiver and an old (1992) California Audio Labs CD player. I have equipment that was displaced from my main setup (the Denon TU-800 tuner and Marantz DV8400 universal player). I also have a B&K Pro-10 preamp which was on loan forever and I finally got it back. I was thinking of getting a modest power amp to use with everything, perhaps a Marantz 7025.

If I'm sane I won't do it, but the 7025 could drive my main speakers should disaster strike. Really, I'm just killing time for things to move along in the main goal. Meantime, I did get this:

It will go on the TV. I may replace other cords with these when the new setup is final, as I'm thinking the PS Audio Jewels are stiffer than I'd like. I still need to get organized wit the friend who says she wants my Hooker TV console.
LL
post #277 of 731 Old 05-19-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I must report that I'm getting cleaner, clearer sound on my 111 with the Stratus cord installed. More detail, especially with voices. I wasn't expecting that, but I'll take it. The sound's begun to smooth out a bit now, the transients and such are there but not as pronounced.

Plus, at least initially, the 60Hz hum due to the cable box is gone. Using an ISO-Max and a Viewsonic filter, channels left along with the hum. We'll see what happens as this new connection settles in.
post #278 of 731 Old 06-16-2012, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The hum seems to come and go. Last time out it was absent. Keep in mind that this occurs when watching TV only. It goes away when I select another input on my Duo.

Meantime, I took advantage of a good deal and bought a pair of Wireworld Electra power cords to go on my 501s. This blows up my blue/green power cord scheme, but the deal was too good to ignore so I went for it. Still thinking about those Kimber PK10s, but for now that has to be put down.
post #279 of 731 Old 06-20-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Other news. The WW Electras have been in the setup for a few days and have only a few hours on them, but the system's sound is different. The top end has opened up noticeably, and it's an experience similar to what I heard when I first fired up the TV with the Stratus connected. What is more, the picture on the 111 is sharper now. Noticeably so, though I won't call it night and day. I've also gone back to HDMI from component on my cable box and I'm not sure that hasn't contributed a bit more, even though it's only 1 day for that change. i'll let things settle and see what happens.

I've replaced all my HDMIs with Pangea HD-26Ls and I like them. Watching a few episodes of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys on DVD through my Oppo 83, I heard a cymbal during the main theme music over the closing credits which was buried in the mix before. More detail!

I'd really like to get the equipment rack resolved, but it will have to wait a bit longer, since I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and also still waiting on the friend who wants my Hooker console. She's yet to measure her space to see if the console will even fit. Oh, well.
post #280 of 731 Old 07-04-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Watching a few episodes of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys on DVD through my Oppo 83.

Man, I'm a huge Hercules Legendary Journeys fan! Season 5 was, without question, the most entertaining season of them all.

Are the Wire World cables available from any online source? Or are they dealer only?
post #281 of 731 Old 07-05-2012, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Man, I'm a huge Hercules Legendary Journeys fan! Season 5 was, without question, the most entertaining season of them all.
Are the Wire World cables available from any online source? Or are they dealer only?

The Cable Company sells Wireworld and just about everyone else. I've had good experience with them.

http://www.thecableco.com/category.aspx?cid=-1&mid=7104&gclid=CNDc7ZmXgrECFUlN4AodTwq3Cw

Here's another link to authorized dealers from Wireworld's website.

http://www.easylocator.net/custom_report/report776/findwireworldonline

I have Hercules seasons one and two. I'm not sure I want to go for all of them, but I might check out season 5. The series ran six seasons if I remember correctly.
post #282 of 731 Old 07-05-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Cable Company sells Wireworld and just about everyone else. I've had good experience with them.
http://www.thecableco.com/category.aspx?cid=-1&mid=7104&gclid=CNDc7ZmXgrECFUlN4AodTwq3Cw
Here's another link to authorized dealers from Wireworld's website.
http://www.easylocator.net/custom_report/report776/findwireworldonline
I have Hercules seasons one and two. I'm not sure I want to go for all of them, but I might check out season 5. The series ran six seasons if I remember correctly.

Thanks for that info....shortlybe using it shortly. Quick question: as a McIntosh owner, what are your thoughts on that organizations's MX121 processor? It seems to be the first decently priced processor, but I'd def like to hear the POV of a current McIntosh owner.
post #283 of 731 Old 07-05-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for that info....shortlybe using it shortly. Quick question: as a McIntosh owner, what are your thoughts on that organizations's MX121 processor? It seems to be the first decently priced processor, but I'd def like to hear the POV of a current McIntosh owner.

Generally, one buys McIntosh for sound quality, build quality, resale value and, perhaps, "bling" factor. I have no complaints about my amps and SACD/CD player, looks or sound; both are awesome.

The MX121 is half the cost of the flagship 150, too, but still not cheap at 6K. If I had to have a tuner, a port for SiriusXM, a headphone jack, or front inputs, I'd look elsewhere. But if I were going to get a processor around this price range, the 121 might be it because it has all the basics and does everything I'd need. I have a separate tuner, wouldn't use Audyssey in my space (despite the nice microphone). Some of the innards are borrowed from the Marantz AV7005 and modified, but the MX121 isn't a Marantz clone by any means. The stuff that counts, such as audio boards, power supply, tank-like build, etc. are all McIntosh. I even thought about the 121 to use as a conventional preamp. I attached the MX121 brochure if you're curious.

MX121_New.pdf 1866k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MX121_New.pdf (1.82 MB, 13 views)
post #284 of 731 Old 07-07-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Generally, one buys McIntosh for sound quality, build quality, resale value and, perhaps, "bling" factor. I have no complaints about my amps and SACD/CD player, looks or sound; both are awesome.
The MX121 is half the cost of the flagship 150, too, but still not cheap at 6K. If I had to have a tuner, a port for SiriusXM, a headphone jack, or front inputs, I'd look elsewhere. But if I were going to get a processor around this price range, the 121 might be it because it has all the basics and does everything I'd need. I have a separate tuner, wouldn't use Audyssey in my space (despite the nice microphone). Some of the innards are borrowed from the Marantz AV7005 and modified, but the MX121 isn't a Marantz clone by any means. The stuff that counts, such as audio boards, power supply, tank-like build, etc. are all McIntosh. I even thought about the 121 to use as a conventional preamp. I attached the MX121 brochure if you're curious.
MX121_New.pdf 1866k .pdf file

This is a great PreAmp....I think I may have found my long-term goal. :-)

BTW, I read in one of your previous posts that you're from NY. Which part? I'm from Queens (Jamaica).
post #285 of 731 Old 07-08-2012, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is a great PreAmp....I think I may have found my long-term goal. :-)
BTW, I read in one of your previous posts that you're from NY. Which part? I'm from Queens (Jamaica).

Here's the Home Theater review...
http://www.hometheater.com/content/dreaming-not-impossible-dream

I live in Brooklyn, the Fort Greene section. Originally, though, I'm from Nashville, TN. I came here for grad school (Pratt) and am still here. Hadn't planned that, but God had other ideas, obviously.
post #286 of 731 Old 07-14-2012, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Speaking of preamps, even though I haven't decided for sure to replace my current preamp, I seem to be in full research mode as if I will. Understand, I'm a 2-channel guy; that said, the latest contenders are these, in descending order according to price:

Audio Research LS27
McIntosh C50
McIntosh C2300
Bryston BP26 (with power supply)
McIntosh C48
Parasound JC 2
Parasound P7

The P7 is multichannel and has a built-in phono section, as do all the Macs. The LS27 and C2300 are tube units (that's right, I'm actually considering tubes). Let the winnowing process begin!

On another front, the friend who wants my Hooker cabinet informed me last night that her father has left earlier than planned. That means the equipment rack situation can move forward a bit. Both she and I have straightening up to do; my shoulder is still recovering from surgery so I'm a bit limited in what I can do as far as moving things around, but the first step is to deal with all the paper in here. It's a massive amount of sorting and shredding; to release some of my pent-up frustration with the continual stream maybe I'll tear instead of shred. It's more satisfying.
post #287 of 731 Old 07-24-2012, 07:50 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

Speaking of preamps, even though I haven't decided for sure to replace my current preamp, I seem to be in full research mode as if I will. Understand, I'm a 2-channel guy; that said, the latest contenders are these, in descending order according to price:
Audio Research LS27
McIntosh C50
McIntosh C2300
Bryston BP26 (with power supply)
McIntosh C48
Parasound JC 2
Parasound P7
The P7 is multichannel and has a built-in phono section, as do all the Macs. The LS27 and C2300 are tube units (that's right, I'm actually considering tubes). Let the winnowing process begin!
On another front, the friend who wants my Hooker cabinet informed me last night that her father has left earlier than planned. That means the equipment rack situation can move forward a bit. Both she and I have straightening up to do; my shoulder is still recovering from surgery so I'm a bit limited in what I can do as far as moving things around, but the first step is to deal with all the paper in here. It's a massive amount of sorting and shredding; to release some of my pent-up frustration with the continual stream maybe I'll tear instead of shred. It's more satisfying.

Those are awesome pre amps prepress, curious to see which one you will pick.

Frank
post #288 of 731 Old 07-24-2012, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Those are awesome pre amps prepress, curious to see which one you will pick.

Hello Franin,

It would be easier to decide something if my setup were the way I want it. As is, this is all theoretical. I'm beginning to think that, great as they are, the 2 tube units on that list aren't for me. I would surely have to buy a new equipment rack for the C2300, as it would have less than an inch of top clearance in my Sanus (the C50 would have only .375" top clearance, but I've been assured it generates next to no heat). The 3 Macs and the P7 have phono stages built in (the Macs are said to be quite good on that score; they all have the same phono stage). The JC 2 would almost certainly be followed by a Parasound JC 3 phono preamp, though I have an outboard phono preamp already; I'm sure the JC 3 is WAY better. But that would force a rack change also, or at least adding shelves to the existing racks. Based strictly on budget, I should get the P7. But again, none of this happens if I don't resolve the rack issue.
post #289 of 731 Old 07-25-2012, 07:13 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Hello Franin,
It would be easier to decide something if my setup were the way I want it. As is, this is all theoretical. I'm beginning to think that, great as they are, the 2 tube units on that list aren't for me. I would surely have to buy a new equipment rack for the C2300, as it would have less than an inch of top clearance in my Sanus (the C50 would have only .375" top clearance, but I've been assured it generates next to no heat). The 3 Macs and the P7 have phono stages built in (the Macs are said to be quite good on that score; they all have the same phono stage). The JC 2 would almost certainly be followed by a Parasound JC 3 phono preamp, though I have an outboard phono preamp already; I'm sure the JC 3 is WAY better. But that would force a rack change also, or at least adding shelves to the existing racks. Based strictly on budget, I should get the P7. But again, none of this happens if I don't resolve the rack issue.

I've gone back a page to get updated on what's happening Charles regarding the rack issues, I think I have mentioned it awhile back, but have you ever looked at server racks? A good size one might able to fit all your equipment.

Frank
post #290 of 731 Old 07-25-2012, 07:15 PM
CIH USER

I've noticed you bought a furman? How do you find it?

Frank
post #291 of 731 Old 07-26-2012, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've noticed you bought a furman? How do you find it?

I have two Furmans, actually. The SPR-20i voltage regulator, which most of the gear is plugged into, and it is plugged into a Elite-15PFi which is then plugged into the wall. This arrangement is so that I can take advantage of the 15PFi's 45A current reserve, but I don't think the amps are using it because the power consumption seems constant and I don't blast my music. The Furmans replaced a Tripplite LCR2400, and I am quite pleased with them. They offer automatic extreme voltage shutdown, connections for telephone, cable and satellite, plus the SPR has 20A capacity. They run VERY quiet, and don't run hot at all. I am pleased with them.

As for the server racks, I did notice Sanus has one, but wasn't sure it would work in my setup. I'd need at least 2, plus accommodation for a turntable and my TV (remember, this is only a one-bedroom apartment and I can't really put gear off to the side). Still, I didn't examine the Sanus closely, and maybe I'll give it another look, as Sanus has come out with new products recently.
post #292 of 731 Old 07-26-2012, 03:32 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

I have two Furmans, actually. The SPR-20i voltage regulator, which most of the gear is plugged into, and it is plugged into a Elite-15PFi which is then plugged into the wall. This arrangement is so that I can take advantage of the 15PFi's 45A current reserve, but I don't think the amps are using it because the power consumption seems constant and I don't blast my music. The Furmans replaced a Tripplite LCR2400, and I am quite pleased with them. They offer automatic extreme voltage shutdown, connections for telephone, cable and satellite, plus the SPR has 20A capacity. They run VERY quiet, and don't run hot at all. I am pleased with them.

I have the Furman 16Ei Premium SPR-Stable Power Regulator ( 240V ) I was told about the Elite series but never really looked into them. Thats a good arrangement you have there.

Frank
post #293 of 731 Old 07-26-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Franin,

It sounds like your SPR is an Australian equivalent of my SPR (except for the voltage). I hope you're finding yours to be as good as mine's been.

On another note, it may be time to stop doodling rack configurations on pieces of paper and actually construct a file I can play around with using to-scale pieces I can move around. Time, perhaps, to work on my InDesign skills.
post #294 of 731 Old 07-27-2012, 05:26 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Franin,
It sounds like your SPR is an Australian equivalent of my SPR (except for the voltage). I hope you're finding yours to be as good as mine's been.

Touch wood!! mines been doing a good job.

Frank
post #295 of 731 Old 07-27-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Touch wood!! mines been doing a good job.

Not to mention yours is bigger. Must be all that extra voltage. smile.gif
post #296 of 731 Old 07-27-2012, 05:37 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Not to mention yours is bigger. Must be all that extra voltage. smile.gif

I thought there the same size . Just different models for different countries.

Frank
post #297 of 731 Old 07-28-2012, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought there the same size . Just different models for different countries.

Your model is a 220–240v version. My SPR 20i is a 120v model for the US and has smaller dimensions. Your unit is almost 6" tall; mine is about 4.25" (but it's 20A).
post #298 of 731 Old 07-28-2012, 03:43 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Your model is a 220–240v version. My SPR 20i is a 120v model for the US and has smaller dimensions. Your unit is almost 6" tall; mine is about 4.25" (but it's 20A).

Mine 16A if Im correct but i didn't realise the dimensions were different. Thanks for that prepress.

Frank
post #299 of 731 Old 07-30-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After seeing a post on another forum regarding a failed tube in the Mac C2300, I begin to lean away from tube units. I know that this is not a regular occurrence, but an occasional tube failure is always a possibility and that makes me uncomfortable. I'm not enough of an audiophile that I'd want to put up with that sort of thing, so if I do replace my ARC preamp, it will probably be with a C48, C50 or JC 2 (which is line stage only, so either my current Aragon or the JC 3 would be in play for phono). It's been those three from the beginning, really.
post #300 of 731 Old 07-30-2012, 07:45 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

After seeing a post on another forum regarding a failed tube in the Mac C2300, I begin to lean away from tube units. I know that this is not a regular occurrence, but an occasional tube failure is always a possibility and that makes me uncomfortable. I'm not enough of an audiophile that I'd want to put up with that sort of thing,

Don't blame you prepress. Apparently there are 6 tubes you will have to worry about, though im sure the sound will be phenomenal. How much will each tube cost? Im sure there not cheap.

Frank
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Mcintosh Labs , Pioneer Bdp 09fd Elite Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd , Dvdo
Gear in this thread