AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyghwayman View Post

Having guest over is a real good motivator and a lot of FUN wink.gif

And it's times like this when you realize how much stuff accumulates, paper in particular. I have way too much for a 1BR apartment, plus a filing system that isn't working well. There's plenty of recycling to do so after my break here, I should get back to it. i got very distracted watching football earlier (South Alabama–Tennessee in particular, then Iowa–Minnesota plus some Star Trek: TNG)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 718 Old 10-01-2013, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have received instructions from Mirage on how to remove the M-3si grille socks, as well as the drivers and crossovers. I don't have time to do it right now, but will investigate. In the crossover's case I would need a soldering iron if it were to be replaced, which I don't have. The plot thickens a bit.
post #633 of 718 Old 10-01-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Uh Oh....are the Mirages are starting to fail?

....Legacy....Legacy.....Legacy.....Legacy.....Legacy.....(perpetual chanting).
post #634 of 718 Old 10-01-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Uh Oh....are the Mirages are starting to fail?

....Legacy....Legacy.....Legacy.....Legacy.....Legacy.....(perpetual chanting).

Noooo . . . . . . but I should be able to check them for any obvious signs of degradation. Remember, I had the idea of a preemptive replacement because i was concerned they might quit after I've retired, at which time I might not be able to afford a suitable replacement. However, not being given a spirit of fear, I backed off that for now.

But, they are 20.5 years old, and would be pushing 30 when I retire (if all goes well). As part of my evaluation of the idea of replacement, I can check them out. If I see any sign of trouble (such as driver surrounds cracking), I can look for replacement parts, which might be available still, or go ahead and replace them anyway. If not, I'll ride them until they drop or I get tired of them. If a crossover goes, I'm going to replace them and not bother with it.

There is a Legacy dealer in New Haven CT, an eight-hour round trip; they're a Def Tech dealer too. But I'd need to be serious about the Legacys to go that far away. Then there's Value Electronics, home of the HDTV Shootout, and a Def tech dealer. The nearest Bryston dealer is in Wisconsin, though he's sold some Model Ts into NY (twenty-year warranty!). If I inspect the M-3si drivers and all is well, new speakers will continue to be moot. If not, there's a decision to be made.
post #635 of 718 Old 10-01-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Noooo . . . . . . but I should be able to check them for any obvious signs of degradation. Remember, I had the idea of a preemptive replacement because i was concerned they might quit after I've retired, at which time I might not be able to afford a suitable replacement. However, not being given a spirit of fear, I backed off that for now.

But, they are 20.5 years old, and would be pushing 30 when I retire (if all goes well). As part of my evaluation of the idea of replacement, I can check them out. If I see any sign of trouble (such as driver surrounds cracking), I can look for replacement parts, which might be available still, or go ahead and replace them anyway. If not, I'll ride them until they drop or I get tired of them. If a crossover goes, I'm going to replace them and not bother with it.

There is a Legacy dealer in New Haven CT, an eight-hour round trip; they're a Def Tech dealer too. But I'd need to be serious about the Legacys to go that far away. Then there's Value Electronics, home of the HDTV Shootout, and a Def tech dealer. The nearest Bryston dealer is in Wisconsin, though he's sold some Model Ts into NY (twenty-year warranty!). If I inspect the M-3si drivers and all is well, new speakers will continue to be moot. If not, there's a decision to be made.

I think Dennis (DMark1) lives around 2 hours away from you. Drop him a PM...he's got Focus SE and Signature SE models, as well as a Whisper XD pair. Your ears shall thank you biggrin.gif

I'd say 20.5 years shows how well the Mirages were made. You should be mighty proud!
post #636 of 718 Old 10-01-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

However, not being given a spirit of fear,

2 Tim 1:7 smile.gif
post #637 of 718 Old 10-02-2013, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think Dennis (DMark1) lives around 2 hours away from you. Drop him a PM...he's got Focus SE and Signature SE models, as well as a Whisper XD pair. Your ears shall thank you biggrin.gif

I'd say 20.5 years shows how well the Mirages were made. You should be mighty proud!

The eight hours is due to public transportation (Metro North). An all-day deal. We will see what the M-3si inspection brings. Meantime, I still have good sound. And the 30Hz is plenty in this room; much lower might be crazy, I don't know.

I should check into how to get to Lancaster just in case. Also, I could get those Mac XR200s at half-price if I could get to Vestal, NY, near Binghamton. But there's no public transportation that way; maybe Greyhound goes there? Still premature, but the info may be helpful.
post #638 of 718 Old 10-02-2013, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

2 Tim 1:7 smile.gif

And in an audio-related vein, a "sound" mind. smile.gif
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #639 of 718 Old 10-03-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

And in an audio-related vein, a "sound" mind. smile.gif
And "power" which all audio systems require😙
post #640 of 718 Old 10-03-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

And "power" which all audio systems require😙

Well, I don't "love" music; I like it, though. It's that which prompts one to get a system with ample power to play and enjoy it well.

I have some time off scheduled in a couple of weeks; if all goes well, that might be the time to inspect the M-3sis.
post #641 of 718 Old 10-17-2013, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Time to clean up . . .

Currently there are three brands of power cords in my setup: WW Stratus is on the CD, main BDP, Furman SPR-20i (via adapter) and the TV; WW Aurora is on the C2300; and WW Electras are on the 501s; all are 5.2. There are PS Audio Jewel ACs on the LD player, tuner, Oppo BDP, VPI SDS, the Duo VP and the Furman Elite. Finally, I have a Shunyata Venom extension cord connecting everything to the wall. The extension is necessary due to the room layout. I plan to replace the Jewel ACs on the LD and tuner with WW Stratus, thus sources will be uniform (except for the TT, which is a captive cord). My Aragon IPS (power supply for the phono preamp) is using the stock cord also.

It's the power setup that I'm most concerned with. I have nothing against the Jewels, but the two Furmans are on adjacent shelves and I don't like the 2m Jewel connecting them; I want something shorter. I could move the 1m Jewel from the Oppo to the Furman Elite and put the Oppo's stock cord back on (which I just thought of), but the stock cord is too long also. The Oppo doesn't play through the system, so I'm not concerned about uniformity.

The biggest question is how to handle the power conditioner connections. There is a 3m Stratus on the SPR which the Venom then takes to the wall. I am thinking of a 3m Venom or Venom HC to replace the Stratus. The concern there is that the cord would be useless or create clutter in a future setup where an extension or long cord isn't needed. The other option is the 12AWG, 25 ft. extension cord I have which would allow me to get a better power cord for the SPR. The problem there is that the 25 ft. is WAY too long for my current needs and would create its own clutter. The idea is to shorten power cord runs, not make them longer.

Transparent also makes power cords, the Performance and High Performance PowerLink in particular. I could get a custom Performance (5m) and run it all the way to the wall. Or a 3m High Performance, and keep the Venom in place. Now that's four brands of cord! Whatever I decide on the SPR will be duplicated on the Elite in a 1m version.

There is also the matter of speaker cables. I would like shorter runs on my speaker cable. The choices are Kimber 12TC (Hero IC is currently on all sources) and Transparent MusicWave Plus (MusicLink Plus IC connects pre and power amps). We're talking about two 4 ft. pair of either. The Transparent would be $1790, the Kimber about half that. I don't necessarily like the color of the Kimber's jacket, but at $900 less I could learn to live with it (by the way, anyone who has experience with both is welcome to chime in).

For whatever reason I obsess with these things. If anyone has an idea which will clear through my clutter, whether philosophical or practical, feel free. There are too many expenses (plane tickets for one) coming up for me to spend a lot of money, but I am set to resolve this and want the most sensible way. I've thought of one as I've typed, but will sit with it for a day or two. These things work out if I sit with them long enough.
post #642 of 718 Old 10-18-2013, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm in the midst of a massive clean-up effort, so I don't yet have a pristine photo, but here's two "before" photos of the mishmash behind the system I'm talking about, from two angles.

This isn't about improved sound, I want to organize things better and get some shorter cables back there where possible. None of the power cord alternatives is that expensive; the most expensive one is $595 for a 2m cord. I have velcro strips to bundle the interconnects, which will help also. This is probably a long-term project, but I want to start it this year, then after the dust settles from holiday expenses, resume. I have much straightening, cleaning and dusting to do in the meantime.
post #643 of 718 Old 10-18-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Yeah I wanted to take a dust rag to those shelves lol. I love cable management and as I am doing a reorg myself this weekend I will share in your pain and suffering. The end result though should be a cleaner looking rear end and easier to manage. If you show your after shots I'll show some before and after as well. wink.gif
post #644 of 718 Old 10-19-2013, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Yeah I wanted to take a dust rag to those shelves lol. I love cable management and as I am doing a reorg myself this weekend I will share in your pain and suffering. The end result though should be a cleaner looking rear end and easier to manage. If you show your after shots I'll show some before and after as well. wink.gif

It's beginning to look like this won't be a simple rearranging and then replacing one or two cords. It could end up as an entire power cord overhaul. I've gotten some suggestions from Caelin Gabriel, head of Shunyata Reseach, and that's the direction this is pointing in, if I really want to do it right. But I'll tell you, if I get things to look even close to fabulous, I'll be planning to post pics!
pcweber111 likes this.
post #645 of 718 Old 10-20-2013, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last night a friend from church came over. She had expressed an interest in doing so a while ago, and "cornered" me on it last month, so we set up yesterday. She arrived, and I gave her a tour of the system. We (I) ordered burgers and sweet-potato fries from a nearby burger joint (NOT a chain, by the way), we brought them back here and I put on some music to eat burgers by, an Antonio Carlos Jobim anthology. Her mouth hung open at the sound. She hadn't heard anything like that before. She was amazed.

After burgers (there was key lime cheesecake later, too), we came back to the living room and I played VJ with tracks from Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood Live from Madison Square Garden, Marcus Miller In Concert, How Great Thou Art from the Bill Gaither Homecoming series, and Ivete Sangalo MTV Ao Vivo (a Brazilian pop singer, if you didn't know). There was even a video from an animation tournament on laserdisc, Oral Hygiene (you wouldn't believe it if I told you, so I won't; suffice it to say the lead character is a skeleton head wearing oversized tennis shoes). She raved about the sound of everything, and laughed at Oral Hygiene. She had a good time and it was obvious. I did, too.

Then, on another forum, another exchange with Mr. Gabriel, the gist of which is if I like the sound of my system (I sure did last night), I don't need to sweat any tweaks to it. I could leave it as is for sure, and it's confirmed even more that any moves regarding power cords have nothing to do with sound, only aesthetics and efficiency. It's best if I could have a custom-length power cord run to the wall, but a 5m Venom HC would cost probably more than I'd be comfortable spending at the moment, plus it would be of no other use if the system changed. But the best power cord should be on the power distribution equipment, according to Mr. Gabriel, and that makes some sense to me.

I have a bit of clarity going forward.
post #646 of 718 Old 10-20-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Last night a friend from church came over. She had expressed an interest in doing so a while ago, and "cornered" me on it last month, so we set up yesterday. She arrived, and I gave her a tour of the system. We (I) ordered burgers and sweet-potato fries from a nearby burger joint (NOT a chain, by the way), we brought them back here and I put on some music to eat burgers by, an Antonio Carlos Jobim anthology. Her mouth hung open at the sound. She hadn't heard anything like that before. She was amazed.

After burgers (there was key lime cheesecake later, too), we came back to the living room and I played VJ with tracks from Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood Live from Madison Square Garden, Marcus Miller In Concert, How Great Thou Art from the Bill Gaither Homecoming series, and Ivete Sangalo MTV Ao Vivo (a Brazilian pop singer, if you didn't know). There was even a video from an animation tournament on laserdisc, Oral Hygiene (you wouldn't believe it if I told you, so I won't; suffice it to say the lead character is a skeleton head wearing oversized tennis shoes). She raved about the sound of everything, and laughed at Oral Hygiene. She had a good time and it was obvious. I did, too.

Then, on another forum, another exchange with Mr. Gabriel, the gist of which is if I like the sound of my system (I sure did last night), I don't need to sweat any tweaks to it. I could leave it as is for sure, and it's confirmed even more that any moves regarding power cords have nothing to do with sound, only aesthetics and efficiency. It's best if I could have a custom-length power cord run to the wall, but a 5m Venom HC would cost probably more than I'd be comfortable spending at the moment, plus it would be of no other use if the system changed. But the best power cord should be on the power distribution equipment, according to Mr. Gabriel, and that makes some sense to me.

I have a bit of clarity going forward.

Sharing our systems is such a joy; however, sharing our systems with those who have never before heard what a properly tuned setup can do for music....now that's a remarkable experience! biggrin.gif
post #647 of 718 Old 10-20-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Indeed. I've had friends and girlfriends remark how amazing full size speakers sound with a good amp and good source. People get so used to overly compressed audio playing on substandard headphones or radios that they never experience what music can sound like. It's a nice feeling to have them comment on how good it sounds.
post #648 of 718 Old 10-21-2013, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes. Both the Saturday experience and the exchange with Caelin Gabriel were perspective-setters. I could just put a shorter WW Stratus on the Furman Elite and call it a day; my power distribution connections would then be consistent. And because of the sound I was getting on Saturday, I know I don't need to go for any really expensive cords either. So in terms of cleaning up clutter, I could just go for shorter WW Stratus cables all around.

I also know that if I want a heavier gauge cord for the Furman SPR, in performance terms it's ideal to go to the wall, unless I have an extension cord of the same gauge. Whatever's on the SPR will go on the Elite also. That could be a Kimber PK10; a 16 ft. cord would be around $530.

Then, there's speaker cable. Almost certainly Kimber 12TC; if not, then the 8TC I use now. Two pairs of 4 ft. each. As much as the Transparent cables intrigue me, I can't see spending almost $1800 for two pair of those. Not now, anyway.
post #649 of 718 Old 10-27-2013, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't know how much it will complicate things, but my printer is misbehaving. Not only did I get a message that my toner cartridge is low, but there was another suggesting something was broken. I'll need to check that. I was able to print out a couple of copies of my Sunday school lesson and take them to a nearby Office Max to have more copies made.

A new printer is an unforeseen expense. The cartridges ran $200 the last time I got one. I don't know if this printer is still supported, even. I got it back in 2003, at a cost of $999. It's a Xanté AW1200 (genuine PostScript!). I can't get another one so I'd look at Xerox, my next choice. The 3600 seems comparable.

The power cord may be researched and planned for still, then wait until the printer and Christmas travel plans get set. If I'm not comfortable with my checking account balance after that, then I'll go least expensive on the power cords or wait until next year—just like Cub fans often have to. And Met fans.
smile.gif
post #650 of 718 Old 10-29-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

UPDATE: I called Xanté (the manufacturer of my AW1200 printer), and they do have some toner cartridges left for it. So I ordered one. The broken piece message appeared only that once, and didn't stop the printer from printing the last couple of times I used it. So I'm going to see if the new cartridge solves not only the low toner issue, but defeats the error message I got previously. And, whether the uniform splotches at the top of each sheet go away. If this works, I will proceed with my power cord/speaker cable machinations. If not, then I've blown $229 and will need to get a printer anyway. I should know soon, as I paid an extra $10 for 2-day delivery.
post #651 of 718 Old 10-30-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

$239 for a toner cartridge?  You must have one industrial-strength, heavy-duty plotter in that place o' yours!

post #652 of 718 Old 10-30-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

$239 for a toner cartridge?  You must have one industrial-strength, heavy-duty plotter in that place o' yours!

$199 plus 2-day shipping. Actually, it's $227.71. And Xanté is a high-end printer company, with all their printers offering true Adobe PostScript. They're aimed at the graphic arts industry. The AW1200 was more for the home or small office user. The printer cost about a grand back in the day, and I've had it since 2003. I think when the cartridge goes I'll be moving on, perhaps a Xerox. But for now, I'm hoping the new cartridge will keep me happy.

Speaking of Southern belles, Xanté is based in Alabama.

post #653 of 718 Old 10-30-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

$199 plus 2-day shipping. Actually, it's $227.71. And Xanté is a high-end printer company, with all their printers offering true Adobe PostScript. They're aimed at the graphic arts industry. The AW1200 was more for the home or small office user. The printer cost about a grand back in the day, and I've had it since 2003. I think when the cartridge goes I'll be moving on, perhaps a Xerox. But for now, I'm hoping the new cartridge will keep me happy.

Speaking of Southern belles, Xanté is based in Alabama.

Monstrous!  I think I recall you previously mentioning that you work in the graphics industry--looks  like that beast has the bite to back up the bark of its price-tag!

post #654 of 718 Old 10-31-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a good one.

Kevin Miller was scheduled to come by on Saturday at about 10:30 to do a re-calibration on my PRO-111FD plasma. This was moved up from the afternoon due to another appointment he had in Connecticut. Today, I find out there's a possibility (though not big at this point) I'll have to go into work on Saturday. I was going to alert Kevin and let him know about this, to see if we want to re-schedule or let it be until tomorrow afternoon, when I should know for sure about Saturday.

Lo and behold, I got home a short while ago and have a message from Kevin. His Connecticut appointment cancelled, and so he can come in the afternoon on Saturday around 3:30–4:00PM! That should let me go to work if necessary and get back in time for him. I don't believe in coincidence, and this isn't one for sure. It's great!

On the down side, I missed UPS, so no printer cartridge today.
post #655 of 718 Old 11-03-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Kevin Miller came yesterday to do a touch-up re-calibration of my PRO-111 plasma. The reds were running a bit too strong, which I'd begun to notice mostly on all-black screens. The black level was up a bit, which I hadn't noticed. Both were taken care of. He also calibrated another input, so I now have 3 ISF-calibrated HDMI inputs. So if my Duo VP ever dies or I decide to get rid of it, I'm set. I also updated the software on my BDP-09, and am now running the latest version. I'm set for a while, it seems. Skin tones are good, some pictures are a tad crisper, it looks like as well.

On the other hand, I got another error on my Xanté printer this AM as I tried to print out my Sunday school article. I didn't get the new toner cartridge yet, but I'm now all but certain the printer is the issue. So I'm planning to look into the Xerox 3600, and return the cartridge unopened once it arrives. An expensive few days. I bought my plane tickets for Christmas vacation, paid my rent and for an ISF calibration, now there's a new printer in the mix. No expensive power cords for me, I think. I'll buy carefully.
post #656 of 718 Old 11-10-2013, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This AM, I got another error code on the Xanté, different from the last one. Instead of three flashes then a delay, I got two with a delay. It's settled. I plan to call the company to return the cartridge (I never opened the box) and go after another printer, probably the Xerox mentioned earlier. That affects the power cord plans.

As for power cords, I see Audio Advisor has a supply of PS Audio Jewel ACs; apparently PS Audio discovered them in the warehouse and they're being sold off at ridiculous prices. I think I'll put Wireworlds on all my sources, though. The tuner and LD player have Jewel ACs now. And most of the cords are too long, at 2m. I'd hate to replace them all with shorter versions of the same thing, but this is about organizing things better.
post #657 of 718 Old 11-16-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ ^ ^ ^
Okay. Making sense of the manual, it appears that if there is a printer error (as opposed to the cartridge only), the green LED should be flashing. It doesn't. That suggests the problem is back to the cartridge. Being weary of the back and forth, I'll just take my chances and replace the cartridge.

Back to working out the power cord issue, then. I'm also wondering should I reconfigure so I can use shorer interconnects or HDMIs too. But that means buying the same thing all over again, and that's not desirable!
post #658 of 718 Old 11-18-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I sent out e-mails looking for price info on custom power cord lengths to Kimber, Transparent, Wireworld and Shunyata. The idea is for a 5m and a 1m. I haven't heard from Transparent yet, and WW didn't give any prices but they do have a power cord extender, which means I could chain two together and use cable I already have if I want. My wallet would like that best.

The Shunyata Venom HCs are more expensive than I thought they'd be at the custom lengths. A custom length Venom 3 at 1m costs double the standard 1.5m. The two Kimbers would be acceptable, but they now come in black; the green jackets are done. I'd still like to hear from Transparent before doing anything, but maybe cooler heads prevail and I get the WW extender with a stock 2m cord and chain it to the 3m I have already. Thus I eliminate the Shunyata extension. I also use the 1m cord to connect the two Furmans I have. That solves the power problem there. Plus, what use would I really have going forward for a 5m power cable under other system circumstances? I don't see one.
post #659 of 718 Old 11-18-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
5M power cord sounds like big bucks. I use Emotiva power cords with my three amps, they do the job well enough and look nice doing it smile.gif

They are reasonably priced and they show you exactly what they're made of, unfortunately, 4M is the largest they make

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/interconnects/products/xiec

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #660 of 718 Old 11-19-2013, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:

I sent out e-mails looking for price info on custom power cord lengths to Kimber, Transparent, Wireworld and Shunyata. The idea is for a 5m and a 1m. I haven't heard from Transparent yet, and WW didn't give any prices but they do have a power cord extender, which means I could chain two together and use cable I already have if I want. My wallet would like that best.

The Shunyata Venom HCs are more expensive than I thought they'd be at the custom lengths. A custom length Venom 3 at 1m costs double the standard 1.5m. The two Kimbers would be acceptable, but they now come in black; the green jackets are done. I'd still like to hear from Transparent before doing anything, but maybe cooler heads prevail and I get the WW extender with a stock 2m cord and chain it to the 3m I have already. Thus I eliminate the Shunyata extension. I also use the 1m cord to connect the two Furmans I have. That solves the power problem there. Plus, what use would I really have going forward for a 5m power cable under other system circumstances? I don't see one.

I was using a complete PS Audio Perfectwave loom from the AC3 to the AC12 but during last years upgrade and now using three conditioners I needed a long 4m run for my new sub and thought I'd give the Pangea AC9 and I also powered the conditioner from the wall with the AC9SE 2m they are both 7awg cables well made and the have worked well considering the length and price they where a steal.wink.gif

http://www.audioadvisor.com/
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Mcintosh Labs , Pioneer Bdp 09fd Elite Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd , Dvdo
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page