The prepress system - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #751 of 751 Unread Today, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Update on the above. ^ ^ ^

As it turns out, I needed to make some changes in the way I played the Moody Blues disc, though there was no problem before.

Having the Pioneer 09 output set to "2 Channel" already, I went into the speaker setup and found that the L/R, center and surrounds were all set to "Large." I turned off everything but the L/R setting and tried the disc again. No changes I could hear. Then it hit me that the Pioneer's "DTS Downmix" feature is set to "2 Channel"; I'd been selecting Dolby Digital 2.0 in the disc's menu. So I set the disc to play at DTS 5.0, which meant the player would downmix to two channels. Immediately, the sound was both louder and fuller, with even more bottom. The musical details I wasn't hearing before were more audible, though perhaps still not quite up to the LS3. But I think I could live with that. And the hall ambience is back; it sounds like the Moodies are playing in a concert hall again (which the Royal Albert Hall is).

So I intend to put things back the way they were, with the Transparent ICs doing preamp-to-power amp duty and re-installing the Kimber Hero on the Pioneer. I may put those JJ tubes back into the 2300 just to see what happens. Either way, I'm going to pull the second pair of Mullards out of the MM section to keep as backups and re-insert the stock tubes there. This means the return of the Aragon (nice movie title) phono stage to the system. That would mean I'd need five pairs of Transparent Ins if I go that route. The question is would it be Plus or MusicLink, assuming the Kimber Hero and +3 on the bass trim of my 2300 doesn't cut it anymore.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Mullard, Mirage, Kimber, Audioquest, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Wireworld, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus, Conntek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Mcintosh Labs , Pioneer Bdp 09fd Elite Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd , Dvdo
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page