The prepress system - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #781 of 786 Old 11-24-2016, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 85
And to start something else, I replaced the Wireworld Electra power cord on my preamp with first a Shunyata Venom 3s and now a 1m Transparent Audio High Performance Power Cord, the second from the bottom of their line. What a difference! The bass is more extended, and with some additional detail. That was a pleasant surprise. I got the HPPC out of curiosity, but didn't expect the improvement I heard. The Shunyata Venom 3s cord also gripped better than the WW, but the low frequencies weren't as strong. The HPPC fixed that.

I'm no longer a semi-skeptic on these things. In some cases even the power cord can change the sound of a system/component.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	product_getimage.php.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1787377  

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, JJ, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Wireworld, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 786 Old 11-24-2016, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1598 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
In a very brief comparison and listening normally (not casually or critically) the 88 held its own against my McIntosh MCD301 SACD player. I was using Copland's "Fanfare for the Common Man" by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra as the test track. The two players sounded pretty much identical; the 88's audio output was set to 192 kHz to match the 301. Critical listening may reveal something new, but this is a nice result.

Now for the bad news. The 88 doesn't appear to be compatible with my iScan Duo VP. The biggest issues are that if I switch from the 88 to another source then back to the 88 the Duo loses the signal and must be re-booted. Also, with the 88’s aspect ration set to "16:9 Normal” it adds its own black bars to 4:3 material; the Duo sees this as a 16:9 signal apparently, and I’m unable to get gray sidebars. If I use “16:9 Full” and then change the AR to “4:3” on the Duo, the gray sidebars don’t cover the black sidebars fully. Though my Kuro is well broken in, I’m still wary of using black sidebars for any length of time.

I’ve been through the settings on both the 88 and the Duo and had no success so far with these issues. The only way around this is to disconnect the 88 from the Duo and go straight to the TV, which is a kludge and inconvenient, but I get the gray sidebars as I should on 4:3 material. I’m going to check the 88’s firmware and update it if necessary, though I don’t know if that will help.

A smaller (though still annoying) issue is that the 88’s remote activates my 09 and vice-versa, but I’m hoping I can move the 09 or else remove it from the system; I’d intended to use it as a secondary/backup player, retiring my Oppo 83.

I'm reaching out to Value Electronics (the vendor) and Pioneer to see if they have any ideas. I registered the 88 with Pioneer before the problems emerged, unfortunately, so I don't know if returning the unit is an option. I'd rather not if I can help it, anyway.
Good to hear on the music side of things and that would be great if you can find fixes for the video side as well. Was the intent to replace the 09 and Oppo 83 or just a new music player? If nothing avails it self with a fix perhaps Oppo's pending newer models that loom just around the corner may be the ticket or even an 105 which I can attest to as being a great player.

And Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours
post #783 of 786 Old 11-24-2016, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
And to start something else, I replaced the Wireworld Electra power cord on my preamp with first a Shunyata Venom 3s and now a 1m Transparent Audio High Performance Power Cord, the second from the bottom of their line. What a difference! The bass is more extended, and with some additional detail. That was a pleasant surprise. I got the HPPC out of curiosity, but didn't expect the improvement I heard. The Shunyata Venom 3s cord also gripped better than the WW, but the low frequencies weren't as strong. The HPPC fixed that.

I'm no longer a semi-skeptic on these things. In some cases even the power cord can change the sound of a system/component.
I may have to give transparent a shot. I did try an WW Electra 7 as well on my Marantz 8802 but favored the PS Audio AC3 and mostly do to the bass as well. I have primarily all PS Audio cables with AC3's on the lower powered stuff with an AC10 on thier Dectect Power conditioner and AC12 on my 2/ch amp and achieved a pretty synergistic blend with that setup. I also added a Pangea AC9se to my surround amp to try over an AC3 but will replace later down the road as its not as good in that application as the one it replaced.

Who's a good vendor for Transparent cables?
post #784 of 786 Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
I may have to give transparent a shot. I did try an WW Electra 7 as well on my Marantz 8802 but favored the PS Audio AC3 and mostly do to the bass as well. I have primarily all PS Audio cables with AC3's on the lower powered stuff with an AC10 on thier Dectect Power conditioner and AC12 on my 2/ch amp and achieved a pretty synergistic blend with that setup. I also added a Pangea AC9se to my surround amp to try over an AC3 but will replace later down the road as its not as good in that application as the one it replaced.

Who's a good vendor for Transparent cables?
Transparent has their own online store. My contact with them has been positive. Be warned, their upper end cords are very expensive. The cord I got is from Stereo Exchange here in NYC. Retail is $250 for 1m. For me, I won't go beyond the Plus level, which is the next up.
audiofan1 likes this.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, JJ, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Wireworld, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
post #785 of 786 Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

When I revisit cables I'll give one a shot. I need to get some diffusion panels for the rear of the room first as I've wanting to try some for awhile.

Thanks
post #786 of 786 Old Today, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And a quick update. After some adjustments to the settings on both the Duo and the 88 (one Duo adjustment suggested by another AVSer), the Duo no longer loses signal from the 88 when I switch to another input then back to the 88. Progress!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Mcintosh Labs , Pioneer Bdp 09fd Elite Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd , Dvdo
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page