Old 10-06-2010, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

I too found the 5' to be an odd length. Had it been 6' it would have given me a bit more flexibility to move the amp around. I did not know you can get custom lengths...

Someone on another forum did it, but said it was going to take about a month to get. A 2.5 or 3m would be nice. I spoke with someone at Wireworld, and they, too, will do custom lengths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Looking good buddy. So have the MACs excided your expectations?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
Old 10-07-2010, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Looking good buddy. So have the MACs excided your expectations?

I've listened with their boxes between me and the right speaker, plus the still-unresolved clutter in the room, but preliminary report is that they are a definite step up from the B&Ks. The sound is more refined, cleaner. This may vary with the source or the recording, but that's my initial impression. There is a greater sense of "live" than before. They're not fully broken in yet, so things may improve in time.

I still plan to get aftermarket power cords for the 501s, but the sheer number and commentary out there makes it confusing. It's suggested that the gauge should be heavy as possible, even if it's heavier than my line conditioner's cord (12AWG). The marketing hype doesn't clear much up, either. A major determining factor will be my wallet, plus as a practical matter I won't go beyond maybe 10AWG or so. I think it gets too unwieldy after that. I have several I'm considering. If I come across a "regular" 12AWG cord in the meantime, I may just go for that and put an end to the confusion.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Having grown weary of the seemingly endless permutations regarding power cords, I took the plunge:

PS Audio PerfectWave AC-5s. They should be here early next week. I got a good price. Now, they're 2m, so I'll still have the issue of getting the right amp to my LCR2400. This is where the Shunyata comes in, unless I go for a JPS POWER AC + Outlet Center. More as it develops.
LL
Old 10-08-2010, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

PS Audio PerfectWave AC-5s. They should be here early next week. I got a good price. Now, they're 2m, so I'll still have the issue of getting the right amp to my LCR2400. This is where the Shunyata comes in, unless I go for a JPS POWER AC + Outlet Center. More as it develops.

That there is a sexy looking power cord, prepress. Congrats!

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Old 10-09-2010, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

Woohoo!

Welcome Prepress to your own thread! A nice subtle start to build up the drama...very smart!

I have the DVDO Edge...what is better about the Duo??

Mike

I forgot, the Auto AR feature too. The EDGE and Oppo weren't getting along in that way. Everything 4:3 would get stretched with the Oppo's Source Direct mode and I'd have to correct it manually. No such problem with my 09, by the way.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By the way HTG, I see that Venom III now comes in a 2m length. And, as noted in my thread, custom lengths are available. I now wonder if I shouldn't return the PS Audio AC-5s I ordered (due to arrive today) and get all Venom cables now, to go with the extension I already have.

That's a tough call. If the PS Audio has a liberal return policy I would at least try them out and see if you notice an improvement. If not then that would be a good time to try out the Venom. But I would just purchase one of their 2m cables, try it out and if the Venom makes the difference you seek then you should order the custom lengths.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
Old 10-12-2010, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's a tough call. If the PS Audio has a liberal return policy I would at least try them out and see if you notice an improvement. If not then that would be a good time to try out the Venom. But I would just purchase one of their 2m cables, try it out and if the Venom makes the difference you seek then you should order the custom lengths.

The AC-5s are probably going back anyway (they arrived earlier; UPS didn't ring my bell). The problem isn't sonic as much as practical. They're too stiff; I didn't think about that when I ordered them, and flexibility is a prime criterion with me. It was a bit of a struggle to get them connected to the 501s due to the limitations of my setup. They are 10 AWG, so that's got a lot to do with it. The Cable Company has a 30-day return policy, so I'm good there.

There is the AC-3, at 12 AWG. The Venom 3 is 12 AWG and very flexible, based upon the extension cord I already have. I didn't get Venoms first because at the time there was no 2m option, except as a custom length. Now there is.

I also just discovered that one of those Pangeas I returned (the 7 AWG behemoths) took a chunk out of the casing of the receptacle it was plugged into on my LCR. Too heavy and stiff.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The AC-5s are probably going back anyway (they arrived earlier; UPS didn't ring my bell). The problem isn't sonic as much as practical. They're too stiff; I didn't think about that when I ordered them, and flexibility is a prime criterion with me. It was a bit of a struggle to get them connected to the 501s due to the limitations of my setup. They are 10 AWG, so that's got a lot to do with it. The Cable Company has a 30-day return policy, so I'm good there.

There is the AC-3, at 12 AWG. The Venom 3 is 12 AWG and very flexible, based upon the extension cord I already have. I didn't get Venoms first because at the time there was no 2m option, except as a custom length. Now there is.

I also just discovered that one of those Pangeas I returned (the 7 AWG behemoths) took a chunk out of the casing of the receptacle it was plugged into on my LCR. Too heavy and stiff.

7 AWG

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
Old 10-14-2010, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

7 AWG

Yes, 7 AWG. And the PSA AC-5s went back yesterday, as they were too stiff also (though they didn't bust up my plug as the Pangea did). But, I now have a plan for what to do about cords for the 501s and the whole setup, and use the credit at The Cable Company I'll have as well. I need to figure the final cost, first, and then move on this.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I mentioned those evil Pangeas took a bite out of my LCR. Here's the damage (look away if you're squeamish!). . .

As I said, no more stiff, heavy-gauge cables for me. Unless there's extreme flexibility, nothing beyond 12 AWG, and maybe not even then.
LL
Old 10-23-2010, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've narrowed my power cord choices for the 501s down to the Wireworld Aurora 52, Stratus 52, PS Audio Jewel AC, AC-3 (outside shot), Pangea AC-14 (for sources only, though they can be used with power amps), and Shunyata Venom3. These all reflect the state of my budget at this point, and the AC-3 is the most expensive of the bunch (MSRP $239.99/2m).

I haven't determined how I want to set up finally. Now, I'm using a power strip to extend the right 501 to my LCR2400 power conditioner; I think an extension cord would be better but the best is a direct connection, which means a 3m cord (and more money). I am also considering a PSA Duet to extend my LCR to the wall rather than plug in directly, to offer an additional layer of filtering and the automatic shut-down feature; this is available with my current setup, but the HT1210 the LCR goes into has a 14-gauge cord rather than a 12-gauge as the LCR has. I wonder if I'm limiting current, even though the system doesn't pull anything near the HT1210's capacity (12A, whereas when playing music the system pulls only around 2A). Getting a Duet would necessitate another cable.

I notice a lot of people with WW cords on their Macs, some with PSA cords. Venom is getting a lot of positive press, but the 1.5m length is tricky in case I reconfigure my system and they prove too short. I was thinking about doing that next year if possible, with a Salamander rack replacing the Hooker cabinet I use now. The PSA cords have the detachable ground pin, which could be an advantage; they and the Pangeas also come in a C7 configuration should I go for upgrading my source components that use them.

Then, of course, there's flexibility. This is a major criterion, and the PSA AC-3 would be the least flexible from what I gather so far. The new WWs are said to be flexible, and due to multi-strand construction I'd think the Jewel AC is also. The Venom3 extension cord I have isn't too bad.

I have a $500 credit with The Cable Company I want to use. I'm hoping to sort this out soon.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I vote for the WWs! 2nd would be the PS Audios...

This is half the fun deciding...Good luck!
Old 10-23-2010, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I vote for the WWs! 2nd would be the PS Audios...

This is half the fun deciding...Good luck!

It's work.

I had thought of upgrading the source components with Pangea AC-14s, and since Jay Victor was also part of PS Audio's PerfectWave cable design, PS Audio would then make sense for the amps too. I have one component that needs a C7 connector, which I don't know if WW does. There is now the Kimber PK10, said to be more flexible than the PSA AC-3, even though it's 10 gauge versus the AC-3's 12 gauge. But like the Venom3, it doesn't come in a 3m version. I'd still need a power strip or extension cord. I could substitute the WW Matrix strip for the standard Fellowes I'm using (the MAtrix is shielded), but I'd have to buy an addititonal cable for it probably.

Too many choices. Argh.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am thinking about one of these to replace my second Tripplite, the one my LCR is plugged into.

It has 15A capacity rather than the 12A the HT1012 has, plus it has the same extreme voltage range as the LCR (89–140); the HT1012 shuts down sooner. I probably don't need the extra amps since the system at its normal-use peak isn't pulling much more than 4A or so, but who knows? True, it does have a captive cord, but that's one less PC I'd need to get. Plus, it has the voltage/wattage display, which the next model up doesn't (though it does offer 45A peak current versus this unit's 30A).

Still thinking about my power setup. Money is an issue now, along with the need to be practical, so I have to be more careful.
LL
Old 11-06-2010, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Earlier this week I was watching the Eric Clapton/Steve Winwood DVD of their Madison Square Garden concert and enjoying my favorite track, "Them Changes." And about midway through the track I thought, "wow, this sounds good". And maybe it was there before and I didn't notice, but I sensed a transparency I hadn't previously. This is a well-recorded DVD, but even so, if the system sounds this good with stock cords and my 2 Tripplites, do I really need to do anything else? If it weren't for that Cable Company credit, I might not.

So I'm researching (again ) and note that my HT1210 (not 1012 as previously typed) offers 5700 joules of protection. I can't find this info for the Furman so far, but PS Audio's AV 3000 offers 7344 joules; in fact all the PSA conditioners do, even the little Duet. There are several options out there, not only for power cables but conditioners. It's been well said that too many choices can be paralyzing. The inability of the audio part of me to decide means I'm going to have to fall back on my practical side for this current research; my "Vulcan" half, you might say.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
True, too many choices definitely make it harder...

Charles, do your Tripplites buzz/hum? Say if the room is all quiet, do you hear any noise coming from them?
Old 11-07-2010, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

True, too many choices definitely make it harder...

Charles, do your Tripplites buzz/hum? Say if the room is all quiet, do you hear any noise coming from them?

Under normal circumstances, no. If I put my ear up to them, I hear a faint hum. There's a third Tripplite running my computer equipment which is audible, though not disturbingly so; perhaps that's because of its built-in UPS. The low, steady hum is actually like a bit of white noise.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I see PPPs on sale amid reports that they're being discontinued. Amazingly, I'm considering trying to get one before they go. From a purely practical perspective there's no way I need to spend the money, especially in light of the big hit I took buying the McIntosh 501s; the bank account is low enough that even with a $500 store discount, a PPP would be a major expenditure.

And as it seems to always be, there would be necessary associated costs, like a power cord long enough to reach the necessary plug and something to compensate for the lack of outlets (the PPP has 10; my Tripplite LCR has 14). I do have a heavy-duty power strip I could use (I'm using it now to extend a 501 to the LCR), but that's not ideal. Add to that the loss of convenience: the LCR has 2 outlets on the front, allowing me to plug in my iron (9.6A) and just go; the PPP doesn't, plus the iron is near its capacity. PSA says that although the PPP's maximum output is 1500W (short bursts), its normal output is more like 1200W. The LCR will handle the entire line if it has to (LCR2400, after all). But the PPP will better isolate components from one another, possibly improving the sound a bit.

One other idea is to upgrade the HT1210 the LCR is plugged into, perhaps to a PF-i (the PF has a 45A current reserve; PPPs offer 50A, no big deal in my system anyway) versus the HT1210's 12A, then a modest upgrade to the AC cords for the 501s and the Furman.

I'll figure something out, I imagine.
LL
LL
Old 12-12-2010, 01:01 AM

I don't mean to be your crack dealer, but once you taste a PPP in your system, there ain't no goin back.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't mean to be your crack dealer, but once you taste a PPP in your system, there ain't no goin back.

The other factor here is that I have plans to be away for Christmas, so ordering anything is tricky. It's unclear whether I could get a delivery before the 21st (when I'm scheduled to leave). And economics play a role, as this is Christmas season, who knows what will have happened by the time I get back from travel. I may want to engage a trainer to help me with my workouts (need to decide soon, as rates go up 1/1). Let's not forget power cords as well. The more I spend on equipment, the further down the food chain they'll be.

Economics and practicality have to come first, I think. I also thought of replacing my TV stand next year, but the Salamander Triple 30 is too wide for the space I have. Realizing that technically I don't need ANY of what I'm considering, I'll go from there as a starting point.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

On the other hand, I'm considering this Panamax M5400-PM in light of the PPP situation (Cable Company is sold out) and a bit of a desire to upgrade my voltage regulation.

It has 5 zones and 11 outlets (I'd rather have more, but oh well). I could eventually team it up with the Furman PF-i with its 45A current reserve (which the system doesn't seem to need, frankly) if I wanted to redo everything. For now I'd keep the Tripplite HT1210 in play because I really like knowing how much power the system pulls...
LL
LL
Old 12-16-2010, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On the other hand, I'm considering this Panamax M5400-PM in light of the PPP situation (Cable Company is sold out) and a bit of a desire to upgrade my voltage regulation.

It has 5 zones and 11 outlets (I'd rather have more, but oh well). I could eventually team it up with the Furman PF-i with its 45A current reserve (which the system doesn't seem to need, frankly) if I wanted to redo everything. For now I'd keep the Tripplite HT1210 in play because I really like knowing how much power the system pulls...

I would wait on the PPP. The Panamax is a good unit but not as robust as the PPP.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
Old 12-17-2010, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would wait on the PPP. The Panamax is a good unit but not as robust as the PPP.

Probably true, HTG. The PPP does more than regulate power, it regenerates it. There are reasons I look at alternatives, however. One is that the PPP is being discontinued, which is why you see the discounted price all around. With the CC store credit, it would've been an easier purchase to justify; without, it's tough considering the other stuff I have to deal with now and near-future.

The other thing is that power protection is my main consideration rather than sound, and the Panamax does things my LCR2400 doesn't, though as with the PPP more outlets would be helpful. So it's still an upgrade.

It comes down to money and practical considerations. I will be away for about a week beginning Tuesday and will see what the landscape is like when I return. Christmas will be over, I'll have a better view of my funds (or lack thereof), and can see what's what.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

PREPRESS

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
Old 12-29-2010, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you, HTG. I just got back from Nashville about 25–30 minutes ago and will catch up on posts perhaps tomorrow. My head is wasted from the flight (the whole motion sickness/inner ear balance problem) and I can't really focus right now. I do hope that your Christmas was a good one, though.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have given in, and ordered one.

It should get here about Tuesday I was told. Now, having bought this I can't afford any more than entry-level cables, and after-market cord is probably necessary depending upon final system configuration. So it's either PS Audio Jewel AC or Wireworld Stratus, I guess. I have only $500 to work with now.
LL
Old 12-31-2010, 01:11 AM

Congrats pre!

Trust me, PPPs rock! You will notice a huge difference!

This is a crappy shot, but here are my twins:

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2010, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Happy holdiays, prepress.

I did not know you purchased a PPP. Very cool. Welcome to the club.

Since we're posting pics of our twins, here's mine.

Enjoy the last day of 2010.

Cheers.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Old 12-31-2010, 03:06 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Happy new year prepress best wishes for 2011

Frank

Tags
Mcintosh Labs , Pioneer Bdp 09fd Elite Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd , Dvdo
Gear in this thread