AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post
Congrats pre!

Trust me, PPPs rock! You will notice a huge difference!

This is a crappy shot, but here are my twins:

Happy New Year!
What's that white block the right one is sitting on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 717 Old 12-31-2010, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Happy new year prepress best wishes for 2011
Same to you Franin, and to everyone.

Unlike the major systems you all have, mine will be running on one PPP. Because of the low system draw I can get away with this. But the lack of a convenience outlet on the PPP means having to make yet another change, unfortunately, as I need that feature. So I still look at a Furman to sit in the rack with it. And I'm fast approaching the point where I really have to watch the spending.
post #93 of 717 Old 12-31-2010, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay, this is on the way as well.

It should arrive around Wednesday next week. Money is now officially tight, so I should use stock cords temporarily. Those WW Stratus are looking good right about now, plus I prefer the jacket color. I know, Auroras are supposedly better, but I have only a $498 credit to use at the store. Still thinking.
LL
post #94 of 717 Old 12-31-2010, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

What's that white block the right one is sitting on?

It's a 2x4 leftover piece of wood to raise the PPP up, my BDI rack has a ridge at the back that makes the big cords hard to connect. I have that door closed all the time so you can't see it...a little "ghetto" I know!

What's a convenience outlet? Switched?
post #95 of 717 Old 12-31-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Happy holdiays, prepress.

I did not know you purchased a PPP. Very cool. Welcome to the club.

Since we're posting pics of our twins, here's mine.

Enjoy the last day of 2010.

Cheers.

Those twins are sure pretty...what is it with us guys, twin PPPs, twin 501s, it's like we have been trained to like sets of twos...hmmmm
post #96 of 717 Old 12-31-2010, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

It's a 2x4 leftover piece of wood to raise the PPP up, my BDI rack has a ridge at the back that makes the big cords hard to connect. I have that door closed all the time so you can't see it...a little "ghetto" I know!

What's a convenience outlet? Switched?

It's the outlet on the front of the unit; "convenience" outlets are what they're sometimes called. Very handy for quick connections. I need it and the PPP doesn't have one.

By the way, the power cord issue is resolved as well. I just used up my Cable Company credit with a bit over. There are 2 WW Aurora 5.2s and 2 Stratus 5.2s on the way. The Auroras will connect the 501s to the PPP, and the Strats will connect the PPP to the 15PFi and the 15PFi to the wall.

And with this, no more upgrades; only replacements should something break. That's the plan. If I hear a big difference with the WWs, I may consider something for the source components down the road (C7 as well as IEC connections where possible) but not now. I and my wallet will need to recover a bit. Of course, my original thought was to try and get a Salamander Synergy Triple 30, but they don't make them in the width I need.
post #97 of 717 Old 12-31-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It's nearly New Years Eve over where you're at, and soon after it'll officially be 2011. Have yourself a Happy New Year!

Seth
post #98 of 717 Old 12-31-2010, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

It's nearly New Years Eve over where you're at, and soon after it'll officially be 2011. Have yourself a Happy New Year!

Seth

A quiet one, I hope. I have a headache, which is going to be followed by peppermint tea, a shower, and bed.
post #99 of 717 Old 01-01-2011, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Happy New Year, prepress. Here's to a great 2011.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #100 of 717 Old 01-01-2011, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Happy New Year, prepress. Here's to a great 2011.

Same to you and everyone.

Man, those WW Auroras are ugly. They'd better make some kind of difference, because they'll shoot down the color coordination I prefer in my setup.
post #101 of 717 Old 01-04-2011, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's here. I'll let everyone figure out what it is. Waiting on power cords rather than use extension cords with it for now.
LL
post #102 of 717 Old 01-04-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

It's here. I'll let everyone figure out what it is. Waiting on power cords rather than use extension cords with it for now.

Hey prepress. Just to let you know, I get no picture.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #103 of 717 Old 01-05-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey prepress. Just to let you know, I get no picture.

Okay, I think I fixed it.
post #104 of 717 Old 01-05-2011, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay, FedEx has struck twice this week, the second time mere minutes ago. . .

Now, I'm waiting for power cords to connect these two.
LL
post #105 of 717 Old 01-07-2011, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Box number three is here. . .

Now, I can start to put things together. Or, wait until next weekend, when I could have some help (not that I need it, but it would be fun to have the company). I plan to post a picture or two when things are set up fully.
LL
post #106 of 717 Old 01-08-2011, 12:19 AM

Woohoo!

Power in the Prepress house! Enjoy your PPP!!
post #107 of 717 Old 01-08-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Holy moly, prepress. You're keeping the UPS man busy.

Welcome to the triple P club.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #108 of 717 Old 01-08-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually, the PPP and Furman were FedEx. But UPS got into the act on box #3.

I have a potential setback here. My shoulder, which has been bothering me, is really bothering me today. Limited range of motion and pain with almost every move (and even some when I don't move) will make it difficult to get things happening. But I intend to try anyway. It will be difficult to even straighten up with only one arm functioning. I went to the doctor, who suspects a rotator cuff problem and wants me to have a few weeks of PT, then an MRI if that doesn't work. But I saw him Monday; it's Saturday and the shoulder's much worse. I intend to argue for the MRI first if the shoulder doesn't calm down by Monday or Tuesday.

However, after a snack, it's time to do some unboxing.
post #109 of 717 Old 01-08-2011, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've just made the attempt to connect my PPP, and I get no power, only a single blue light. I've tried into the wall and through two different conditioners, but no go. The PS Audio logo (the power switch) doesn't do the trick; it doesn't light up, in fact. The unit doesn't respond to the remote. The rear switches are set to "always on." Am I missing something or do I perhaps have a lemon?

If anyone has ideas, it would be appreciated.
post #110 of 717 Old 01-14-2011, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I have a UPS pickup scheduled for Monday for the DOA Power Plant. More, this isn't an exchange; I'm returning it for credit.

The day after I'd ordered the PPP I had a bit of buyer's remorse, but nothing too serious (i.e., big knot in the stomach). But I had time to think, and when it arrived dead that helped convince me to return it and stick with what I've got for now. So I'm running my Tripplite LCR2400 through the Furman (that I'm keeping). At some point I may look into replacing the LCR, but not now; I don't need to get back on the upgrade horse. And I realize the influence of magazines and (especially) forums, as I got caught up in the upgrade bug, what with the PPP being on sale and everyone raving about it.

If I were to replace my LCR, at this point there are only 3 options: a Furman SPR-20i (I'd need a 20A-15A adapter for that) or Panamax's M5400-PM or Max-7500. All 3 regulate voltage and offer more functions than my LCR, though the SPR lacks the convenience outlet I want. But as a practical matter, I'm only 10 years or so from retiring (God willing), and need to take a careful look at large discretionary purchases like this. So taking the more reasoned approach (not nessarily an audiophile one), I think I will stand pat and try enjoying the music for a while.

I may decide to replace some more power cords on the front-end equipment, getting shorter ones to mitigate the bird's nest behind my right rack in particular. That wouldn't cost too much, and I could do it soon.
post #111 of 717 Old 01-23-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have made some small progress with my living room. Here's a photo taken today. The room looks more open, even with the remaining clutter.

The Mac 501 boxes have been put away and the B&Ks have been placed in their boxes; that's them on the floor around the coffee table. I now have my coffee table back and don't have to contend with boxes blocking sound from the speakers. Or feeling closed in. The 501 boxes are easily 2x the size of the B&K boxes.

I am using the Furman Elite-15PF1 to support my Tripplite LCR2400, and am pleased. But the LCR now looks rather inelegant with its rack-mount faceplate. I may yet replace it with something else, perhaps a Furman SPR-20i. I missed a chance to get one at a significant discount, but may still do it later using my AMEX rewards points to bring the cost down; I don't do it now because I used half of them up on Amazon, and the remaining points would be good for only $275 off. The Panamax MAX 7500 is a little busy to my eyes, and it's more money than the Furman. Of course, a purchase like this isn't truly necessary, so I can take my time and consider carefully.
LL
post #112 of 717 Old 02-09-2011, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Coming into the home stretch. The Furman is great, but using its coax protection means the dreaded 60Hz hum is back. Using a Mondial Magic Brick kills the hum, but in combination with the Furman takes out more channels than the Tripplite HT1210.

So...

Anybody ever use one of these?
LL
post #113 of 717 Old 02-10-2011, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Hey Charles, what is up my man!!

Long time no talk. I too am curious as to how well the isolator above works. Hum is a terrible thing in a system. Do you get it all the time or just when the cable box is on?
post #114 of 717 Old 02-11-2011, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post
Hey Charles, what is up my man!!

Long time no talk. I too am curious as to how well the isolator above works. Hum is a terrible thing in a system. Do you get it all the time or just when the cable box is on?
Hello there, dd.

I get hum anytime the stereo is on unless the Mondial is in place; as long as the coax feed is connected, there's hum. It's worse with the Furman than with the Tripplite HT1210. I plan to connect the Jensen later today, and will report on how it does. It's designed specifically for this 60Hz hum issue with CATV/cable systems; it doesn't work for satellite. If you're curious, I attached a product PDF.

And, I've decided to go for the Furman SPR-20i mentioned previously, unless something unforseen prevents it. I'm waiting for the closing date on my Optima to pass first. That way, I have two moths to pay for it .

vrd1ff.pdf 293.73046875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf vrd1ff.pdf (293.7 KB, 0 views)
post #115 of 717 Old 02-12-2011, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay, I connected the Jensen and no hum! Unfortunately, the Jensen/Furman combination loses channels, a large number, though only one is HD (MSG).

So with just the Jensen, I still don't get MSGHD. The cable guy is coming today. We'll see what happens.
post #116 of 717 Old 02-21-2011, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay. The next piece has been ordered, the Furman SPR-20i:

It's a voltage regulator meant to replace my faithful Tripplite LCR2400, which I'm planning to repurpose. The SPR offers more features, and that's good if the other conditioner in my setup fails or goes weird on me. I do now have a system reconfiguration facing me, because the cord (it comes with two, which is cool; one each with a 15A and 20A wall plug) is only 7 feet long, not long enough to reach the wall. The LCR has a 12ft cord, not long enough either, but with my Shunyata Venom extension, is more than long enough. I'm not sure about chaining a second Venom to get the SPR to the wall plug.
LL
LL
post #117 of 717 Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Charles, this is cool! Do you think it'll help with the hum? Also, what did the cable guy say?
post #118 of 717 Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Charles, this is cool! Do you think it'll help with the hum? Also, what did the cable guy say?

Hey ddgtr,

As for the missing channel(s), I had to disconnect the Jensen and go coax direct into the box. The cable guy went to the main junction and found I was on a splitter (which I didn't know). Fixing that should improve signal strength. The Time Warner rep I was working with over the phone has asked me to monitor things using NO filters and report back to her. I don't know if the cable guy checked the grounding, but 60Hz hum can be a result of improper grounding.

As for picture artifacts and such, I've seen those, and yesterday two channels disappeared for a while (likely an issue on TW's end). But I'm not going to disconnect the coax cable every time I want to play music, so the filter's going back on. I'll deal with the missing channel if need be, but the current situation doesn't work for me long-term. There are some other things I can try first, though. The story continues.
post #119 of 717 Old 02-25-2011, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Charles, is the Furman in yet??
post #120 of 717 Old 02-25-2011, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Charles, is the Furman in yet??

No, unfortunately. It's being drop-shipped directly from Furman, and I hope it will be here next week. I'm to be notified when it's on the way by the vendor. A 10% discount takes a bit of the sting out of waiting, though.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Mcintosh Labs , Pioneer Bdp 09fd Elite Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd , Dvdo
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page