The prepress system - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Glad you got it back and it is working. Was the repair under warranty or did you have to pay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

On the home front, My OPPO 83 came back today, along with a report of what happened with it. Having confirmed the problem (when pressing OPEN on the first try, the player would try to load a disc instead of opening), Oppo repaired the loader frame (not sure what that is), updated the firmware and tested the player before returning it. And having unpacked and re-installed it, the 83 it behaved properly during the brief time I used it. More to come, as I use it again over the next few days.

I've decided that I don't want my Duo VP sitting on top of it any more, as I didn't realize the Duo puts out some heat through the vents underneath, more than through the top. A system reconfig is in order.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Glad to hear you are back up and running Prepress!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post

Glad you got it back and it is working. Was the repair under warranty or did you have to pay?

Under warranty, fortunately. I think it's a 2-year; I'll have to look. That being the case, it would expire in a couple of weeks.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikarate View Post

Glad to hear you are back up and running Prepress!

Thanks. And I'm wondering whether the heat from the Duo contributed at all to the 83's failure. Reconfiguring won't be easy, however. A new main A/V rack would be helpful, something I'm looking into. I really prefer the heat-givers have their own shelves, plus the Duo needs to be near my computer for firmware updates.

I can hear money leaving my pocket. . .

Old 05-06-2011, 06:02 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Thanks. And I'm wondering whether the heat from the Duo contributed at all to the 83's failure. Reconfiguring won't be easy, however. A new main A/V rack would be helpful, something I'm looking into. I really prefer the heat-givers have their own shelves, plus the Duo needs to be near my computer for firmware updates.

I can hear money leaving my pocket. . .
Have you looked at a server rack prepress?

Frank

Old 05-07-2011, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Have you looked at a server rack prepress?

It hadn't occurred to me Franin, and as I think of it now, I'm not sure it would work given my setup. I have those 501 monsters on the bottom of each outside rack (92 lb. each), and the left-hand rack may well have my record cleaning machine on the top shelf in the end. I don't know if my needs are compatible with a server rack. Still, It won't hurt to take another look so I can be sure. Sanus has one, and there are others.

I could just get an extension for the Duo's USB cable, too.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:06 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

It hadn't occurred to me Franin, and as I think of it now, I'm not sure it would work given my setup. I have those 501 monsters on the bottom of each outside rack (92 lb. each), and the left-hand rack may well have my record cleaning machine on the top shelf in the end. I don't know if my needs are compatible with a server rack. Still, It won't hurt to take another look so I can be sure. Sanus has one, and there are others.

I could just get an extension for the Duo's USB cable, too.

Server racks shelves can hold quite a bit of weight. There is different sizes you can always 2x 28RU or one 42 RU. Depends on how much gear you have.

Frank

Old 05-07-2011, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since Oppo support seemed to be very responsive, I would contact them and ask if they think it could have been heat related before you invest the time and money into a reconfig. Unless you are just itchin to get a new rack of course, in which case a reconfig sounds like a good idea

Old 05-07-2011, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikarate View Post

Since Oppo support seemed to be very responsive, I would contact them and ask if they think it could have been heat related before you invest the time and money into a reconfig. Unless you are just itchin to get a new rack of course, in which case a reconfig sounds like a good idea

Did you read my mind? I was thinking of asking them what would cause the loader frame to malfunction. In fact, I sent an e-mail a minute or so ago. If it's heat-related (no guarantee heat's the cause), that seals the deal.

Even without that, I was thinking of a new rack for convenience reasons. My current console (see earlier pics) isn't equipment-friendly for the equipment I have and it's quite awkward to go in there to do anything. And as I mentioned in a previous post, I had to buy new interconnects for my preamp/amp connections because those I had wouldn't go through the console's rear slots well; indeed, one set was damaged in the attempt.

One way out is to put the Oppo inside the console, on the shelf currently occupied by the phono preamp's power supply. That doesn't solve the accessibility issue, but it gets the Oppo away from the Duo.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

According to OPPO, the loader frame malfunction is generally due to the magnetic field being too high. The magnet's pull has been reduced; this is the one that holds the disc in place during playback.

I've asked if stacking with another component would matter, though I somehow doubt it. Perhaps we'll see.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:06 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

According to OPPO, the loader frame malfunction is generally due to the magnetic field being too high. The magnet's pull has been reduced; this is the one that holds the disc in place during playback.

I have to admit I didn't know that there was a magnetic field involved with blu ray players. I guess I'm still learning.

Frank

Old 05-13-2011, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As you know, I am considering a new main A/V rack for my system, one that's more equipment-friendly. I've been in touch with Billy Bags, and ddgtr suggested I consult a welder, which might be cheaper; I haven't done that yet, because I'd like to hear what Billy Bags has to say first. I have attached two roughs of the front view which I put together.

The first one is a bit unusual, but the idea is to locate the "hub" components (preamp, VP, voltage regulator) more centrally in the system, hoping that will let me use shorter connections and thereby have less clutter. That will also locate the supplies for my VPI 16.5 record cleaning machine closer to the machine itself (which will likely sit on top of the Sanus Euro rack to that left side). The second is visually more appealing perhaps but doesn't even out the distances left and right as much I'd like. This could come down to looks vs. efficiency.

table2.pdf 43.9609375k . file

table3.pdf 41.712890625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf table3.pdf (41.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf table2.pdf (44.0 KB, 4 views)

Old 06-15-2011, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've sent Billy Bags several ideas for a new rack, and have spoken on the phone with them as well. No response yet to my latest sketches, which were sent about 2 weeks ago.

More, despite the relative inconvenience of my current cabinet, I wouldn't lose that much sleep if I kept it. Still checking things out, just not as energetically.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:10 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

As you know, I am considering a new main A/V rack for my system, one that's more equipment-friendly. I've been in touch with Billy Bags, and ddgtr suggested I consult a welder, which might be cheaper; I haven't done that yet, because I'd like to hear what Billy Bags has to say first. I have attached two roughs of the front view which I put together.

The first one is a bit unusual, but the idea is to locate the "hub" components (preamp, VP, voltage regulator) more centrally in the system, hoping that will let me use shorter connections and thereby have less clutter. That will also locate the supplies for my VPI 16.5 record cleaning machine closer to the machine itself (which will likely sit on top of the Sanus Euro rack to that left side). The second is visually more appealing perhaps but doesn't even out the distances left and right as much I'd like. This could come down to looks vs. efficiency.

Second one doesn't look too bad prepress. One thing though you might accommodate to what you have know but also think of the future thats where I messed up a few years back with the cabinet in my theatre room. You might end up getting a player that's built like a tank and you cannot fit it into the space. Just a thought

Frank

Old 06-15-2011, 05:11 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

I've sent Billy Bags several ideas for a new rack, and have spoken on the phone with them as well. No response yet to my latest sketches, which were sent about 2 weeks ago.

More, despite the relative inconvenience of my current cabinet, I wouldn't lose that much sleep if I kept it. Still checking things out, just not as energetically.

They must be busy or there service isnt there

Frank

Old 06-15-2011, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Second one doesn't look too bad prepress. One thing though you might accommodate to what you have know but also think of the future thats where I messed up a few years back with the cabinet in my theatre room. You might end up getting a player that's built like a tank and you cannot fit it into the space. Just a thought
I spent several hours coming up with alternatives, having thought about that. I don't plan any major upgrades, though I would have to reconfigure with a new rack in place. Below are the last ones I sent (front view only), and one they sent me based on an earlier idea I had; you'll need to rotate theirs.

table8x.pdf 62.6787109375k . file

table9x.pdf 58.4052734375k . file

FRIERSON_CUSTOM PRO 61_05_24_11_642.pdf 45.5146484375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FRIERSON_CUSTOM PRO 61_05_24_11_642.pdf (45.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf table9x.pdf (58.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf table8x.pdf (62.7 KB, 4 views)

Old 06-15-2011, 07:59 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

I spent several hours coming up with alternatives, having thought about that. I don't plan any major upgrades, though I would have to reconfigure with a new rack in place. Below are the last ones I sent (front view only), and one they sent me based on an earlier idea I had; you'll need to rotate theirs.

I actually don't mind the one they sent.

Frank

Old 06-15-2011, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 490
You doing some upgrading and remodeling, prepress? Like Franin said earlier, get a cabinet that has room for expansion. You never know what new piece of must have gear awaits around the corner. I've pretty much filled my rack to capacity. Although I could probably cram another piece of two in there. I like this cabinet that you posted. What are your thoughts?
LL

Growing Older But Not Up
Old 06-16-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Greetings Prepress!

Have you considered getting a small wood-working shop to build you a modular rack to your desired specifications? This way, you could stain it to a finish better than what you would get from a manufacturer's veneers. I've never used a wood-worker before, but I'm willing to bet that, as long as you know precisely what you want in terms of shelving (which you do, judging from the tables you posted), it should turn out looking great. Probably cheaper than Billy Bags as well.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
Old 06-17-2011, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I heard from Billy Bags Wednesday. Apparently they were waiting for me to indicate a preference of the sketches I sent, while I was waiting for feedback on those same sketches. Anyway, looking back at what I sent them, I'm less enthusiastic about most of them, and the process may be taking too long as my general enthusiasm for the idea of a new cabinet has waned. But I press on.

The sketch they sent is too wide, which is why things went back to the drawing board; I'm limited to a maximum width of 58", and that's a bit tight. I did come up with one more idea which is based on an earlier sketch. I'll send it to them and post it later (have to get ready for work now).

Going to a woodworker is another thing I hadn't thought of, as I wanted any new rack to at least resemble the Sanus Euros on the outside. But perhaps the place I got my bookcases (if they're still in business) would be worth checking out.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

On another note, I had an equipment failure last night: HDMI cables can go bad, it seems. I was all set to watch the Mahavishnu Orchestra Live at Montreaux DVD when I noted frequent video dropouts. I tried another DVD, Tineke Postma's Live in Amsterdam, same thing. If you've never heard of her, she's a jazz musician (tenor/soprano saxophone). Being the cool customer I usually am, I decided to try another HDMI. Problem solved.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

You doing some upgrading and remodeling, prepress? Like Franin said earlier, get a cabinet that has room for expansion. You never know what new piece of must have gear awaits around the corner. I've pretty much filled my rack to capacity. Although I could probably cram another piece of two in there. I like this cabinet that you posted. What are your thoughts?

My latest concern is that the rack not be too specific to current equipment. If I wanted to rearrange equipment or acquire new/larger equipment, I'd be limited size-wise. Not a disaster, but not ideal either.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:59 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

On another note, I had an equipment failure last night: HDMI cables can go bad, it seems. I was all set to watch the Mahavishnu Orchestra Live at Montreaux DVD when I noted frequent video dropouts. I tried another DVD, Tineke Postma's Live in Amsterdam, same thing. If you've never heard of her, she's a jazz musician (tenor/soprano saxophone). Being the cool customer I usually am, I decided to try another HDMI. Problem solved.

welcome to my world I had the same problem. Originally I bought cheap HDMI cables under 2m because I was told I should have no issue but I guess they were wrong. I had audio, video dropouts. I had issue with no pic in the beginning, audio pop etc. I replaced the 7 of them this time around with decent cables.

Frank

Old 06-18-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Regardless of what people say there are differences with cheap versus quality cables. I've found that out myself several times. I don't advocate spending more than what you feel comfortable spending but there's no harm in investing in a quality cable that won't result in video sync issues among other problems.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For my main player I use a Pioneer 09, with HDMI carrying video only. Once I replaced the cable it was fine. I forget what it cost, but it wasn't that expensive. I was using a 3ft., 28AWG Blue Jeans cable; all my other BJ cables are working fine. I replaced the troublemaker with a 4ft. Belkin, which is 24AWG and much less flexible.

I was thinking about Pangea HDMIs at one point. Not sure if I'll go there, but who knows? They're all 24AWG and, if they're as stiff as the Belkin, could be problematic. The silver-plated one (4%) costs more.

And here's that last rack idea, which is merely a variation on table #8, posted earlier. I'd be repeating myself mostly after this. The center section is a bit wider, at 13", so I can either put the cable box in there or leave it on the top shelf.

table12.pdf 42.037109375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf table12.pdf (42.0 KB, 2 views)

Old 06-18-2011, 07:14 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Regardless of what people say there are differences with cheap versus quality cables. I've found that out myself several times.

I agree 100%

Frank

Old 06-25-2011, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

welcome to my world I had the same problem. Originally I bought cheap HDMI cables under 2m because I was told I should have no issue but I guess they were wrong. I had audio, video dropouts. I had issue with no pic in the beginning, audio pop etc. I replaced the 7 of them this time around with decent cables.

Which cables did you replace them with? I'm curious.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:20 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Which cables did you replace them with? I'm curious.

Hi prepress sorry for the late reply I use these cables now:

Quote:

High Speed HDMI Cables with long length i-active technology
The EVS series of HDMI cables is an upgrade from the EVO series, comprising the same solid-core and flat cable geometry, but with superior silver plated conductors. In addition, the EVS range now supports the new High Speed with Ethernet standard up to 10m / 32′ to fully support the optional Ethernet and Audio Return Channel (ARC) over HDMI as well as achieving the maximum certified bandwidth of 10.2Gbps. New long length models, now up to 18m / 59′, deliver High Speed performance thanks to our unique implementation of the remarkable Redmere active technology. This technology corrects errors in the HDMI bitstream, without the need for an external power supply by utilizing an extremely low power design and its ability to harvest power from both the +5V line and TMDS cores within the HDMI signal. Combined with our all-new connector shell design, the EVS range offers one of the shortest mounting depths available, regardless of length, while maintaining a secure and robust connection.
High purity silver plated cores reduces digital jitter for improved picture & sound
Ethernet and Audio Return Channel supported on 0.5m / 1′7″ - 10m / 32′ models
Triple shield TMDS channels - 2 × mylar foil wrap layers, plus copper braid
Lightweight aluminium shell and premium Pearl PVC cable jacket
Full CEC support for remote control via HDMI with compatible hardware
All models support 3D and HD Audio formats
High Speed with Ethernet 0.5m / 1′7″ - 10m / 32′
High Speed on new 12m / 39′ - 18m / 59′ models
Redmere active cable technology employed on new 7m / 22′11″ - 18m / 59′ lengths
ATC certified
Official HDMI Adopter status
Kordz® IMMORTAL lifetime warranty
NOTE: All models support the full 10.2Gbps bandwidth for all specified audio and video modes except the EVS-HDMI-15P which supports up to 1080p/60 with 24 bit colour depth and x.v.Color.

Frank

Old 06-26-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There are some Pangeas with silver plating, as well as higher-priced models from other manufacturers. I'll ask the dangerous question: have you noticed a difference in video with these new HDMIs as opposed to what they replaced?

Old 06-26-2011, 07:17 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

There are some Pangeas with silver plating, as well as higher-priced models from other manufacturers. I'll ask the dangerous question: have you noticed a difference in video with these new HDMIs as opposed to what they replaced?

No difference at all. Its mainly for stability carrying the signal and avoiding the blu screen due to handshake issues. I remember used to think it was the duo or the pre amp(before I had the duo) and all along it was my bloody cables. I even got rid of my sony bdp 350 because at times it didn't handshake properly.

Frank

Tags
Mcintosh Labs , Pioneer Bdp 09fd Elite Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd , Dvdo
Gear in this thread