HuskerOmaha's Basement Theater ++ - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 625 Old 02-16-2011, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
For any of you interested in CHT products or looking at full-range speakers, a new product offering is happening at CHT.

And I have the prototypes!

Boo yah!

Anyways, I'll get some pictures up and a review in the next week.

They are cool looking things...full range 6" speakers....nice cabinet and the newer CHT black finish.

They are a few db less output than the SHO-10 obviously, but for stereo have some good characteristics and would be GREAT rear surrounds and in a smaller HT an adequate front soundstage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 625 Old 02-17-2011, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Did somebody in here just say boo yah!?

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #363 of 625 Old 02-18-2011, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Granite guys came over and I should have install next week. They are missing their install date (2/17) so I'm going to try and get some money off.

Bought the faucet today...wanted a kitchen one since the true bar types are limited...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_5365-72981-1...-%20$200|Delta

I also used my Droid X and used ShopSavvy app, took a picture of the barcode, and got $30 off list since Amazon had a deal on them.

BOO YAH

For any locals interested, a couple guys are coming over tomorrow afternoon to check out the setup and test the SHO-6 prototypes against the SHO-10s.
post #364 of 625 Old 02-19-2011, 02:29 AM

Liked: 10
damn you greg and your toys! (color me jealous) you have a functional basement yet?
post #365 of 625 Old 02-19-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Had a couple guys over and had the SHO-10 and SHO-6 lined up in 2 channel and regular listening modes.

The SHO-6 prototypes competed well. Look great.

Pictures when I can get some up.
post #366 of 625 Old 02-19-2011, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Wish i could have made it, glad the 6s are working out
post #367 of 625 Old 02-20-2011, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Had a couple guys over and had the SHO-10 and SHO-6 lined up in 2 channel and regular listening modes.

The SHO-6 prototypes competed well. Look great.

Pictures when I can get some up.

Thanks for having me over today, HuskerOmaha. Your project looks like a lot of fun (and work), it is coming together nicely.

The SHO-10/18.T combo kicks some serious butt. I cannot imagine spending less and getting more.

What really intrigued me was the SHO-6. It blends well with the SHO-10 and sounded great on it's own.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #368 of 625 Old 02-20-2011, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 View Post

Thanks for having me over today, HuskerOmaha. Your project looks like a lot of fun (and work), it is coming together nicely.

The SHO-10/18.T combo kicks some serious butt. I cannot imagine spending less and getting more.

What really intrigued me was the SHO-6. It blends well with the SHO-10 and sounded great on it's own.

After I got home, my family and I watched Grown Ups and after they went to bed I watched The American.

The Sho 6 speaker performed well as a L/R in 5.1....I only noticed a little less sound on some action scenes but they sounded great!

Thanks for coming over! Desertdome's 2 channel setup is sick. NOW I get why people have listening rooms....I'm just not into music as much as the movie experience at this time...but wow.

And his MFW Turbo really impressed....
post #369 of 625 Old 02-20-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

After I got home, my family and I watched Grown Ups and after they went to bed I watched The American.

The Sho 6 speaker performed well as a L/R in 5.1....I only noticed a little less sound on some action scenes but they sounded great!

Thanks for coming over! Desertdome's 2 channel setup is sick. NOW I get why people have listening rooms....I'm just not into music as much as the movie experience at this time...but wow.

And his MFW Turbo really impressed....

The SHO-6 is no match for the SHO-10, but it really is a very enjoyable speaker in it's own right. I think people are going to be very surprised, I know I was.

Desertdome's system is very impressive, to think he is going to add another MFW-15 Turbo or two... whew!

Finish your room and we can get you dialed in the same way, HuskerOmaha. Your room is going to be a lot of fun for movies and music.

EDIT: Watching movies? You're not supposed to be watching movies yet!

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #370 of 625 Old 02-21-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll post some more SHO-6 pictures later...if you can't wait go check out the thread on the CHT forums....

Finally have some dates set in stone....

WED 23rd.....Granite Counters being installed....

FRI 25th......Doors should be returned painted.....

SAT/SUN 26/27th......Will paint trim and finish wall touch-up paint.....

MON 28th........Carpet will be installed.....

I'm also picking up my father-in-laws table saw and sanders (and maybe Forstner bits if he has them) to build these speaker stands...(wife also wants some toy shelves built).....

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/stubby_e.html

I'm tired of screwing with these crappy monoprice mounts meant for LCDs that cannot hold my speakers level...Plus people have sold me on the better acoustic properties of utilizing speaker stands...

(So I have 10 speaker/LCD mounts...any takers?....)

Things to do after this...

Locate and order/install shower door.....

Locate and install bathroom mirror.....

Install bathroom light fixture/buy a different one if it doesn't work with future mirror.....

Draw up a plan for acoustic treatments....bass traps in front corners and 1" 703 on wall.....

Draw up designs for velvet curtains on side walls....

Debate/design ideas for light/sound control on ceiling.....
post #371 of 625 Old 02-21-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Had time to get out and buy what I need for the stands...probably start on them tomorrow.....

post #372 of 625 Old 02-22-2011, 07:30 AM

One thing to consider since you are putting cloth on front wall is installing an infrared eye up front below the screen somewhere. That way it will look integrated and be able to control your equipment without having to point the remotes to the left. Also it will make dimming the lights much easier. I programmed multi step dimming into my Harmony One so when I choose an activity it automatically brings down the lights. It's a nice feature that always impresses visitors.
post #373 of 625 Old 02-22-2011, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didn't do a graphic eye just have lutron dimmers...so I don't think I can do that right?

I will be installing an infrared on the wall though like you are suggesting...just haven't found which one I want....probably the Harmony One Remote though...we will see!

Yeah, so I got mad and just decided to go with the cove bit, which I'm sure is harder to get to go against the grain

Progress so far....

Well I made 2 mistakes so far but I won't repeat them on my top pieces of oak...

I've only used a table router before not a hand held one...so I just drew a pencil mark as a guide instead of using another piece of wood to clamp on top of the oak pieces to serve as a guide. I also routered one edge of the wrong side but I can just put that towards the screen wall and they are on the dark carpet..so whatever....

I call these woops1 and woops2.

Those Forstner bits are awesome. That part was cake.

Pick up here tomorrow and do the tops the right way with the router...

Don't make too much fun...novice woodworker here....

Once sanded down and stained/poly'd I'm sure those edges won't look as bad as they do now!
post #374 of 625 Old 02-22-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Wait, are you using router bits that have the bearing on the end? If so, you shouldn't need a guide, you just follow the edge of the wood with the bearing.
post #375 of 625 Old 02-22-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nope, doesn't have the bearing...my dad in law has a table with guides/etc but it was in his shop with his table saw and he was leaving for the week so I just grabbed this.

I'll throw a piece of wood on top of the two upper pieces for the stands to act as a better guide so I don't go too deep when going against the grain.

They don't look too terrible but I definitely can do better....
post #376 of 625 Old 02-22-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah that sucks, the bearing ones make things much easier, no need for a guide, since the piece you're working on is the guide.

Edit: I used these - http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piec...:referralID=NA - cheap, and work pretty good (except the bearing for the flush trim bit fell off after a lot of use).
post #377 of 625 Old 02-22-2011, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think I may go grab another 12" x 24" piece for the bases and redo them.

I might accidentally buy my own router and bit set with bearings too.

Or maybe a router table, but I'm not sure if I have room for one....or do I!
post #378 of 625 Old 02-22-2011, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Any suggestions on brands to look at for router stuff?
post #379 of 625 Old 02-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
You have done a great job. I would look at Porter Cable router they make an excellent one.
post #380 of 625 Old 02-23-2011, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I forgot I had to give a check to the granite guys, so I decided not to drop $300 on router supplies.

I just used another piece as a straight edge...I bet I got it to almost what a table would give me....

I took Brad's advice, but instead of shearing off a 1/2" with a circular saw and redoing it, I just made them deeper.

I actually like the look. The bottom bases will be deeper coved out or whatever and the tops only 1/2".

Crappy one on top, good one on bottom....

Apparently one of my 8x12s was on the wrong side when I drilled the holes...but I guess a speaker will be sitting on that rougher patch so whatever...

I still need to sand these tomorrow, but they are looking good so far....and I had to stop for the GRANITE DELIVERY.

post #381 of 625 Old 02-23-2011, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm freaking excited.

Counters really change the look of the room..kind of the feeling I got when the drywall went up.

The only thing that apparently didn't get communicated was for the granite slab for the wetbar area to have the 45 degree edge following the lower cabinets. It doesn't look bad, and if my wife doesn't care I won't make a stink about it. If she does care, I guess someone is coming in with a diamond bladed skillsaw and fixing it!

The Uba Tuba turned out great. I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money, I'm happy with "cheap".

That white caulk dries clear...

I think the bar looks more expensive than the $100 in materials.....

I think we will be happy with the 16x20" sink and the larger kitchen faucet/soap dispenser as well....almost went with a 12x16 sink...

post #382 of 625 Old 02-23-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Nice!
Congrats!

Carpet also changes the look of a room!

Mike
post #383 of 625 Old 02-24-2011, 01:23 PM

Looking REALLY good.
post #384 of 625 Old 02-25-2011, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Thanks for the kind words about my system.

Your granite looks very nice. I'm looking forward to coming over again soon and seeing the carpet, granite, etc. Do you think we can do some final EQing this next week?
post #385 of 625 Old 02-25-2011, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Carpet install is Monday.....28th.

We should be able to do some EQ Tuesday or that weekend?
post #386 of 625 Old 02-25-2011, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually I could try and get the OC 703 put up (with advice from Brad on strategy) and then we could EQ. I just wouldnt have the fabricmate or cover fabric yet....

Here is what I need help with...should I do a bass trap on the side? Is there enough room to make a decent one? worth it?

Measurement is 11.25" from corner to panel hole. I could overhang a panel into the hole on the wall a bit if I needed to and make a friction fit panel to place in there so it can be removed? Maybe easier than fabricmating around it?
post #387 of 625 Old 02-26-2011, 07:26 AM

As far as bass traps go, first we need to know the planned arrangement of speakers and subs. Are you planning to put the subs somewhere besides where they are currently sitting? Since you are making stands for your SHO10 speakers, I'm assuming they will go where the subs are. In current arrangement you could make a floor/wall corner trap under the screen but I'd wait until the carpet is in to see if you need any traps.

As far as the panel goes I would attach the OC703 to the back of your removable (slide in friction) panel. You could also place another sheet inside the panel or just in the deeper voids.

As long as the OC703 is on the wall you can re-EQ since the fabric itself has very little effect on the low freqs.

If there was a way to move the screen up about 3 inches you could co-locate the subs near the center and put nice corner traps on the front verticle walls.
post #388 of 625 Old 02-26-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudandClear View Post

As far as bass traps go, first we need to know the planned arrangement of speakers and subs. Are you planning to put the subs somewhere besides where they are currently sitting? Since you are making stands for your SHO10 speakers, I'm assuming they will go where the subs are. In current arrangement you could make a floor/wall corner trap under the screen but I'd wait until the carpet is in to see if you need any traps.

As far as the panel goes I would attach the OC703 to the back of your removable (slide in friction) panel. You could also place another sheet inside the panel or just in the deeper voids.

As long as the OC703 is on the wall you can re-EQ since the fabric itself has very little effect on the low freqs.

If there was a way to move the screen up about 3 inches you could co-locate the subs near the center and put nice corner traps on the front verticle walls.

Thanks for the info. I just PM'd a few people before I saw your reply...

I plan on moving the screen up around 3 inches (as high as I can go so that the center clears the screen and the subs can slide under the screen....)...

That will let us EQ better as well as a little better for the viewers. I find myself not being able to totally recline my head back while watching where the screen height is now. From the bar seating it is fine....

I don't think there is enough practical room on the left by the AV rack for a trap...but a vertical one made out of the 2" 703 could work on the right..I figure I need about a 12x12 corner and then I could get 4 triangles out of every sheet, right? (2x4' sheets). These could go vertically up the right corner/floor/ceiling junction. It is almost 12" to the panel hole. Then again, if we need it?

I figure for the electrical panel I could use 2-3" of OC703 and just wrap it with fabric. That should sit in there nicely.

I'm nervous to start this step, don't want to screw it up.

Barstools are in and put together, pictures later.
post #389 of 625 Old 02-26-2011, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The chairs end up working well with the room.....
post #390 of 625 Old 02-27-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Greg -

I think raising the screen would be good.
I forgot, do you have a door or other cover for the rack?
I just wonder about the gear lights shining on your screen.

Mike
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector , Benq W6000 1080p Dlp Projector , Emotiva Upa 700 Seven Channel Power Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page