post #541 of 625 Old 09-19-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

This is me, Old Clueless non-video gaming fart, pretending like I have half a clue what you are talking about.

Thats okay. Sometimes I think I should hang up the controller. And then three sweet games come out every fall.

F-20s should be finished by this weekend...baby steps.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 625 Old 09-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 54
who's bringing the DTS-10s? I'm quite interested to give those a listen at the GTG
post #543 of 625 Old 09-22-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

who's bringing the DTS-10s? I'm quite interested to give those a listen at the GTG

nebrunner has one and a growler.

EDIT: He has a thread under the dedicated theater section titled Omaha Theater #5.

I hope to go pick his stuff up next weekend and EQ before the GTG since it will take some time to try and match with the growler and room....
post #544 of 625 Old 09-25-2011, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Because I like to post huge pictures...

Progress...

post #545 of 625 Old 09-25-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
You are insane.
But I like that.
Keep posting pics...

Mike
post #546 of 625 Old 09-25-2011, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
^^ I assume that's where you're sleeping now too?
post #547 of 625 Old 09-27-2011, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

You are insane.
But I like that.
Keep posting pics...

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

You know, I had this foreboding feeling come over me; so about two weeks ago I hired a twice a month cleaning lady for the wife. She starts today.

Still sleeping in bed.

post #548 of 625 Old 09-27-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #549 of 625 Old 09-27-2011, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you going to the Badger/Neb game?

Mike

I had 4 wiscy season tickets in my cart and had my cc information entered. The browser just sat there thinking when I hit buy. So no go. I think the Skers have a hill to climb in this one. A tall hill.
post #550 of 625 Old 09-27-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

You know, I had this foreboding feeling come over me; so about two weeks ago I hired a twice a month cleaning lady for the wife. She starts today.

Still sleeping in bed.

Damn you are smooth
post #551 of 625 Old 09-27-2011, 08:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

Still sleeping in bed.

Quote:

Damn you are smooth

HO is really a model AVS'er for us all to emulate!

post #552 of 625 Old 09-27-2011, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Damn you are smooth

Quote:

HO is really a model AVS'er for us all to emulate!

Well, when you convince your wife that a basement theater is much more important than a three week European vacation, you have to make amends.
post #553 of 625 Old 10-03-2011, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Will be updating the random subs appearing in my basement in the GTG subwoofer testing thread linked in my sig. It is getting hairy. Have 10 MFW drivers and the CS 18.T at this point.

post #554 of 625 Old 10-11-2011, 06:20 AM

Liked: 10
Just subscribed to the thread and wanted to say whuts up to the posters. Im starting my theater which is already done but not really done lol meaning i bought a model home with a 14.4 x 20.5 x 9 dedicated theater room and its wired for in wall speakers (that im not gonna use and the rears are on the ceiling and would sit directly above to in front of second row seating) wired with component (which ill switch to hdmi), and wired for a ceiling mount projector (too close to the screen wall) with a faceplate at the front of the room (theres a closet at the back of the room where ill more than likely house the equipment). so i have sort of a blank slate and plan to work on it for about a year depending on how i choose to sound proof paint sconces etc... sorry for the novel..lol
post #555 of 625 Old 10-14-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I can't really begin to say how jealous I am of you. You have a very nice room. You may have said before...but lots of content on this thread.
How do those SHO speakers sound? I'm sure they are very dynamic for movies, but how do they sound for music? What was your point of reference system before you bought them? I'm just curious how you would compare them to a speaker with a dome tweeter as I can't decide if I should go horn next time I make a purchase. I'm torn as I have never heard a really good horn speaker, but am sure they are great. I wish I lived just a little closer as I'd love to come to the GTG. I live in Brookings, SD which is about 3 1/2-4 hrs.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
post #556 of 625 Old 10-14-2011, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

I can't really begin to say how jealous I am of you. You have a very nice room. You may have said before...but lots of content on this thread.
How do those SHO speakers sound? I'm sure they are very dynamic for movies, but how do they sound for music? What was your point of reference system before you bought them? I'm just curious how you would compare them to a speaker with a dome tweeter as I can't decide if I should go horn next time I make a purchase. I'm torn as I have never heard a really good horn speaker, but am sure they are great. I wish I lived just a little closer as I'd love to come to the GTG. I live in Brookings, SD which is about 3 1/2-4 hrs.

benclement-

Thanks for the compliments. It isn't the perfect room, but I think it really came together quite nicely with the room I had to work with. I only have a half basement on the house footprint, and our house isn't that large.

That said, I'm super happy with it-will be nice for years to come and resale. Probably overdid the bathroom....by a LOT.

I've heard AV123 speakers (music only), various Klipsch setups, and the SHOs. I'm really no speaker expert, but my subwoofer resume is growing quite fast. I've heard ribbon/dome tweeters for HT and frankly think waveguide/horns blast them out of the park, especially at louder levels. Not even close with most of the solid ID options you have out there for HT. And the overpriced speakers/subs they sell you in store for minimal power for $$$$$$ is ridiculous....

I would say the SHOs are a great HT speaker, music secondary. They really do have great detail and fit well with my subs crossed at 120hz. Crossing there really gets some great midbass. When CHT comes out with floorstanders I will probably try and upgrade my L and R to get even more midbass impact at that point.

Are you into DIY? There are some fun horn designs in the DIY thread. I think the SHOs are great for the money. I'd also look into the new eD products, as well as JBL PROs. The 3678 is an awesome horn with a great 15" driver for midbass. I don't have the room to try those though.

If I had thought of doing AT before I was half done with my basement, I'd probably have different speaker setups being tried like my subs-but I don't have room for larger monitors or centers. Next house.

Hit up people like tesseract-he is big into speakers and design and thought the SHOs did better than he expected for music.
post #557 of 625 Old 10-17-2011, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Did you get my pm's about the speaker cable for the DTS-10? You better try one of yours out and make sure it will work, there is that thing about 2 conductor vs 4 conductor and I don't know what you have.

Good idea on the cleaning person, next time I see you remind me to ask you how that is working out.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #558 of 625 Old 10-17-2011, 03:45 PM

Liked: 14
I really like the idea of where you have that little counter and stools right behind the chairs it must be nice sometimes just to sit there with a beer and friends while something is on the screen (Like the Pats!)
post #559 of 625 Old 10-17-2011, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

Did you get my pm's about the speaker cable for the DTS-10? You better try one of yours out and make sure it will work, there is that thing about 2 conductor vs 4 conductor and I don't know what you have.

Good idea on the cleaning person, next time I see you remind me to ask you how that is working out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster-s View Post

I really like the idea of where you have that little counter and stools right behind the chairs it must be nice sometimes just to sit there with a beer and friends while something is on the screen (Like the Pats!)

I have 2 conductor Speakons, so we may need what you have at home since it appears your DTS10 would be a 4 conductor....probably need that friday night so we have something to do.

The cleaning lady was and is money. Less stressful wife is happy wife. Actually she is pissed about this whole GTG, so I won't be spending any money on any HT stuff for like a year after this. Unless I'm sneaky.

The counter and stools work awesome roadster-perfect for watching some football on, sometimes I prefer to sit up there, well especially for having a drink and some food.

The Pats aren't too shabby-Danny Woodhead is a friend
post #560 of 625 Old 10-30-2011, 02:38 AM

Liked: 10
I just went through all the pages. Love this thread.
post #561 of 625 Old 10-30-2011, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumLock View Post

I just went through all the pages. Love this thread.

Thanks NumLock!

Will be changing up my setup soon regarding subs. I am selling the F20s and probably the CHT 18.1s. Will be going with either 1) 2 SubM HP, 2) 3-4 CHT 18.2, 3) DIY (4-18" high excursion, high power drivers (LMS/Pi/etc)

Also will move the projector back off the soffit if it works out, will install a door over the rack, and move towards RF or at least a consolidation of the remotes and use a ipad3 or similar device.

Woo Hoo, let the fun and happy wife begin!
post #562 of 625 Old 10-30-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks NumLock!

Will be changing up my setup soon regarding subs. I am selling the F20s and probably the CHT 18.1s. Will be going with either 1) 2 SubM HP, 2) 3-4 CHT 18.2, 3) DIY (4-18" high excursion, high power drivers (LMS/Pi/etc)

Also will move the projector back off the soffit if it works out, will install a door over the rack, and move towards RF or at least a consolidation of the remotes and use a ipad3 or similar device.

Woo Hoo, let the fun and happy wife begin!

Great "To Do" list!

Mike
post #563 of 625 Old 11-22-2011, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looking at threads and forums just gets me in trouble.

I want to experiment with mains and get a couple of the 15" TD drivers from AE and the QSC waveguides with the 1" compression driver like my SHO-10s, and the boxes that Mark Seaton is designing via WW Speaker Cabs.
post #564 of 625 Old 11-23-2011, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Looking at threads and forums just gets me in trouble.

I want to experiment with mains and get a couple of the 15" TD drivers from AE and the QSC waveguides with the 1" compression driver like my SHO-10s, and the boxes that Mark Seaton is designing via WW Speaker Cabs.

Totally with you! I am anxiously waiting to see all of the SEOS build threads when the AE drivers start shipping from the group buy.it will be my first real DIY (Not counting car subwoofer enclosures that I built in high school-wish I still had pictures of those!), so I am excited to get started. I toyed with the idea of making enclosures this weekend, but decided that I better wait to get allow the parts first to make sure that all is accounted for. Besides I have plenty of other projects to do and football to watch.

Your thread has been fun to follow. If you build the speakers please make a build thread!
post #565 of 625 Old 11-23-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

Totally with you! I am anxiously waiting to see all of the SEOS build threads when the AE drivers start shipping from the group buy.it will be my first real DIY (Not counting car subwoofer enclosures that I built in high school-wish I still had pictures of those!), so I am excited to get started. I toyed with the idea of making enclosures this weekend, but decided that I better wait to get allow the parts first to make sure that all is accounted for. Besides I have plenty of other projects to do and football to watch.

Your thread has been fun to follow. If you build the speakers please make a build thread!

btinindy-For sure. I will definitely have them here, if not in the DIY forum...though they are essentially just screwdriver ready like Mark has said he wants them to be.....still on the par with the F20s DIY wise.

Those TD15s are beast and sexy looking!

My next DIY project is installing a whisper belt drive garage opener and taking my loud chain one down this month!
post #566 of 625 Old 11-23-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Stop giving me speaker envy! Resistance is futile!

p.s. Happy Thanksgiving, and hope to see you online ...
post #567 of 625 Old 11-23-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

post #568 of 625 Old 11-28-2011, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mike

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

Any great Cyber Monday nabs? I'm still searching for that ~40inch LCD for my sidewall.
post #569 of 625 Old 12-10-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Plasma TV suggestions:

I'm going to upgrade the sidewall TV in my theater.

Looking at around a 50" tv for the sidewall....

Price range $550 (Zenith rebadged LG at sears) to $850 (Samsung PN50D550?).

I like the plasmas for the thiness and great picture in a light controlled room I can get.

Suggestions?
post #570 of 625 Old 12-10-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
^ We have a 42" Samsung and a 50" LG and I LOVE them both. I will say the Samsung has a slightly better picture but not enough to really notice. That said the Sammy cost $1300 and the LG we got on sale for somewhere around $6-700. I am a plasma fan PERIOD! I would recommend any deal you can get irregardless of the brand. LG, Samsung, Sharp are all good....Vizio is the next tier down but their higher end models are nice.

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector , Benq W6000 1080p Dlp Projector , Emotiva Upa 700 Seven Channel Power Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page