post #601 of 625 Old 07-18-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Man I love the look of those cones!  How come you didn't get the dust caps with the pretty logo!?  :P

Unless they were too shiny they wouldn't ever see grilles in my HT.......

The cones are the coolest I've seen barring the dustcap-less ones out there. They are really appealing to look at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

That looks menacingly cool yet very clean and compact! Great Job!! eek.gifcool.gif

Thanks!
Yeah, I should have cleaned up and got the blue chair out of the picture. They are a perfect fit for my room. Should have all 4 (just 2 now) up and running in a week when I get my cables in.

I hope to get a THX calibration of my projector/system by Luke Kamp then it is time to sit back and enjoy for a few years!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 625 Old 09-04-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Omaha Theater Tour in October........ if you are in the area sign up!
post #603 of 625 Old 09-09-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 334
You get the award for coolest Subwoofer name of 2012 and the 3rd greatest of all time. Next to Submersive (SeatonSound) and Captivator (JTR) Defibrillator is the next best name for a subwoofer I've ever come across. Any plans to shoot some video of that Omaha tour for those of use who are in lands far far away?
post #604 of 625 Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Sub project almost complete and probably how my front stage will look for a few years until I decide to upgrade mains or move to a different house and start all over again with a proper design.

Looks good.

Hi.
I haven't check in for a long time.
Now working on my HT a little (lamp change and planned re-calibration - 1st since 2009) and planning for friend's HT's.

I am intrigued by the new Oppo offering...
Official OPPO BDP-103/BDP-105 Anticipation Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428214/official-oppo-bdp-103-bdp-105-anticipation-thread

Don't know if I need/want to upgrade my BDP-83, but looking at for others.

- Mike
post #605 of 625 Old 09-10-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

You get the award for coolest Subwoofer name of 2012 and the 3rd greatest of all time. Next to Submersive (SeatonSound) and Captivator (JTR) Defibrillator is the next best name for a subwoofer I've ever come across. Any plans to shoot some video of that Omaha tour for those of use who are in lands far far away?

Thanks! They seem to have that effect on my chest when I'm really playing them. So far I've only had the amp @ 1/4 strength with all 4...about -5 on the AVR.
I'll have to wait until I have the house to myself and see what we have to work with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

Looks good.
Hi.
I haven't check in for a long time.
Now working on my HT a little (lamp change and planned re-calibration - 1st since 2009) and planning for friend's HT's.
I am intrigued by the new Oppo offering...
Official OPPO BDP-103/BDP-105 Anticipation Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428214/official-oppo-bdp-103-bdp-105-anticipation-thread
Don't know if I need/want to upgrade my BDP-83, but looking at for others.
- Mike

Mike,

If you want to upgrade, I (myself) may have a buyer (myself) for your BDP-83, though I'm not sure I'd really need it.

I know visual is my next upgrade.....

I'm also planning on painting my ceiling mouse ears black before the HT tour in October.

Your HT still is in the back of my head for the next house. I like the have a firm design it.....
post #606 of 625 Old 09-27-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Few Questions for ANYONE:

I have a bunch of can lights in my ceiling. I'm most likely going to paint my ceiling black here soon along with the lights.....any way to kill some of the resonance with more foam padding/etc on the bottoms of the can lights (that will press against the ceiling)?

What size TV would you recommend for my side wall? I'm looking around 40". Any GREAT DEALS at this time?
post #607 of 625 Old 09-29-2012, 06:17 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:

Sub project almost complete and probably how my front stage will look for a few years until I decide to upgrade mains or move to a different house and start all over again with a proper design.

That looks awesome I love the subs. Also I like the idea of the black around the screen thats a very good idea. Well done.

Frank
post #608 of 625 Old 10-13-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Added a 1000W dimmer to my 8 125W can lights in the theater area of the basement. I can finally dim the lights and am not standing on a ladder unscrewing them anymore!

Also painted the theater area ceiling black-finally. Had Sherwin Williams Tricorn Black, but had them add 3 oz more black to the gallon. Sprayed the can lights with a flat black meant for BBQ grills for the high temps.

CL6Jh.jpg

oWSKC.jpg

zNpLA.jpg

(Sorry, iphone pictures)

The reduced glare from movies that was occurring with the white ceiling is huge-I didn't think it would be that much of a difference to me.

I also had Parts Express send me a replacement Neutrik connector for my sub connections that was fault which took forever to find what the issue was.

Should be ready to go for the tour in a couple weekends.
post #609 of 625 Old 10-13-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Ceiling looks great, that has to have improved the experience a lot
post #610 of 625 Old 10-14-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sub project recently EQd. Check the UXL 18 thread linked in my signature.
post #611 of 625 Old 11-03-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Greg,

I really enjoyed your multi purpose room at the theater tour. I messed around with the idea of adding a bar to the back of my own but I just don't have the length for it.

What model numbers are your Monster Power units again? There is a used Monster Power HTS-3600 MKII for $150 here in KC.

And next time I come over I want the subs run with a house curve and then flat just for comparison sake. After looking at the Omnimic sweeps from the tour we can see that you were the only one who ran the bass flat. Even flat they were powerful though because standing far behind your bar my clothes were still flapping!
post #612 of 625 Old 04-03-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Greg,

I really enjoyed your multi purpose room at the theater tour. I messed around with the idea of adding a bar to the back of my own but I just don't have the length for it.

What model numbers are your Monster Power units again? There is a used Monster Power HTS-3600 MKII for $150 here in KC.

And next time I come over I want the subs run with a house curve and then flat just for comparison sake. After looking at the Omnimic sweeps from the tour we can see that you were the only one who ran the bass flat. Even flat they were powerful though because standing far behind your bar my clothes were still flapping!

Grant,

Sorry I never got back to you on this-maybe I did via PM on the Moster Power stuff. I believe one is a 5100 and a voltage stabilizer 2000. I'll have to look again though.

The tour rocked and was fun...I have just enough space down there to make that setup work and it fits in the house well. I tried to run the bass flat on purpose to give the effect of what we are all told is the best, and it works pretty well in there since I have enough displacement.

You and carps threads are fun to read-back to that! I fixed my leaky sub and so I'm just sitting tight with my setup. I'd like some Noesis mains but I'm spending money on other stuff (student loans!!!!)
post #613 of 625 Old 04-04-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, too weird that I have not been back to your thread since I wrote that post and then today I checked it and you basically just replied.

I still don't know what I will do with power conditioning, protection, etc. I have seen smart people here say that it is a good idea to have a ups for your projector to protect the bulb and just to get surge protectors for everything and that a cheap one will do. The only exception is if you have very expensive audio linear dacs and you may benefit from a power conditioner that puts out a sine wave. That is all over my head and they cost too much anyway so I will go with the ups and surge protectors for now. I don't know what kind yet.

I am probably only a few months away from finishing the room. I need to update my thread and plan to soon. Very busy with our 4 month old and 22 month old twins. They are into EVERYTHING! Note to self.......must use heavy duty door lock to keep them out of the theater!
post #614 of 625 Old 04-04-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear the sub is fixed. Did the output or frequency response change significantly? Subjective changes?

I like that you ran the bass flat for comparison. The other rooms were run way too hot. It was fun for short demo purposes but I would not want that on a daily basis. I hope I have enough headroom to run flat down to the low teens but you never know till you fire it up in a certain space. I do want to try flat first. Then a house curve that increases the low end. Then I don't know from there but can't wait to be at that point.

I know what you are saying about the Noesis. I would love to upgrade my speakers so I have something worthy of my room but my HT cash will be depleted (got a little out of hand really) so I am going to roll with my existing Klipsch RF-83's for now and look forward to an upgrade in a year or so.
post #615 of 625 Old 07-29-2013, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dropped the kids off at grandmas for a week of getting the wife into Game of Thrones and watching some movies that I have put off too long (Lincoln, Oz, etc) and POP goes the projector lamp.

Now I have to wait until Thursday - sad.

In other news I may put the house up for sale next spring or for sure the following so I'm stopping all HT expenditures in anticipation of designing 2.0.

I do need to upgrade the side TV..the 19" did not cut it once the lamp popped.

Anyone seen any great 40" plasma deals out there?
post #616 of 625 Old 08-02-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Now that is bad timing! Game of Thrones could be the first "tv"series I watch when my room is done(hopefully in a few months). I have need saving that one.

Very exciting to start to think about the possibilities of a new room. Are you tempted to go with a dedicated space this time? I can imagine that once you have a multi purpose large room great for hanging out with lots of people it would just be too hard to give up to get a small dark cave instead.

Btw your theater tour last year inspired me to buy The Art of Flight to show off my room. I just received it this week.
post #617 of 625 Old 08-02-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now that is bad timing! Game of Thrones could be the first "tv"series I watch when my room is done(hopefully in a few months). I have need saving that one.

Very exciting to start to think about the possibilities of a new room. Are you tempted to go with a dedicated space this time? I can imagine that once you have a multi purpose large room great for hanging out with lots of people it would just be too hard to give up to get a small dark cave instead.

Btw your theater tour last year inspired me to buy The Art of Flight to show off my room. I just received it this week.

Depending on the floor plan and if we decide to stay in the city limit area or get an acreage...then I'll know if I'll have a dedicated space.

I'm more likely to do a larger dedicated open area where up to 20-30 people would have an angle to the screen...think like 3 times as wide as my current setup or more...

I'll be doing AT no matter what and probably a couple feet longer diameter.

I need to come down to KC once all your rooms are done...good stuff you guys are doing!

Game of Thrones is AMAZING.
post #618 of 625 Old 08-04-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #619 of 625 Old 08-05-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Great setup but where would the kegerator be placed?
HuskerOmaha likes this.
post #620 of 625 Old 11-01-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great setup but where would the kegerator be placed?

Good point. Speaking of kegarators, I think I'm sold on one in the next basement.

Just not sure whether to get pony size or full size capable.....hmmm
Mike_WI likes this.
post #621 of 625 Old 12-25-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Saw you may order two more subs? Better do four more to keep up with all the crazies around here! tongue.gif

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #622 of 625 Old 12-25-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Or maybe two more uxl-18 drivers in a couple of ghorns and call it a day. Use your four sealed for room smoothing.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #623 of 625 Old 03-14-2014, 04:15 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Hell yeah. cool.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #624 of 625 Old 04-18-2014, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

How could that hold an 80 lb LCD vertical if you didn't want it tilted?

I realize this is 3 years old, but if you would've just flipped that mount 180 degrees, the weight of the speaker pulling on it would've actually tightened the mount instead of pulling it looser, which probably would've solved your issue.

If you need anything else, just let me know and I'll do what I can a few years late. smile.gif

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #625 of 625 Old 04-19-2014, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector , Benq W6000 1080p Dlp Projector , Emotiva Upa 700 Seven Channel Power Amplifier
Gear in this thread - W6000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page