AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudandClear View Post

Bummer!

Rather than cut the door, couldn't you just have it open the other direction? Instead of pushing it into the stairwell, you would pull it when standing at the top of the steps wanting to go down. That is if there is enough room in the entryway. When opening a stairwell door from the stair side and having to pull it towards yourself from below is a tricky thing to do anyway.

Or do this,

Cut a wedge off the top door corner to make it clear. Then just trim the doorframe to match. This would work if there isn't a real large amount of door you have to cut off.

Did the previous door have this problem?

Thanks for the suggestions.

The prior door opened out. But what you cant see is directly across from this door is the laundry/bathroom door and directly adjacent to the left of this same door is the garage door. 3 doors in the space 1 should be in.

2 of which open into each other (basement and garage).

I'll update you on what we decide...but I think we are swinging it to the right/out for now on the upper half.....hmmm..

A wedge would be approx 1/2 the door...but I like that idea too...

The whole reason I wanted a dutch door was so I could leave the top half open and leave the bottom half shut.

Keep airflow to basement, keep kids from not going where they shouldn't, and if someone needed to go to the garage, etc not hit the garage door when someone else was coming in (parties, etc).

Shucks.

-Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Shower looks great!

Quote:

When opening a stairwell door from the stair side and having to pull it towards yourself from below is a tricky thing to do anyway.

I would think you'd want the door to swing out for that very reason.

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #213 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Shower looks great!

I would think you'd want the door to swing out for that very reason.

Yeah, you guys are probably right. But for the past 3 years having the garage door hit the door to the basement a few times a week when it wasn't shut was really angering me and wifey.

I'll see what we can do....

On a happier note, I downloaded and installed REW v5!

-Greg

post #214 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Yeah, you guys are probably right. But for the past 3 years having the garage door hit the door to the basement a few times a week when it wasn't shut was really angering me and wifey.

I stopped repairing the paint on the basement door awhile ago because of this.

Quote:

On a happier note, I downloaded and installed REW v5!

Did you pick up an external sound card yet? I recently picked up the Radio Shack SPL meter, I just need to get a sound card for my netbook.

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #215 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post

IDid you pick up an external sound card yet? I recently picked up the Radio Shack SPL meter, I just need to get a sound card for my netbook.

I need an external sound card too - and a working home PC to go with it (desktop died, laptop died).

|
|
|
|
post #216 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I need an external sound card too - and a working home PC to go with it (desktop died, laptop died).

Quote:

I stopped repairing the paint on the basement door awhile ago because of this.

I mean...maybe I'll cut the top half ...in half and have it fold in on itself and stay hooked to the wall on the downstairs side of the door...(google dutch door if you have no idea what I'm talking about).

Did you pick up an external sound card yet? I recently picked up the Radio Shack SPL meter, I just need to get a sound card for my netbook.

DUDE! Just went to radioshack, 156th and maple...the person helping me had never heard of a SPL meter (been there 5 years) and knows they don't stock them. Said maybe the 177th and center? store maybe had one because it was bigger but she said probably have to buy online.

I was like....

Where did you get it?

I don't need an external sound card for my HTPC I don't think, but I'll probably use my laptop. Where to buy that?

I need an SPL meter by friday...irritating...

-Greg

post #217 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmm that's odd - I checked the RS site to see what stores nearby had it in stock, and asked the guy at the store where it was, and he knew straight away. You got stuck with a noob employee I guess.

|
|
|
|
post #218 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 11:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:

DUDE! Just went to radioshack, 156th and maple...the person helping me had never heard of a SPL meter (been there 5 years) and knows they don't stock them. Said maybe the 177th and center? store maybe had one because it was bigger but she said probably have to buy online.

I was like....

Where did you get it?

I don't need an external sound card for my HTPC I don't think, but I'll probably use my laptop. Where to buy that?

You will be able to setup with Audyssey.
The RS (or other) SPL meter can be helpful for confirming levels and doing subcrawls etc.

I think the Galaxy SPL meters are supposed to be better.

Some info:
http://www.chasehometheater.com/foru...ead.php?t=2938
(see SPL meter info)
Galaxy CM140

post #219 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
great pics! if the door being a$$ backward is your only screw up - then you have me beat by a lot! Can I ask one favor - when time permits can you post a few more pics of the electrical panel door / cover - I am looking for some more views that show them closed as well as a side view and a close up of the hinge.

thanks!
post #220 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler View Post

great pics! if the door being a$$ backward is your only screw up - then you have me beat by a lot! Can I ask one favor - when time permits can you post a few more pics of the electrical panel door / cover - I am looking for some more views that show them closed as well as a side view and a close up of the hinge.

thanks!

Mike,

Good point. I'll just order an SPL meter online...maybe the Galaxy? And screw around with that later.....

I should probably get some quality mounts first!

Jim,

I'll try and do that tonight or tomorrow for you (pics). Time to get to work.

Sometimes I think I'm putting TOO many pictures on here....like my wife asked the other night...is ANYONE ELSE posting on this? haha she is so funny!

-Greg

post #221 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm that's odd - I checked the RS site to see what stores nearby had it in stock, and asked the guy at the store where it was, and he knew straight away. You got stuck with a noob employee I guess.

Brad,

I didn't do much store research, had to hit HyVee (grocery) and it was nearby...

The worst part of running around is taking my 18 mo old in/out of the car so much!

-Greg

post #222 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:

Mike,

Good point. I'll just order an SPL meter online...maybe the Galaxy? And screw around with that later.....

I should probably get some quality mounts first!

Jim,

I'll try and do that tonight or tomorrow for you (pics). Time to get to work.

Sometimes I think I'm putting TOO many pictures on here....like my wife asked the other night...is ANYONE ELSE posting on this? haha she is so funny!

When you are sharing more pics of your HT build -- and mounts, grout, hinges, etc. -- than your kids -- well then you have a problem.
Welcome to AVS...

Mike

post #223 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was like....

Where did you get it?

I got mine when I was in Grand Island over New Years. They had plenty in stock.

I have an X-fi card I could put in my HTPC, but would rather just get an external for my Netbook as I pass sound through HDMI with the HTPC and there would be no other reason to add another component, heat, driver, and whatever other mess it has.

I'll have to look again, but bookmarked a $50 external that people have used with REW. Now what computer (or phone) did I bookmark that on?

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

post #224 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
lol.. too many pics.. never!
post #225 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

HuskerOmaha, are you in West O? I'm out near 192nd and Harrison, love the progress so far.
post #226 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

When you are sharing more pics of your HT build -- and mounts, grout, hinges, etc. -- than your kids -- well then you have a problem.
Welcome to AVS...

Mike

I told her there are many things worse than me taking too many pictures and posting to 'anonymous" people on avsforum. I think she is more worried I haven't actually met anyone..that will change sooner or later

Quote:

I got mine when I was in Grand Island over New Years. They had plenty in stock.

I have an X-fi card I could put in my HTPC, but would rather just get an external for my Netbook as I pass sound through HDMI with the HTPC and there would be no other reason to add another component, heat, driver, and whatever other mess it has.

I'll have to look again, but bookmarked a $50 external that people have used with REW. Now what computer (or phone) did I bookmark that on?

Let me know if you find that. I'll just order that and a galaxy tonight from work. Website suggestions? Partsxpress? Others? amazon? newegg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post

HuskerOmaha, are you in West O? I'm out near 192nd and Harrison, love the progress so far.

150th and Maple. I have a bunch of friends down on Harrison around 186th or so right south of there.

Mike and others: Which Galaxy to buy with a Mic out? I want to utilize REW on the laptop!

-Greg

post #227 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 02:47 PM

Keep the pictures coming. It keeps our interest higher and helps us to feel the excitement!

I used a M-Audio external soundcard/pre-amp and a Behringer microphone when i calibrated my room with REW. I also bought a BFD for $99 at Guitar Center to have a multichannel PEQ for smoothing out bumps. I can get you model numbers tonight if you are interested.
post #228 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Keep the pictures coming. It keeps our interest higher and helps us to feel the excitement!

I used a M-Audio external soundcard/pre-amp and a Behringer microphone when i calibrated my room with REW. I also bought a BFD for $99 at Guitar Center to have a multichannel PEQ for smoothing out bumps. I can get you model numbers tonight if you are interested.

Yes Please.

And you got it on the pictures! I'm sure I'll freak out with the AV equipment....

-Greg

post #229 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 06:49 PM

I used the M-Audio MobilePre USB http://cgi.ebay.com/M-Audio-MobilePr...item4cf48015c4 and the microphone was the Behringer ECM8000 http://cgi.ebay.com/Behringer-ECM800...item19c286dca4.

I chose these after reading a bunch on the REW forums and Ethan Winer's forums from Home Theater Shack website.... There was also a really good complete set of instructions on how to set this up, calibrate it and create PEQ filters in the BFD so I went tis route to simplify. Now it's been over 3yrs since I did this and I haven't used the gear since. I was able to get my MFW15s flat down to ~15hz and then they rolled off pretty steep which is normal for ported subs. I also have a Rat Shack SPL meter. I also chose this mic and preamp because it was highly rec'd due to it's ability to measure accurately in the lowest bass regions. If I recall correctly the rat shack meters are pretty inaccurate below 30hz. This wasn't the end all in accuracy but it seemed to give a good compromise between $$ and performance. I think I set my spending limit at around $100 for the mic and preamp/soundcard.

As far as the SPL meter goes. I didn't really use it much at all. It will only be useful to give you a reference point for your frequency response plot. I really didn't care if my subs were playing at 100dB or 120db as long as the response was flat and sounded good at the level I was playing with. I knew it was shaking the foundation of the house when cranked so it was plenty loud enough when needed.

Mike
post #230 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is what I'm looking at getting. I don't want to spend much as I can't imagine I'd get a lot of use out of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sound-Blaster-X-...item35af097379

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

post #231 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 09:09 PM

I just read through this entire thread - looks AWESOME and gives me some good encouragement for something similar to this in the future for myself :-)

Everything looks really nice and you are working insanely fast on it.

I'll be watching to see the end as it really looks well done. Greetings from Ames, Iowa!
post #232 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderland View Post

I just read through this entire thread - looks AWESOME and gives me some good encouragement for something similar to this in the future for myself :-)

Everything looks really nice and you are working insanely fast on it.

I'll be watching to see the end as it really looks well done. Greetings from Ames, Iowa!

Pregnant wife due in early April is making me work faster than I imagined..I want a few weeks of playing movies at reference until I can't unless I'm home alone! Thanks for the comments..(Go Cyclones?)..this is going to be a fun, though rather expensive hobby...

UPDATE: Sink is mounted..pictures to follow. Thankfully the door clears the sink by an INCH or so when thrown all the way open. I was pretty adamant about that not opening out...so luckily it is working! I love not measuring enough and things working out....

JIM HERE ARE YOUR PICTURES!

If you need more pictures, I'll just burn a CD and mail you all the diagrams, specs, pics I can.

(Cabinet hinge, showing the difference)

Side View

Open

Shut

I originally wanted the frame to inset into the cutout of the drywall and then just have the covers past the plane of the wall..but I couldn't get hinges that would work from my cabinet guy.

My Carada frame clears/leans against the doors. I'm going to move it up a couple inches so that you don't see the edge of the cabinets poking out. I know that isn't the perfect offset from my lens requirement for the picture (Don't yell at me Erksine group!!!) but I'll see what it looks like...

-Greg

post #233 of 625 Old 01-19-2011, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sink is mounted...all that is left to mount is the bar sink once counters are in (Feb 17th....)

Any suggestions for a cool bar sink? Stainless steel is the one requirement.

I'd buy it online if anyone has fun suggestions...

Pictures...

Door clearing the sink (thank you very much!)

Was able to hide MOST of the pipes...but what can you do.

Going with brushed bronze or whatever they are calling it....

And it works!

-Greg

post #234 of 625 Old 01-20-2011, 07:17 AM

Wow! All I can say is Wow! DIY at its best.
post #235 of 625 Old 01-20-2011, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just needs some stain here and there...then the poly.

Woodworking DONE for this!

Closeup this thing looks a lot more expensive than it cost....

These can lights and camera flash don't do it justice...

My German Shepherd follows me everywhere..

I still think stone veneer would have looked cool..but this was cheaper, easier, and more practical.

-Greg

post #236 of 625 Old 01-20-2011, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ended up doing a total DIY and we cut the top half of the door in half top to bottom. Hinged it down the middle. It looks pretty darn good.

Pictures later...and problem solved!

-Greg

post #237 of 625 Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hope the white + dark wood looks good...I think it will.....

Opinions?

Can't go back now! Will have to paint the doors of course...and trim...just primer on for now..

CHT CS 18.T (2-18" subs) and the 3-SHO-10 Speakers...

AMP.

Amp just barely squeezed into the rack...about as wide as the subs..

-Greg

post #238 of 625 Old 01-20-2011, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh ya, that is what I call a good fit.

Storage area seen behind rack...will close up back later...

Looks great in the rack.

Now just need to figure out how to get 12 GA run behind the framing of the screen wall to the far sub spot (by window). I ran it from the window sub access (far right corner of screen wall) to the left sub access (under rack area, left corner screen wall) with 12 GA. I also ran a RCA from the rack through smurf to the left corner screen wall access for the sub. I was planning on putting the amp on top of the sub...but want the cleaner look of racking it.

I need to take the RCA out. ...run 12 GA from rack to the first sub spot...then run 12 GA from the rack to the 2nd sub spot...hope I can fish it!

The start of disorganization.

-Greg

post #239 of 625 Old 01-21-2011, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Michael (desertdome) lent me some SPL meters to get some stuff dialed in over the next week.

Unboxed the CHT stuff and it looks great!

Pics later...

-Greg

post #240 of 625 Old 01-21-2011, 10:10 AM

Looks great. You do nice work. I'd think you were a professional home contractor by the quality of your work.

You might consider moving that 1000w amp up near the top of the rack. I don't know that particular amp and how hot it gets but just in case.

Waiting on pictures of the subs and SHO10s! As far as getting the speaker wire to the subs: since you are going with carpet you can just tuck it under the baseboard and once the carpet is in place you won't see it.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector , Benq W6000 1080p Dlp Projector , Emotiva Upa 700 Seven Channel Power Amplifier
Gear in this thread - W6000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page