post #241 of 625 Old 01-21-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudandClear View Post

Looks great. You do nice work. I'd think you were a professional home contractor by the quality of your work.

Hah, yah right. It is coming along though. The granite people pissed me off today. Drug my wife all the way with kid in snow to granite place. (distributor). Picked out a slab. Left to go get a mount for my Center channel...guy from fabricator/installer calls...oh that slab is $500 more to install. Distributor told me they were the same price.

I told both I was "pissed off" and might not talk to them again.

Seriously, why is this so hard..give me the straight price while I'm there and quit acting like car salesmen.

Anyways....

Gonna start taking more pics soon..

You might consider moving that 1000w amp up near the top of the rack. I don't know that particular amp and how hot it gets but just in case.

I've been trying to figure it all out...I may do that...but my HTPC and Xbox360 I want at arm height to use...I'm running out of room!

Waiting on pictures of the subs and SHO10s! As far as getting the speaker wire to the subs: since you are going with carpet you can just tuck it under the baseboard and once the carpet is in place you won't see it.

Good call...screw trying to fish it behind my wall like I was planning to!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 625 Old 01-21-2011, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Trim isn't done yet....but I guess we will just plug 'er in!

A 'lil Coors Light never hurt anybody..
post #243 of 625 Old 01-21-2011, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay...I figured I might as well get the projector mounted one of these days...

I have no seats installed to watch anything so the temptation isn't as great...

These things are huge.

Yes, the feet look funny. But otherwise everything looks awesome!
post #244 of 625 Old 01-21-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mounted.

Not the way I imagined it...but it works for now and fills the frame almost spot on. I'll tweak later once the carpet gets in....

The four adjustment points need springs added for ease of use....and maybe should have used 6 of those..but it works..
post #245 of 625 Old 01-21-2011, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Used a Sanus mount from NFM here in Omaha. $68 was way too much for that puppy. The monoprice mounts are stressed with my lightweight heights, I bet they would have bent with the SHO-10s.

I'll probably buy a couple more of those LCD mounts...they are smooth and really adjustable...
post #246 of 625 Old 01-21-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have to work at 6am otherwise I'd be down there calibrating....

I tried Audyssey but it wants to think I don't have subs apparently...

Brother came over from Lincoln to help me hang the speakers....

So, I kind of just want to shut a door on this....but will be fun to organize down the road...
post #247 of 625 Old 01-21-2011, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As fast as you're burning through this, you need to come over here so I can put you to work!

Looking good!

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #248 of 625 Old 01-22-2011, 05:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Great pics.
For your rack area will you have some way to block the light coming out from all the electronics?

Mike
post #249 of 625 Old 01-22-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
As fast as you're burning through this, you need to come over here so I can put you to work!

You sure you don't want to come over and help me organize the rack, show me how to calibrate so I don't have to read it all?

Looking good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
Great pics.
For your rack area will you have some way to block the light coming out from all the electronics?

Yeah, I have my rack hole measured, I need to order the glass. I'm getting a grey annealed 1/4"? that should let you see what lights are on (cool factor) but not let the light shine directly through the glass messing with the projection screen...etc...

Mike
Hope to do a couple things tonight and get more pictures up...invert Center so waveguide is near screen....and maybe organize cables and/or try and calibrate.....

EDIT: Parents are in town and might have to attend a birthday party...we will see what happens!
post #250 of 625 Old 01-22-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post
Mounted.

Not the way I imagined it...but it works for now and fills the frame almost spot on. I'll tweak later once the carpet gets in....
Wow! Getting really close to show time

As far as the projector mounting goes I might suggest getting a white power cord with a 90 degree bend at the plug and it should pretty much disappear..

How did you mount that LCD bracket to your SHO10 center? Did you have to drill holes in your new speakers
post #251 of 625 Old 01-22-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Will be interested to hear what you think of the sub once dialed in, I haven't heard one yet. Oh, and I guess I have the same question as Mike re: the av rack next to the screen, and how you'll tame the lights to ensure it doesn't throw a glow on the left side of the screen. A solid door, or smoked glass?
post #252 of 625 Old 01-22-2011, 09:13 AM

Do you have a lot of background in home improvement projects?

Everything looks very well done.
post #253 of 625 Old 01-22-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudandClear View Post

Wow! Getting really close to show time

As far as the projector mounting goes I might suggest getting a white power cord with a 90 degree bend at the plug and it should pretty much disappear..

That's a great idea actually. I'll keep it in mind..right now I'm trying to just get stuff installed and tweak and make things "show quality" over the next few weeks...after we get carpet in and I can install chairs, subs for final spots, EQ, etc..I'll be ready to do stuff like that. Good idea though.

How did you mount that LCD bracket to your SHO10 center? Did you have to drill holes in your new speakers

Oh boy, did I drill that sucker! 4 lag screws (1-1.5", I forget) into that puppy. It ain't going nowhere! The crossover is at the bottom of the speaker (or as far as I remember Craig saying...) so we are good. Hey, I got sound coming out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Will be interested to hear what you think of the sub once dialed in, I haven't heard one yet. Oh, and I guess I have the same question as Mike re: the av rack next to the screen, and how you'll tame the lights to ensure it doesn't throw a glow on the left side of the screen. A solid door, or smoked glass?

Yeah, since I'm totally new to "dailing in" anything...might be a few days of trying to figure that out, let alone getting into REW and posting some of those...then have to do it all over once I get my velvet curtains and carpet of course! The rack hole will have a smoked, gray, annealed 1/4" glass door on it. I want to be able to see all of the lights, and not have them shine through.....had a guy from a glass company check it out and he said that should work for me....I need to get a piece for the cabinets above the bar sink as well..trying to figure out whether to go clear or something cool like frosted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderland View Post

Do you have a lot of background in home improvement projects?

Home improvement? Not too much. I grew up a farm kid, so maybe that helps with some stuff. I've asked a LOT of friends for help. Best friend is an electrician, have another college friend that works with doors/trim, hired out drywall and other certain things (running plumbing lines from house lines, etc). I'm actually to the point now where I don't know how to give my room the finished look. Any help there is appreciated...to me the screen wall needs treatments...maybe like a black acoustic fabric or 2x4' panels cut to fit around everything....ideas?

Everything looks very well done.

Other things....

1) Is there a thread on here that would work best for me to start getting my hands dirty calibrating this weekend? Go to the Onkyo 1007 thread for my AVR? Go to all the REW calibration threads? Mike has a bunch listed in his build thread and has a thread on CHT forums....? Anyone any newbies found the best "dumbed down" to start with?

2) Any other thoughts for countertop ideas? Want granite...but I'm annoyed at the process right now. Pouring a concrete bar and staining it is probably not going to go over well with the wife...anything else?

3) Do I try and throw in any treatments prior to carpet? I like Brad's basetraps...I'm not sure how I could make mini ones of those..I've heard you can never have too much...and I should have enough power with the CS-18's....
post #254 of 625 Old 01-22-2011, 10:20 AM

An affordable DIY option for bar countertop would be to use large tiles. I used 18 inch porcelan tiles that were finished to look like polished marble and matched the floor in my theater kitchen. If you get ones big enough to cover the depth then you only have seams in one direction. I used hardwood chair rail trim to cover the front and stained it to match my cabinets & other woodwork. I placed the tiles very close together to minimize the look of grout lines. Came out as good or better than I hoped for a low $$ alternative to granite. Excuse the cds on the counter. The tall cabinet on the end is for cd storage but these weren't filed away yet.
LL
post #255 of 625 Old 01-22-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Your screen wall doesn't have a lot of room for traps, but you could make some tri-corner traps in the top corners - wall-wall-ceiling intersection. You could also do something at the screen wall floor intersection, but not sure that that wouldn't look odd. What about the rear of the room, did you post pics of that I don't recall.

Do you have a riser? If so, that could be a trap.

I like the idea of flipping the center - maybe also elevate the L & R - not sure if you were planning on keeping them on top of the subs, or mount high like the center, or if the outlets up high are for that.

I've seen granite tiles used, and they look nice, and much cheaper than a slab.

For Audyssey, try doing full auto first, double check that you're set to small LCR and 80 Hz.

BTW, what does the cabinet behind the right side of the screen lead to?
post #256 of 625 Old 01-22-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Your screen wall doesn't have a lot of room for traps, but you could make some tri-corner traps in the top corners - wall-wall-ceiling intersection. You could also do something at the screen wall floor intersection, but not sure that that wouldn't look odd. What about the rear of the room, did you post pics of that I don't recall.

The rear has the wetbar/cabinet area and the bathroom...really nowhere for a trap other than the wall to utility room corner...potential there...but that might not help much?

Do you have a riser? If so, that could be a trap.

Nope, just that awesome bar without a counter!

I like the idea of flipping the center - maybe also elevate the L & R - not sure if you were planning on keeping them on top of the subs, or mount high like the center, or if the outlets up high are for that.

The L/R will be off the subs and a foot or two higher...where those outlet boxes are above the subs..I think you can see over the SHOs actually...

I've seen granite tiles used, and they look nice, and much cheaper than a slab.

They look nice, I'd probably need 22-24" depth for the bar (which since I was planning a slab I have no support for across the side where you are watching from)....and then I'd need a different solution for the kitchenette area...

For Audyssey, try doing full auto first, double check that you're set to small LCR and 80 Hz.

Roger that...

BTW, what does the cabinet behind the right side of the screen lead to?

I'm glad you spotted that piece of ugliness...that is the electrical cabinet...I might move the screen up a bit to cover the top...but when the lights off you obviously don't notice it...one of those things I wish I could have done an AT screen but wife didn't want that and the room isn't too large as it is.....(why I kind of want to make a ton of 2x4 acoustic panels and put them all around the screen...including over that and around all the speakers...)

LC- I like your idea for tiles and people have told me that as well....hmm
post #257 of 625 Old 01-23-2011, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey guys,

I'm a little overwhelmed with the whole "calibration" thing. Just run audyssey and try that out? How do I know if the subs are EQ'd right? Feels like......?
post #258 of 625 Old 01-23-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Before worrying about EQ for the subs, make sure you've got the best location for them. Play some bass heavy music and try each of the seating locations. Does the bass sound right from there, or lacking somewhat, or boomy (favors some frequencies over others)?

In my room fir example, I can tell straight away that the room is accentuating one LF area a lot - feels like a certain frequency is "droning", dominates other LF content. Also, you'll probably notice that bass feels much stronger as you walk to the rear corners of the room.

Since you have two subs, I'd start with just one turned on, and do the bass crawl: place the sub temporarily in your main seating position, and then crawl around to various potential sub locations and see where it sounds best to you. Once you've found the best spot, move the sub there and you should have similar response back at the seating position.

For the second sub, repeat (keeping the first sub on and in it's best position); or just try a position symmetrical to the first sub.

For EQ - you'll want to measure using REW mic'ed from your seating position at ear level - then generate some FR and waterfall charts using log scale, and post them, we can see what you're dealing with. Could just luck out and need nothing, who knows.
post #259 of 625 Old 01-23-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reply. As long as my wife doesn't guilt me tonight with lack of "family time", I am going to try Brad's suggestion out after the Jets/Steelers game.....

Should I run Audyssey for the other speakers first/shut subs off? Start out doing what you said for subs?

There is just so much information out there on calibration. Makes me want to run out and buy that Omnimic or whatever from partsxpress for $298.

Thanks for the info..I've read through the bossobass pdf as well a couple times...I'll start there!
post #260 of 625 Old 01-23-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Run Audyssey full auto, then try out diff sub locations (crawl), you'll need to do Audyssey again if the subs moved.
post #261 of 625 Old 01-24-2011, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 205
You're making some good progress. I personally don't think changing the center speaker will make any noticeable difference from the listening position. I would spend time on completing things and leave that for a later time. I have the same Dayton amp and it never even gets warm. I wouldn't worry about its location in the rack.

I can stop by after work tomorrow and we can run through some things and check your levels. You are off tomorrow, right? Just because you run Audyssey doesn't mean that the bass management in your receiver is set correctly, either.
post #262 of 625 Old 01-24-2011, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

You're making some good progress. I personally don't think changing the center speaker will make any noticeable difference from the listening position. I would spend time on completing things and leave that for a later time. I have the same Dayton amp and it never even gets warm. I wouldn't worry about its location in the rack.

I can stop by after work tomorrow and we can run through some things and check your levels. You are off tomorrow, right? Just because you run Audyssey doesn't mean that the bass management in your receiver is set correctly, either.

Michael,

Turning that center channel around is definitely a 2-man job...I'll have to wait until I have someone there to assist. Suckers ain't light!

That would be great if you could swing by tomorrow.....I'm going to try and do the polarity test tonight and maybe run audyssey once from 8 positions etc...and see what it does...

Yep, I have the whole day off tomorrow. Trying to get the trim and doors done so I can call the carpet people.
post #263 of 625 Old 01-24-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:

A 'lil Coors Light never hurt anybody..

Now you're just making me thirsty.. I have to warn you though.. the coors light is what kept slowing down my project.
post #264 of 625 Old 01-24-2011, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Was wondering who all is going to be stopping by Saturday for a little HT action I thought I would pick up a couple new Blurays to check out

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #265 of 625 Old 01-24-2011, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

Was wondering who all is going to be stopping by Saturday for a little HT action I thought I would pick up a couple new Blurays to check out

I should be there, and I'll be bringing another guy big into HT, he just doesn't post much on here.

Jason, Michael, others?
post #266 of 625 Old 01-24-2011, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Take what you will +/- from the finishes...but they looked pretty good and have no shipping damage! These are Craigsub's last run of this finish and box construction..he is moving to integrated legs and the harder finish.

I'll more than likely be upgrading to the new enclosure per Craig's offer to everyone on the forum site.

I think eventually I'll rub the corrugated box image off the sub.....

Center

Will mount the L/R next week or weekend...

Maybe I'll get the wife to pose...but my GSD was all for it!

EDIT: Wish I would have made the AT screen work...I now believe that is the only way to go!
post #267 of 625 Old 01-24-2011, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

I hope to come. I checked with my wife this evening and she has some pictures planned for 2 pm on Saturday. I'm trying to get the time moved down.
post #268 of 625 Old 01-24-2011, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey, personally I'm glad that the first runs had some scratches and nicks - those scratches and nicks saved me over $1000!
post #269 of 625 Old 01-25-2011, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
desertdome

If you can make it that would be great. How long will pictures take ?

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #270 of 625 Old 01-25-2011, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Home Theater Shack website....excel download...

FREQ / RAW SPL / SPL (comp)
16 84 96.7
18 83 93.6
20 84 93.1
22 86 93.6
25 92 98.5
28 92 97.3
31.5 94 98.4
36 95 98.6
40 96 99
45 98 100.4
50 102 104
56 97 98.6
63 95 96.3
71 90 91.1
80 85 86
89 85 85.9
100 80 80.8
111 88 88.8
125 82 82.8

I guess it would have been easier to attach the excel now that I typed that all!

I'll get a graph up later....
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector , Benq W6000 1080p Dlp Projector , Emotiva Upa 700 Seven Channel Power Amplifier
Gear in this thread - W6000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page